View Full Version : 2010 ANs

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Hope you all registered! You have until midnight so don't forget!

I'm not sure what I'm thinking by competing 5 times (4 events, one with 2 rounds), but due to my ankle injury I had to sit out Buckeye, the Columbus holiday competition, and I registered for fewer events at usual at Wyandotte and Easterns, so I figured why not. I'm doing:

--Silver I free (new program from last year)
--Silver solo dance
--Masters I A/D interp (same program as last year but some different choreography and a different costume)
--Masters I Lt Ent/Comedy (new program)

Cheryl, Rochelle and I are staying at the Sheraton.

flying~camel
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I registered a couple of weeks ago!

I'll be doing:

- Interp I A/D
- Interp I LE/C

This will be my last year in class I! ;)

Denise, Mel, Nancy, Amanda, Stacy, Ann, Sonia and I (and our coach) are planning on staying at the Extended Stay America!

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
This will be my last year in class I! ;)

I don't move up until 2013. I get to be the old lady (at 31) in I at ANs in 2012. Unless for some reason they move the application date back a week, in which case I'd move up in 2012. But I don't see that happening. That will be a strange year. If there are competitions in Feb or March with applications due after ANs are due (like mids NQ are this year), I'll be bumped up to II for those but put back in I for ANs. Unless I can request to just stay in I (assuming there are enough skaters to split I and II) so that I could compete against the skaters I'll be with at ANs. If I hadn't decided to be born like 2 weeks late this would not be an issue. I should have known that I'd be figure skating as an adult and nationals applications would be based on the day I was born, and gotten the heck outta there on time!

I'm glad you're competing this year. You were around for some of the ridiculousness last year but not all of it b/c you were so busy running the show! Now you can run around and act goofy all day like the rest of us.

Unlike last year, I won't have a 20 pg final paper to write during ANs and final exams the following week, so I will be less of a basketcase. Just a little studying to do. Or pretend to do.

londonicechamp
01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi

What is the difference between class I and class II? I have absolutely no clue. :o

londonicechamp

dance2sk8
01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
londonIceChamp:

AGE CATEGORIES
Per rule 3292, there shall be age categories for all free skate and interpretive events, except
championship events. For the 2010 competitive season, the age categories at the U.S. Adult

Championships are as follows:

Class I: 21 years through 30 years
Class II: 31 years through 40 years
Class III: 41 years through 50 years
Class IV: 51 years through 60 years
Class V: 61 years and over

I am bummed if tonight is the last night to register for Adult Nationals. :cry: I won't be able to go this year since I have only tested up to Pre-Bronze. I am hoping to attend a few more competitions this year. That way I'll be ready for 2011. I realized I missed registration for Adult Sectionals. I am so disappointed. I really REALLY wanted to compete, but I need to test more this year to compete the way I want to.

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I am bummed if tonight is the last night to register for Adult Nationals. :cry: I won't be able to go this year since I have only tested up to Pre-Bronze. I am hoping to attend a few more competitions this year. That way I'll be ready for 2011. I realized I missed registration for Adult Sectionals. I am so disappointed. I really REALLY wanted to compete, but I need to test more this year to compete the way I want to.

I thought non-qual for sectionals wasn't due until Jan 30? It was only the qualifying stuff (champ gold, champ masters, etc) that was due earlier. Either way, contact Rochelle Revor (her contact info is on the application), if it's past due she may still be able to get you in. She takes bribes. Ha ha.

Skittl1321
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Me too. I had really really wanted to go this year, especially since it is close to me. But knee and shoulder injuries prevented me from testing Bronze. And it looks like that might be the case again this year due to my hip. I may never get to go to Nats as a class I if this keeps up.

Good luck to all who do go!

londonicechamp
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi dance2sk8

Thanks for your reply. I now have an idea what the different class is.

I am not living in the USA, so AN does not apply to me.

Anyway, do not think that I will score well if I enter into any competitions.

londonicechamp

Clarice
01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm going to ANs in Bronze Solo Dance, Pre-Bronze Dance and Interp IV LE/C. No free skate this year, as I have my hands full with all the dance stuff. I haven't done my registration for Sectionals yet, but will likely be doing the same events.

Stormy
01-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm all registered! Doing Champ Gold at Easterns with a top half finish goal, and Gold II at ANs. I already miss being a I. :(

flying~camel
01-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I get to be the old lady (at 31) in I at ANs in 2012.

That'll be me this year (I turn 31 on Feb. 8).

I'm glad you're competing this year. You were around for some of the ridiculousness last year but not all of it b/c you were so busy running the show! Now you can run around and act goofy all day like the rest of us.

Me, too! It was fun being an ANs co-chair last year but I really missed having the opportunity to hang out with people and not be at the rink, working from 6am until midnight every day! :giveup:

I'm also glad to only be doing interp this year. My health issues caused a lot of problems with my skating over the last year and I'm happy to be able to take my time getting back into shape but still be able to compete :)

flying~camel
01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I thought non-qual for sectionals wasn't due until Jan 30?

You're right - non-qual isn't due until Jan. 30. I'll be sending mine in this weekend!

Perhaps we need a separate thread for Mids ;)

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm all registered! Doing Champ Gold at Easterns with a top half finish goal, and Gold II at ANs. I already miss being a I. :(

Maybe they'll rearrange the age classes again after this year so you get shuffled back to I. Again. :P

OMG if someone did a LE/C interp to "Pants on the Ground", they would pretty much be my hero. Maybe "Pants on the Ground" can replace "I'm On A Boat" as the theme for this year's ANs.

jazzpants
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Have fun, guys!!!

I'm passing for this year. Too many things working against me going this year... most of them money and getting enough time off, but also my skating is pretty much taken apart and I'm essentially relearning how to skate all over again from scratch so I can adopt better skating habits... and come back with a Silver Moves under my belt and much stronger overall skating skills.

Please pass on my hellos to Jay the Cookie Man and Wendy Bauer (aka Wendy Bear lady!!!) for me.

Mel On Ice
01-15-2010, 07:07 PM
my last year in II, as I turned 40 in September. I'm doing freestyle and comedy interp.

Terri C
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
To note... Jazzpants' partner in crime from last year is sitting out this year as well, not just for technical rehab, but also due to a illness in the family.
Given that Dad gets through the chemo and stuff and the "R" word is mentioned, 2011 AN's will be considered. Any word, rumor, or whatnot as to where it may be as if now?

techskater
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM

We're a fun group in II (you liked my FB status, so you'll know!) :P

flo
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
We'll be there in Gold Pairs.
Still planning on Mids for Gold pairs.

16th Nationals

PinkLaces
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Bronze III Free

I just passed my Bronze FS in November. AN is an hour away from me.

rlichtefeld
01-16-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm in for Silver Men III freeskate, and Silver Pairs.

New music and programs for this year. Jessica (Allman Bros) for singles and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy medley for pairs.

