View Full Version : How do you prepare yourself to be lifted or thrown as a Pairs Skater when you skate?

FSWer
02-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Ok...since we are talking about the Pairs in the Olympics. This question came to me today to ask all you Pairs Skaters here on this Board. What I want to know from you today is..."How do you as a Pairs Skater prepare yourself to (or for) being lifted or thrown when you get ready to skate for the day?

sk8ryellow
02-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I tryed pairs just for fun with one of the pairs skaters at the rink and it was really fun, we did throw axel and double salchow and it was a blast!!! Death Spirals are also fun!

FSWer
02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
You mean you tried a throw...untrained? What was that like before we go on?

Layne
02-14-2010, 10:29 PM
You mean you tried a throw...untrained?

If she knows how to do an axle, and he was a trained pairs skater, I can't imagine it was that dangerous. Death spirals do look like a blast. I asked my skating buddy today if she'd let me throw her in the air, and she just said I couldn't if I tried. (she's 6 feet tall 8O )

sk8joyful
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
How do you as a Pairs Skater prepare yourself to (or for) being lifted or thrown, when you get ready to skate for the day?

Not that I have ever tried anything like that :bow:, but
first you learn your jumps really well as a Single ;) skater.
Next, you practice those advanced difficulties OFF the ice, like in the gym, & other surfaces.
Then, when both of you are secure in your timings, etc. - Only when coach says you're ready, can you practice these maneuvers on the ice. - I would think. Right? :)

flo
02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi,
First, as said, you do need to be comfortable with your own jumps and also be willing to push them a little further. As the throw is an assisted jump, the pair throw goes on the ladies timing of the jump. I've seen some throws where the male partner picks up the female and just deposits her on the other side - not a throw. It almost feels like it does when you are in the harness, just having that extra second at the top of the jump to get higher. You start small and work up with speed and ht. It's really quite fun.
For lifts, we start on the ground and only when its solid, do we put it on the ice. Unfortunately there are pairs out there who try lifts beyond their skills, and it hurts us all. Safety first, then it will be fun.

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2010, 07:19 AM
I can do a thrown 3-jump (waltz jump) with my husband - we've tried a thrown salchow, but not successfully as yet. It's actually quite fun - you get into a waltz hold, and then you step to forwards still holding on, deeply bent knee and push on to an LFO edge, then you go for the jump and he sort of lifts you and you push against him, and off you go! It's all in the timing and can be pretty terrifying if you get it just wrong.

Clarice
02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
My daughter once did a "throw axel" in a duet program with her boyfriend, who is a hockey player. She just jumped her axel, while he went through the motions of throwing her but without any actual effort behind it at all. It wasn't really a throw, but it looked like one!

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Hi

I was watching the Vancouver Olympics today, and saw the pairs short program. How easy the pair(s) make the throw look. :P

My hubby did say to me once that if he goes to learn pairs, he might be as good as one in the Olympics. I very much doubt it. 8O

londonicechamp

sk8ryellow
02-15-2010, 07:16 PM
You mean you tried a throw...untrained? What was that like before we go on?

Ya, we were doing just for fun, when we did it I had my axel for about a year up until that point, I dont think it was that dangerous cause he knew what he was doing and my coach was on the ice at the time. LOL! Dont worry it wasnt like we were trying something hard like throw triple salchow or double axel or anything like that haha.

FSWer
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Ok,good. I'm even surprised the coach would ALLOW that!!!

sk8ryellow
02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
haha lol she thought it was fine, she talked to me about proper technique and stuff before we did it

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2010, 05:07 AM
I wish we hadn't started this thread - ended up doing a thrown 3-jump this morning, wondering whether to put it in our free dance or not (as a 3-jump lift, rather than a throw). It's really not difficult if you commit to it, but I tend to bottle.....

sk8rdad59
02-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Not that I have ever tried anything like that :bow:, but
first you learn your jumps really well as a Single ;) skater.
Next, you practice those advanced difficulties OFF the ice, like in the gym, & other surfaces.
Then, when both of you are secure in your timings, etc. - Only when coach says you're ready, can you practice these maneuvers on the ice. - I would think. Right? :)

Pairs skaters practice lifts and twists off ice before trying them on ice and the male will typically practice turns without a partner to get comfortable with the movement on ice. Throw jumps are typically practiced on ice right away and are generally increased in difficulty as the couple gets used to the timing. Usually starting with a throw waltz which involves very little in the way of throwing, then singles which have a bit of assist and once the singles are comfortable throw doubles are started.

FSWer
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Pairs skaters practice lifts and twists off ice before trying them on ice and the male will typically practice turns without a partner to get comfortable with the movement on ice. Throw jumps are typically practiced on ice right away and are generally increased in difficulty as the couple gets used to the timing. Usually starting with a throw waltz which involves very little in the way of throwing, then singles which have a bit of assist and once the singles are comfortable throw doubles are started.

What about waking up knowing in your mind your going to be lifted?

flo
02-16-2010, 10:43 PM
"My daughter once did a "throw axel" in a duet program with her boyfriend, who is a hockey player. She just jumped her axel, while he went through the motions of throwing her but without any actual effort behind it at all. It wasn't really a throw, but it looked like one!"

It's also a good way to start. A throw is really an assisted jump. Often to start with new pairs, the male will first just skate right next to the female while she jumps so he can get use to her timing, then get the hand holds and move on up. I've been thrown by another woman in a program, and it was fine.

