View Full Version : Will finding a coach be hard after the olympics?

Sawyer365
02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm sure that after The Olympics a ton of people will be looking for coaches, will this be an even rougher time trying to find one for me or could it possibly even hinder a coach from taking me seriously? Also, I'm going into Ice Dancing so I'm not quite sure if there are specific coaches for that or not. Finally, I've read alot of things about finding a coach but not where to get one, do I just ask the rink for a coach directory? Haha! :D

Isk8NYC
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
You haven't started skating yet? Are you the person who's moving? If not, you better get to the rink sooner, rather than later.

Get thee to the rink and check out the coaches who are teaching ice dance classes. Bigger rinks have separate Ice Dance and Freestyle sessions, so ask in the office for a copy of the schedule. That'll get you started on watching lessons and choosing a coach.

Ask the skating director to tell you which coaches are accepting new students.

If you have to wait to get the coach you want, do it. Sometimes, the busier coaches are better.
Around May, the rinks get more quiet and you might be able to find the best coach for you.

Sawyer365
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes, I am moving and I can get to the rink in 1 week :D
Thank you very, very muchh that was perfect and exactly what I just couldn't seem to find. :D

Skittl1321
02-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I would think most low/mid-level ice dancing coaches are HOPING for a serge in popularity after the Olympics.

Start looking now and beat the herd.

Sawyer365
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I would think most low/mid-level ice dancing coaches are HOPING for a serge in popularity after the Olympics.

That's a relief! I'm glad they'll be looking forward to new students. I'm so nervous about how to act, I always make the worst first impressions, it's a curse! :lol:

RachelSk8er
02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
You're a guy, right? You'll probably want to find a female dance coach who can partner you through tests, or if the coach doesn't partner their own students through tests, they work closely with someone who does. You should also do moves in the field, most (but not all) dance coaches will coach moves also. If you want to do freestyle as well and you're really lucky, you might be able to find a coach who can work with you on everything. Some people like working with multiple coaches for different disciplines, others prefer to stick with the same coach.

The best thing to do is ask around at your rink. If you can take some group lessons for a few months first, I'd start there before going to privates. It will help you get the basics down, let you save some money, and let you get to know the different coaches at your rink that way. Then talk to skaters or group lesson instructors and get some referrals (not all group lesson instructors do private lessons--some just teach a few hours of group lessons a week and have other full-time jobs, but will be happy to refer you to coaches who do take private lessons). Contact coaches you are interested in, let them know what you are looking for and what your goals (short and long term) are, and set up a few 15-minute lessons with a few different coaches to see whose teaching style and personality works best with you before you make a decision.

Layne
02-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm just a beginner too, so take anything I say for what it's worth. I'd guess you'll spend the better part of a year doing general skating lessons before you'll have any need for a dance specific coach. And that's assuming you are pretty serious about it, which you definitely seem to be. I'm not totally sure if the USFS program requires you to finish basic 4 before enrolling in dance classes, but that would be the obvious progression whether required or not. I agree with starting in group lessons. My rink will even let you take a second weekly lesson for half price if you want to and have the time to move faster. But if you still prefer private lessons, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Isk8NYC
02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
You're a guy, right? You'll probably want to find a female dance coach who can partner you through tests, or if the coach doesn't partner their own students through tests, they work closely with someone who does.Great suggestion.

Audryb
02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm going to chime in with everyone else who's suggesting you start with group lessons. In addition to saving you money, group lessons can be a great way to sample different coaches' teaching styles. I took group lessons for over a year at two different rinks, and during that time I got to work with at least 10 different coaches. This was a huge help in figuring out what style of coaching worked for me, and which coaches I clicked with personality-wise. In fact, the coach I ended up choosing for private lessons is one who I'd initially ruled out just based on watching early on... she seemed young, and seemed to have mostly young students.

When I had her for a couple different group classes, the way she taught ended up being really beneficial to me, and I was also pleasantly surprised at her attitude- for one example, up until that point, 4 or 5 different coaches had told me that my loop jump was good. She took one look at it (during a group class) and said something along the lines of "yeah, it's a nice big single, but you're never going to do a double unless we fix this this and this" then proceeded to help me fix the problems with it. I just turned 31 and started skating at 29... there's a good possibility that I will never do a double loop. But I like that she's focused on always doing better and not limiting my goals.

