View Full Version : Is this defeat or the push I need to achieve?

Muskoka Skater
01-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Today while watching the Canadian Championships, I broke down crying. I am 14 years old and this is the first time in 11 years that I am not skating this season. I haven't skated since last May. I've always have had dreams of going to the Olympic Games and being the best of the best. I used to be on my way to being a great skater. I skated at Mariposa with the best coaches and by the time I was 9 years old I was landing Double Axels and was working on achieving a triple. I live almost two hours from Barrie and after a while, my mom got tired of driving me. So I had to start skating at a small club with coaches who couldn't handle the level of skating that I was at. Instead of continuing strive for excellence, my talent began diminishing. Now this skating season I am not skating at all. I first decided not to because I'm getting too old and I don't have the right coaches to make me successful. I didn't realize how much I truly missed skating and how much I love/need the sport in my life. My parents have recently split up and my family has a lot of money problems. I really want to start skating again because I love it so much, but I don't know what to do and I still want to be a great skater.

Do you think that I should go back and keep striving to be a good single skater, or should I give up and just skate recreationally, or should I maybe try a different discipline (ice dance or pairs ((lefty skater)))?? Thanks.

jp1andOnly
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I think at the moment you can skate recreation. You cuodl also take lessons from a local coach, maybe focusing on skills, dance, spins etc. If money is an issue, I dont think you can go up and ask mom or dad to fund your skating at the present point in time. I'm sure they wouldnt mind paying for some but not $$ like going to Mariposa. Even if you switch disciplines it still costs $$$ and in many cases the girl foots the bigger bill then the guy.

Stay in skating becaue you enjoy it. See if you can get a part tiem job doing newspapers or babysitting to help with costs....

sk8rdad59
01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
My heart goes out to you. Over the years I have met many very talented skaters with stories similar to yours. To be successful you will need the support of your parents, at your age both financially and emotionally (not exactly the word I'm looking for but it will do).

The need to be behind your decision to pursue skating. Talk to them and try to work our something that they can support. If you are willing to work part time to cover some of the cost that would be a good indicator to them of how serious you are about your sport. You might look at training at your local club and going to Mariposa once a week for a lesson with a higher level coach. Have you talked to the coaches at your local rink have they told you they couldn't help you progress or is this your perspective because your used to training with the higher level coaches at Mariposa.

Be honest with yourself about your abilities as well. You have likely matured physically since you were nine. You will need to decide for yourself if you can still achieve your goals. If your really want to acheive your goals you will need to figure out a strategy that makes the most of what you have to work with.

The other disciplines would likely entail moving to a training center like Mariposa and so would cost more. For pairs you should be 5'1" or less and under 110lbs this is pretty much the top end of the scale for pairs girls. For dance taller is more typical as partners are usually more evenly matched in height.

Muskoka Skater
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
The need to be behind your decision to pursue skating. Talk to them and try to work our something that they can support. If you are willing to work part time to cover some of the cost that would be a good indicator to them of how serious you are about your sport.

I have been looking for a part-time job ever since i turned 14 (11 months ago) and I have applied multiple times, but since I live in a rather small town there aren't many job opportunities.

You might look at training at your local club and going to Mariposa once a week for a lesson with a higher level coach. Have you talked to the coaches at your local rink have they told you they couldn't help you progress or is this your perspective because your used to training with the higher level coaches at Mariposa.

Coaches have actually come up to my mom and have told her that they do not want to coach me because they are under qualified.

For pairs you should be 5'1" or less and under 110lbs this is pretty much the top end of the scale for pairs girls. For dance taller is more typical as partners are usually more evenly matched in height.

I'm only 4'10 and 90-95lbs and i'm done growing.

slusher
01-18-2010, 03:47 PM
If you really can land a double axel, put yourself on ice partner search and the Skate Canada database.

