View Full Version : Flying with Skates post-Underwear Bomber

RachelSk8er
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Anyone flown with skates since the holidays? Were your skates allowed on? Just wondering, since with adult sectionals coming up and Nationals not long after that (eek) a lot of us will be flying. And it really impacts how you pack. I'm sure checked baggage can't be avoided for ANs since we're there all week, but hopefully for sectionals I can carry on the skates, not have to check anything, and save $40 round trip.

mdvask8r
02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Fly Southwest if you can . . . Bags fly FREE :!::!:

Skittl1321
02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
My coach flew from tiny airport to LaGuardia for New Years and she carried on her skates. She said like 5 people had to look at them, but that it was pretty much no-hassle to her, just that they were all unsure. She didn't try to carry them back through the major airport though, so I don't know if they would have allowed it or not.

Just give yourself enough time that you could go back and check them if they don't allow it. It certainly doesn't hurt to try.

caffn8me
02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Different airlines will have different interpretations of the rules so it's far better to check with the airline first. I know some airlines definitely won't allow ice skates in carry-on.

Good luck,

Sarah

Skittl1321
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Different airlines will have different interpretations of the rules so it's far better to check with the airline first. I know some airlines definitely won't allow ice skates in carry-on.

I've never had an airline (including international) check what's in my carry on. Just the regular security (which, is redone internationally). Are there some airlines that do additional screening?

mdvask8r
02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Sure they check the contents when it goes thru the X-ray. It's not difficult to see the skates and blades.

Skittl1321
02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Sure they check the contents when it goes thru the X-ray. It's not difficult to see the skates and blades.

But airlines don't do that. At least not in the US; TSA does. In other countries do the airlines do all their own screening, instead of the government? (Sorry RachelSk8er- this is off topic...)

jwrnsktr
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I heard they had lifted the ban on carrying on your skates, but it is best to check with the airline you are flying. Who knows - from day to day it could change with the security alert status.

rlichtefeld
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
In the US, skates are not on the official banned list.

HOWEVER, it is up the TSA agents/supervisors on that shift whether you will be allowed to get them through the check point or not.

The best solutions are:
1) arrive to the airport early,
have your skates in a carry-on sized bag - well padded, well packed,
attempt to go through security,
If it works, everything is great.
If blocked at security, go back to the ticketing area and
check the carry-on bag that is well padded, well packed. You will have to pay the check bag fee unless you are a frequent flyer.

Do NOT check your skates flopping around in a lightweight bag.

Or,
2) Pack your skates in a heavy duty bag, with lots of padding, making sure they won't move around, and check that bag when you get to the airport. I use my club jacket, fleece pants, tights etc as the padding. Making sure the blades are well protected.

I usually do the 2nd, but have done the 1st. And, have been turned back at security a few times.

Rob

Skittl1321
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I've also seen it suggested (and this only works at airports with short security lines) to go speak to the TSA agent BEFORE checking your bags. If they say okay- then go check your normal bag, and go back through security, going to the same agent.

If they say no- put ice skates into the bag you planned to check, and go and check it. That way you aren't paying to check an EXTRA bag when turned away.

Some people have said not to do it, becasue asking about them, rather than just putting them through the x-ray, causes them to give it more consideration. But really- sharp blade and toepick- seems like it's going to get some consideration either way.

Bill_S
02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Has anyone ever shipped their skates to a hotel via FedEx, etc. to bypass the whole airport lost-luggage and carry-on issues?

I've often considered doing that if I need to travel somewhere where I MUST have my skates, but haven't done so yet.

doubletoe
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
The TSA does not prohibit ice skates in carry-on bags, but it is ALWAYS up to the discretion of the TSA supervisor on duty to decide whether to allow them on board.

