View Full Version : RBK 5K - think they are too big, please help :(

jim123
02-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner skater that has been skating on rentals for a few months and I've decided to get some of my own skates.

I went into a shop and they sold me the RBK 5K skates size 8 (I wanted the 3K but they were not in stock). I was pretty much at the mercy of the shop without much prior experience except with rental skates.

Trusting the shop's recommendation, I went out skating with the new skates and picked up a small mark on the front so I doubt I could return them if I wanted.

But after reading more and asking around I'm not quite sure if I have the right size, any input from you guys will be appreciated (my shoe size is 8 UK and the skate says 8.5 UK inside).

Taking out the insert and placing my foot on it looks like this: http://00ao.com/IMG_0004.jpg

While I don't feel my feet move when I skate and I find them comfortable, I do not feel the front of the skate with my toes when I skate and I was told I should - when I remove the laces and push my foot forward, there is about half an inch movement between when my toes touch the front of the skate from where my heal is right at the back.

What should I do?

Should I argue with the shop for suggesting the wrong size and see if they will take the skates with the mark on the front?

Anything I can do like maybe change the inserts or bake the skates to get a better fit?

Do any of you have Reebok skates and can comment if you can touch the front of the skate with your toes? (my friend has the RBK1 and he cannot touch the front with his toes either).

Thank you in advance,

Jim

mr.small
02-21-2010, 10:05 AM
If it feels comfortable and your foot doesn't move when you skate, it should be pretty good. The thing is that your foot should elongate a little bit when you flex your ankle and thus the right size is when you fully flex and you just touch the end of the skate (but you don't always, cause you don't always fully flex your ankle) :)

If it feels too loose, I believe you can make the inside smaller by simply adding a second insole over the first, but by the sounds of things, I would think the shop got it pretty good. My (old) hockey skates used to fit like that (because I could never get the full ankle flexion in them since I never used the flex notch.... because I did jumps in them... anyway...)

caffn8me
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree with mr.small on this. If they are comfortable, your feet aren't moving around and you can skate in them without any problems then it's all good.

Enjoy your escape from death wellies :)

Sarah