View Full Version : New Skater Foot Problem

Jibblin
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey all! I'm a new Ice Skater and I'm deciding whether I want to devote my time to learning to ice skate or not, but I went skating for the first time in a couple years and I notice that I have a problem with my right foot when I'm skating.

For some reason, my right foot is pointed to the right somewhat and both of my feet are inclined towards the inside. Kind of like my blades are pointing to the right a little bit. My main problem though is my right foot seeming to point to the right. It's as if I'm pushing off of my right foot constantly. Is this just something that will work itself out as I skate more, or are my feet just not designed to ice skate? Here are a couple of pictures of what my feet look like...

Kind of like the guys feet in this picture...

http://la.scottiedogjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ice-skating-date-thumb.jpg

Or like the guys right foot in this picture!

http://gobostoncard.com/blog/files/2008/03/boston-ice-skating.jpg

Please give me some motivation to keep going with my ice skating! Thanks!

Isk8NYC
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
If they're your own skates, take them to the pro shop to see if the alignment needs adjustment.

Layne
02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Both of my feet naturally point outwards (sort of like a duck :lol: ). It makes some things harder and some easier, but overall it's not that big of deal. If yours are unequal though it might be a little harder to deal with, but really shouldn't stop you from skating.

The tilting in is probably just you not balancing properly over the blades. But it could also be the skates are worn out, too big, or not tied tight enough.

Query
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree - blade alignment explains pointing.

It's pretty common for beginners to lean towards the inside, because they are afraid to lean out over the middle or outside. That might explain the lean altogether - it's hard for a beginner to tell.

Especially if your boots are too big, or aren't laced super-tight, like they should be.

If the problem isn't all psychological, and making the blades stand upright takes extra muscle on the outside of the leg more than the inside, then your boots don't fit your feet. Specifically, the top surface of the insoles is not pressing on the bottom surface of your feet on the inside sides as much as the outside sides, because it is not high enough. A little tape under the insoles, on the inside sides, can fix that problem completely. Some boot fitters realize they can do that, some don't. Some try to charge you a lot of money for new custom boots instead of spending 5 minutes playing with tape.

If it isn't too severe, it could also be fixed by "offsetting" the blades to one side, which any good boot fitter knows how to do. But not to the extant it makes your feet sore.

Most boot fitters are willing to do these things on new boots bought from them for free. You may also ask the better skaters who a better boot fitter is - yours should have noticed the problem when he sold you the boots.

To do it yourself (not hard), see my page on changing skate boot fit.

Jibblin
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
So I'm beginning to think it's the boots.

I actually have not purchased my own pair of boots yet -- I've only rented them from the skating rink when I get there. I bet that is a problem. They are hockey skates, and from what I've read, hockey skates aren't the best for beginners.

I'm about to start skating lessons, so I will get with my local ice skate shop and see what I can do as far as purchasing my own boots goes.

Query
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Or rent a different pair. It may be mounted and balanced differently.

If all the rentals misfit your feet, bring your own insole, that you adjust to fit.

If you want to rent figure skates, and the rink doesn't rent them, another rink might.

Good skates cost money. Maybe you will decide you prefer hockey. It's easier to understand the rules. I can't imagine buying good expensive skates before deciding if I liked skating, and in what style. If you get serious, you will take lessons from a coach, who can help.