View Full Version : Question about boots...

DigiGirlMimi
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
First of all, I'm incredibly new to this whole figure skating thing. I always wanted to learn how to as a kid but never had the money or opportunity. So, after wanting to start skating for an incredibly long time, I finally signed up for lessons.

Since I'm 21 I'm in the adult bracket at my local rink, and since there are very few adults taking lessons they combined us with some older kids in Basic 5.

All in all I decided to take the plunge and buy my own boots since the rentals were the most uncomfortable I had ever had the displeasure of using. The person I talked to at my local skate shop suggested the Jackson Ultima Glacier 520. Right now I'm trying to master the two foot turn so I can catch up and start learning the 3 turn.

I read some reviews on the boot and it sounds like it might just hamper my progress. Is that the case, and if so what boot should I be looking at instead?

Thanks in advance!

Artemis
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Digi, and welcome.

You might want to post your question in the "On Ice - Skaters" part of this board: http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 That's where questions & discussions about equipment, elements, etc. usually go. You'll also find a lot of other adult skaters there, and you can share your stories.

sarahspins
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
If you're looking at Jackson's, definitely look at something higher up than the glacier... that's a recreational skate, and if you plan on staying with skating, it's something you will "outskate" fairly quickly.

Your height and weight also play a part. If you're taller or heavier than average, you will need a stronger boot than someone smaller.

sk8tmum
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
There are a lot of things that will go into deciding which boot is best for you. Indelicately, the three that are important are height, weight and budget; the general one, what do you want to get out of it? Do you want to be able to do basic skating and some turns and that, or are you planning on learning more advanced figure skating?

Basically, a tiny lightweight adult will need a different skate than one like my adult-sized kid, who is 5'9" and 135 pounds and lands doubles!!!!! Just as an example ...

Skittl1321
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
As an adult who is about to start 3-turns, I'd start with the Jackson Freestyle, the Jackson Competitor if you are heavy.

I agree you'll outskate the glacier very quickly. Are the blades interchangeable on that one? You'll want to find the boot that allows a low level freestyle blade (like what comes with the freestyle- it sounds like an impressive boot, but it's very much entry level), and if the boot has riveted on blades, you can't change it when the time comes.

Audryb
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I second the Jackson Freestyles as first skates.

I bought mine after my second Adult 1 basic skills class, and I'm still wearing the same pair 2 years later working on the flip jump! They were easy to break in, flexible enough for me as a complete beginner, but have held up well for skating 1-3 times/ week. I'm short and weigh about 105 lbs, so for someone heavier they might not last 2 years, but then again if you don't jump they might.

sk8tmum
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Jackson Freestyles are great beginner skates; the ones below (Classiques?) aren't bad either. However, not everyone's feet fit Jacksons! If you've got skinny narrow feet or heels, then, a low level Riedell may be good. But, the best thing is a good fitter ... is there a coach at your rink that you could ask for a suggestion as to where to go? Or, ask a "good skater" at the rink who is friendly and helpful (or a parent if everyone is little) for a suggestion.

DigiGirlMimi
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum ^^;; Thanks for moving it to the right place.

And thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm 5'7" and about 130 lbs. My foot is definitely not narrow. It's about average width if not a slight bit wider.

I went to a different location of the same store (since they're the only ones that have any boots on hand) just to try some on and talked to someone much more knowledgeable about them and was told pretty much the same :) Now to just wait til I have the money again.