We're also doing Mids, because there is at least one other Silver Pair team competing. And, we need the time to get ready. Easterns was way tooooo early this year.

Rob

Stormy
01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
We're a fun group in II (you liked my FB status, so you'll know!) :P

I can tell you're a fun group! :) :bow:

daisies
01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm entered in Championship Masters Intermediate-Novice at sectionals (PCAS) and Masters Novice 3 at AN. I'm 41, so I was in 2 last year (31-40), but the year before that I was in 3, when it was 36-45. And then a few years before that I was in 2, even though it was also 36-45! If I'm lucky, that will be the worst identity crisis I will ever have to go through in my life. :)

Sadly, no solo dance for me this year. I'm not working, so I have to save money where I can. Doing only FS saves me on the entry fee, lessons and ice time. But I hope to be gainfully employed and back in solo dance next year!

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
It's a dream of mine....but I'm still trying to test pre-bronze at this point...I can't even imagine what it's going to be like squeezing in a bronze test. At least there is no maximum age!!!! Hmmm I have a better chance of competing at the MD Senior Olympics at this rate LOL!

vesperholly
01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I wish I was a II! I'm stuck in I through next year. However, this gives me one more year to reach my goal of competing in Gold I. :mrgreen:

I signed up for:

Silver Solo Dance
Masters I LE/C (what was I thinking?! I've never done an interp in my life!)

I'll be staying with relatives who live in the area, but plan on lots of rink silliness! :D

pedonskates
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm doing Masters Intermediate/Novice II. I don't become a III for a couple of years, I think.
I'm also doing A/D (new for me) and LE/Comedy Masters Interp II.
Doing Champ Masters Intermediate/Novice at PCAS. My goal for that is to not rechoreograph my program during the event.

sexyskates
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm doing:
Silver Ladies Freestyle 3
Interp 3 A/D
Interp 3 L/C
Bronze Solo Dance

This is my 10th AN!

Mel On Ice
01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
my 5th as a competitor, and 8th as a participant (two as volunteer/spectator and one as a co-chair)

coskater64
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I am a solid 3 for age, (sigh).

I will be doing champ int/nov at mids and champ dance.
At ANs I will be doing gold solo dance and int ladies 3 fs, no artistic for me as I have only enough memory for free dance, compulsory dances, and free skate.

At the very least it should be fun!:D

This is my 7th ANs and sectionals!

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I wish I was a II! I'm stuck in I through next year. However, this gives me one more year to reach my goal of competing in Gold I. :mrgreen:

I signed up for:

Silver Solo Dance
Masters I LE/C (what was I thinking?! I've never done an interp in my life!)

I've never done LE/C, so we're in the same boat for that one. (OMG did I just say that? No on a boat jokes intended!!!) I'm going to start working on it after Wyandotte and compete it at Easterns, I'm so afraid I'll feel stupid or silly practicing it. Noelle is with us for interp and dance too, and I'm sure Julie P is doing a LE/C interp (she always does), so it'll be all sorts of fun. I just hope I don't have another event scheduled close to LE/C so that I have enough time to do my hair/make-up right.

Is this my 4th ANs already!? Wow, time flies.

flying~camel
01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
This is my 4th ANs as a competitor (I previously competed in 06, 07 & 08) and my 5th as a participant (I was an LOC co-chair in 09).

daisies
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm going on AN #16! I think there are about 7 of us who've done 'em all.

manleywoman
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm doing Open Masters Junior II, and if all goes well at Sectionals, perhaps a Championship event as well.

Lessee . . . I think this is my 11th Nationals.

rlichtefeld
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
The tentative outline schedule is out:

http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/schedule.htm

Looks like I'm skating Wednesday afternoon (Silver Men III) and Friday afternoon (Silver Pairs)

Rob

flying~camel
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
At this point, I'm skating on Friday (Interp I A/D) and Saturday (Interp I LE/C).

coskater64
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I get to skate on Thursday (x2) open int 3 fs, gold solo dance
friday, cd for champ dance
saturday free dance and if everyone in mids int/nov withdraws champ int/nov.:twisted:

Not counting on that as strangely I still have no jumps! Oh well!!:lol::lol:

sexyskates
03-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Weee! I'm skating every day!

RachelSk8er
03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
I basically have the same schedule as last year, plus one more event on Saturday:

Silver I free--Weds (probably mid-morning to early afternoon)
Masters I A/D interp--Weds late afternoon/evening
Silver solo dance--Thursday (2 rounds)
Saturday--Masters I LE/C interp

Stormy
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
One and done!! Gold II free on Thursday. :)

RachelSk8er
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
One and done!! Gold II free on Thursday. :)

Thursday night=FIVE GUYS!!!!!! Nom nom nom nom nom. Anyone who wants to join Stormy and I for our ceremonial "YAY FREE SKATE IS DONE!" pig out is welcome to join us. (Yes, we plan these things in advance. It's important.)

Ha ha I just thought of last year when we inhaled that Steak N Shake. I think that was the only time all week certain people were quiet!!!

rlichtefeld
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
The schedule with TIMES is up.

http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/schedule.htm

Rob

flying~camel
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Interesting group sizes this year...

According to this schedule I compete on Friday at 9:25am (Interp I A/D) and Saturday at 4:55pm (Interp I LE/C).

RachelSk8er
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Holy crap, 13 of us in masters A/D I (compared to 6 the past 2 years). I figured I might as well just throw last year's program out there while I'm there (don't usually really care how I place for interp, it's more for the experience in dealing with competition nerves since I've only been competing individually since '08 ANs)...looks like I'd better actually practice and put in some effort this time around, though! A few of those will probably scratch, I belive a few of the people who I know signed up were only going to ANs if they qualified for the champ event and they didn't.

Terri C
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
While I'm not attending this year, I was curious about something.
Last year at AN '09, Jazzpants and I were among the 19 Bronze III ladies and there were QR's for that.
This year, with 23 Bronze III ladies, there is only one group. Why is that?

vesperholly
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, the group sizes are quite large!! 13 in Silver Solo Dance (only one group this year) and 9 in Masters LE/C I. 8O

I think the schedule still needs some tweaking. Bronze Men are screwed up (they grouped I with IV and V) and the Gold Ladies II warmup is about 12 hours before the event start time. Er...

Debbie S
03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
This year, with 23 Bronze III ladies, there is only one group. Why is that?8O I thought there was a rule that 18 or more entrants required a QR. I know the rule is no longer in place for IJS events, but I thought it was still in effect for 6.0 events.

NoVa Sk8r
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
See page 27, rule 3276, and page 28, rule 3291:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/Rules%20of%20Sport.pdf

Looks like 24 is the new number, as it is underlined in the text. Makes more sense for IJS events, so bless the judges for being able to rank 6 additional skaters in an ordinal system!

Stormy
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I did e-mail the LOC about the Gold II ladies warmup/event times. I'm sure that will be fixed, that had to have been an oversight.

