View Full Version : Comment on Skaters' Outfits

awdean
01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I have to say I'm not much of a fan of the glittery skater outfits, especially for guys. I wouldn't mind if skaters wore a team uniform, as they do in other sports. What do you think?

Isk8NYC
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I personally think the outfits on both men and women have become a distraction and unnecessary expense.

The fashion critics catalog every outfit, so no one's allowed to wear something that's already been "seen." Who cares, as long as it's clean and fits the current wearer? Gak.

The cost of beading and costume design are wasteful, imo. Bravo to skaters who find someone else to pass it on to or recycle it for themselves. It's silly to put every costume in mothballs because it's not brand new and custom-designed. Figure skating is expensive enough without creating new ways to spend money.

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
When it comes to ladies' costumes, my personal feeling is that there is no such thing as too many rhinestones. But I do agree that they are expensive and I think they should be re-used, loaned, sold, etc as much as possible.

You can save a TON of money by learning to stone your own dresses (or better yet, making and stoning them). I don't have the time to make my own costumes, but I do stone them myself. I order all my dresses from the same dress maker. I stick to her stock dresses that anyone could order online, but with changes to make them slightly different. They're only about $140-160 even with modifications she makes for me (longer skirt length or changes to the cut of the skirt, fabric and color changes, lining nude material so I can wear a normal bra, etc). I then go to a local specialty fabric shop and spend about $100-$120 on Swarovski crystals. I've still spent about $260 total for a dress, but if I were to have someone else stone it for me using the same amount of stones, the same dress would easily cost $500-600. I get at least 2 years out of a dress for free skate, and then re-use the dress in following seasons for compulsory events, interpretive, etc. I'm constantly re-using dance dresses or old synchro costumes for dance or interp, too. (If you dance, all you really need is a spanish-looking dress, a waltzy dress, and a black or other solid colored dress or two that go with just about everything else.)

When it comes to men, I'm all for nice skating pants and a fitted shirt (nothing too baggy that is a visual distraction). Suspenders, a tie, a tux or other jacket if it's appropriate for the program. I usually like what Evan wears (except for that tan ruched shirt this year), I'm NOT into Johnny Weir's costumes at all.

Keep in mind that for a lot of high level elite skaters, they do not pay for their own costumes. Dressmakers/designers just give them to the skaters. If you can get your work on TV and photographed on maga on a famous skater's body, you're going to make a lot of business for yourself. It's no different than getting your gown on an actress at a red carpet event. Some big name clothing designers are actually doing costumes for some of these skaters. Vera Wang did the white dress Nancy Kerrigan is famous for, as well as a ton of dresses for Michelle Kwan. Roberto Cavalli does costumes for Carolina Kostner.

I think Tanith Belbin's mom does her costumes, I remember hearing that during a broadcast (when Tanith showed up with a whole new free dance dress at Torino in '06). Talk about talent!

NDsk8
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
But I don't like puffy sleeves and ruffles on the men.
And I wish Evan L. would redo his costume for the long. It looks like a bird lit on his shoulder, flew away and left a few molting feathers there.
DD

littlekateskate
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Any suggestions on where to get dresses and fast :) I have looked at Del Arbour and Sharene. I need a dress and would love a really nice used stoned one for my daughter. However there are none on ebay.

Looking for a girls 8-10 lol if there is anyone out there. I dont mind reusing one bit. Infact our rink is very frugal when it comes to costumes. We all pass around and reuse each others dresses..