TSA supervisors at large international airports like JFK and LAX are particularly strict, but I have gotten through with my skates at LAX by showing the supervisor these two print-outs from the TSA website:

1) The first page of this list, showing that ice skates are not on the list of prohibited items in "Sharp Objects" or "Sporting Goods."
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

2) This webpage, which actually shows a picture of sporting goods that are ALLOWED in carry-on luggage, and right there among them, a figure skate!
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm

He still wanted to feel the blades, so I pointed out how shallow the actual edges were on the blade (mainly in order to take his attention away from the toepick, LOL!).
I also had the competitors' list and announcement on hand to show him that I was a figure skater flying to a real competition.

NoVa Sk8r
02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I've not flown with skates since the Underwear Bomber, but I have never had any problems taking my skates through La Guardia, Kennedy, Newark, or Reagan Airport in DC, as well as other airports throughout the country. When the skates are about to pass through, I always alert the screener and say, "Just to let you know, I have a pair of skates in my bag." They usually just nod their head, sometimes appreciatively so that they don't get a big shock while looking at the image.

The last time I flew (to Portland, Ore., from Newark) the screener said no, but then I asked for the supervisor who corrected the screener and let the skates go through. :) One time, I happened to have the competition announcement with me and showed that to the screener, who then let me through!

But of course, it is best to allow extra time just in case the screener says no.

RachelSk8er
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Fly Southwest if you can . . . Bags fly FREE :!::!:

The price difference and lack of direct flights on Southwest here don't make up for the lack of baggage fees.

RachelSk8er
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Good luck,

Sarah

It has nothing to do with the airline, it has to do with TSA employees, who are federal employees not affiliated with any airline. You need to check with them when getting to the airport BEFORE checking in with your airline.

The only time I've ever had trouble since about '03 was when Stormy, Vesperholly and another skater and I were flying out of ATL after Peach. The TSA supervisor was a real douchebag. We had paperwork from the TSA web site stating skates were allowed and everything but we were forced to check them. Then the supervisor said we would be allowed to cut to the front of the (long) screening line after we all had to run back to our airline counters and check our bags, but the TSA employees were all @ssholes.

vesperholly
02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
2) This webpage, which actually shows a picture of sporting goods that are ALLOWED in carry-on luggage, and right there among them, a figure skate!
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm
Oh no, that's not a picture of ALLOWED carry-on luggage, says the d!ckwad TSA supervisor in Atlanta ... that's just a general illustration. :roll:

The only time I've ever had trouble since about '03 was when Stormy, Vesperholly and another skater and I were flying out of ATL after Peach. The TSA supervisor was a real douchebag. We had paperwork from the TSA web site stating skates were allowed and everything but we were forced to check them. Then the supervisor said we would be allowed to cut to the front of the (long) screening line after we all had to run back to our airline counters and check our bags, but the TSA employees were all @ssholes.
Just thinking about that!!! :frus: Did you ever file for a refund?

I really, really wish they'd end the vagueness once and for all and just put ice skates on the list either way.

daisies
02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I've also seen it suggested (and this only works at airports with short security lines) to go speak to the TSA agent BEFORE checking your bags. If they say okay- then go check your normal bag, and go back through security, going to the same agent.

If they say no- put ice skates into the bag you planned to check, and go and check it. That way you aren't paying to check an EXTRA bag when turned away.

Some people have said not to do it, becasue asking about them, rather than just putting them through the x-ray, causes them to give it more consideration. But really- sharp blade and toepick- seems like it's going to get some consideration either way.

This is what I do and have suggested it on these boards in the past. It sometimes has worked at LAX -- one of the tightest-security airports in the U.S. -- and always has worked at the airports I fly out of to return home from AN, like Detroit last year, Albany the year before and Chicago the year before that. When I first arrive at the airport, I go straight to the TSA security gate that I will eventually be going through, ask to see the supervisor and explain to the supervisor what's up. I also get his name and ask if (s)he will still be there in 15 minutes, when I intend to return!

(It worked at LAX last year because the supervisor was totally into it. He even said, "I'm sure you're nervous about the competition, so we don't need you to be worried about your skates too!" Loved him!)