MusicSkateFan
03-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Looks like 24 is the new number, as it is underlined in the text. Makes more sense for IJS events, so bless the judges for being able to rank 6 additional skaters in an ordinal system!

:twisted:Very difficult to rank which Bronze lady had the best toe waltz indeed!:roll:

BTW Why are the Bronze men listed as "Mens Bronze" All the other events put the category 1st "Silver Ladies I" etc.

Just being an A$$!

Terri C
03-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Ahh...so they were just one short.

Stormy
03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, then. This is the response I received about the Gold II ladies warm up being at 6:45 AM and the event at 7:05 PM.

"We will have ice on the 3rd rink all day for practices. The referee is trying to work around 234 skaters who are signed up for multiple events. I'm sure he did the vbest he could, but better having a warm up at an inopportune time, than 2 events at the same time. The practice ice schedule wil be online soon. Brenda"

What I get out of that is, too bad your official warm up and event is 12 hours apart, get on some random practice ice during the day with 20 other skaters of different levels. The Gold I ladies warm up is 6:30 AM and their event is 9:30 AM. That seems way more appropriate. I'm not usually one to get all complain-y about this type of thing, but that really seems unfair to the Gold II ladies. I KNOW AN is tough to schedule. But I truly figured that had to have been a mistake to schedule an official warm up and an event 12 hours apart.

RachelSk8er
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Solo dances are obnoxiously spaced out again, too.

Seriously, why can't we just do both rounds back-to-back and get it all over with?? With the number of skaters at every level, there is plenty of time to change costumes if people so desire. Couples dances at every level do 2 dances back to back, I'd think solo dancers are capable of doing so as well.

I'd rather not know my placement in the first round and then have 6 hrs to sit around and think about the second round. Although in retrospect, this did work in my favor last year, I was pissed off after being screwed with my placement in the first round, even more pissed when someone showed up with the same damn dress as me for the second round knowing well in advance I was wearing that dress (bought it after seeing pics of me in it). So I channeled that anger into a nicely expressed tango and looked much better in said dress than the other skater and won myself a silver medal. Pissed off doesn't fit the American Waltz as well, so let's hope I can be calm and collected after the first round, but not so calm and collected that I want to fall asleep doing the American (most god awful boring dance to solo for this level).

flying~camel
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM
What I get out of that is, too bad your official warm up and event is 12 hours apart, get on some random practice ice during the day with 20 other skaters of different levels.

They shouldn't even call it a warm-up since it's more-or-less just a 20-minute morning practice at that point. :roll:

Mel On Ice
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
:twisted:Very difficult to rank which Bronze lady had the best toe waltz indeed!:roll:

don't know what level skater you are, but there's no need to be rude about the bronze ladies abilities, we are working just as hard as you are.

doubletoe
03-16-2010, 06:30 PM

How can anyone possibly keep that many skaters straight and rank them accurately? Poor judges. . . and skaters.

doubletoe
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Well, then. This is the response I received about the Gold II ladies warm up being at 6:45 AM and the event at 7:05 PM.

"We will have ice on the 3rd rink all day for practices. The referee is trying to work around 234 skaters who are signed up for multiple events. I'm sure he did the vbest he could, but better having a warm up at an inopportune time, than 2 events at the same time. The practice ice schedule wil be online soon. Brenda"

I'm sure he did the best he could, too, but that's a lot of events to schedule and anyone can overlook something. It certainly would have been nice to actually ask the referee rather than just assuming . . . I guess the only consolation is that Gold II isn't being split into two groups so at least everyone has the same disadvantage.

They shouldn't even call it a warm-up since it's more-or-less just a 20-minute morning practice at that point. :roll:

Make that 15 minutes!

vesperholly
03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Agreed that the solo dances are way too spaced apart. It's not like we're skating a demanding 2-minute freestyle program, it's a 30-second dance FFS. That just gives the photo/video people more fodder for justifying billing us twice, too :P

jazzpants
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
:twisted:Very difficult to rank which Bronze lady had the best toe waltz indeed!:roll: Now now, MSF!!! Play nice!!! And you can't tell me that you never toe waltzed before either. :twisted:

Besides, if you want to believe my coaches, my toe waltz/loop problem is getting fixed!!! :halo:

BTW Why are the Bronze men listed as "Mens Bronze" All the other events put the category 1st "Silver Ladies I" etc. Probably don't have enough Bronze Men skaters in any particular age group to make a separate Bronze Men event, so they probably combined all the Bronze Men in one group! (And you wonder why I wish there were more MEN in figure skating?)

Just being an A$$!And you're darn good at it too!!! :twisted: :lol:

flutzilla1
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
don't know what level skater you are, but there's no need to be rude about the bronze ladies abilities, we are working just as hard as you are.

What Mel said.

w.w.west
03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
:twisted:

Just being an A$$!

Now that is something that I will agree with you on.

Debbie S
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I think MSF has probably forgotten his days (not too long ago) as a Bronze skater.....when he fell on a salchow in comp and needed 2 tries to pass his Bronze FS. Now that he's become Silver (ooooh, how special :roll:), he's obviously decided that gives him license to show up every once in a while on this board to offend and insult just about everyone, including last year's Champ Gold Men's winner.

Or maybe he's just been around his middle school students too long and thinks this is a good way to get attention.

Either way, I say let's not feed the troll. :twisted:

SkaterBird
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Mel, don't waste your valuable time and thoughts on a twit. Those with real talent support and encourage others, as you do. Those who are bent on tearing others down . . . well, about them, the less said the better. This guy cannot even stand in your shadow when it comes to speaking about other skaters - you bring value to the sport by sharing honest support and constructive thoughts with lower-level skaters, while this guy evidently just takes cheap shots. He isn't worthy of your time.

Mimi

RachelSk8er
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

I think we need to place bets on whether Stormy actually gets out of bed at that ungodly hour to go to her "warmup." I'm putting my money on no. :)

I thought there were actual rules on the maximum amount of time that can be in between your official warmup and your competition event start time? (Or maybe that doesn't apply to open events or to adult nationals at all.)

Skittl1321
03-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I thought there were actual rules on the maximum amount of time that can be in between your official warmup and your competition event start time? (Or maybe that doesn't apply to open events or to adult nationals at all.)

I thought that rule only applied to the 6-minute warm up during the competition for each group. Or does Adult Nationals not do those warm ups at all- and just the 15 minute one being discussed here?

The rule book says "3522 A warm-up period must immediately precede a competitive skating group. In case of interruption in the competition due to unforeseen circumstances of more than 10 minutes, the skaters concerned will be permitted a second warm-up period of six minutes in the case of
singles or pairs, or four minutes in the case of compulsory dance, or five minutes in the case of original dance or free dance."

There is also a guideline in the "Guide for Test Chair"- but it doesn't appear in the rulebooks, and only applies to tests: "A 5 - 8 minute warm-up period should precede moves tests. It is probably okay to warm-up a variation of levels (i.e., pre-preliminary to juvenile, but not to intermediate or higher, etc.).
Each skater should have to wait NO MORE THAN 30 Minutes to test following the warmup."

