View Full Version : How to make the most of skating lessons?

ktm
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey, I've admired figure skating for quite a long time, but I have only just now been able to register for lessons. In the next week or so I will begin with a group and we will be practicing once a week for about 8 weeks. This is quite an expensive pursuit, and I doubt I'll be able to make it over to the rink to practice more than once a week--twice, if I'm lucky.

I really want to learn to skate and compete one day, but how do I make the most of so few lessons and so little on-ice training for the time being? If I know what the instructor will be teaching on a given day, should I try to look up how-to videos and research tips behind this-or-that beforehand?? What do you do to make the most of that time???

I'm just nervous, I guess. I'm currently 18, and I really want to take advantage of my youth while I can. I'm naturally athletic (albeit currently a bit inflexible), and I feel that if I play my cards right, I could do well.

Thanks in advance for all advice/tips!

Lsk8
03-04-2010, 07:50 PM
KTM
great that you are stating lessons. Here are a few ideas to help you get the most of them.

Arrive ready to skate--by this I mean get there a bit ahead and spend about 10-15 minutes warming up before you get on the ice. You could jog, around the arena or in place, jump rope or if that's too strenuous just march in place. Try to be on the ice a bit before the lesson also, so you can practice what you learned the prior week. I always try to have 15 minutes on the ice before my lesson so I don't spend lesson time getting warmed up.

Try to have additional ice time after the lesson to go over whatever you worked on.

Consider keeping a journal to jot down notes you can refer to when you practice.

I don't recommend the UTube type instructional videos, I haven't found them to actually explain what to do, just show you the move.

Many of my students try to learn from other kids. I'd say wait til your coach gets you started on a move before you try it. If you try to learn on your own you will likely just learn it wrong, pick up bad habits that are hard to break.

Good luck and enjoy your skating.

iSk8Dance
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I'd agree with the previous post.

The moves and positions are so unnatural at first. It helps practising off-ice - even if it's just the kitchen floor in socks.

Turns (3-turns, mohawks) are the first real obstacle to progressing. Some people find 3-turns easy but mohawks hard, or vice-versa - sometimes depending if your fett stick out or not. You can practice these off-ice - like feet position for mohawks even standing around in a queue - although you do tend to look a bit like the labour exchange queue in 'The Full Monty' (Brit film set in Sheffield - home of John Wilson Skates).

kayskate
03-13-2010, 08:30 AM
You mentioned lack of flexibility. You can work on this off ice w an instructional video or at the gym in a pilates or yoga class. This will help you be ready for spirals and such when you get to that pt.

Kay