View Full Version : Mission Impossible & Picture Perfect Lessons & Practise 13-19 October

melanieuk
10-14-2002, 06:31 AM
I couldn't find this week's lesson thread, so I've started this one.

Mission Impossible
Change foot sitspins.
I did my party-trick....falling over on the change. Am I the only person who does this?
I missed the flip a couple of time in the programme, and even missed the loop once! :roll:
Some of the steps are really scratchy.
8O
Picture Perfect
The ice was lovely and it was mine for an hour.
I had loads of shots at my programme and a few were clean.
Parallel spins - half of them - were fine.
Sit spins - most of them are reasonable, all quite low and fast (for me).

I'm happy with my Monday morning skate. :D

Elsy2
10-14-2002, 07:54 AM
Saturdays are dance lesson days, and becoming my favorite skating session of the week :D

Mission Impossible: I find cross behinds to be near impossible. It's a mental thing for sure, as my coach says I do them fine in the Rhythm Blues....sigh....My cross behind on the Fiesta Tango is non-existant, and I am barely moving on the end pattern after the mohawk, Akkkkk! I suppose a little knee bend would go a long way.....I had a nasty fall two weeks ago when the tail of my blade hit the ice on this end pattern, so I'm a bit skittish about it.

Picture Perfect: After messing up the entry 3-turn on the Swing Dance a million times, I finally got a correction and can do this! My correction was to simply bring my free foot in closer to the skating foot on the turn. That did it for me!

My partner learned the ChaCha, and we tried it together for the first time. Coach said, "Not bad!" 8)

JDC1
10-14-2002, 08:00 AM
MI - Didn't have a fabulous practice, primarily because of PAIN. I am working with a personal trainer and last thursday I seriously over worked my left leg. I couldn't tell at first if it was good soreness or bad but my Sunday I knew it was muscle strain. I did my best to skate on Saturday but took Sunday off. WARNING - In case you don't already know - never, never - put icy hot/ben gay or any derivation of these menthol topical pain killers on your legs when you are wearing lycra spandex!!! I won't go into details but let's just say the menthol and the heat sensation goes all over the place.

Picture Perfect - hmm, not much, my lobes on my 3 turns are bigger and my inside 3's are much better. Didn't skate too long because of pain but I did get some nice edges and some decent mohawks.

Mrs Redboots
10-14-2002, 09:56 AM
Well, yesterday was Oxford Seniors.

Mission Impossible: To get anywhere! Even to skate well, although we got better as the day wore on. Started badly by doing a very poor solo Canasta Tango (I had the shakes, and of course my knees went stiff. Sigh). Did a rather better Dutch Waltz, but still only finished 14th out of 16 - I could have been a couple of places up on that. Then in our Variation Dance Robert forgot the steps, which put us out of synch during the first pattern. Last place. Then in our Couples Compulsories I went wrong in the Rhythm Blues, and again, we were out of synch on the first pattern. Our Golden Skaters' Waltz wasn't bad, though - it is our best dance, but not well enough to pull us off the bottom. My solo free dance went all right, except that people started clapping in time to the music, and all I could think was, well, either they are clapping too fast, or I'm skating too slowly! Another last place.
By the time we got to the final class of the day, the Zimmer Trophy (for couples), I was exhausted, but we actually skated better than we had all day, especially in the Fiesta Tango, our worst dance! But, as expected, we still finished last. Oh well.

Actually, when we talked about it afterwards, we were quite pleased as although we had made some silly mistakes, we were not totally creamed most of the time. We were not outclassed, not even in the Zimmer Trophy, and maybe next time we'll skate well enough to come off the bottom. We did in Bordeaux, after all....

And where was Lynne, who had promised to be there? Some of your friends had need of you.....

Picture Perfect: I always love competitions, even when I don't do well! It was a glorious day, the competition was well-run, and it was fun. Great to see Batikat again, who skated very well, and what was even nicer was that my daughter and her partner, fortuitously, were passing Oxford on their way home after a weekend with his parents, so dropped in and I was able to spend half an hour with her.

quarkiki2
10-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Hello, all!

