View Full Version : addicted newbie

Streak
02-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi, my name is Streak and I'm a skate-a-holic :)

I started skating early last month in a Learn To Skate pre-alpha class, and have been attending our twice-weekly daytime public skate sessions to practice the drills and just keep getting more comfortable on the ice.

I talked my sister-in-law into taking the LTS class with me so I wouldn't be the only adult out there, and she seems to be enjoying herself, but she probably will not continue with the Alpha classes. At this point, I'm having such a blast I'll be continuing regardless, even if I'm the only middle aged woman in the building :lol: ..I'm not sure I'll be taking the LTS classes, however; I think I'm going to get some private coaching instead. I'd really love to do both, but I'm not sure if that will work for me financially. In fact, finances are probably the biggest obstacle (except for lack of talent, perhaps, but as much fun as it is, I will happily spend my whole life trying to improve :D).

Are there any adult skaters here who started as adults, with little or no prior experience? At first I was intimidated being on the ice with young kids and young adults, but now I just love getting out there and skating, and being the only adult out there (or one of a few, during the public sessions) doesn't bother me a bit.

I look forward to browsing through the forum and learning more about this addictive sport!

Clarice
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Adult Onset Skating Syndrome. Sounds like you have a bad case! :)

Yes, I started at age 37 when my daughter was 5. (Now I'm 51 and she's 19.) I've pretty much always trained alongside the kids, since it was most convenient for us to skate at the same times. There are a bunch of us adult-start skaters on this board. Welcome to the club!

phoenix
02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the boards--there are a LOT of us adult skaters here!!

I started when I was 27, having never skated before. I too started in the group classes, though my rink has separate classes for adults. I switched to private lessons after I finished the basic skills levels, about 4 months in. I too caught the skating bug bad, and now 15 years later, it's still going strong.

I skate 3-4 days a week & still work w/ a coach. I do a little bit of competing, am still working my way through the testing levels, and I'm also a coach now too! In fact, I just got back from my first "travelling" competition w/ students, who brought home a bronze and a gold!

I teach all ages, but I always request the adult classes, because they're the most fun!

Enjoy--there's so much you can do with skating; it's definitely a lifetime sport!

rlichtefeld
02-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I started taking group lessons at 37. I am currently 49, and compete several times a year, including Adult Nationals, Sectionals, Peach Classic, and every couple of years in Europe at the all-adult comps there. I currently compete at the Silver level in both singles and pairs. (Silver means up to Axel in programs, no doubles)

If you are in Pre-Alpha, I would recommend you stay with the group classes for a while. There are several reasons:
1) Group lessons are a deal, at least at my rink. 1/2 hour of lesson time and a free public session during the week for practice.
2) Usually the instructors in LTS, are same ones you'd be working with in a private. Depending on your class size, you'll be getting lots of attention.
3) At Pre-Alpha, you would not be allowed on freestyle sessions for lessons, you'll be limited to public sessions. Public session can be very loud, crowded and busy. Ok for practicing, not so good for lessons.
4) The comraderie. Group lessons allow you to be with other skaters at the same level. You can show each other your improvements, and they'll understand!!! Showing an upper level skater that you can do swizzles, doesn't usually get a high-five, but showing your fellow classmate you can do backward wiggles will!

However, if you are someone who doesn't do well in group learning, you should consider private coaching. It won't make you advance that much more quickly, only more practice will.

My favorite time in skating, and my most productive, was when I was taking an Adult Freestyle group class as well as taking private lessons. Unfortunately, after a few years, I was the only one left in the group class, and they had to cancel it. If any when there are other adults at the "up to Axel" level, I'd hope they'd start back up and I'd be in the group.

There are always things to work on in skating.

Good Luck.

Rob

Petlover
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I started at age 43 and 13 years later still love it! It's fun, great exercise, and most of my friends started as skating friends.