Adult Nationals must be incredibly difficult to schedule- since skaters do so many different events. There are usually only a small number of skaters who do that at Nationals, and a slightly larger, but still small number at Junior Nationals.

Stormy
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I won't be on that warm up. I don't skate well that early. However, we're going to have to get up anyways to get our roomie to her warm up, which was right before mine anyways.

It irked me more the fact she wouldn't even ask the ref if it was a mistake, she just brushed it off. I know she's busy since she just came back from Junior Worlds with her daughter and probably has 14598716 e-mails about the schedule. But it's not just an "inopportune time" for a warm up....they're 12 hours apart, as the mom of an international skater, she should realize how that is a problem.

sk8er1964
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I thought that rule only applied to the 6-minute warm up during the competition for each group. Or does Adult Nationals not do those warm ups at all- and just the 15 minute one being discussed here?

There's the "official warm up" earlier in the day, which is more like a practice ice, then the six minute warm up right before you compete.

Skittl1321
03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
There's the "official warm up" earlier in the day, which is more like a practice ice, then the six minute warm up right before you compete.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Due to my inability to stay uninjured long enough to prepare for a test, if I make it to nationals this year (it's not too far) it will just be as a spectator.

flying~camel
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I noticed that the schedule on the event web site isn't coming up anymore.

I wonder if they took it down to make some changes and stop the complaints...

sk8er1964
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks. That makes sense.

Due to my inability to stay uninjured long enough to prepare for a test, if I make it to nationals this year (it's not too far) it will just be as a spectator.

You should try to go. The atmosphere at AN is something special.

RachelSk8er
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I won't be on that warm up. I don't skate well that early. However, we're going to have to get up anyways to get our roomie to her warm up, which was right before mine anyways.

We?

No, just kidding, we'll roll out of bed, take her, then find coffee.

vesperholly
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I was pretty surprised when I first went to ANs with these "official warm-up" things. It's nice that it's basically a free practice session, but wouldn't it be easier to just ditch the official warm-up altogether and offer a whole bunch of practice sessions? That way you could pick when or if you even wanted to warm up, and the referee wouldn't have to take official warm-ups into account for schedule conflicts.

Making these schedules sounds HARD! :giveup:

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2010, 06:32 AM
You should try to go. The atmosphere at AN is something special.

Definitely seconded, and I'm not even American!

Stormy
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I was pretty surprised when I first went to ANs with these "official warm-up" things. It's nice that it's basically a free practice session, but wouldn't it be easier to just ditch the official warm-up altogether and offer a whole bunch of practice sessions? That way you could pick when or if you even wanted to warm up, and the referee wouldn't have to take official warm-ups into account for schedule conflicts.

Making these schedules sounds HARD! :giveup:

The best thing about official warm ups is that you are with your own group and own level. I mean, I have no problems being on a practice session with all levels, but sometimes it's nice to just be on a session with all your own level. And if you're in a smaller group, you're guaranteed a session that's not crowded. They're not always free either, IIRC you had to pay for them at Easterns.

Stormy
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
We?

No, just kidding, we'll roll out of bed, take her, then find coffee.

Hahaha, I almost said "I'LL" have to take her. :) Mmmmmmm.....coffee.

RachelSk8er
03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
The best thing about official warm ups is that you are with your own group and own level. I mean, I have no problems being on a practice session with all levels, but sometimes it's nice to just be on a session with all your own level. And if you're in a smaller group, you're guaranteed a session that's not crowded. They're not always free either, IIRC you had to pay for them at Easterns.

Except sometimes it can work against you. Like our Silver I group at ANs last year, where we pretty much kept watching each other out of the corner of our eyes the whole practice thinking "damn we're a really good group" (which we knew coming in) and trying to see who was and wasn't landing their axels. Then we all got psyched out and no one really skated their best when it came time to compete. But we were probably the most fun group ever, we had all the cool people.

Hahaha, I almost said "I'LL" have to take her. Mmmmmmm.....coffee.

Looks like we will not have to forego Sbux like at Easterns. Life is good. Although we did have Waffle House, so that made Easterns OK.

flying~camel
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
They're not always free either, IIRC you had to pay for them at Easterns.

We had to pay for them in Dallas at AN 06, too. :??

rlichtefeld
03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
The schedule has been updated. Seems to fix the 12 hours between Gold Ladies WU and events.

Rob

vesperholly
03-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Except sometimes it can work against you. Like our Silver I group at ANs last year, where we pretty much kept watching each other out of the corner of our eyes the whole practice thinking "damn we're a really good group" (which we knew coming in) and trying to see who was and wasn't landing their axels. Then we all got psyched out and no one really skated their best when it came time to compete. But we were probably the most fun group ever, we had all the cool people.

OMG I know, that was crazy, and the actual competition ended up being all kinds of bizarre. :??

Glad they fixed the Gold Ladies II warm-up.

Stormy
03-19-2010, 07:59 PM
The schedule has been updated. Seems to fix the 12 hours between Gold Ladies WU and events.

Rob

:?: The one I see still shows the same for the Gold II ladies. Warm up at 6:45 AM and event at 7:05 PM. Or am I reading it wrong?

flying~camel
04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Bumping this up now that we're a little over a week out :)

Stormy
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Any updated word on the practice ice? I keep hearing any day now and that started well over a week ago.

flying~camel
04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
That's all I've been hearing, too. :??

At this point, I think I'm just going to wait until I get there to buy practice ice.

starskate6.0
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Good luck to all the gold mens this year . Maybe Ill make it next year to skate with you all again. :D

flying~camel
04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Practice Ice is up now:

http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/practiceice/practiceiceschedule.htm

It's a pretty confusing system and I find it interesting that they're charging $5 for official warm-ups...

I'm probably just going to wait until I get there to buy ice (like I usually do, LOL).

flo
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Did mine. Hope it went through. Not too encouraged as the sessions I paid for are still listed as available.

saras
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Did mine. Hope it went through. Not too encouraged as the sessions I paid for are still listed as available.

why I seemed to be the "first" skater buying ice on every session I picked - (based on my guess of their numbering system...)

I couldn't find out how to sign up for and pay for official warm up sessions (the $5 ones) but I'll sort that out when I get there.

sexyskates
04-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I just signed up also, and it said my request for practice ice on Tuesday was successful. However, I didn't put in a paypal reference number - I'm not registered with paypal yet. Also, I thought in years past, everyone just goes to the competititors party. I tried to register without the paypal, but I didn't see another way - I'd like to send a check.

flo
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
One of my pairs sessions just popped up "unavailable". Hopefully my other one as well as my partner's sessions will show up unavailable soon.

ETA - other one popped up unavailable as well.

vesperholly
04-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I just signed up also, and it said my request for practice ice on Tuesday was successful. However, I didn't put in a paypal reference number - I'm not registered with paypal yet. Also, I thought in years past, everyone just goes to the competititors party. I tried to register without the paypal, but I didn't see another way - I'd like to send a check.

