View Full Version : A couple of questions about skating

FSWer
01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Say,I have a 2-part question. When a skater skates with their leg pointed right up into the air. The way Sasha Cohen sometimes does. Not even bent. Is it concidered a Spiral? If not what is it? Also I was wondering why is it possible and how do skaters keep gliding on just one skate when doing that type of move. Rather then their Blades just digging in the ice and making them stop,like we do when standing on one foot? BTW. watch for my Rink Report,as I go to the Rink tomorrow.

phoenix
01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
yes, it's a spiral--it's a very good spiral!

They keep gliding because they have gotten up speed before picking up the foot to start the spiral. And because they keep the skating foot (the one that's on the ice) facing straight forward in the direction they want to go. If they turned the foot sideways, it would make them stop.

The faster speed you have before you start the glide, the farther you'll be able to glide. Can you do that on 2 feet? Start skating along, then just put both feet still on the ice and let yourself continue to glide along without moving your feet.