Streak
02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for chiming in, everyone! :)

It's really inspiring to see so many skaters who started as adults and are thriving! At the moment, I'm regretting starting in pre-alpha; I probably should have started in the "alpha" class, but I really had no idea how to guage my own skill so I just started at the very bottom. I'm sure it's not hurting anything for me to be starting at square one, and it tickles me that all the kids in the class think I'm a great skater :lol:

Rob, thanks for the tips - you have me considering sticking with the group classes for now, at least through the alpha class. My main reasons for wanting to bail on the group classes is because, at the lower levels, they are quite large, and they are ALL kids (with the exception of my sister in law, who will probably not be moving on to the alpha class with me). The instructor doesn't really offer much input and when she does, it's directed toward the kids. I only realized I was leaning too far forward during the one foot glide, for instance, by watching an instructional video online. If not for that, I'd have been doing it incorrectly this whole time.

In any event, I may participate anyway, and will probably "supplement" with a private lesson once a month or so, just to catch any potential problems. The current alpha class seems smaller, anyway, and they're taught by a different instructor, so I might get better feedback there.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :D

Streak
02-09-2010, 04:00 PM
It's fun, great exercise,

Amen to that - infinitely better than the "dreadmill"! :)

BatikatII
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I started at 36 and did the once a week group classes with the kids to start with. Sometimes there were more than 20 of us so it was pretty much 'see a demo and then teach yourself'. After about 9 months I added some private coaching and got completely hooked. Then a friend persuaded me to do an adult competition and although my first comp was horrendous I did want to do it again.

have been skating on and off through various injuries for about 10 years and have dabbled in free and dance and couples dance and recently synchro and can honestly say I have never got bored with skating - there's always something new to learn.

Welcome to the AOSS club - enjoy!

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2010, 06:11 AM
I started in my 40s, and still love it, although lately I am getting very, very stiff after sessions!

Rob Dean
02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I started with LTS group lessons when I was 43. It wouldn't be accurate to say that I had never skated, since I could hack around on skates a bit as a kid, and skated the occasional public session in college, but standing up, a little stroking, and a one-foot glide were about it. I couldn't do a stop or skate backwards. I wanted some sort of exercise program that I could stick with, and that worked. :) (About 50 lbs worth....) I also wanted to spend some more time with my younger son, and that worked too. He's now competing ice dance (intermediate this past season), and passed his senior moves over a year ago, so we don't actually skate at the same time much anymore. However, having him around for the early years made embarrassment over being an adult among the kids much easier to handle.

I won't pretend money isn't an issue, but I did find that things were much easier to learn at the LTS levels with private instruction. Ask around; see which coaches at your rink work with, and like to work with, adults. As someone else said, you'll still need to put in the practice time, but I found that my practice was more focused when I had someone to correct my specific issues.

JazzySkate
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the Skating World! I started at 32 in a Xmas skating party at Rockefeller Center. Now 62-and haven't stopped since. I took Ballet/Modern (aka "Contemporary") and Jazz dance lessons as a child.

Back then Adult Groups/AN/Camps were unheard of; however, my rink had a fairly large adult skating community and I skated there mornings before going to work. Made a difference in my day! I started in Groups (can't remember if I took with kids), then when I hit FS1, took privates, but not often since I couldn't afford them (I'm ISI FS3, USFS Adult Bronze, competed in local comps, as well as the first two AN's). I'd also tape just about every televised skating competition, including the old NutraSweet Professional competitions for inspiration, especially with music interpretation.

You'll find there's always something new to learn, improve, even create, or enhance on. The challenges never end. I teach LTS and it's gratifying giving back to a sport that has helped me in many ways. Hang up my skates?? Nevah!! : )

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi

I started skating at about 20 years old, as I was quite big size at that time, and wanted to lose weight. I kept skating for 8 years, then stopped for 4 years, due to professional academic commitments.

I put on quite a bit of weight during xmas of 2008, and so decided to pick up skating again in January 2009, when my friend offered to watch me doing outdoor ice skating, she said that it is unlikely that I would have lost my skills, as skating is a lifetime sport, once you know how to do it, you will know it for life. And she was bang right on it. :lol:

Was a bit frustrated in the first two weeks, as tried to do what I was able to do before I stopped skating, only to find that those were completely gone. However, after the two weeks, they came back. I was also taking group classes in London at that time, and practised more after I was done with my professional exams, up to 3 times a week, and I was glad to see the improvements. 8-)

I came back to settle down in Singapore in May of 2009, and am still learning skating with a coach now. The only difference is that now I only can manage about twice a week skating, of 1.5 hours each time (inclusive of 30 minutes private lesson time with coach), since I now have a full time job, and only manage to go on Friday evenings, and practise on Sunday evenings. Well, with the full time job, I have gained a slight amount of weight, but then with the skating, I have managed not to gain so much, ;)

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
02-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Hi Streak

Skating is cool. I managed to make 3 new friends two weeks ago, they took group lessons (the 3 of them) with my coach. They were just at ISI Pre-alpha level.