If it's hard enough to find a four foot ten girl who is grown and can do triples, then finding a lefty one is even harder. Other than Sweiger/Lawrence, all current pairs partnerships are right landers. There are lefty guys looking for pairs partners, believe it or not and the financial partnership is more balanced since the guy doesn't have a lot to pick from.

fsk8r
01-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Is there any reason why a leftie can't skate with a right handed skater for pairs? I was watching an old clip of Jayne Torvill with her old pairs partner and realised that she was a leftie and he was right handed. The side by side jumps actually looked pretty good with them landing as mirror images.

Is there anyway you could access local sponsorship /scholarships to help fund your skating?

What about synchro as a different discipline to try as aren't the best Canadian teams from near where you live? (I'm in the UK and my geography might be a bit off).

I hope you find a way to make skating work for your family. There seem to be a lot of people who don't get to fulfill their dreams for one reason or another. Talent doesn't seem to be the only thing that's required.

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2010, 07:09 AM
*Hugs*. But listen, you aren't too old. Yes, you might have missed the "window" to train to be an Olympic-level skater, or even a national-level one, but then, how many skaters get that far? But it's a sport you can enjoy for the rest of your life, even if you can't train seriously for a year or so.

There are ways of getting your "ice fix", though - perhaps your local rink is looking for ice marshalls, and will let you skate in return for a couple of sessions a week. Or I believe many rinks in the USA allow unqualified skaters to help teach Learn-to-skate classes in return for ice time, so maybe you could do that. And if they say they already have enough people, thank you very much, then ask them to put your name on a waiting list, and keep on pestering them (very politely and courteously, of course) so that they remember you.

It is worth working with the local coaches, even if you only can afford a 15-minute lesson once a fortnight, simply to keep your skills current. There will always be skating in your life if you let there be!

kayskate
01-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Maybe some of the pros from your old club live near you are are a reasonable to commute to your new home rink. They may consider giving you lessons there. Or maybe there are more qualified coaches in the area who are not coaching presently. Not sure how you would find this out. You could probably also work as an assistant for grp lessons. You might also be mentored by one of the pros at your current rink so you can become a coach yourself and pay many of your own training expenses. Not sure what the age requirements are in Canada, but I have seen many 14 yr olds as assistants.

Kay

sk8tmum
01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Canada's coaching regs ... you can be a Program Assistant (PA), but, it's an honorarium system, offered to members of private clubs on the club's CanSkate program ice, and the maximum value is $5/hour. Skate Canada encourages the payment to be in the form of a recognition, or in something that encourages skating (ice time credit for example).

To coach, you have to be 16 years of age with a minimum skating background (one Senior Bronze or two Junior Bronze tests); you have to complete a course (costs around $550 from what I remember) and do a few other things. The courses run every so often in the different sections. Then, you complete more seminars, mentoring etc, to qualify to higher levels (it's changed a bit lately, but, that's still the general idea).

If you're not a Skate Canada member, you can't PA on a Skate Canada session; and clubs hire coaches independently, you can't work on a Skate Canada club ice unless you're under contract to that club; in some sessions, you can coach when not under contract, but, you do have to be a Skate Canada coach, and you may be prevented from actually stepping on the ice to coach (i.e. you may have to coach from the Boards).

Now, there is nothing stopping people, realistically, from teaching skating privately on a non-club ice ... and, there are people who will pay to have their kids taught, especially Learn to Skate! Maybe that's an option? Offer a combined babysitting/skating lesson package to earn money?

Isk8NYC
01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
There's a teenager who offers inexpensive startup lessons on public sessions at my rink. Lots of parents can't skate, so they hire her to keep their newbie-skating children company and protect them from the crowds and falls. She teaches some basic stuff, but nothing like LTS. It's more like she's a big sister keeping a sibling company.

doubletoe
01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I wonder if you might be able to do some video lessons with a coach who lives somewhere else? You can upload a video of your skating each week to a website, then you can talk on the phone to the coach (or he/she could e-mail you) and get corrections and advice. If the coach charges you for just 15 minutes, your parents might be able to scrape that much money together.