Picture Perfect and Mission Impossible: Well, Saturday was our Beta test. Hubby passed all three elements (Backward stroking, backwards crossovers, and forward t-stops on both feet). I passed 2.5 of them (Backwards stroking, Forward T-stops on both feet, and r over l back crossovers). I told my instructor and our test judge that I was more than happy to repeat Beta as I wanted to make sure I was extra comfortable on the back crossovers. I was actually pleased that my r over l passed.

Our test judge said that I was pretty close on L over R and thinks I should be able to pass Beta in the middle of the next 8-week session, I fully concur. But since they teach Beta and Gamma together, I would have ended up in the Intermediate class next session anyway, so I see no difference if I was there as a Beta or a Gamma. I think I'm close enough on FO3s and inside mowhawks that I hope to pass Beta AND Gamma next session -- I think that's well within my capabilities.

Speaking of the FO3s, my instructor says they are improving each class and that my form is quite good until I drop my free foot. Hubby can do his LFO3 easily, though he has posture and wild arm issues. He won't even attempt the RFO3, LOL! This is the ONE thing I will try that he won't, LOL! I think that it's all of those dance lessons finally helping out a bit -- you turn both ways as a dancer and so I have no fear issues with the turning -- just with the backwards glide!

nutty-ducky
10-14-2002, 11:00 AM
all of my stuff was picture perfect (i think!)

my coach wants me to do the next test. i don't know when it is but i have to do only 4 elements! cool! :D the elemnts are forward crossovers, forward inside and outside edges, spirals on both legs with a mohawk, and the backwards edge. i can do all of it, but i have to improve it!
also i am going to be doing a gala in my rink and i have to do my program with my sister (it is going to be like a mirror image). last night we ran through it and it was quite good! :D

Yazmeen
10-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Can't help you on the poll--Monday in general is the one day a week I don't skate--too much going on at the hospital usually.

Da, da, DA, DA, da, da..(hum the Lalo Schifrin theme...) Back edges--stink, stank, stunk, to quote the Grinch, but I also waited until the end of the hour to do them, when my ankles were totally KILLING me and begging to be "de-Klingbeiled."

Pretty Pictures: Forward crossovers--yummy, yummy!!! Even though I still can't get a ton of bend in these boots, I have better form and speed than I've ever had with these--one right to the next, no more two foot gliding in between. Back crossovers were scratchy but better. Stroking was good--but it still exhausts me more than anything (Stroking and swizzling really press on the boot tongues and the ankles start screaming and wear out quickly).

For lesson on Tuesday, I'm going to ask for a backwards day: Edges and crossovers. I'm off ice next week as I'm at a conference, but I guess when I get back it will be three turn time!!!8O

Overall, the boots are softening, and I'm getting more used to them and the blades. I do LOVE the Aces. The second push on crossovers is much easier now, and I think spinning will be much improved. Every so often on forward crossovers I get going at such speed that I scare myself and stop!!! :oops: It is still a lot to get used to, but everything is coming back so far, and its coming back better than it used to be.

Happy skating, y'all!

Beth 8)

Debbie S
10-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury, JDC1. Hope you feel better soon!

Picture Perfect:

The teenage helper wasn't there at Sat's lesson, so I worked with the rest of the group - all Freestyle 3's (I'm a 2). The instructor did a really good job of going over skills that we all needed to do, like the back spin, waltz combos, and moves, and segmenting what each group could work on separately. And he was good about not spending too much time on any one element so that we could work on as many things as possible. He is a former competitive skater, so he has a very good eye for what we each need to do to improve something. Although they weren't at my level, I did learn the BI 3's and salchow with the others.

Well, it wasn't exactly picture-perfect, but I think I solved the mystery of the salchow. My instructor pointed out that I was leaning "inside the circle," and that I should keep my weight over my left foot as I turn, so that I don't twist around or have to put my other foot down. Once I got the hang of that, I managed to rotate a few - although they seemed more like half salchows, but I guess that will improve in time. The most important thing is that I don't freeze after the turn anymore.