They were practising near my practise area after my lesson. I got bored of practising my own stuff, and showed them the moves that they were doing. They were amazed at how easy I can do those elements and how flexible my leg muscles are. :)

I was not showing off, but was just trying to show them the elements, as one of them was asking me how to do the elements correctly.

londonicechamp

Layne
02-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I started 3 months ago at age 25, and I'm addicted as well. I'm surprised at the average starting age of our forum members, I thought I was something of a dinosaur in the skating world. Luckily my rink has adult classes, and there is only myself and 2 others in the class. I've lost nearly 10 lbs., which must amount to quite a bit more considering all the muscle I've gained in my legs. I absolutely hate most forms of excersize, so it's great that skating gets me to move around some.

techskater
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Skating is a lifetime sport where you can make lifetime friends. :P

Streak
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for chiming in, everyone! :)

I actually met a few skaters at the rink just recently who started as adults and they look amazing out there. Obviously, I'm nowhere near that level yet :lol: but I did manage some crossovers today, so maybe in a few months with diligent practice I'll be decent enough to try our women's hockey league.

I've noticed that several of you have lost weight or maintained a healthy weight due to skating, and I'm wondering, how are you doing it? Is it because you're skating at a skill level that involves jumps and spins, or are you just skating at a fast pace for a decent chunk of time and getting a cardio workout? Will this (possibly) happen for me too, once I improve? For now I skate at a medium pace, and a large part of the session I just stay in the back (or center, anywhere I can stay out of the way) and do basic beginner skating drills. Perhaps when I'm spending more time skating laps around the rink I'll be burning more calories..?

If not, I guess I'll just be a chubby figure skater :lol:

phoenix
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
As you continue to improve you'll be able to skate harder/faster, plus the skills you'll be doing will require more strength and energy to do them & therefore you'll be burning more calories.

Yesterday I was doing run throughs of my bronze FS footwork into sit spin, and wow, I was really gasping for breath! I typically come off the ice after an hour soaked w/ sweat & change to dry clothes for the ride home.

Layne
02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
I've noticed that several of you have lost weight or maintained a healthy weight due to skating, and I'm wondering, how are you doing it? Is it because you're skating at a skill level that involves jumps and spins, or are you just skating at a fast pace for a decent chunk of time and getting a cardio workout? Will this (possibly) happen for me too, once I improve? For now I skate at a medium pace, and a large part of the session I just stay in the back (or center, anywhere I can stay out of the way) and do basic beginner skating drills. Perhaps when I'm spending more time skating laps around the rink I'll be burning more calories..?

If not, I guess I'll just be a chubby figure skater :lol:

No jumps or spins for me. I have adjusted my diet some, though I don't have the world's greatest willpower. It's a lot easier to say no to cookies when it's going to make you a better skater rather than just generic health benefits or being more attractive to the opposite sex. :lol: I do just skate laps quite a bit of the time. When it gets crowded you don't have many other options. Plus building up the skating muscles and getting better balance will help anything you try to do. Swizzles are easy to learn but take quite a bit of strength, try doing a lap of those occasionally for extra excersize. Last night I was racing my friend's 6 year old and that is quite a workout. I could only win because my blades are sharp and hers are not.

Layne
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
P.S. Half the coaches at my rink are chubby, so don't worry about it too much. :D

Streak
02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Yesterday I was doing run throughs of my bronze FS footwork into sit spin, and wow, I was really gasping for breath! I typically come off the ice after an hour soaked w/ sweat & change to dry clothes for the ride home.

