View Full Version : Adult Competitions

Whimsical
01-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi guys :)

I know there are a ton of Adult competitors in this forum and I have a question for you all. I am soon to be 21 (yess!) and am considering moving into adult track rather than try and compete down in standard after such a long break off the ice.

I'm wondering how the events work in the Masters division? I've gathered that Pre-Bronze through Gold is just one freeskate @ 1:30 (??), plus other optional events like artistic and such, much like the lower levels of standard. Is it the same for Championship Gold and Masters levels or is there a short program/long program format in these competitions?

Skittl1321
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
The levels pre-bronze through gold all have very different times and required elements. That's essentially pre-preliminary through juvenile. USFS has a rulebook online, go download it and read about what is what. Competition announcements will also let you know what is expected at each level.

What level did you skate standard track- that may help us guide you in what to look for.

Master's division is Intermediate/Novice and Junior/Senior. (I think it is only a freeskate, but may have a qualifying round.) At nationals, Gold level and Master's use IJS scoring. To skate Championship level for Gold/Master's you must qualify through sectionals. Non-championship events are held that are open.

ETA: This is this year's nationals announcement- it might help you understand how the event works: http://www.usfsa.org/Content/events/200910/usadultchamps/2010%20U.S.%20Adult%20Championships%20Announcement .pdf

Of course, non-qualifying competitions can do things differently.

rlichtefeld
01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
US Figure Skating has quite a bit of info on the Adult program on their website.

Adult Program Main Page:
http://usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=46

Adult Program brochure:
http://usfsa.org/content/adult%20brochure.pdf

Adult Test and Well Balanced Program info:
http://usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=112

Official Rulebook:
http://usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361

However, if you have specific questions, please feel free to ask. I chair one of the largest all-adult comps in the US, the Peach Classic. And, I'm on the USFS Adult Committee this year.

What is the highest MIF and freestyle tests that you passed? If you don't remember, you can PM me your name/USFS #, and I can look it up for you.

Rob

Whimsical
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I actually never got around to competing, however .. I did test/prepare to test up to Junior moves/intermediate free. Life circumstances always prevented it, unfortunately. I was competition ready for Intermediate, anyway. Hope that helps a little.

I think I mostly understand everything you said now! The only way to compete in Championship Gold or Masters at Nationals is to first qualify through Sectionals? Can you only get to Sectionals by qualifying at Regionals? I guess I'm confused about the whole open competition thing. So basically, anyone that wants to compete at ANs can, because they have events for all levels? No qualifying necessary, except championship gold and up skaters. Ha, its a lot but I think I might be understanding.

Thanks for the help!

Skittl1321
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
If you have your intermediate free then you would be master's level. Adults don't have regionals, they start at sectionals- which are held seperate from eligible level sectionals- (adult sectionals are coming up soon).

There are qualifying events at Adult sectionals, and non-qualifying events. Only the highest levels (which you'd be in) have to do qualifying, this these are the championship events. (These are for the masters's intermediate/novice, master's junior/senior, and gold levels for freeskate)

However, there are also OPEN gold/ master's levels at adult nationals, which anyone who has the test level can enter, without first going to sectionals. Master's skaters also have their own interpretive events.

Most anyone can compete at Adult nationals- the idea is that it is a very inclusive event, however, Pre-Bronze freeskaters and Preliminary Ice Dancers cannot compete. The "encouragement" test levels are not included in nationals.

RachelSk8er
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
You'll also find that competing adult is a little closer to test track compared to what you'd need to be competitive at the same level in standard track (i.e. I've seen skaters in intermediate doing 2axels...you see the occasional 2axel from ladies in masters junior/senior, no triples. More men are doing 2axels, and only one man has done a triple at ANs). So pay special attention to the well balanced program requirements and what jumps are required at each level to help you determine if you should test up or not. For example, if you have intermediate free but you have a consistent 2flip and/or 2lutz, you may be better off competing in masters junior/senior. It may not be an issue since you don't really have competition experience, you just have to stick with what jumps you are permitted to do at the level you skate at.

Whimsical
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
If you have your intermediate free then you would be master's level. Adults don't have regionals, they start at sectionals- which are held seperate from eligible level sectionals- (adult sectionals are coming up soon).

There are qualifying events at Adult sectionals, and non-qualifying events. Only the highest levels (which you'd be in) have to do qualifying, this these are the championship events. (These are for the masters's intermediate/novice, master's junior/senior, and gold levels for freeskate)

However, there are also OPEN gold/ master's levels at adult nationals, which anyone who has the test level can enter, without first going to sectionals. Master's skaters also have their own interpretive events.

Most anyone can compete at Adult nationals- the idea is that it is a very inclusive event, however, Pre-Bronze freeskaters and Preliminary Ice Dancers cannot compete. The "encouragement" test levels are not included in nationals.