Last year I think you could pay at the competitor's party, but there was definitely a charge to attend and you could pay ahead (I did). Maybe email the LOC and let them know you'll be sending a check?

icerinque
04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Click on this link: http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/practiceice/practiceiceschedule.htm

The page that comes up will have boxes on it where you will type in the ID number of your practice ice session(s)

1. Enter your first name
2. Enter your last name
3. Enter your email
4. Enter your phone #
5. Review the list on the left (all are links)
6. Choose the level(s) most appropriate for your skating level (your exact level may not listed)
a. A window will pop up with a list of dates and times
7. Scroll through the list and choose the day of the week and time(s) you want for practice ice
a. (some days/times may be listed more than once)
8. Each practice session has an individual ID number for each slot available
9. Choose the ID numbers you want
10. Return to the web site page with the boxes and your name, email, etc.
11. Fill in the ID numbers in the boxes
12. Click on the PAYPAL logo near the SUBMIT button
13. PayPal will open in a separate window
14. Sign in and pay – MAKE SURE THE AMOUNT YOU MUST PAY IS CORRECT
15. When you have completed the PayPal transaction you will have a transaction number
16. PRINT YOUR PAYPAL RECEIPT
17. Return to the AN 2010 web site and enter the transaction number
18. Click SUBMIT

This info is also on FB if you are on that site: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=96048587244&topic=15179

The LOC is working on the errors in the practice ice sign up.

flying~camel
04-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Last year I think you could pay at the competitor's party, but there was definitely a charge to attend and you could pay ahead (I did). Maybe email the LOC and let them know you'll be sending a check?

We only charged non-competitors/officials/coaches for the party last year. :)

At this point, I'm not planning on going to the party. $25 is a bit steep for appetizers and dancing, IMHO.

Stormy
04-05-2010, 07:26 AM
At this point, I'm not planning on going to the party. $25 is a bit steep for appetizers and dancing, IMHO.

I thought it was a bit steep as well. How much was practice ice last year? $20 for 25 minutes seemed excessive too, and then they charge for the warm ups.

The way the LOC at Easterns did the practice ice was really neat. I liked being able to see every available session in order and who was already on them. That way too you knew right away which sessions were closer to full and which weren't. The way Bloomington is doing it is really confusing, you have to look in multiple places for your available ice times. I just hope this dosen't turn into a big problem for the LOC. They seem to be making it harder for themselves and for us.

pedonskates
04-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Pacific Coasts used "Entryeeze" which is a pretty cool computer program for the non-qual competition. You pre-paid for practice ice based on number of events entered and could pre-pay for programs. The individual skater's schedule got sent to the skater as well as a designated coach.
There was a little confusion about practice for qualifying events, but they fixed it quickly.
How late is the party if the champ masters ladies don't even end until 9:30 pm on Saturday???

flying~camel
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I thought it was a bit steep as well. How much was practice ice last year? $20 for 25 minutes seemed excessive too, and then they charge for the warm ups.

We charged $10 for 20 mins (I think) last year.

rlichtefeld
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM

There are several of us thinking of doing the same thing about the party. $25 does seem a bit steep. Especially on top of the practice ice and warm up ice pricing.

Rob

RachelSk8er
04-05-2010, 11:16 AM
There are several of us thinking of doing the same thing about the party. $25 does seem a bit steep. Especially on top of the practice ice and warm up ice pricing.

Rob

Yeah, that's a lot. I'm not really into the whole social dance thing, but I'd rather spend the money to go to that and skate instead of go to the after party. I'm usually tired/cranky by Saturday night and just want to relax anyway.

Stormy
04-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Rob

Should we see if there's another bar/restaurant/hang out spot nearby that we could all congregate at? I'd like to do something afterwards with friends....I just don't want to have to pay $25 to do it, and then on top of that pay for food/drinks. :)

Stormy
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
We charged $10 for 20 mins (I think) last year.

That's much more reasonable. I can't help but wonder if they're losing money on this elsewhere and have to make up for it by charging so much for practice ice? If you're in multiple events that you need practice ice for, $20 a pop adds up really fast. A friend of mine already dropped $120 on practice ice. :giveup:

vesperholly
04-05-2010, 02:03 PM

D'oh! My mistake :)

Should we see if there's another bar/restaurant/hang out spot nearby that we could all congregate at? I'd like to do something afterwards with friends....I just don't want to have to pay $25 to do it, and then on top of that pay for food/drinks. :)

Aww, don't tell me that none of my favorite people are going to show up to the competitor's party after I already paid for it! :(

flo
04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
We decided to stay home and practice here as long as possible and get there just a day or so ahead of time. The practice ice is usually over crowed and over priced and not worth it. The only place where I spend the week now is Lake Placid.

doubletoe
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
FYI, I inquired about how to reserve and pay for official $5.00 warmup ice and was told that they had decided to have everyone do that once we get to Bloomington. Probably a good idea considering how complicated they have made this process. . .

flying~camel
04-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Good idea! I know the West MI group would be in! :D

RachelSk8er
04-05-2010, 05:22 PM

And with that most wonderful group, what more do you need!? I'm so in.

techskater
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM

I am discussing with one of my moles in the M/SP area for an alternate venue. I won't mention names as to not incriminate the guilty for "stealing money" from BFSC

RachelSk8er
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I am discussing with one of my moles in the M/SP area for an alternate venue. I won't mention names as to not incriminate the guilty for "stealing money" from BFSC

I think at $20 for 25 min practices and $5 for our warm-up, they're getting plenty of all of our money. Especially from those of us who are insane and decide that competing 4 events is a good idea.

techskater
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
that is the perception of some folks in BFSC, unfortunately according to some sources.

I included you on the FB message, Rachel

RachelSk8er
04-06-2010, 07:59 AM
that is the perception of some folks in BFSC, unfortunately according to some sources.

I included you on the FB message, Rachel

I gotz it!

(I've been having strong urges to type everything in lolcats speak lately.)

At least Stormy, Rochelle and I got a sweet deal on our hotel, so it eases some of the pain of practice ice/warmup cost. I keep forgetting that we already paid for the hotel and everything, so it's less to worry about when we're checking out.

Stormy
04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I gotz it!

(I've been having strong urges to type everything in lolcats speak lately.)

At least Stormy, Rochelle and I got a sweet deal on our hotel, so it eases some of the pain of practice ice/warmup cost. I keep forgetting that we already paid for the hotel and everything, so it's less to worry about when we're checking out.

LOLcats FTW!

RachelSk8er
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
LOLcats FTW!

ZOMG!