Long story short, if not for having her in a group setting I would never have considered a coach who turned out to be the perfect match for me.

Not all coaches teach group lessons, and you certainly don't need to stick with the groups for as long as I did, nor is having 10 different people tell you how to do something necessarily the best way to learn. But you're really not going to progress through learning crossovers, 3-turns, mohawks, etc. any faster with an olympic coach than with someone who only teaches basic skills. And starting with group classes could not only give you some time to get a much better feel for which coach will be the best fit for you, but also let you put off the decision until you have a little better idea what you need to look for.

Virtualsk8r
02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
:frus: There is always an increased interest in becoming the next Olympic star following a winter games........So if you want any coach to take you seriously, then I would recommend you research the clubs or rinks in your new area and read any information on their website with regards to the qualifications of the coaches. Then take thee to the rinks and observe coaches teaching both group and private lessons. When you see a few that may work well with you, approach them for a trial lesson and explain that you are serious about skating and are ready to commit to training and regular lessons. It might seem like a waste of money at first, but many times the most or least qualified coach is not always the right fit. Same holds true for the passing record or competition record of the skaters a coach works with. Lots of coaches hold back skaters, while others push them through.

I've already had emails from parents whose children want to become skaters after watching the events on TV....but when informed of the level of commitment and costs involved.....few seem to follow through. Even in my group lessons this winter, parents and skaters are expecting to be doing quads after a few lessons --- and want to know why they have to practice stopping and skating one one foot......let's not even talk about those 3 turns and crosscuts!!

Good luck. A good coach/skater relationship is important and more so if you are an adult skater. You need someone flexible in their approach to teaching and understands that the mind may be willing but the body has its own drummer.

Sawyer365
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Thank you all so much, I may try group lessons but I think that, for me, private lessons will help me learn better. I'm completely open to taking 3 or 4 Group Lessons but after that I hope to have a coach. Yeah, that's the problem, after The Olympics so many people want to do intense moves and I hope that my coach realizes that I know it takes alot of time and if all I do for 30 lessons is skate in a circle I'm happy because I know I'm building a strong foundation. :D

Virtualsk8r
02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Thank you all so much, I may try group lessons but I think that, for me, private lessons will help me learn better. I'm completely open to taking 3 or 4 Group Lessons but after that I hope to have a coach. Yeah, that's the problem, after The Olympics so many people want to do intense moves and I hope that my coach realizes that I know it takes alot of time and if all I do for 30 lessons is skate in a circle I'm happy because I know I'm building a strong foundation. :D

Good for you, Sawyer365! That's the right attitude.........just remember to push your limits a bit after thse 30 lessons :lol: Long ago I had two adult skaters - one who had skated as a child and the other could barely stroke. The first skater had flow, and balance and looked great on the ice. She loved to work on stroking exercises and technique. The second skater was hopeless - but had the spirit. Kept at it even though she couldn't hold (or find) an edge...forget about spinning on a center or rotating a 3 turn. Fast forward about 5-6 years......the first skater is still back practicing her technique in her comfort zone, while the second skater has (with lots of patient and persistant coaching) pushed herself to a much higher freeskate test and competitive level and achieved her Gold in one discipline! She's still not the better skater of the two - but certainly has accomplished much more than her talent would allow through true grit and determination.

phoenix
02-24-2010, 08:32 AM
If I recall you're moving to Sun Valley? There are a LOT of high level coaches there, and a lot of skating in general. You're moving to skating paradise!

You should be aware that not all coaches are willing to take on a student who has never skated before & doesn't even know the basics. As a whole (and speaking as a coach myself), our time is better spent once a student can actually skate & has a few of the basics under their belt. Although it also depends on the student--some will progress fast, and then it's fine. However, I doubt a coach is going to want to hold your hand in a private lesson if it takes you 8 weeks to pick up a foot into a one foot glide. After you've taken a class or two, you'll have a much better feel for how quickly you learn things.

It would definitely serve you better if you take at least one session of group classes, for all the many reasons that have been mentioned in this thread. I didn't last long in groups myself--but it did a world of good giving me a great start, and it was also where I found my first coach. Eventually you will learn better in private lessons, we all do.

Query
02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
You can always find a coach.

But the best coaches more or less fill their schedules regardless.

