View Full Version : Any advice on outside mohawks? (Foxtrot and 14step ones)

aussieskater
03-02-2010, 05:27 AM
I can't do them!! (Well, not without pushing against my partner to shove me onto the second outside edge - and I'll never pass the dances with that technique!) I know I need to learn to do them solo, and I've spent several hours doing nothing but trying to get them, with very little progress.

I can hold the first edge. I can hold the second edge. (Better than the first says coach.) I'm lucky in that I have very good turnout. Despite all this, I absolutely cannot change feet without doing a bee-yoo-tiful choctaw (and toe scraping into the bargain).

Any hints anyone?

fsk8r
03-02-2010, 06:10 AM
A really really strong check helps, and keeping your weight over the first foot as you change feet (stops you toe-scraping on the back edge).

phoenix
03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Major plie into and out of the mohawk. If you're doing a choctaw & have good turnout, I'd suspect that you are looking down, therefore your shoulders are coming forward/hips go back, therefore your weight shifts & puts you on an inside edge.

You should do the entrance/step/exit with shoulders pressed back against the circle, and projecting your sternum slightly up toward the stands, as it were. Your body has to stay in a straight line from hips to top of head, so you are actually leaning backward a bit as you go through this section.

Hope that helps!

kayskate
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Have you worked on the 8-step mohawk. I don't do the dances you mentioned, but the 8 step may put the mohawk in an easier context making it simpler to learn and then apply in your dance.

Kay

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't think the 8-step exercise is part of the Moves in Australia, where the OP is based; it isn't here, either.

The only way I can do the 14-step Mohawk is making sure I'm facing out of the circle; then it's easy - and when I was learning the Ten-Fox earlier this year, it was a doddle in comparison as the tempo is slower. But we will not talk about the Foxtrot mohawk.... no, we will not go there!

doubletoe
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Major plie into and out of the mohawk. If you're doing a choctaw & have good turnout, I'd suspect that you are looking down, therefore your shoulders are coming forward/hips go back, therefore your weight shifts & puts you on an inside edge.

You should do the entrance/step/exit with shoulders pressed back against the circle, and projecting your sternum slightly up toward the stands, as it were. Your body has to stay in a straight line from hips to top of head, so you are actually leaning backward a bit as you go through this section.

Hope that helps!

Yes! Everything Phoenix said! Deep plie (ankle bend) and press shoulder blades together while pressing your back against the inside of the circle you are on.