My parents split up when I was a teenager and I remember really feeling the need to have something stable and familiar to focus on to help me feel more grounded. I could see how skating could be that thing for you, even if you aren't in a position to compete like you'd like to. Maybe if you explain that to your parents, they will see the value in it. I'm sure they would rather have you at the rink practicing than hanging out with "the wrong kids" and getting in trouble. (and yes, I *am* suggesting you use that argument with your parents! ;)) (((HUGS)))

sk8rdad59
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I have been looking for a part-time job ever since i turned 14 (11 months ago) and I have applied multiple times, but since I live in a rather small town there aren't many job opportunities.

Don't give up even when there aren't many jobs you never know what might turn up. Even babysitting to obtain some money so that you can purchase some ice time yourself will help to show your serious about continuing.

Coaches have actually come up to my mom and have told her that they do not want to coach me because they are under qualified.

That is unfortunate. They must be only CanSkate or Level 1 coaches. Any level 2 coach would be able to at least help you maintain your skills although if you can still do a double axel ideally you would want to be with a level 3 or higher coach. Maybe talk to some of the local coaches to find out if there is a coach at another rink closer than Barrie that you could go to occasionally. It is possible to progress with few but more intense coaching sessions as long as you have the discipline to take what the coach offers and work with it on your own. You may want to contact the Section offices for NOS and COS and explain your situation they may be able to provide some guidance in finding a coach closer to home.

I'm only 4'10 and 90-95lbs and i'm done growing.

You're a perfect size for pairs if you have the daredevil streak a good pairs girl needs to be thrown around I am sure you would be snapped up by a guy whose looking for a partner. :)

I would also suggest that you start skating again at your local rink even without a coach it will send the message to your parents that you are serious about continuing to pursue skating.

Good Luck and a big HUG

celticprincess
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow you sound so much like my little sister!!! She's also 14 and about your size. She's a competitive dancer and has been in a simular situation...thought I'd start off by saying that :-) So I thought I'd share some advice. First of all, you truly sound like your heart is in skating and that your passionate about it. So my biggest advice for you is do not just give up. I tell my little sister this all the time because someone like me (who started skating at twenty) would have killed to have your talent and be in your position. Your doing double axels and triples!! Girl, alot of people may never get to that, no matter how hard they work. Definately stick to it!! You're young...enjoy hobbies and sports! If one yr off ice is doing this to you...just think what 5 or 10 will do. Since it's been such a key factor in your life...you'll definately miss and regret it, if you quit now. Plus 10 yrs down the road, say you wanted to come back to the ice, it'll be alot harder. Definately take advantage of your time and talent now!

In saying this, Olympics may be a tad unrealistic not just because you may be 'old', but more...you have to dedicate your entire life to skating, a great deal of money, and in alot of cases it's who you know/connections. Now Im not saying it's impossible...I actually know someone pretty well who competed at National level...Adam Rippon. So I've seen it happen. Just don't let that be the basis of your skating. Really think about what it is about skating that you absolutely love and really focus on it. If it's competing, then perfect your jumps, spins, programmes, moves. I'm coachless at the moment and I love competiting, so what I do is make a list of everything I need to practice or work on and self coach myself off of that. I also choreograph my own programmes and constantly working on building them. There are always things that you can work on...even without a coach around.

In regards to the money issues....I'm going through the same thing and I'm 24! Why the heck does skating have to be so expensive! lol! On all seriousness, I agree with previous posters...try to get a job, especally at a rink. I know that at some rinks...if you teach learn to skate...you get free icetime. Maybe you could also barter/trading with coaches....for example babysitting for lesson time. OR I'm not exactly sure if you can do this, but what if you held and coached an off ice...jumping/stretching/etc. class for lower competitive skaters? Maybe when you're old enough, you can work up to on ice coaching. Just some suggestions.

Well hopefully some of this advice will be of assistance to you. I tend to go all big sister on people who have situations such as this...hopefully it didn't scare you..hehe. Just hang in there sweetie, keep the things that you're passionate about close to you and work hard to achieve whatever goals you may have. This is just a small boundary/obsticle...if you love skating as much as you sound like you do, then with alittle persistance, you'll make it through.

Muskoka Skater
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks everybody for the great ideas.
I'm really taking a thought to everything you all have said and I really appreciate the encouragement and advice.
Once again thank you :)