For lifts, you build up confidence in each other while you learn and practice off ice. The female has to also maintain strong body positions in the lift. When it's done well, you can barely feel the male's edges underneath you, it just floats!

FSWer
02-16-2010, 11:17 PM
"My daughter once did a "throw axel" in a duet program with her boyfriend, who is a hockey player. She just jumped her axel, while he went through the motions of throwing her but without any actual effort behind it at all. It wasn't really a throw, but it looked like one!"

It's also a good way to start. A throw is really an assisted jump. Often to start with new pairs, the male will first just skate right next to the female while she jumps so he can get use to her timing, then get the hand holds and move on up. I've been thrown by another woman in a program, and it was fine.

For lifts, you build up confidence in each other while you learn and practice off ice. The female has to also maintain strong body positions in the lift. When it's done well, you can barely feel the male's edges underneath you, it just floats!

Say,btw. how do you land back on and find your natual balance back from a Throw when landing on ice?

Clarice
02-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Say,btw. how do you land back on and find your natual balance back from a Throw when landing on ice?

It's the same as landing a jump. There's just extra force behind it because of the throw, which is what makes it more difficult.

sk8rdad59
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
What about waking up knowing in your mind your going to be lifted?

With the lifts it is all about developing confidence and trust. When lifts are started off ice there is typically someone spotting the lift also the skaters will do partial lifts (ie press only to the shoulder) to develop the timing. If you aren't confident in going up to full lift position or trust your partner to hold the lift you shouldn't be doing it yet.

FSWer
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
It's the same as landing a jump. There's just extra force behind it because of the throw, which is what makes it more difficult.

How is it done though? If I was to be jumping or coming down from a throw I'd slip right of my blades. As my feet would slide. How would I be steadying my feet and balance back on my blades?

Skittl1321
02-17-2010, 10:23 AM
How is it done though? If I was to be jumping or coming down from a throw I'd slip right of my blades. As my feet would slide. How would I be steadying my feet and balance back on my blades?

Before you ever do a jump you learn to have good edges. So you are already used to holding a strong back outside edge. Then, when you land from your jump (and after you master the jump, the throw)- you don't need to worry about being steady and balanced on the back outside edge, because you've already become very accustomed to holding that edge.

Skaters fall all the time when they are learning, because everything isn't right. It's just a matter of practicing to get it right.

FSWer
02-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Before you ever do a jump you learn to have good edges. So you are already used to holding a strong back outside edge. Then, when you land from your jump (and after you master the jump, the throw)- you don't need to worry about being steady and balanced on the back outside edge, because you've already become very accustomed to holding that edge.

Skaters fall all the time when they are learning, because everything isn't right. It's just a matter of practicing to get it right.

Ok. What do we mean by having good Edges? Also Rachael Flatt showed on TV. how you get the hieght and power to jump. But I didn't understand it. Do they mean it's all in speed?

Skittl1321
02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok. What do we mean by having good Edges? Also Rachael Flatt showed on TV. how you get the hieght and power to jump. But I didn't understand it. Do they mean it's all in speed?

Good edges means that if you skate on a curve (leaning to either the inside or outside on one foot) you don't wobble at all, you are strong and steady. It's just a matter of practice and balance. First practice one foot on a "flat"- going straight. Once you can do that, then you practice leaning onto the edge- going in a curve.

I can't say much about getting height on jumps- mine barely leave the ice, but yes- you do need to be going fast into it, and not hesitate.

Isk8NYC
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Jump height comes most from springing up off bent knees and using the blades correctly. Think of a basketball jump shot - the player bends knees deeply, then springs up to make the shot from the air.

Speed affects height somewhat, but it really impacts the distance of the jump - the amount of ice it covers. NBC Olympics had a video analysis of Yu-Na Kim. One of her jumps in the video covers a distance of 25 yards because of the speed she has going into the entry.

rlichtefeld
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Jump height comes most from springing up off bent knees and using the blades correctly. Think of a basketball jump shot - the player bends knees deeply, then springs up to make the shot from the air.

Speed affects height somewhat, but it really impacts the distance of the jump - the amount of ice it covers. NBC Olympics had a video analysis of Yu-Na Kim. One of her jumps in the video covers a distance of 25 yards because of the speed she has going into the entry.

My coach always tells me that in ice skating, it's: "What goes down, must come up!"

The deeper your knee bends in preparation for a jump, the higher the jump. Speed does help, if you can channel it into upward motion, but the jump is from the knee and ankle.

And, according to my pairs partner, you can never prepare for a throw landing ;)

Rob

FSWer
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Good edges means that if you skate on a curve (leaning to either the inside or outside on one foot) you don't wobble at all, you are strong and steady. It's just a matter of practice and balance. First practice one foot on a "flat"- going straight. Once you can do that, then you practice leaning onto the edge- going in a curve.

I can't say much about getting height on jumps- mine barely leave the ice, but yes- you do need to be going fast into it, and not hesitate.

Ok,I always get a delay in between the time I skate my marching steps up t speed and the time I actually want to go into jump. How do I keep myself gliding and even fast enough to go into a jump without a stop?

Clarice
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
FSWer, I've never seen you skate, but from what you describe I don't think you're ready to be trying jumps yet. You are working on the Adult 1 skills, right? You have a lot of other things to learn yet before you get to jumping. Will you ever be able to take any more lessons?