View Full Version : "Danse Mineure" ?

blue111moon
01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know what this dance is? It's listed as one of the two dances for Preliminary Compulsory Solo Dance at Mountain Cup but I can't find anything in any of the dance patterns I have.

Make it kind of tough to enter a competition with an unknown pattern.

phoenix
01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
it is the Dance of Manure...in other words, total crap.

Sorry, couldn't resist......;)

Actually "Mineure" is 'minor' in French, so I'm baffeled. Any Europeans out there who can be more helpful than me??

fsk8r
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
it is the Dance of Manure...in other words, total crap.

Sorry, couldn't resist......;)

Actually "Mineure" is 'minor' in French, so I'm baffeled. Any Europeans out there who can be more helpful than me??

No real idea as I'm not a French speaker, but it looks from a google search to be one of the very basic dances as it seems to always occur with the Dutch Waltz and then they have Rhythm Blues and Canasta Tango together.

In the UK we've got the prelim foxtrot which is very simple and I know of the Palais Glide, but don't know if either of these translate to Mineure.

Isk8NYC
01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I found music for it on this site: http://www.tsgpatinage.com/musiques_des_medailles_172.htm
(It's really cute!)

It's referenced in this document, but no images of the pattern. Oh, and the document is in french, lol.
http://www.patinage-mag.com/IMG/pdf/RI_DG-ed-2007-08-provisoire.pdf

fsk8r
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I found music for it on this site: http://www.tsgpatinage.com/musiques_des_medailles_172.htm
(It's really cute!)

It's referenced in this document, but no images of the pattern. Oh, and the document is in french, lol.

But they've put the English symbols alongside the French symbols in the document, so you can work out the steps.

Isk8NYC
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh, good - I didn't realize that, I don't read dance steps often.

A graphic layout of the dance pattern would be great, but I give up on the search. Maybe the ice dancers on this site can find one.
Sorry. :giveup:

If I see any of the dance coaches at the rink this afternoon, I'll ask them about the pattern.

blue111moon
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
It just doesn't seem fair to me for an international competition to choose a dance only known in one country with music and diagrams so hard to find. Especially for beginner dancers...

fsk8r
01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
It just doesn't seem fair to me for an international competition to choose a dance only known in one country with music and diagrams so hard to find. Especially for beginner dancers...

it's probably a really easy dance, if you can see the diagram and found the timing for the music.

Skittl1321
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM

I wonder if the organizers even know that this is an obscure dance in other countries?

Mainemom
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Very interesting that so many of the terms don't get translated - brackets, rockers, mohawks, choctaws, twizzles are all the same in French as in English! I can see Ina Bauer not being translated, but brackets? I was actually curious as to what a Petite Bonne Femme was so I went looking and it's what we (US) call "shoot the duck". Funny how things are between languages!

Isk8NYC
01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I was actually curious as to what a Petite Bonne Femme was so I went looking and it's what we (US) call "shoot the duck". Funny how things are between languages!
Interesting! In the UK, they call it a "teapot." lol

I love all the differences in terms.

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2010, 06:11 AM

They probably don't realise this - if I were you, I'd email Xavier and complain, loudly, that you have never heard of this dance, have no idea what it is, and nor does your coach. Say it is unknown in the UK, too - obviously they have gone French rather than American this year!

I thought you were going up to pre-Bronze this year, anyway?

blue111moon
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I've sent a polite inquiry to Olga (who took over from Barbara) but haven't heard back from her. I think it would be good if several people from different countries contacted her about this so it doesn't sound like just a couple of cranky Americans whining. :)

Pre- Bronze is a distant dream as of yet. I'm hoping to test the Dutch and Canasta at the end of March and am working on pounding the steps of the Rhythm Blues into my thick skull. Slow learner that I am, it won't be test-worthy for a while yet, I fear.

Jean and I have agreed that we will not enter Solo Dance if "Danse Mineure" remains the requirement. I may try figures again, or see if I can throw together an Interp, just to have more than one event.

Mrs Redboots
01-28-2010, 09:07 AM
I e-mailed Xavier yesterday, asking when the schedules would be out officially, and said we'd never heard of it! Again, haven't heard back.