View Full Version : Ideas for Off-Ice Training

FSWer
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Say,I do get excerise. But can anyone here offer me any tips for actual Off-Ice Trainning. Because, as a Skater..I want to be able to know that I'm doing everything right. Can any of you skaters help me? Thanks.

Streak
03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Say,I do get excerise. But can anyone here offer me any tips for actual Off-Ice Trainning. Because, as a Skater..I want to be able to know that I'm doing everything right. Can any of you skaters help me? Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but as a beginner learning basic skills, I've noticed that rollerblading on days when I can't get to the rink has really ramped up the speed at which I learn new techniques. I know blading is not exactly the same, but at least at this basic level, there seems to be a lot of overlap in technique.

I can't offer much advice if you're looking for a specific workout routine, but I've been working on one legged squats, and doing planks & side planks for core strength and I think the combination has really helped my balance. But again, I'm a beginner, so that may or may not help you much.

I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say on the subject :)

rsk8d
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi FSWer.

Feel free to check out our programs, as we are endorsed by the PSA. I am located in Connecticut if you ever want to meet up to develop a personalized program.

FSWer
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Is there anything for Off-Ice Trainning I can do here at home? BTW. is anyone able to come watch me skate to see how I'm doing?

rsk8d
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
You can do everything in your own home without the need of an expensive gym.... core, lower body, upper body, and plyometirc exercises. All you need is a few pieces of equipment (phyisoball, 1/2 foam roll or balance disc, resitance band) to do a complete functional training, sport specific routine... designed to improve all aspects of your skating.

Streak
03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi FSWer.

Feel free to check out our programs, as we are endorsed by the PSA. I am located in Connecticut if you ever want to meet up to develop a personalized program.

All my disposable income is going toward a good pair of skates for now, but a couple of your programs are on my wishlist :)

FSWer
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's what I made up this morning for off-ice training. Please tell me what you all think.

I started with laying on my back doing 20 leg-lifts on each leg.
Then laid on my stomach and did 20 MORE on each leg (of course I couldn't tell if my legs were straight).
I also did some sit-ups to try and touch my toes (yes,I think I cheated a bit. As I didn't go up straight. Or keep my legs straight,or END up touching my toes).
I also did 20 Push-ups for my last thing.

Since I have a exercise Bike, I rode for 10min.

What do ya all think? Any more suggestions? I love you all. Thanks a BUNCH!!!

Isk8NYC
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Great job, FSWer!

sarahspins
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Since I have a excerise Bike. Rode for 10min. What do ya all think?

10 minutes on the bike ... cycling is really more of a cardio/aerobic thing than strength.. I ride mostly to gain endurance (and I enjoy it).

One year ago, I could barely manage 15-20 minutes on the bike without feeling like I was going to die, and I wouldn't have thought myself out of shape. Now I routinely go out for 25-30 mile rides (about two hours) and it's no big deal... I can ride longer, but it's hard to find the time for it. A short ride for me is 30 minutes... and I usually don't feel like I've done much of anything afterwards.

This has helped my skating immensely... I no longer tire as quickly, and my leg muscles in particular are conditioned for keeping up with what I want to do. I take only breaks to stay hydrated and stretch periodically, and give my feet a bit of a break from my skates, not because I'm tired.

FSWer
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
So,is that a good thing for Off-Ice-Trainning?

Isk8NYC
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, it is.

FSWer
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Gee...thanks!!! You all are the BEST!!!! You surely DO take GOOD care of me.

phoenix
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
So,is that a good thing for Off-Ice-Trainning?

Yes, it's fantastic!! Great job! As you continue to do it, you'll eventually be able to touch your toes.

You could also try some simple balance exercises--stand on one foot with your arms stretched out the the sides. While you're standing on the one foot try bending your knee down a couple inches, and then straightening it back up again.

FSWer
03-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Yes, it's fantastic!! Great job! As you continue to do it, you'll eventually be able to touch your toes.

You could also try some simple balance exercises--stand on one foot with your arms stretched out the the sides. While you're standing on the one foot try bending your knee down a couple inches, and then straightening it back up again.

GREAT!!!! Any suggestions on how often to do off ice trainning? Gee...I feel soooo good being trained by all of you. I don't feel funny at all. As a matter of fact...you guys trainning me makes me feel like a very strong helthy skater.

rsk8d
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Start with just two days a week and see how your endurance is. If you are able to complete it without soreness or fatigue, add another day. Three days would be plenty to start off with!