My toe loop is getting better, since I'm working on holding the edge longer before the FI 3 - I just have to use my toe pick more on the takeoff - to get more height.

My instructor complimented me on my BO edges - I'm actually tracing real lobes - as long as I keep my arms relatively still.

Mission Impossible:

BI edges! Ugghh! I think next week, I'm going to ask my instructor if I can start with those and get some tips. The problem is that I don't end up going anywhere -if that makes sense.

Back spin has about 1/2 to 1 rotation. Minimum standard for passing my level is 1, so I think I should be OK by test day in 3 weeks, but if my forward spin acquisition is any indication, I fear it will take me a long time to actually have a normal-looking back spin.

Of course, the real Mission Impossible this week may be finding a time to practice. I have an obligation tomorrow (early) evening and a B-school visit on Wed aftn 45 minutes away which will likely prevent me from practicing at my rink on those days - my rink doesn't have freestyle on Mon or Thurs - grrr. I think my only option may be another rink's freestyle time on Fri aftn after work - assuming they still have it scheduled.

singerskates
10-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Mission Impossible:
Still off of the ice so no skating yet.

Picture Purfect:
Have a date with my friend to go to the rink tomorrow to watch my fellow skaters skate and to play their music. I'm able to sit for quite a while now (4 hours at a time) and walking is no longer a pain. Just wish I wouldn't keep falling asleep with no warning. I'm only taking Advils (pain pills) at night to sleep now.

Happy skating everyone.

garyc254
10-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Mission Impossible:

BI edges! Ugghh! I think next week, I'm going to ask my instructor if I can start with those and get some tips. The problem is that I don't end up going anywhere -if that makes sense.

I've stated before and will continue to that:

BI edges are against the laws of physics!!!

When you push in one direction, you should go in the opposite direction, not back the way you pushed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

KathySkates
10-14-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
I've stated before and will continue to that:

BI edges are against the laws of physics!!!

When you push in one direction, you should go in the opposite direction, not back the way you pushed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL Gary! I agree! This morning, my funny Russian dance coach was teaching another student some moves. She's a good little skater but evidently wasn't up to his high standards. I was about ready to take off for a jump when I heard him bark (as he shook his head sadly) "Is very sad you cannot do back inside edge! Very sad!" He sounded so forlorn that his student and I just cracked up!
Well, I thought that if this triple jump kid is having trouble, I shouldn't feel too bad!

My skating isn't picture perfect but it is a less impossible mission. Some of my double jumps are showing up. They aren't sticking around for dinner or even a cuppa but I am really excited! I never thought it possible after all the physical/medical stuff I have been through!
I have been in physical therapy for bad hip pain. The PT thinks that it is caused by weak abdominal muscles. (I have had 3 extensive abdominal surgeries) I have not even been that good with my exercises and I am noticing a TREMENDOUS difference in every aspect of my skating! I now know why Sasha Cohen and Katherine Healy Burrows are the way they are. CORE STRENGTH!
Who knows, I just may become religious with those excercises!
Have fun everybody!

1lutz2klutz
10-14-2002, 02:07 PM
Miracles do happen!
Picture perfect-everything! Did a run through of the progam and Coach said it was the best I've ever done. Usually he insists on double or even triple run throughs, but this time he said "There's no way you can top that " and settled for one. All my jumps were on today too, landed cleanly on an outside edge. The lutz not only came to visit, it came with a beautiful loop attached to it in combination! Camel spin took off with speed and position, sit spin looked like a real sit spin, back spin was clean and centered....I can die happy now! I'm afraid to go back on the ice and screw it all up again. Maybe I should rest on my laurels and never skate again...........8O

dbny
10-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Mission Impossible
I've been working on BI threes on the boards and today I decided it was time to try one with a spot instead. Of course, I stiffened up and took quite a splat. I did do the turn, but caught the FO edge and went down like a ton of bricks, but managed to stretch out, so I whacked my elbow and thumped my hip. Hubby insisted I try again right away, and...

