View Full Version : I want to become a USFS member but I am moving soon... Can I become a member of both

spiralina15
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I am an ISI figure skater and I would like to start USFS testing and competing. I am moving in a few months but I need to start testing next month to be at the correct skill level in time for Regionals. My new rink will be the location of Regionals and I want to compete in that Region. My current rink is not in the same Region. If I become a member of my current club can I switch to the other club when I move? Also, is it possible to get a membership that allows testing without representing a specific club?

phoenix
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
As far as I know, these are your options:

1. You can be an independent USFS member.

2. You can join the club now that is the one in the region where you'll be moving to.

3. You can join the club where you live now, and you'd then have to compete in that region for qualifying competition.

phoenix
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, wait, just remembered that we renew memberships in July. So join whatever you want for now--the one you renew in July will be the one that determines which regionals you'll compete in.

twokidsskatemom
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Juvenile and Intermediate Singles Competitors ONLY (NEW):
During the online registration process, you will be given the option to input your principle
training center if you wish to compete out of the region you train rather than the region in
which your primary residence is listed. The following guidelines must be followed:
• You must train at your principle training center at least six (6) months and one (1)
day during the calendar year to be eligible
• The region you select is binding (whether it is based on primary residence or
principle training center)
Age requirements must be met by September 1

This is to try to reduce region hopping.
Yes, you can be independent member and test anywhere.I would join where you will be living after June 30.

spiralina15
02-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Oh, wait, just remembered that we renew memberships in July. So join whatever you want for now--the one you renew in July will be the one that determines which regionals you'll compete in.

Thanks, Phoenix! You really helped me a lot.

Clarice
02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
You can also join the club near you now and change club affiliation after you move. All it requires is some paperwork. The old club signs a form that says you were a member in good standing (usually means that you don't owe any money), and then the new club files paperwork with headquarters. It's pretty easy.

coskater64
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
You can also join as an individual member of US figure skating and not join a club, then you don't have to worry about moving. It is only slightly more for an individual membership and you have all the same membership rights as a membership in a club.

:halo::twisted:

rlichtefeld
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Some clubs charge more for non-members to take tests than members. My club charges the same for members of our inter-club council, but do charge more for Individual Members.

Check with your coach. He/she will probably know the particulars at the current rink. And/or talk to the club's membership chair.

For Regionals, you would join/re-join the new club in July.

Rob