Thank you so much, that definitely clears up most of my questions. I just have one more (I think!) - are competition standards in Masters true to test, or are competition standards much, much higher than test like in standard track?

rlichtefeld
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I actually never got around to competing, however .. I did test/prepare to test up to Junior moves/intermediate free. Life circumstances always prevented it, unfortunately. I was competition ready for Intermediate, anyway. Hope that helps a little.

I think I mostly understand everything you said now! The only way to compete in Championship Gold or Masters at Nationals is to first qualify through Sectionals? Can you only get to Sectionals by qualifying at Regionals? I guess I'm confused about the whole open competition thing. So basically, anyone that wants to compete at ANs can, because they have events for all levels? No qualifying necessary, except championship gold and up skaters. Ha, its a lot but I think I might be understanding.

Thanks for the help!

I can't tell from your response if you actually passed Intermediate, or if you were just ready to.

If the highest FS test you PASSED was Juvenile then that puts you in Adult Gold for competitions. However, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to test.

Only the Championship events have qualifying at Adult Sectionals. All other events are open events at Adult Sectionals and Adult Nationals. All the open freestyle events are separated by age groups. So, you'd be skating against other "youngsters".

Skittl1321
01-19-2010, 01:46 PM
and only one man has done a triple at ANs

Is this still true? I thought both Holliday and Powley had done triples.

ETA: 2007 protocols have "Rabin" with a 3S (Holliday too). Both got negative GOEs. I can't find a protocol that has Powley landing one, though.

Whimsical
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
You'll also find that competing adult is a little closer to test track compared to what you'd need to be competitive at the same level in standard track (i.e. I've seen skaters in intermediate doing 2axels...you see the occasional 2axel from ladies in masters junior/senior, no triples. More men are doing 2axels, and only one man has done a triple at ANs). So pay special attention to the well balanced program requirements and what jumps are required at each level to help you determine if you should test up or not. For example, if you have intermediate free but you have a consistent 2flip and/or 2lutz, you may be better off competing in masters junior/senior. It may not be an issue since you don't really have competition experience, you just have to stick with what jumps you are permitted to do at the level you skate at.

Thanks! I asked this exact thing just now before I saw that you posted with the answer. Before I quit before, I had consistent doubles through lutz and was attempting 2axel but not landing it at all!

@rlichtefeld - yes, sorry I passed both sides through intermediate. Was working on JR mif.

daisies
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Powley never did a triple at AN. Holliday and Rabin did, and then also a guy in Lake Placid in either 2000 or 2004 ... Eric something ... He landed triple lutz but no other triples.

To the OP, if you've passed Intermediate FS, then you can compete in (open) Masters Intermediate or Novice and/or (qualifying) Championship Masters Intermediate/Novice, but you will be limited to no higher than double loop. The well-balanced program requirements for all of those events are the same; there are only some differences in test requirements.

If you want to do your double flip and/or lutz, you'd have to enter (open) Masters Junior and/or (qualifying) Championship Masters Junior/Senior, and since you've already passed your Intermediate FS, all you'd have to do is pass your Novice FS and then you'd be eligible for those higher levels. (Again, the well-balanced program requirements for Masters Junior, Masters Senior and Championship Masters Junior-Senior are the same; there are only some differences in test requirements.)

ETA: The other guy who landed a triple (lutz) was Eric Schroyer, and it was 2004.

doubletoe
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
To answer one of your original questions, there are no short programs in adult skating, so you would just compete with a long program.

techskater
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Is this still true? I thought both Holliday and Powley had done triples.

ETA: 2007 protocols have "Rabin" with a 3S (Holliday too). Both got negative GOEs. I can't find a protocol that has Powley landing one, though.

No, Burton has not done triples, but Eric did (3Lz) in 04

RachelSk8er
01-20-2010, 08:47 AM
ETA: The other guy who landed a triple (lutz) was Eric Schroyer, and it was 2004.

Oh yeah, I forgot he competed that year. He coaches in my area.

rlichtefeld
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I tried looking at the detailed results sheets, but could only find last years

Larry did a 3S (triple Sal) last year:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/58288/results.html

If I remember correctly, also Davin Grindstaff has landed a few triples at AN.

But, I don't think anyone has landed a 3A, which I think is with the OP was making a comment on.

Rob

techskater
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Davin has NOT landed triples. Holliday, Shroyer, and Rabin (and hopefully one more this year)

rlichtefeld
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
When I had my lesson with Davin last night, I asked him about it, and he says he has. I can't remember which year(s) he said, as that I was huffing and puffing after a program run-through. And, he has some planned for this year.

However, if you'd like the years and which jumps, I can get that for you.

Also, he says that unlike what has been reported in several articles, Larry landed his first triple at ANs in 2002.

Rob