FSWer
03-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Start with just two days a week and see how your endurance is. If you are able to complete it without soreness or fatigue, add another day. Three days would be plenty to start off with!

Thanks. What exactly do we mean by fatigue?

phoenix
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Fatigue means being very tired.

FSWer
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks. What exactly do we mean by fatigue?

So basicly,if I can handle just any 2 days. Not nessicerally in a row,and not end up getting tierd from doing my trainning during either of those days...then add another,right?

Clarice
03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
So basicly,if I can handle just any 2 days. Not nessicerally in a row,and not end up getting tierd from doing my trainning during either of those days...then add another,right?

Right. And you don't necessarily want the days to be in a row. It's best to have a rest day in between.

Kat12
03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
In Figure Skating For Dummies, Kristi Yamaguchi says that the exercise bike is great for skaters. I couldn't speak to how true that is, but I added bike into my workouts because of it. :)

FSWer
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Right. And you don't necessarily want the days to be in a row. It's best to have a rest day in between.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I did do 2 days in a row today. I'll remember to seperate it next week. THANKS A BUCH!!!!

FSWer
03-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok....I have all told you what I finally made up for MY off-ice trainning routine. Here's a recap of mine for this thread. 20 Leg-Lifts on each leg while lying on my back. 20 more while lying on my stomage.20 push-ups,20 Sit-ups trying to touch my toes. Or at least just Sit-ups with my hands in a fist. Finally 10min. on my Bike. (would you guys call off-ice-trainning and a Program the same thing btw.?) So what I'd like to know from all of you...my fellow Skaters. Is what YOUR off-ice-trainning is? What it is like.

FSWer
03-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Say,now that I do Off-Ice-Trainning, I thought I would ask my fellow Skaters here how long THEY'VE been doing Off- Ice-Trainning..and how long it took THEM to get used to it. I myself Just started Off-Ice-Trainning about a week ago. So it's new to me. I guess you could say that I still need to figure out how used I'm really used to it. But...HECK!!!! I'd say I'm getting there. LOL. What about all of YOU?

phoenix
03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I started off-ice training last summer by running twice a week, and that took probably 6 weeks to 2 months before I could run a mile (which was my goal) without stopping to rest and without my legs hurting.

Then I started lifting weights in December, and that took a good month (of doing it twice a week) before I didn't get sore anymore.

FSWer
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Ok. Does anyone have any advice on HOW to DO Off-Ice-Trainning? Should I be resting in-between when I do my exerises? I other words....should I be resting in between my 20 Push-ups (after I do 10),then continue? Or would that be cheating in which case I should start with the amount I CAN do...and the increase it? Because I CAN do 20 Leg-lifts,and I CAN do 20 Push ups. But sometimes I do find myself tired after 10 push-ups. But still forch myself to 20 for a work-out. Any advice?

phoenix
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
It's best to push yourself even when you get tired, because that's how you build muscle and strength. There's a limit, of course--you don't want to over do it.

So, if you CAN do 20 pushups, but start getting kind of tired after 10, keep going and do the full 20.

If you CAN do 20 pushups, but feel like you want to die after the first 10, you should probably take a short rest before doing the next 10.

Does that make sense?

FSWer
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
It's best to push yourself even when you get tired, because that's how you build muscle and strength. There's a limit, of course--you don't want to over do it.

So, if you CAN do 20 pushups, but start getting kind of tired after 10, keep going and do the full 20.

If you CAN do 20 pushups, but feel like you want to die after the first 10, you should probably take a short rest before doing the next 10.

Does that make sense?

So basicly I should LET myself get tired after a curtain amount (the limit) and then continue on with another set of what I can do,right? Should I stick with 20 btw.? Or if I feel on some excerises I can do more...do more? Forgive me for asking so many questions...but I'm new to Off-Ice-Trainning,and REALLY want the help.

FSWer
03-18-2010, 12:31 PM
We've been talking a lot about Off-Ice Training.

So I thought I would just ask all our skaters here how they were first introduced to Off-Ice-Training. For me...I chose that I was imspired by all of you on this Board,and that I read about it in a Book. Because I'd surely say that's me and IS true. I DID read about it in Kristi Yamaguchi's Book (Figure Skating for Dummies),and you all surely HAVE imspired me. Actually (along with being imspired by watching skaters on TV.) YOU ALL imspired my Skating...almost ALL the way around!!!! Ok you all..what about...you?!!

icestalker
03-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I do leg lifts also, but I do flexibility and stretching also for all areas of my body. I also jump rope, practice jumps off ice, and for strengthening I do lunges and squats(good for sit spins), crunches, different variations of crunches, and I practice holding a spiral to develop the muscles necessary to hold it higher than my hip. I also bike a few times a week.