My purple/red dress (this one) that I'm wearing for the American was all like "I can haz evun mor stonez?"

http://www.synchronizedskatingmag.com/2008/Easterns/JRF-Lexettes-(7).jpg

And 1 gross more later it's like "Mor bling, I gotz it!" Because more stones make me skate better. It's a proven theory. I added more and more stones to my tango dress between every competition last year, and by ANs it was the best skate all year. That obviously has nothing to do with practice, it's all about the stones. :)

Damn this dress is pretty, if I do say so myself.

harmony
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I know I haven't been around much (or at all) this year, but I'll miss being with you guys next week. I definitely want lots of updates! Hopefully I can join in next year as a Silver 1 lady. =)

Stormy
04-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I know I haven't been around much (or at all) this year, but I'll miss being with you guys next week. I definitely want lots of updates! Hopefully I can join in next year as a Silver 1 lady. =)

I'll be posting on Facebook as much as I can. It will not be the same without you! I'm sad you won't be there. :cry:

manleywoman
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I think at $20 for 25 min practices and $5 for our warm-up, they're getting plenty of all of our money. Especially from those of us who are insane and decide that competing 4 events is a good idea.

I think last year it was $12 for a half-hour practice? $20 is a lot.

I only signed up for one. Personally, I never do a lot of PI at ANs. For me, I just don't need it. If I don't know the program and elements before I get there, no last-minute practice is going to help me, LOL! And after doing a lot of PI in my early days at ANs, well before it was really segregated by ability and numbers allowed on the ice, it could get downright dangerous. So I just stopped bothering.

And I'm always puzzled by those who buy insane amounts of PI, like three per day. But I know that some people (a) may not get a lot of ice at home and like the extra time, or (b) enter multiple events with and without partners and need dedicated times to review each event. So I guess they need it.

rlichtefeld
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Damn this dress is pretty, if I do say so myself.

Blingz iz hotz!

Clarice
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I think last year it was $12 for a half-hour practice? $20 is a lot.

I only signed up for one. Personally, I never do a lot of PI at ANs. For me, I just don't need it. If I don't know the program and elements before I get there, no last-minute practice is going to help me, LOL! And after doing a lot of PI in my early days at ANs, well before it was really segregated by ability and numbers allowed on the ice, it could get downright dangerous. So I just stopped bothering.

And I'm always puzzled by those who buy insane amounts of PI, like three per day. But I know that some people (a) may not get a lot of ice at home and like the extra time, or (b) enter multiple events with and without partners and need dedicated times to review each event. So I guess they need it.

That's exactly my problem this year. I need practice time with my partner - we live 2 hours apart, and so don't get as much as we wish. And my rink is closed for the two weeks prior to ANS, so I need time to review my solo events, too. I did buy way more practice ice this year than I normally do because of all this, and I'm not very happy about it.

daisies
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't sign up for much PI either. I just use it to get used to the ice and my surroundings and, if the official WU isn't feasible, to warm up for my event(s).

I'm really beside myself over the way all this is being run. On top of the confusing way PI was set up, there are so many errors contained within -- which have been brought to the LOC's attention -- and none of the errors has been fixed. For instance:

1) The second listing of "Gold/Master Men Free Style" is actually, when you click on it, "Gold/Master Solo Dance" ... never mind the fact that there's no such thing as Master Solo Dance.

2) Under Master Free Style, there's a session on Thursday on Rink 2 that's listed as 10:50-10:15am. Apparently the FSC of Bloomington has the ability to travel backward in time! (If anyone cares, the session is supposed to be listed as 10:50-11:15am.)

3) As we all know, they've told us we must sign up and pay for warmup ice, yet there's no mechanism online to do that. Many have inquired about it, including myself, and we've received replies that the sign-up and payment will be handled at the competition. Great! Did they fix what it says online? No. It still says you must sign up and pay online and still doesn't allow you to do that, spreading the confusion even farther than it needs to go.

I fully understand these are volunteers, but they committed to host the event (and have had over a year to plan) and we are spending A LOT of money to attend. They also should have informed us of the PI and WU prices a long time ago and not sprung it on us in the last week. Not cool.

doubletoe
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
^ Agree 100%. I think the USFSA Adult Skating Committee should set a price limit on A.N. practice ice and warmup ice. With 15 skaters paying $20 each for each 25 minute session, they are raking in $720 per hour for that ice time. With prices like that, I'm sure a California rink could afford to bid! :roll:

RachelSk8er
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't really sign up for a lot of practice either (1 FS and 1 dance on Tues, that's it so far). I like to relax after I travel, especially when my FS has been the first event on Weds for 3 yrs in a row now. If I don't have it when I get to ANs, practice ice won't help. Except for my LE/C interp Sat that I don't have a lot of time to work on, I figured I could get time in on Friday since I'm free all day.

I also hate how they split practices, it leaves some of us kind of in limbo. I get the reasoning behind it, that way champ masters jr/sr ladies aren't running down bronze VI FS skaters. But what do you do with the dancers who are high enough to compete masters interp, but don't compete/test freestyle at all, or are lower in FS? I can think of 5 of us off the top of my head, I know there are more. Do we sign up for practices according to our FS level, or can we get on gold/masters sessions to practice interps by virtue of our interp level? (Will they even notice? I'm guessing not. I didn't even bother to ask, I figure they're so bombarded with email and the last thing we need is another snippy response to post on here.)

Stormy
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't sign up for much PI either. I just use it to get used to the ice and my surroundings and, if the official WU isn't feasible, to warm up for my event(s).

I'm really beside myself over the way all this is being run. On top of the confusing way PI was set up, there are so many errors contained within -- which have been brought to the LOC's attention -- and none of the errors have been fixed. For instance:

1) The second listing of "Gold/Master Men Free Style" is actually, when you click on it, "Gold/Master Solo Dance" ... never mind the fact that there's no such thing as Master Solo Dance.

2) Under Master Free Style, there's a session on Thursday on Rink 2 that's listed as 10:50-10:15am. Apparently the FSC of Bloomington has the ability to travel backward in time! (If anyone cares, the session is supposed to be listed at 10:50-11:15am.)

3) As we all know, they've told us we my sign up and pay for warmup ice, yet there's no mechanism online to do that. Many have inquired about it, including myself, and we've received replies that the sign-up and payment will be handled at the competition. Great! Did they fix what it says online? No. It still says you must sign up and pay online and still doesn't allow you to do that, spreading the confusion even farther than it needs to go.

I fully understand these are volunteers, but they committed to host the event (and have had over a year to plan) and we are spending A LOT of money to attend. They also should have informed us of the PI and WU prices a long time ago and not sprung it on us in the last week. Not cool.

I am with you 100%. What bothers me is I feel we're being brushed off. When I nicely and politely e-mailed about the fact my warm up and event were 12 hours apart, the response was brusque and basically told me to deal with it. This was from Brenda Baga, and whereas I know she'd just gotten home from Junior Worlds, I can't help but feel that if it was her daughter in the same position she'd feel differently. ANs is a huge undertaking, I know that, I've helped run one. But don't take it on if you're not prepared to do it the right way. This practice ice debacle is not doing it the right way. Plus, they'd be saving themselves a ton of work (and us a lot of aggravation) if they'd allow people to pay for their warm up online. Now you're going to have who knows how many people standing in line to pay for their WU when they get there.

