View Full Version : Interested in the Adult Competition in Oberstdorf

sexyskates
02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
My aunt in Germany is seriously ill, and I would like to visit her soon. So, I am thinking of attending the competition in Oberstdorf, and then taking the train to Frankfurt to see my aunt. Does anyone have any experience to share as to accommodations and travel? Also, what kind of Interp programs do the the international judges like? I noticed that the announcement says no props and to keep the costumes simple. I would not have time to learn a 4th program, so I want to use one of my Interps for AN2010. I could lose the prop for my LE/C, but it's more of a character story than an artistic.

eliza1
02-13-2010, 04:05 AM
You will love Oberstdorf!!! You can always go online and look at DeutchBahn -- that is the German rail website and you can book your tickets on there! If you just put in accommodation in a search engine it will pull up most of the guest houses/hotels in Ober, or email me and I can give you more details. The Artistic category in Ober is a program interpreting the music -- there is a requirement for one jump and 2 spins (I think, look at the criteria on the ISU site). Skaters are meant to wear tasteful dresses/outfits which reflect the mood of the music.

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2010, 05:31 AM
You will love Oberstdorf - and if you can spare the holiday time, go and see your aunt first, and then come on to the Mountain Cup afterwards!

I can't speak to the accommodation in the village itself, as we always stay outside the village (we have a car); I'm sure other people will tell you where the good places are. It's certainly a lovely competition - I just wish I were a good enough skater to skate there, but even my husband won't, now. He did, the first year, with a friend as a partner, but he refuses even to do his freeskate programme there, even though he'd actually be well competitive!

pedonskates
02-13-2010, 09:10 AM
There are plenty of cute places to stay in that village, and it's small enough to walk everywhere.
I took the train FROM Frankfurt twice. Don't speak German, but the German people are super nice. The first year I accidentally got on the wrong train and then left my bag with my skates on it when I got off. I ended up hopping on again and riding an hour the wrong way. But I had my skates....
The other year we got on the wrong half of a train that split before Oberstdorf. We made a mad transfer of tons of stuff at one station. Funny later. Not at the time.....

sexyskates
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking of flying round trip to Frankfurt. I speak German once I get it warmed up (I have German lesson CD's from the library that I am now playing in the car). I also did a 2 month Eurail Pass trip throughout Europe when I was in college, and I loved the trains. At that time I also boarded some wrong trains, but since I had no itinerary, it didn't matter. That was a long time ago, so it will be an adventure to go to Germany now.

flo
02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Hopefully we will see you there! If you can also do the Mountain Cup - you'll enjoy it. It was wonderful. Interp there was pretty much as it is here.

sexyskates
02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi Flo!
Yes, I'm quite certain I'm going now. Where do you stay? Do you think it will be OK to for me to do my LE/C which is more of a character story thing? I don't have time to learn a 4th program!

flo
02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi, It would be fine in France. I've not been to Germany yet. Rob L. has been several times - he's be a good resource.
I did my loon program in France and it came off well. I'd like to do one in Germany, but don't know which one yet.

coskater64
02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I have heard that Sasha K hotel is good it is towards the center of town and is a 3 star hotel. I stay at the Exquisit which is about a 10 minute walk from the rink. Read the interp rules carefully-- No combo jumps but you MUST have 1 jump or else it is a deduction, you need to skate to your music if you want to do well, no props also a deduction and make sure you don't skate over. My group had 6 of us all within 1 pt of each other any little mistake can cost you, I would go with a dramatic program and not use a prop if I were you.

That said, its a great event, worth the travel especially if you have family or friends nearby. I fly into Munich but the train system is easy and the web site is in English! What more could you ask?8O

RachelSk8er
02-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I want to go to this so bad but it probably has to wait until 2013 :( I graduate from law school in 2012 and I wanted to go as a graduation present to myself (and can probably get family members to give me $$ toward it as a graduation gift), but I'll be studying for the bar in July of that summer and I don't want my trip to Europe to skate and have fun ruined by having to bring bar exam study junk along. So it has to wait another year. Unless I can graduate a semester early and take the February bar exam...

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Rachelsk9er

So you are planning to be a barrister in the future? I was called to the Bar at Lincolns Inn, on 26 November, 2009, and am now back to Singapore, and settled in there.

I managed to land myself a 6 month internship job in a not well known French bank in Singapore, all coz of my Bar certificate. :D

Good luck with your law studies for the next two years or so. I did have to give up my skating for 4 years due to the Bar exam and also the law exams. :cry:

londonicechamp

starskate6.0
02-20-2010, 07:31 PM
just a short note "
Don't wast your money on Expensive Hotels, There are lots of little guest houses in the side streets within 5/10 minutes walk of the rink. No where is to far to walk in this town. Iv seen places for bed and breakfast , private room and bath for as low as 40 Euro a night , very nice very clean. Bikes for rent in town and some at the place you would stay . Go for a nature walk into the mountains or take a bike , its worth it . Dont just go to skate get out and see something or you really miss Oberstdorf.. Go on line and look for Accommodation Oberstdorf and look for family Hause..