FSWer
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Well,I just did more Off-Ice-Trainning this morning, and added Spiral Leg-lifts. I just held onto my bike with 1 hand,and lifted 1 leg at a time up,and leaned forward like I was doing a Spiral. So I now have...20 leg lifts on each leg lying on my back,20 leg lifts on each leg lying on my stomage,20 push-ups (10 each),20 Sit =-ups,20 Spiral leg lifts on each leg,and 10min. on my bike as my Off-Ice-Trainning Program. What do you all think? BTW. should there be a limit to how many exerises I put into my Trainning? Or can I add as many as I want? Also should they be done in any such order? I was also wondering about how to keep track of it. Is it good to write your Trainning down? I must say that I am indeed getting used to it. It even feels good to me. If any of you can gide me through my Trainning. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Query
03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I've recently been trying to use a book

Body Express Makeover, by Michael George

He emphasizes a combined approach - diet, aerobics, strength training, cross training - and combining the aerobics and strength training, and the timing, to make more efficient use of your time and take into account the interaction of exercise and diet related chemistry.

The book is designed for a lay audience, but it is written at an adult reading level. I like it that he provides more or less scientific explanations of what he is doing, and they mostly make sense. Frankly, I've read enough books and watched enough videos with completely contradictory and complicated advice that I just needed something that was easy to use and made sense.

There are lots of aerobics and Pilates exercise DVDs that can shown you how to do basic exercises in a reasonably safe manner.

You can probably find the book in a library, and it is available cheap used through places like Amazon.com.

But if you are happy with your current program, stick with it. For those of us who aren't elite level athletes, maybe it matters more that we do something than that it be perfect.

FSWer
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Say,does anyone know of any Off-Ice-Trainning excerises for your feet. As far as to help keep them helthy for skating? Also have any of you had to deal with callisses (I know that's spelled wrong) at home to help kep your feet helthy as a Skater? Is there any good cream to use on those? BTW. is there a recamended amount of exerises that would be good to make up an Off-Ice-Training Program? Or is it the more and the longger your Program...the better? Thanks.

FSWer
03-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I would just like to Report that I have been doing my Off-Ice-Trainning 2 days a week,and must say that I have been looking forward to it. Although I must admit I don't feel too much of a change in my body. I know it takes time. So I surely hope I'm HELPING myself,and not HURTING myself. But I must say doing Off-Ice-Trainning feels really good. I want to thank you all for what you've done for me. Any more advice here is welcome as well. :)

Sessy
04-02-2010, 04:22 AM
If you're looking for off-ice training tips, there's a book I liked. It's only $12 at amazon and it's called "Conditioning for figure skating: off-ice techniques for on-ice performance". It deals with a lot of things like plyometrics (jumping), balance, stretching, nutrition, schedule making so as not to over-train, stamina, etc. It is kind of really technical and uses a lot of difficult words, and it's really written for the high-grade competitive figure skater, but the principles are obviously very applicable to us normal mortals. :)

londonicechamp
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi

Well, I basically tried to do off ice training, every jump from ISI freestyle level 1 to level 4. I continued to do the off ice training for 30 mins every night, except on my skating days (as I am normally tired after my lesson/practice).

It does make a difference to my on ice progress. It helps me progress to the required elements quicker.

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Say,does anyone know of any Off-Ice-Trainning excerises for your feet. As far as to help keep them helthy for skating? Also have any of you had to deal with callisses (I know that's spelled wrong) at home to help kep your feet helthy as a Skater? Is there any good cream to use on those? BTW. is there a recamended amount of exerises that would be good to make up an Off-Ice-Training Program? Or is it the more and the longger your Program...the better? Thanks.
for your feet you can do the ballet exercise: releve. Here is a website showing how to do one holding on to something so you are also working on balance. You can hold onto a chair or a counter, table or whatever.
http://www.wholeliving.com/article/ballet-body-releves-and-plies-with-balance
Another exercise for your feet would be to scrunch a towel.
http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_pain/foot_strengthening_wash_cloth.php

Both of these are great exercises for ladies that like to wear high heels all day long as well.