I'm not sure how many adult skaters BFSC has, but sometimes I think ANs should only be given to a club with a good adult contingent. Last year was a great example of well ANs can be run when you have adult skaters who have not only attended ANs before, but know how it should be run and what we want out of it. I know this idea may not always be feasible, considering that there are never a ton of clubs fighting over who gets to host ANs. I just wish it was a consideration (or is it??)

Skittl1321
04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
With 15 skaters paying $20 each for each 25 minute session, they are raking in $720 per hour for that ice time.

I haven't been to an AN, but have read threads for the past few years with great interest. Is practice ice usually under attended? It certainly sounds like lots of people plan to skip it at this price, but do they skip it at any price?

Maybe the price was set with the fear that the sessions wouldn't fill, and they'd be stuck with the bill- because you're right, if the session is full, that's a lot of money.

doubletoe
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I haven't been to an AN, but have read threads for the past few years with great interest. Is practice ice usually under attended? It certainly sounds like lots of people plan to skip it at this price, but do they skip it at any price?

Maybe the price was set with the fear that the sessions wouldn't fill, and they'd be stuck with the bill- because you're right, if the session is full, that's a lot of money.

All I know is that we have never been charged such an exhorbitant amount before.

vesperholly
04-06-2010, 03:31 PM

I've only been to two ANs, but the practice ice I've skated on has always been medium/full to crowded. I usually buy several sessions, because the week before ANs is either spring vacation and my club has no ice, or there's a hockey tournament and all ice is canceled. :(

Stormy
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Hate to say it, but sorry, too bad if that was their thinking. They're pissing a lot of people off with that price. That's nuts. Even if all the sessions were half full, that's still $360 an hour they're getting. I don't know how much their ice time is, but I'd think it's below $360 an hour. /rant that wasn't directed at you, Jessi. Just in general. :)

mr7740
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
It seems that the FSC of Bloomington is really looking at this more as a potential fundraiser for their club and not as an event for adult skaters. I mean we received an email about a blanket for sale...another email that included information about a night at Baker's Square that is a fundraiser for their club during AN (something i would likely consider a good idea if it weren't for everything else)...and no emails with details about things we really care about.

Add that to the $20 practice ice, $5 warm ups, $25 competitor's party...clearly they see the adult skating community as a cash cow. Yet for that price we should be getting an easy to navigate, error-free practice ice reservation system, which makes it all the more frustrating.

phoenix
04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Let's just hope this whole thing isn't setting a precedent for future ANs!!

Terri C
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm sincerely hoping that any future LOC's for AN is paying particular attention to this! I'm glad I'm not going this year.

Clarice
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm sad there doesn't seem to be a charity tie-in this year. That was a cool thing the Grand Rapids folks did last year, and I was kind of hoping it would become a new ANs tradition.

daisies
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
It seems that the FSC of Bloomington is really looking at this more as a potential fundraiser for their club and not as an event for adult skaters. I mean we received an email about a blanket for sale...another email that included information about a night at Baker's Square that is a fundraiser for their club during AN (something i would likely consider a good idea if it weren't for everything else)...and no emails with details about things we really care about.

Add that to the $20 practice ice, $5 warm ups, $25 competitor's party...clearly they see the adult skating community as a cash cow. Yet for that price we should be getting an easy to navigate, error-free practice ice reservation system, which makes it all the more frustrating.
THIS. Exactly.

We have to make sure it does NOT become precedent. We have to really let it be known it's unacceptable.

flo
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
If the club wants to try AN as a fundraiser, fine but be prepared to answer the questions and pay out for low attended sessions. I've been to all the AN's and this is the most I've paid for ice, and the least amount of Ice I've purchased. I've never had to pay for warm up ice.

manleywoman
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Alll this just makes me appreciate more those who run adult events well, like GR last year and Mids this year.

vesperholly
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Competitions as fundraisers is basically why my club has hosted Regionals so many times (and won't consider any other events, which ticks me off as we have a fantastic 4-sheet rink). It makes them a giant pile of money every time.

GR really was run so well, and with the LOC they had, I knew it would be. Being only my 2nd ANs and the first that I stayed the whole week, I didn't realize how good we had it!

flo
04-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't mind if the club makes some money in the process, but keep the fees reasonable and consistient with the other AN events. With this ecomomy it's not exactly the right time to overcharge when not necessary.

flying~camel
04-07-2010, 06:51 AM
When we hosted AN last year, the main reason was to make money for the club (which we did).

We were able to keep costs down by doing a good amount of price comparison on everything we had to buy/spend money on and also tried to support as much local business as possible.

It helped that the 4 of us who co-chaired were (are) all adult skaters who have attended numerous ANs, so we knew what types of things we would want as competitors.

RachelSk8er
04-07-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm bringing my roller derby skates because the boots need to get broken in before our next bout on May 8 (got new boots but since I'm taking the plates off the old ones, I don't have an old pair to switch back to if my feet hurt). Right now the plates are being put on and I pick them up from my skate shop Saturday.

Sooo....if I win a medal, I'm going to celebrate by roller skating around the arena in my Snuggie. Hells yeah.

jazzpants
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
^ Agree 100%. I think the USFSA Adult Skating Committee should set a price limit on A.N. practice ice and warmup ice. With 15 skaters paying $20 each for each 25 minute session, they are raking in $720 per hour for that ice time. With prices like that, I'm sure a California rink could afford to bid! :roll: And still make a nice tidy profit in the process!!! :twisted: Of course, I'm not holding my breath for AN to be anywhere within the Pacific Sectionals for next year... though there's definitely a push for it. (I still vote for Vegas... but ask me again after Memorial Day... :P ETA: Lakewood is right near Disneyland. Hmmmm.... I know DH can live with that one too!!! :twisted: )

Back to the topic.... GEEZ!!! I'm glad I'm not doing AN this year!!! 8O

Last year's AN at GR (along with Lake Placid the previous year) were both VERY well run, though I still give the slight advantage nod to GR, but only b/c of the wasp nest over the 1980 rink at LP... 8O )

GO SNUGGIE POWER!!!! :P

pairman2
04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Speaking of well run AN's, Chicago was also run very well and Dallas, even though they had huge problems with the competition rinks, at least there were plenty of other rinks close by at hand, and even shuttles I believe, to accommodate all of practice ice needed. So figuring out practice ice isn't exactly new technology or w/o precedent.

I'm wondering if all these kinds of details are included on the bid????? How about the cost for the practice ice? And then who approves these bids? It would seem like the raw number of available ice hours x sheets of ice (including multiple local facilities) would be the single biggest factor to consider when awarding AN, an yet, so often, this exact issue is cause for crisis.

vesperholly
04-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Last year's AN at GR (along with Lake Placid the previous year) were both VERY well run, though I still give the slight advantage nod to GR, but only b/c of the wasp nest over the 1980 rink at LP... 8O )

Wasp nest? Were people upset that their events were on the 1932 rink, or was it the ice quality of 1980 - I remember hearing it was hard and scratchy because they put the logo down. I was a little disappointed not to skate on THE rink, but the ice was SO good on 1932. :)

Mel On Ice
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I was upset that I didn't get to practice on the '80 rink prior to competition because the logo needed to "set" or something. That is one big, scary rink to go out on without having been on it before. I wish my official warm up had been on that instead of USA.

