View Full Version : Were do you go for Public Skate?

FSWer
01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
LOL,well you all know were I go....Newington Arena. What about all of you?

londonicechamp
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi

Well, I do not live in the States. I live in Singapore, and there is so far only one skating rink, at Kallang Leisure Park, so there is where I go for my public skate and lessons.

There used to be two skating rinks, an Olympic sized one, at the shopping mall in Jurong. That one was called Fuji Ice Palace. However, was closed since October of 2008. The redeveloper is putting a hold on the reopening of the ice rink at that shopping mall, saying that he has to cut down costs coz of the economic recession, which hit him badly. :(

The existing ones in Kallang is not that big. However, ideal to go after work on any weekdays and weekends, with the exception of Saturdays, and school holidays.

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
I skate at my local rink, in Harrington Delaware. Publics are sometimes crazy...I show up once they've started to gauge how bad it will be. It's NHL size and nice.

My other rink, where I take lessons-I do NOT skate publics there. Too crazy and crowded.

My other rinks, up north (Skate Club of Wilmington, U of De, or The Pond) I typically hit the freestyles only.

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't. I suppose if I did, it would be at a seasonal open-air rink, but really, they're not much fun.

sk8joyful
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Where? - at the rink, of course (lol) - it's not bad,
when the public all is velcro'ed to the barrier.

And leaves me room to Focus & concentrate...

iSk8Dance
02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Arghhhhh - public sessions:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

OK, some of the 'patch' sessions sometimes aren't too good for adult dancers who need to work to finance their addiction - especially with the cute little kids who want to impress mummy at the barrier, the synchro herd, the whirling dervish group or even those adults learners who need to practise their crossovers on that circle... (end of rant :giveup: - yes, I know those boring old ice dancers get in the way of the young free skaters)

If I venture on a public session it's probably somewhere outside the country (UK) elsewhere in Europe just for fun.

Isk8NYC
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
the synchro herdThis cracked me up because I always think the over-the-boot tights look like hoofs.

I try to avoid public skating sessions at this time of the year. It's too crowded and loud for lessons and I'm getting too old to dodge the crowd. I still like to clear out the middle - being old has its advantages, especially when you can do backcrossovers and spins in the center circle and terrify the hockey punks.