View Full Version : How often do you go to a Public Skate?

FSWer
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Say,how often does everyone here who does, go to a Public Skate?

Mrs Redboots
02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
You forgot the option "Never - I only skate on teaching ice!"

Layne
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid most of the forum users have graduated beyond public ice. But it's still the only option I have, so I go 2-3 times a week. It would be 4-5 if they were open more hours that I could get to.

Isk8NYC
02-23-2010, 02:23 PM
At this time of the year, I don't even like teaching on public sessions.

If I skate for myself, it's on a freestyle or at the Coffee Club session.

caffn8me
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
It depends on what I'm working on among other things. If I start skating on a morning patch session I'll usually stay on for the public session immediately following. One of my weekly lessons is on a public session as well.

Typically it's 2-3 times a week but on a busy week it might be five or six times.

Sarah

aussieskater
02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
During school and uni terms, DH and I do lunchtime publics a few days a week as the sessions are often pretty quiet and we're allowed to practise dance and free on a public as long as we're careful. In fact, our (one and only) Olympic figure skating rep was skating the lunchtime public (and doing the triple jumps and flying camels etc) just before she left for Vancouver.

Coaches are allowed to teach on publics, and we usually have our lessons on the lunchtime sessions.

Most of the skaters are adults and we all look out for each other - except during school/uni holidays when we all stay well clear and migrate to the busier "private" (aka freestyle) sessions.

FSWer
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
During school and uni terms, DH and I do lunchtime publics a few days a week as the sessions are often pretty quiet and we're allowed to practise dance and free on a public as long as we're careful. In fact, our (one and only) Olympic figure skating rep was skating the lunchtime public (and doing the triple jumps and flying camels etc) just before she left for Vancouver.

Coaches are allowed to teach on publics, and we usually have our lessons on the lunchtime sessions.

Most of the skaters are adults and we all look out for each other - except during school/uni holidays when we all stay well clear and migrate to the busier "private" (aka freestyle) sessions.

How long is Lunch that you can do that?

caffn8me
02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Morning public sessions at my rink are usually quieter than practice/patch ice during school terms. Sometimes I've been the only one on the rink on a public session.

Sarah

Kat12
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I TRY to go once a week. Whether I actually get there or not (been out of town a lot lately) is another thing altogether.

Mrs Redboots
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Morning public sessions at my rink are usually quieter than practice/patch ice during school terms. Sometimes I've been the only one on the rink on a public session.

Sarah

Except when a school comes in! Morning patch is okay after the "8 o'clock clear-out" when everybody leaves to go to school or work - there was hardly anybody around this morning, and it was only just beginning to get busy again when I left around 9:00.

ellrigg
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I am a competitive Bronze skater who usually practices on Public Ice. I have a flexible job(s) that changes from day to day, but I am usually free at least one day for the 11-1 session. Our rink offers a frequent skater card, so I save at least $1.50 from freestyles. Most of the skaters at that time are adults. If there is a school holiday, I try to make a freestyle instead, and of course summers are different, too.

aussieskater
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
How long is Lunch that you can do that?

The session is 90 min, but we often do just the hour.