Picture Purfect
I did two RBI threes, with just a tiny spot for confidence. FI Mohawks are improving, and I managed a few LFO closed Mohawks today, but nearly wiped out on the RFO. Closed are so much easier than open for those of us with zero turnout. Our crazy dance coach is talking Chocktaws :roll:

JDC1
10-15-2002, 08:27 AM
As I am still in pain I tried to baby myself before and during my group lesson. Am not skating anymore until Saturday, will stretch as much as I can and walk so the leg doesn't cramp up too bad.

MI - nothing was all that bad I just avoided putting too much stress on my left leg - no waltz jumps, no salchows and only 3 flip attempts.

PP - Nothing really was picture perfect either. :-) We learned sit spins and actually I got around a few times each attempt! I also did back spins when they were doing scratch spins, I rotated more than once a couple of times!! So that was cool. My back spins last night felt more confident than they ever had.

Yazmeen
10-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Today, I was a baby eating ice cream for the very first time...(explanation to follow)...

Impossible: NOTHING, NADA, Zip!!!!:)

VERY pretty pictures: What a great lesson. We really worked on crossovers today. I am finally really getting the "inside edge, outside edge" motion--C push with the inside edge, and then use a good outside edge with the other foot to push through for the second push, and VOILA!!! No more toepick scrape!! Same for back crossovers, which today, were the best I've ever done them. Worked on edges too, and coach told me I'm finally doing back outsides correctly, shaky as they are with the new skates. I'm finally keeping the free foot forward to the top of the "arc" and then bringing it back. Same with insides, although inside right is still pretty poor. Basically, I'm finally REALLY finding my outside edges for the first time and letting the edge do the work instead of trying to force it or use my arms, etc. too much. I finally have the support from the skate to do so. We also tried a spiral, and on the single try for each (outside and inside) I got much more curve and was told my free foot was up higher than before. Its a combination of better support from the boot, a curvier blade, and finally finding those edges.

As to my first comment: Many years ago, on an appearance on SNL, the late and much missed actress/comedianne Madeline Kahn did some impressions, and one was of a baby eating ice cream for the first time. She was all wide eyed and smacking her lips, looking pleased but also a little scared. That's exactly how I felt today--all of my basics are improving with these new skates, but the feeling is so new that it just throws me a little each time I'm out there. Still, its mostly ice cream, Rocky Road, a double scoop!!! :P

Enjoy!!!

Beth 8)

JDC1
10-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Oh I loved her. I'll never forget the line " I know a little German..........":-)

Congrats on your progress with the new skates. Still haven't bought mine yet but am waiting on birthday money. :-)

garyc254
10-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Seems to be a lot of pain in the practices this week. Hope everyone heals soon.

POLL: Monday nights are my favorite skate nights. I get a half hour warmup on a patch of ice between the Learn To Skate kids (they're so fun to watch), then a 45 minute freestyle session to practice elements (what few there are), then a half hour group lesson, followed by an hour of adult only public ice.

PP: Inside mohawks are doing well. Still a little stiff on the left, but after a dozen or so they get comfortable. Still need work on my 3's, though.

MI: HOCKEY STOPS!!!! :evil: I'm going to get them if they kill me (and they might). I can do them fine at VERY slow speed, but if I have any momentum..... :evil:

Still having some trouble skating with my arms down due to the rotator cuff strain (it's really hurting). I've been working hard on getting enough shoulder rotation to do anything while maintaining my balance. It's getting better, though. Practice, practice, practice!!!!

Yazmeen
10-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Gary: On hockey stops--are you sure your upper body is facing forward while your lower body turns to the side? This is usually the problem most have with it--they try to turn the whole body, and end up doing a bad partial spin.

I worked with a teen skater on these once for a half an hour. He kept turning his upper body with the lower. Once he got the hang of "face and chest forward", he did much better.

Good luck,

Beth

icenut84
10-15-2002, 04:31 PM
This is from Saturday morning - first chance I've had to write it up! lol

Picture Perfect:

Not a lot. :( Didn't have a great skate. However...

Started learning the flip! Yay! (Feels weird though...)

Backward one foot slaloms are better than forward ones - am I alone on that or is it the same for other people?

