View Full Version : Jackson skate Fit Issues

momsk8er
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Can someone help me with some of the prior threads on this topic? Or some new ideas? My dd has had Jackson Elite Plus for several years, and been very happy with them. The boots started breaking down, and we ordered the exact same brand and size. She has skated in them for 4 months now. Recently she has begun to complain that her heel is lifting when she jumps and her foot seems to be slliding forward. We got them re-heatmolded and that did not seem to help.

Has anyone heard of the sizing being so far off that this happens? Any advice on how to deal with this (go back to Jackson, or try to insert some kind of shims? other ideas?).

BTW - She is working on getting her doubles consistent. She is testing Novice moves next month.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Skate@Delaware
01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
The Jackson line was re-designed a bit ago and subsequently the sizes were slightly "off." I have also noticed my heel coming out of my new Jackson Elites, but it's not enough for drastic measures (yet). I wish I had gone down 1/2 size because the padding is misleading-after two months it packs down a bit.

You could put heel snuggers into the back, pad the tongue, use moleskin, or wear bunga ankle sleeves, (not all at once, just one) each of these take up a different amount of space, depending on how loose they are.

Some boot fitters can squeeze the back, but I'm not sure-you would have to ask around.

Don't let this go on for too long. Not only is it frustrating and leads to an insecure feeling skating, it can cause long-term orthopedic problems (heel, knee, and hip problems).

fsk8r
01-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I have the exact same problem with my Jackson Elite Pluses. I started with the heel grippers but they've started to wear down as well so have moved onto a bunga sleeve. I'm using the one with gel at the front and on the heel. This seems to be holding the foot in place and I'm gettling less slippage when jumping. I'm currently contemplating getting another bunga sleeve for the other foot as I'm getting some slippage there.
I've always had problems with the jumping foot getting blisters on the heel, but the other foot is more recent and I'm putting it down to the boots breaking down. But I also have very narrow heels and have problems buying street shoes which don't slip.

jp1andOnly
01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
they changed their design slightly like everyone has said. When I had Jacksons (had to switch because old blade wouldnt fit on new design) I had them heat molded and the fitter pinched the heel. Did the trick. Before that I used Bungas

sk8tmum
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
About that heel coming up problem ... when we switched out of Jacksons a couple of years ago, the nagging achilles heel inflammation vanished (and my kids had to relearn somewhat how to jump) as the heel had been coming up in the boots. Heel locks in new boots plus split width for one and custom for the other were the solutions.

Out of curiosity, is this a Jackson problem?

Skate@Delaware
01-19-2010, 12:27 PM
About that heel coming up problem ... when we switched out of Jacksons a couple of years ago, the nagging achilles heel inflammation vanished (and my kids had to relearn somewhat how to jump) as the heel had been coming up in the boots. Heel locks in new boots plus split width for one and custom for the other were the solutions.

Out of curiosity, is this a Jackson problem?

I am wondering if it is. What brand did you switch to?

Lsk8
01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
No, I had the same problem with my Harlicks and actually just switched to Jackson to alleviate the problem. The boots are fine right now, sure hope the problem doesn't develop as I break them in.

sk8tmum
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I am wondering if it is. What brand did you switch to?

Custom Klings for one (other foot weirdnesses) and Riedells. Both have heel locks, and the Riedells were stock split width, the Klings are custom split width. Just to add to the thought .... my baby was in baby Jacksons, and had the same problem, we've now got her in baby Riedells and they fit properly.

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking that my next boots will be Klings-mostly because of a bunion, narrow heels, and not being too happy with all the padding put into boots nowadays. I feel as though I'm skating in ski boots at times (when you wear a size 10 street shoe....you don't want boots feeling any bigger than you can help LOL)