You know, I've actually seen people changing into and out of their "skate clothes" and for some reason it didn't even register. (I'm easily distracted and not the most observant, haha) But, holy cow, they must be getting a KILLER workout. Hopefully before too long I'll be burning some real calories out there :)

Layne, willpower is not exactly one of my strengths either :lol: but you're totally right... it's become a lot easier recently to ignore certain foods when I know they aren't going to get me the results I want. Thanks for the tip with the swizzles, too; it never occurred to me to try an entire lap that way, but I can see how that could be a challenge!

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2010, 07:40 AM
I've noticed that several of you have lost weight or maintained a healthy weight due to skating

Some years ago, there was a saying in the adult skating community that you start skating to avoid having to go to the gym, and then you end up having to go to the gym anyway, to improve your skating!

I struggle constantly with my weight, and it truly is about diet and exercise! As you get more confident skating, you'll be doing lap upon lap of edges of various kinds, even just plain forward stroking with crossovers round the ends, and this does provide a good workout. But you do need to watch what you eat as well, alas.... and arguably do off-ice exercises to strengthen your core and bottom muscles, which are the ones you'll really need to be strong.

But there are loads of slightly, or even considerably, overweight adult skaters out there, and some of them are really extremely good, so don't worry about it too much! I mean, if skating motivates you to lose weight, that's fantastic; if it doesn't, don't fret too much!

Layne
02-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Some years ago, there was a saying in the adult skating community that you start skating to avoid having to go to the gym, and then you end up having to go to the gym anyway, to improve your skating!

HAHA It must be true, I was thinking yesterday about getting a gym membership. It isn't too terrible if you have good company, but boy do I despise working out on my own. I'm supposed to start running in the mornings (two more things I hate, running and mornings), but again good company should make it not so bad. Was also thinking I might get a bicycle.

mr.small
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Skating makes you lose weight?

OHNOZ! I am never going to be able to lift someone else if I do pairs at this rate (and it sounds fun...)

I need more weight, not less...

Okay on a more serious note, doing laps around the rink skating on one foot (like in an S shape over and over again, changing edges as you go) - I don't know what this is called - but it's certainly quite the workout, and I build up a sweat after two laps or so. Hockey drills can be pretty good too if you find that skating isn't making you lose weight. :)

Rob Dean
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I haven't looked in in a week or two. Around here, public sessions are usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and skating laps for that length of time will burn quite a few calories. As I became more advanced, I did end up spending a lot of time working on turns and things that didn't take quite so much energy, but then got to doing moves in the field, which is mostly laps with variations. :)

If it gives you an idea of the magnitude, I'm currently skating 4-5 40-50 minute sessions per week, and need to add some bicycling or throttle back on the eating a bit, because my weight is creeping back up. I'll be biking again when the snow melts...

iSk8Dance
02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, all exercise burns off the calories - obviously some forms of exercise more than others.

Most coaches go for the thermals on the rink but also skate more efficiently - some don't even seem to get mildly warm even after a few rigorous dances whilst I'm stripping down.

I have seen the overweight mums who've ventured onto the ice, got hooked and then lose weight.

Oh yeah, to add to the original info in the thread: started skating when around 20 and now in late 50's. I dread to think what my weight might be like if it wasn't for the skating exercise.

rlichtefeld
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Okay on a more serious note, doing laps around the rink skating on one foot (like in an S shape over and over again, changing edges as you go) - I don't know what this is called - but it's certainly quite the workout, and I build up a sweat after two laps or so. Hockey drills can be pretty good too if you find that skating isn't making you lose weight. :)

Sounds like Power Pulls.

If you can do these on either leg (forwards and backwards), you will burn LOTS of calories.

Rob

Streak
02-26-2010, 08:19 AM

LOL MrsRedboots, I think I've reached that stage :lol:

I'm going to add some interval training and planks on my non-skating days (though, if I can scrape up the money for a pass, I won't have many non-skating days). But it is very encouraging to see so many GOOD skaters out there who aren't the stick thin stereotype... at least I'll still have the potential to skate well regardless!

I can actually do that one foot S shape thing! I just started doing it accidentally while practicing one foot gliding... I was running out of speed, so I started "kicking" with the other leg to keep the momentum going, and to my surprise, it worked! (And I actually didn't fall over). Of course, I'm hardly moving the other leg at all, and I only got a few more yards worth of momentum, but hey... baby steps.