Did one or two 1 foot spins from the proper entry! :D

Jumps ok - have to work on height on salchow especially, but lesson improved them all and I landed some more loops (coach commented that they were fully rotated even if they've not got much speed - we're gonna build the speed up as it gets more consistent).

Mission Impossible:

Most spins. :frus:

Jumps not really co-operating before lesson, but I guess at least they were better afterwards

Pivots not as solid as before

Hardly any motivation. Too crowded, poo ice, frustration, etc. :(

Heels hurt. :cry:

garyc254
10-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
Gary: On hockey stops--are you sure your upper body is facing forward while your lower body turns to the side? This is usually the problem most have with it--they try to turn the whole body, and end up doing a bad partial spin.

I'm pretty good at keeping my shoulders forward. My downfall is transferring too much weight to my rear skate, then catching an edge and tripping. If I keep my feet spread far apart, I can stop without a problem. When I try to do it with them less than 2 foot apart....:evil:

I don't have any problems with t-stops and front or back snowplows.

I'll get it, though. I just need to work on my weight distribution and pray I don't do a header before I figure it out. :lol: Might be time to put on a hockey helmet.

Update on my rotator cuff. Rolled over in bed last night and it popped again. Very painful. Called the ortho and they're scheduling me for an MRI just to make sure it isn't torn.

Where is that magic pill that takes all of the aches and pains away, makes your hair regrow, and keeps you virile!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-16-2002, 08:09 AM
This is for Wednesday morning.

Picture Perfect: Started to work on a new Interpretive programme; the trouble is, I want to keep it rather private until after the Dune of Flanders Cup, so I don't want to go into too much detail. I'm doing two versions - a 1.5 minute one for the Dune of Flanders Cup and the Mountain Cup (and perhaps the Atlanta Peach Classic next September, we'll see), and a 2 minute one for the domestic market. I haven't heard the 2-minute tape yet, but after my lesson (which focussed on some new skills I'll need for this programme - sorry, but I really can't go into detail) I put my headphones on and had a play, and think I have managed to sketch out the 1.5 minute version. It wants tweaking and playing with and my coach to come up with some of his brilliant ideas for me to do, but it's a start. I now put it aside for a fortnight while I go on holiday!

In my lesson we also worked on changes of edge and backwards stroking, and back chassés. I do wish our people would explain what they are looking for in our Moves, as they do yours - it's taken me forever to work out that the changes of edge are designed to teach weight shift! I think I have them nearly right now.

My back chassés were much improved - I remembered to consider the edge before the chassé as an edge in its own right, not just as a push into the chassé. So that helped.

Oh, and I did a rather good 2-foot spin!

Mission Impossible: Some of the new skills I'm learning are somewhat challenging! And I ache in interesting places..... Plus I spent far too long at the rink.... all the things I meant to do today, and I do want to have a nap soon....

flo
10-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Mission Impossible: Going to help my parents paint their new house and will miss club this weekend.

Picture Perfect: The public session was really empty last night, and I had a chance to do some moves and doubles. My friend was there, and has really progressed on his edges and three turns. Also went through 20 or so recordings of the music I want for interpretive, and selected one. Now time to cut it and call the dressmaker.

melanieuk
10-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Picture Perfect

Well not quite, but the programme is as good as it's going to get.
I've substituted the single loop for a salchow, as I already have a
loop-loop - and I prefer not to do a loop on its own around a corner! It's better with the salchow, I think. Not as high a tariff, but at least I won't (in theory) miss the salchow... and I've got a flip in it.
I didn't mess up the flip (never tested the flip before) and all the loop-loops worked.
8O
Coach said that my test might be soon - but she's said that before and it was weeks after!
I'm nervous already just thinking about it.
:roll:
Lutz was ok, but not picture perfect! :(

Mission Impossible
It has to be the change foot sit spin. I actually got an outside edge once! I didn't have much time left to practise them. Still having problems with the change though.

TashaKat
10-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Well, yesterday was Oxford Seniors.

And where was Lynne, who had promised to be there? Some of your friends had need of you.......