Coaches are not interchangeable: http://mgrunes.com/falling.html#coach

RachelSk8er
02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Given that you are a beginner, you also do not need to go and seek out the most high level, sought-after, expensive coach in your rink. That would be a big waste of money. You can go with a coach who is less experienced, doesn't have high PSA ratings, and that sort of thing (but is still a good coach and well qualified) to learn the basics, and if you reach the point down the road in your skating where you "outgrow" that coach, you could move on. Make sure the coach still has good qualifications so you aren't learning things wrong, though.

For example, Carol Heiss Jenkins coaches in my area. She charges in the $100-120/hr range. A beginner taking from her would be absurd (she probably would point a beginner to someone else), and there are plenty of coaches at the same rink who charge in the $50-60/hr range that you are better off starting with to learn the basics.

A lot of the really high level coaches do have "lower" or younger coaches who they trust and may point skaters students to (many times a former student of theirs who is now coaching).

doubletoe
02-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Find some adult skaters at your new rink and ask each of them about their coach. Don't just ask whether they like that coach, but ask about that coach's teaching style, specialty, cost, etc.

Sawyer365
02-26-2010, 02:11 AM
I won't have to worry about getting a partner for quite a while, correct? :)

Clarice
02-26-2010, 07:03 AM
I won't have to worry about getting a partner for quite a while, correct? :)

That's right. :) In order to be able to do the first level of compulsory dances, you have to be able to stroke properly (not just march), do swing rolls (which involves being able to hold 1-foot edges around a circle), and progressives (which are an advanced form of crossovers). All forward skating for the first three, but you'll need backward skating by the second set of three dances, as well as mohawk turns. Three turns come in the next set, but these have to be controlled three turns in time to the music. You really need to get your Basic Skills under your belt before you can even begin ice dance. Once you're actually learning dances, I'll bet girls will be asking you to partner them! Good luck and have fun!

Isk8NYC
02-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Are we going to have a countdown for your first time on the ice?

I hope it's a positive experience!

kayskate
02-26-2010, 09:00 AM
I sure hope there is a surge in enrollment for lessons after these games. My whole rink hopes so. It has been slow.

Kay

rlichtefeld
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm guessing that getting a lesson right now with Frank Carroll will be a bit difficult!

Coaching an Olympic Champion (Lysacek) and a lady that came in 4th (Nagasu) will do that for you.

Rob

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2010, 11:51 AM
One of the very good reasons for doing group lessons is that they expose you to a wide range of coaches, so you begin to learn whose teaching style matches your learning style, and who you would really prefer not to work with! Also, you really don't need a private teacher for the first couple of levels - once you start to work on turns is probably time enough for that. And you get to know people at the rink and the other folk in your class, so there are plenty of very good reasons for taking group lessons to start with!

Morgail
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Once you're actually learning dances, I'll bet girls will be asking you to partner them!

So true! Male dance partners are hard to find. You'll probably have your pick of partners. :)

Kristin
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
One of the very good reasons for doing group lessons is that they expose you to a wide range of coaches, so you begin to learn whose teaching style matches your learning style, and who you would really prefer not to work with! Also, you really don't need a private teacher for the first couple of levels - once you start to work on turns is probably time enough for that. And you get to know people at the rink and the other folk in your class, so there are plenty of very good reasons for taking group lessons to start with!

This is great advice. :)

Sawyer365
02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I think I'll do group lessons since it seems like everyone agrees that's the best thing to do and you guys know your stuff! :D
Just wondering, how long should I wait before getting a private coach? I've heard the terms Basic 1 and Basic 5 but how long does it take to pass a "Basic"? haha! Or is it one of those things that just depend on the individual skater? :)
Once again, thank you all so much.

phoenix
02-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I think I'll do group lessons since it seems like everyone agrees that's the best thing to do and you guys know your stuff! :D
Just wondering, how long should I wait before getting a private coach? I've heard the terms Basic 1 and Basic 5 but how long does it take to pass a "Basic"? haha! Or is it one of those things that just depend on the individual skater? :)
Once again, thank you all so much.

It definitely depends on the individual. You'll know when it's time for a private coach--either you'll feel like the group is boring because the pace is too slow for you, or you'll feel like you're not getting things because you can't get enough individual attention from the teacher. Don't shirk practicing the very basic stuff over & over again though--ALL of skating is built off the basics!