View Full Version : lace bite

megb
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
i'm having some huge problems with my laces pinching across the tongue of my skates and after about 20 minute its so painful that i have to stop skating... adding something to the inside of my skates seems silly cause after a few pratices they'll change the fit of my skate... does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do to help?

megb

KazeNiesman
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd been experiencing the same problem. I'd bought skates secondhand, then fell in love with skating, but by that point the tongue was mush and I couldn't afford new skates. I talked to the coaches at the rink and one suggested I try something called lace vice (the website's lacevice.com). I've used it a few time now and I'm not getting the red pinched ankles afterwards. Anyway, I hope whatever you try works!

Sorry, I forgot to say that it goes on the outside of the tongue, so it's no inside the boot, and you lace on top of it (it has places for the laces to fit).

Bill_S
03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
About 6 years ago, I had the same problem with a pair of Riedell Gold Stars that I kept beyond their years. The padding on the tongue had broken down, and like you said, it was extremely painful.

I sent them to a shop in Massachusetts to have the toungue relined, and that completely solved the problem. The shop that did the repairs was Cooke's Skate Supplies in Wilmington, MA. Scott Cooke was the contact person. Here's a URL I found...

http://gormanwhs.sports.officelive.com/productsservices.aspx

I've heard that Riedell will also reline skate tongues. At the time, I was concerned about turn-around time, so I elected to use Cooke's.

Isk8NYC
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd start by replacing the laces with a cotton or cotton/poly mix. As laces wear out, they have to be pulled tighter to hold, which in turn causes lace bite.

If they're new boots, it could just be the break in process. Heat molding will help. If you use a bundapad cushion, it won't affect the skate's shape for long - once your foot heals, it only takes one or two skating sessions without the bungapad for the skate to reform to your foot.

If they're old boots, the problem is either the boots are breaking down or the tongue padding is worn out, as Bill_S points out. Get it replaced or start wearing bungapad cushions. In old skates, it doesn't really change the shape, it fills the gap left by the compressed cushioning. Still, getting the tongues relined is a better solution.

KazeNiesman's alternative is intriguing - it goes outside the tongue, under the laces. Hmmm...it would stop the laces from pressing so hard in the sore spot. If the tongue padding is worn though, I don't know if it solves that problem.

It's also possible that the skates are too narrow for you and the tongues aren't covering the whole area that they should. Just a thought.

Query
03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
OMG.

I've claimed for years we should replace lace hooks, and maybe lace holes with jam cleats, so you can adjust where the lace is tight easier, and to make it easier to tie boots tight in general.

That LaceVice looks like it uses a type of jam cleat to do just that.

I bet a lot of people who have coordination or arthritus problems tying their boots would love this. I'll add that link to my site.

Isk8NYC
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
But would the widget solve lace bite? That, I'm not so sure.

If anyone's tried it, please let me know. I know of someone with hand strength issues that this would help tremendously. It's embarrassing for her to ask for help in tying her skates as an adult.

Virtualsk8r
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Get thee to a skate store or order online a pair of gel socks - tubes of surgical quality mineral oil based stretch material that were originally invented for burn patients......one long tube can be cut into two and will last a long time.

I once went to a doctor with another sports injury -- and he took one look at my awful red, calloused, bumpy skin and immediately wanted to do testing, etc for some horrible condition....until I explained it was boot bite!

About three-six months in new gel tubes daily - and lots of loofa'ing - and my ankles looked decent in sandals!!!

My skates are disgusting - one tongue is falling out - the inside lining is rotting --- and the gel socks have given extra support and comfort, so I can still do a mean Yankee Polka! (when my students require it...lol)

I have all my skaters buy a pair of gel socks when they purchase new skates...even the little ones...because it not only reduces boot bite but allows a more comfortable break-in period....plus I find the gel socks help keep the feet warmer for some reason.

saras
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I second this recommendation - there are a few brands out there, some marketed specifically to skaters. Bunga and Silipos come to mind.

Sara

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I vote for new laces as the cheapest option most likely to be successful.

Isk8NYC
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Removed Advertising Posts

doubletoe
03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Three suggestions:

1. Try lacing your skates like this:
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/6246402/sn/1190877479/name/n_a
See how, once the laces get to the hooks, the skater crossed each lace around the other one in the middle of the tongue, then brought it back to the same side it came from? The two different colors will help you see that.

2. Use a lace bite pad. http://www.bungapad.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30136
Once the lace bite clears up, you can switch to a regular gel ankle sleeve. By the way, This bunga pad lace bite pad will NOT change how your skates fit you. Neither will the gel ankle sleeve.

3. Put some sort of hard rubber strip on the front of the tongues of your boots. My boots (SP Teri KT-2) already come with this built-in lacebite stopper. It looks like this: http://www.northerniceanddance.com/store_/images/SPKT2N_m.jpg

Streak
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Has anyone tried wrapping the area with an Ace bandage (keeping it fairly loose, of course)? I seem to remember those being fairly thin and lightweight, and if it covers the affected area, wouldn't that work?

Not that I endorse skimping on something you really need, but if it works, it might cost a good bit less...

miraclegro
03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Bunga gel sleeve solved my problem and i haven't looked back!