Hi :) I was having FAR too much fun moving all my furniture into storage :( I would MUCH rather have been at Oxford but things are moving pretty quickly this end so it was pack up and ship out! I won't hex anything but I COULD be travelling North within the next few weeks!!!

I'm sorry that it didn't go as well as it could do for you, that's one of the joy's of skating!

How did Will and Vivienne do? Did you see them? I've not heard from them but then I've not been around very much.

L x

batikat
10-16-2002, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by melanieuk
[b]Picture Perfect

Coach said that my test might be soon - but she's said that before and it was weeks after!
I'm nervous already just thinking about it.
:roll:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you will do well on your test. My kids took this recently (and passed) and it is definitely easier to pass tests under the new system (having seen some of the things that passed) as instead of having to do everything to standard as previously, the score for your best elements etc can now compensate for any poorer ones and give you the passing average. I am not sure it is a good thing for skating in general as people can pass tests now when some of their skills really are pretty poor but I guess it is encouraging for individuals. Anyway it should be less stressful than your prelim test if you took that in the old system!
Good Luck!

skateflo
10-17-2002, 04:48 AM
Mission Impossible - grrr! I still am struggling with BO 3-turns and inside 3 turns.

Picture perfect - well, I typed up an index card listing all the elements I need to work on and tuck it in my jacket pocket. In spite of a head cold for 10 days, Monday I accomplished more than I thought I would be able to.

We devoted last night's lesson to my first experience using the harness to learn the toe loop and Salchow. It was exciting, fun, very very helpful! My coach made me feel very safe and it took a little time for each of us to get used to the timing.

I am finding that if I say out loud the 'steps' involved, it helps me.

Now if I can only get some help with the toe spasms I am starting to have again. It happens in both feet when I step forward, hitting the ball of my foot, then one or two toes spasm and bend literally backward! I can remember waking up as a kid with this problem - a 'charlie horse' with severe pain. I tried a podiatrist 3 years ago but he attributed it to my increased hours on the ice and the aging process. Time to find someone else......

melanieuk
10-18-2002, 09:45 AM
I started off fine, but an hour later I was messing up the flip and loop. Crazy woman! :roll:
Anyway, ran through bits of the programme (without music), which was ok.
Some field moves and spins.
I'm pleased with the parallel today....here today...gone tomorrow! :??
Completely didn't try to do a lutz...I prepared for it, got to the point where I should pick, and though: "Nah!"
I didn't play with the lutz again. :evil:
Tha backspin is annoyingly consistently inconsistent.
It's fifty - fifty every time. :twisted:

skateflo
10-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Just wanted to add an observation. As I reviewed this past week's list I found it so refreshing that posters are at all different levels from beginner to more experienced (double jumps etc.) and included dancers, freestylers, etc.

I just want to encourage everyone that lurks to join in - we can learn from each other, share the "me too" feeling and realize that everyone has ups and downs, joys and frustrations.

Keep posting!

MissIndigo
10-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Had a lesson for the first time in ten days yesterday and about didn't make it. My cat had an emergency so I had to take him to the clinic and arrived at the rink in time only to do part of the lesson. Kitty is ok though, just in case you're wondering!

We worked on moves yesterday and they are coming along wonderfully. The best moves for me out of the Bronze test are the 5-step mohawk sequence and the forward perimeter stroking.

We worked on spins for a few minutes too. I had one scratch that was so centered I was spinning in my own rut! We have also permanently fixed my backspin--turns out I was hipping the three turn, and my hips stayed open through the spin, thus my falling onto an inside edge. Tried it with my hips closed and bingo--problem solved.

Only thing now is that I think I am trying to fight a bug or something. I am tired and my sinuses act up at night. I hope it's just allergies--I can't afford to be sick right now! In two weeks I will take my qualifying exam for PhD candidacy! Like that's not stressful enough!!! 8O

Hannahclear
10-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Picture Perfect! Make breakthrough! I finally learned to do those smooth powerful forward crossovers. My coach said I could pass the PM test with those. Wow! 8O Loop, salchow, waltz toe, waltz--not bad

Mission Impossible: Spins, blech.....