So once I got the approval, I went and checked in for my flight, checked my one big bag, returned to the TSA gate and got a few strange looks when my bag went through x-ray, which is when I said, "(Supervisor's name) said it was OK!" And sure enough, supervisor dude told them to let me through. :)

I don't think it hurts to try this. Like Skittl1321 said, it's not like they're not going to notice steel blades in your carry-on! What's more, it doesn't call attention to your skates at all because you're talking to a supervisor, leaving to check in, and then coming back to have your bag x-rayed by someone completely different. The person who x-rays your bag might still say something to you when you go through, but at least if you've gotten approval ahead of time, you have something to tell the x-ray person, who will then confirm with the supervisor you already talked to.

Stormy
02-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh no, that's not a picture of ALLOWED carry-on luggage, says the d!ckwad TSA supervisor in Atlanta ... that's just a general illustration. :roll:

I really, really wish they'd end the vagueness once and for all and just put ice skates on the list either way.

I think part of the problem was the 4 of us at once with them. That's the only thing I can think of. I've taken my skates through Hartsfield more times than any airport except Boston with no problems. :frus:

Well, I'm still going to carry mine on next weekend to go to Easterns. I've never flown American before and I have AA nonstop on the way down and Delta with a JFK connection on the way back so so way am I checking them either time. Boston never gives me a hard time about them, once in a while they ask to look at them but not often.

RachelSk8er
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM

They won't give us a refund, they said the TSA employees can use their discretion and we're SOL.

I still think the most hilarious thing ever was when they didn't even queston my skates, scissors, screwdriver, and large set of interchangable knitting needles, but comfiscated my half empty toothpaste because the container said 3.6 ounces. The best part was that the TSA lady was so serious.

"Ma'am, I can't let you take this through, would you like to check it?" (Holding up toothpaste)
"You realize I have ice skates, scissors, a screwdriver and knitting needles, right?"
"Those are fine, but I can't let this through."
"It's half empty!"
"I have no way of knowing that, would you like to check it?" (It was one of those clear plastic stand-up toothpastes, so as if that weren't obvious enough.")
"You mean I can just check that tube of toothpaste?"
"No, you need to check your whole bag."
"No, toss the toothpaste."

I head off to board my plane with my array of sharp metal objects laughing so hard I almost missed my flight.

vesperholly
02-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I think part of the problem was the 4 of us at once with them. That's the only thing I can think of. I've taken my skates through Hartsfield more times than any airport except Boston with no problems. :frus:
Or maybe they could tell how truly evil we all are! muahahaha :evil:

"You realize I have ice skates, scissors, a screwdriver and knitting needles, right?"
"Those are fine, but I can't let this through."
Classic!

RachelSk8er
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Or maybe they could tell how truly evil we all are! muahahaha :evil:

Classic!

More like utterly awesome and sweet at life. They were intimidated by all those medals we were bringing home.

I am proud that I was the only one (I think) able to get the Coke bottle from World of Coke home, though. Because I didn't throw mine away before we got to security like the rest of y'all, I was going to try and sneak it through security. So when they made us go check our skates, I still had it.

Stormy
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Rach, you have no idea how much that bums me out. I really wanted my Coke bottle!! :(

Kat12
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I think I'd try, just in case. I'd be nervous to check skates, especially if I needed them for something important at the place I was going, just in case they got lost or stolen in the checked baggage...

caffn8me
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
For what it's worth, ice skates are explicitly prohibited by the UK government from carry-on luggage;

Dangerous and restricted items: what you cannot take on board a flight (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/TravellingAbroad/AirTravel/DG_176922)

MQSeries
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
This is just my opinion but unless you're an elite, elite skater with extremely expensive pair of custom skates, why would you even want to carry your skates onto the plane? And even the very elite skaters check their skates into the cargo.

AgnesNitt
02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I am a low level skater.
My skates are custom--about $1k--because of a foot condition. The orthopedic inserts are about $600. It takes 6 months to get the inserts and the boots made. Inserts first, they are then shipped to Harlicks and the boots built around them.
So, although it's rare, expensive skates are not just for elites.

daisies
02-13-2010, 12:52 AM
This is just my opinion but unless you're an elite, elite skater with extremely expensive pair of custom skates, why would you even want to carry your skates onto the plane? And even the very elite skaters check their skates into the cargo.

Why would you want to carry them on? Is that a trick question?

Obviously it's so that they don't get lost. When you're traveling to a competition, you kind of need your skates when you arrive; otherwise there's no reason to have traveled. It's not like you can just replace them when you get there if they are lost.

Elite skaters only check them if forced to, which is the case when they travel internationally. And the previous poster is right, it's not just elite skaters who have expensive skates. In fact, most have the same boot and blade that a non-elite novice, junior or senior skater has, except the elite skater might actually get them for free as part of an endorsement deal! But still, a broken-in skate is not replaceable when traveling to compete. That's why you want the skates with you at all times.

Stormy
02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
What daisies said. I know someone who had a pair of skates lost, never to be found, going to synchro nationals a few years back. I mean, you spend all that time and money preparing for and going to a competition....why would you take the chance of having your skates lost? You'd be totally up a creek.

RachelSk8er
02-13-2010, 01:14 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the most hilarious thing I've read on here.

A competition like adult nationals costs you $120-360 in registration fees depending on how many events you do. Flight $150-300. Hotel and rental car for the week $300-600 or more depending on whether you room with other skaters or not. Countless hours and thousands of dollars spent on ice time and coaching all season to prepare. With all that invested, why would someone want to carry on their $1,200 skates that they pack with $1,500 worth of costumes on the flight there when none of us are "elite" skaters? Is that a serious question?

Debbie S
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
So, although it's rare, expensive skates are not just for elites.Yes, and who wants to spend $600 or more dollars replacing the skates (and then add $200 or so for blades) when you wouldn't otherwise have needed to. I have custom Klingbeils ($610) after having problems with multiple brands of stock boots. When I got them, I rationalized that if they lasted at least 5 years, they would cost less per year than the stock boots I'd had which gave me all sorts of problems and were worn for 2 years or less.

In November, when I broke my leg skating and the paramedics arrived, the first thing I said to them when they opened their supply kit was "Don't cut the boot", lol. The guy cut the lace instead and said, "Well, when I take this off, it's going to hurt." I said fine. (paying $600 to replace my skates would hurt a lot more than momentary agony.....and it wasn't that bad) :halo:

BlueSkate
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM

And even the very elite skaters can lose their skates when checked luggage goes missing, I've seen it happen.

Layne
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Has anyone ever shipped their skates to a hotel via FedEx, etc. to bypass the whole airport lost-luggage and carry-on issues?

I've often considered doing that if I need to travel somewhere where I MUST have my skates, but haven't done so yet.

I've had tons of stuff lost or damaged by fedex. I don't have any statistics, but I wouldn't consider it any more reliable than checked luggage.

I'm just guessing but wouldn't elite skaters have more than one pair they can compete in, and probably carry their favorites and send the spares by some other method?

doubletoe
02-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm just guessing but wouldn't elite skaters have more than one pair they can compete in, and probably carry their favorites and send the spares by some other method?

You would think so, but nope.

mdvask8r
02-13-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm just guessing but wouldn't elite skaters have more than one pair they can compete in, and probably carry their favorites and send the spares by some other method?Yes. I know of some who have done this. Some pack a pair in their own luggage and a pair in the coaches luggage or ship a pair.

sk8rdad59
02-14-2010, 11:51 AM

No, skaters typically only have one pair of skates (unless they are mulidisipline skaters). Skates are expensive and take time to break in so skaters typically only have one pair at a time and replace them every year or two.

Layne
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
No, skaters typically only have one pair of skates (unless they are mulidisipline skaters). Skates are expensive and take time to break in so skaters typically only have one pair at a time and replace them every year or two.

I realize most skaters wouldn't have more than one pair, but even Olympians? I'm sure their skates are many thousands of dollars, but that's insignificant compared to all the training they put into a single event. I can't imagine that the culmination of all that work hinges on a single pair of skates.

mdvask8r
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
See Post #32 above >>>> yes, some do take more than one pair of skates wth them.

vesperholly
02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I realize most skaters wouldn't have more than one pair, but even Olympians? I'm sure their skates are many thousands of dollars, but that's insignificant compared to all the training they put into a single event. I can't imagine that the culmination of all that work hinges on a single pair of skates.
It does.

Breaking in your skates and getting them "just so" takes time. Every pair of skates is slightly different, because they're handmade, so the skater learns to adjust to their particular pair. Imagine trying to constantly keep two pairs of skates broken in exactly how you like them. Switching between two pairs could wreak havoc on your jumps and spins. At this level, even the slightest change can make an immense difference. No skater is willing to risk that.

sk8ergalgal
02-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Unless you are an elite skater with some good endorsement deals you cannot afford with everything else to have more than one pair of skates at a time. Elite skaters specifically the last best example I remember was in 2006 at the Cup of Russia where Annabelle Langlois and Cody Hay were forced to withdraw when the airline lost her checked skates. These were custom made size 3 1/2 skates worth over $3000 Canadian. Wanting to keep your skates with you on board is kinda a no brainer.

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi

Well, I am not an elite skater, but I do have more than one pair of skates. After the rules of no skates allowed on board planes came in, as I travel between places (Hong Kong, Singapore, and London), as I was studying in London, and only come back to Singapore and Hong Kong during vacation period, I have one pair in Hong Kong, one pair in singapore, and one pair in London.

Since I have one pair in London, when I was moving back to Singapore for good in May of last year (2009), I shipped that pair back, and used the pair that I have in Singapore whilst waiting for that London pair to arrive.

And though I am not an elite skater (currently on FS level 4), I do own a pair of Harlick boots.

londonicechamp

RachelSk8er
02-15-2010, 07:35 AM
I've had 2 pair of skates before, but only because one pair had dance blades and the other had freestyle blades. Or when I was a teenager, I worked at the rink and had a pair of more broken in skates I'd use to teach learn to skate or skate guard in so I didn't have to wear my good ones. But I never traveled with more than one pair, especially since this was the 90s and skates on a plane was never even questioned, even on international flights when my synchro team went to Europe.

And the only reason I ever even had more than one pair of functioning skates was because my uncle managed a skate shop and I could get everything at cost (or less, sometimes he was able to get extra display samples to hook me up with). We couldn't afford that otherwise.

I might go back to 2 pair eventually now that I'm ditching the synchro blades and putting freestyle blades on my boots. I'm on my pre-gold dances and I might want a dance blade, but we'll see if the freestyle blade will do for now since I'm not doing much dance anyway.

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi Rachelsk8er

Well, the first time I travelled with skates in my handcarry in the mid 1990s, the people doing the x-ray before I boarded the Singapore Airlines plane, they were trying all sorts of ways to detach my skating blades from the skating boots. I told them that the blades are intact, and cannot be removed. How hilarious!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I won't forget that experience. :roll:

londonicechamp

Kat12
02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Even if skates aren't expensive comparatively, they can be expensive FOR THE SKATER. My skates, boot and blade together, only cost about $160, but if they were lost or damaged, I would not be able to afford to replace them any time soon. So you can bet I'm going to make sure they never get lost or stolen!

coskater64
02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I always find this a silly conversation. I check my skates I always try to take direct flights and I always make sure my connections aren't close. I travel to 8-10 events a year and to europe every year, my skates have been lost once, on the way back. I have tried having them shipped, sometimes it goes well other times not. All in all, try to take direct flights, check the skates and this my skates cost this stuff is silly, yada, yada, yada, blah blah...

It clearly states at DIA, no skates. I check them, I don't think I am above the law regardless of the cash outflow and certainly not my skating level, that would be laughable....

I understand elite athletes but it is what it is...