I loved '32 rink and skated very well on it.

OH! WASP NEST! What Joanna said, we had bugs raining down on us from the speakers. I did a sweep of dead critters before I skated because there was a trail of dead bugs through my footwork sequence. Given my results, I should have left them.

BTW, the snuggie is already packed.

daisies
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Were people upset that their events were on the 1932 rink, or was it the ice quality of 1980 - I remember hearing it was hard and scratchy because they put the logo down. I was a little disappointed not to skate on THE rink, but the ice was SO good on 1932. :)
The ice quality on 1980 was terrible because they decided to give us the logo. We didn't even get to practice on that surface for the first few days because of the freakin' logo. Once we got to skate on it, there were huge ruts and holes in it because of people doing toe jumps. I even had to call the ref of my event over to tell her about the huge ruts in the ice, and she told me to "skate around them." Uh, not exactly what I like to concentrate on when I'm competing, but OK! We told the LOC that, next time, lose the logo and give us good ice!

sexyskates
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I thought the Chicago AN was especially well run, and it was a fun destination too.

jazzpants
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Wasp nest? Were people upset that their events were on the 1932 rink, or was it the ice quality of 1980 - I remember hearing it was hard and scratchy because they put the logo down. I was a little disappointed not to skate on THE rink, but the ice was SO good on 1932. :)
Oh, yes! WASP nest over the 1980 rink! A few dead "bugs" were found on the ice at one of the sides near the boards. Kinda hard to figure Heather Hilgar cringing while she found a dead bee as she was stepping out for her program. She looked like she was gonna cry as she yelled out "I'm ALLERGIC!!!" 8O

1980 was VERY hard the first day b/c they had to make the ice hockey hard to make sure the AN logo paint was set.

That said, I'm so glad I got to do my AN debut on that ice. It was very apropos. (And adding to that, on the SAME ice patch where my now tertiary coach is an Olympic medalist too -- VERY apropos!!! :bow: )

jazzpants
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I thought the Chicago AN was especially well run, and it was a fun destination too.
Yeah, and part of me wished that I had made my AN debut there. (Okay, more Jay than me. He was naggin' me to go, but I wouldn't b/c I had just passed the FS test and was just not mentally ready to go "play with the big girls" (at Bronze.) :lol: )

RachelSk8er
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
The ice quality on 1980 was terrible because they decided to give us the logo. We didn't even get to practice on that surface for the first few days because of the freakin' logo. Once we got to skate on it, there were huge ruts and holes in it because of people doing toe jumps. I even had to call the ref of my event over to tell her about the huge ruts in the ice, and she told me to "skate around them." Uh, not exactly what I like to concentrate on when I'm competing, but OK! We told the LOC that, next time, lose the logo and give us good ice!

80 arena is notorious for shitty ice, it wasn't exclusive to 08 ANs. It's always been awful when I've competed there for synchro, even when they leave hockey lines down. When I was living in NY and coaching synchro and my open junior team competed at state games, and there was a huge hole near one end of the ice and all they did was put down an orange cone over it for the competition. Because when you've got 16 skaters it's easy to maneuver around a cone and all. :roll:

sk8er1964
04-07-2010, 06:44 PM
80 arena is notorious for shitty ice, it wasn't exclusive to 08 ANs. It's always been awful when I've competed there.....

Can I use this as my excuse for seriously sucking in my one and only AN championship event?

:giveup:

Mel On Ice
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I loved Chicago's ANs too! I especially enjoyed continuous hydration and "blame" Pepsi's donation for getting me hooked on vitamin waters.

I had a rip roaring good time there although that was the continuation of my last place with dignity streak. Fun competitor's party with the theme foods too. I love it when we get kicked out of places - KC, Chicago, LP, Burt's room...

flo
04-07-2010, 08:04 PM
My favorite will always be Lake Placid. It's the site of so many national's memories. I'd also like to see it in Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor again. I thought Texas was a mess and in line just above Oakland. I'd also love to see it back in Wilmington or at least the University of Del. What a great start to 16 AN's!

climbsk8
04-07-2010, 08:36 PM
So I try to sign up for 3 practice ice sessions and it charges me $0. I sign up my partner for 3 and he's charged $20. Every time I go back to PayPal site it adds $20, so now it's up to $80!!! For 3 practice sessions. Help!

AgnesNitt
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
When I was living in NY and coaching synchro and my open junior team competed at state games, and there was a huge hole near one end of the ice and all they did was put down an orange cone over it for the competition. Because when you've got 16 skaters it's easy to maneuver around a cone and all. :roll:

Geeze, that would seem to violate some sort of insurance or liability law. I'm surprised they pulled that. I will say from the week I spent at Lake Placid the summer before last, I found the ice crappy every day. I don't mean 'bad' I mean a nasty combination of ruts and stalagmites--and that was immediately after a cut.

NoVa Sk8r
04-08-2010, 12:00 AM
So I try to sign up for 3 practice ice sessions and it charges me $0. I sign up my partner for 3 and he's charged $20. Every time I go back to PayPal site it adds $20, so now it's up to $80!!! For 3 practice sessions. Help!After you click on the PayPal logo and the new screen opens, just change the number in the "Quantity" box to reflect how many sessions you have signed up for. Next, click on "Update cart" and then "Proceed to checkout" to finalize the order and get the PayPal Reference #. Hope this helps and see you in Minnesota!

RachelSk8er
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
I loved Chicago's ANs too! I especially enjoyed continuous hydration and "blame" Pepsi's donation for getting me hooked on vitamin waters.

I had a rip roaring good time there although that was the continuation of my last place with dignity streak. Fun competitor's party with the theme foods too. I love it when we get kicked out of places - KC, Chicago, LP, Burt's room...

I hated Chicago ANs, but it wasn't really the venue or the LOC, it was a combination of being my first ANs and not knowing more than a few people, my god awful old dance partner who made my week and all the weeks of practice leading up to ANs miserable (highlight being when he was pissed that we finished 4th, refused to show up for awards, but then came back to the arena afterward and screamed at me in front of a ton of people, including judges, because he felt the fact that we didn't win was somehow my fault), the fellow adult skater from my area who had me stop by his hotel room to pick something up and used that as an excuse to try to come on to me (when he's twice my age and at the time still married...how disgusting and disrespectful). Just a combination of factors that make for a really lousy time.

MusicSkateFan
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I liked the atmosphere of Lake Placid for AN. They had some issues with ice, poor monitors, the pair warm up disaster. I competed on the 1932 rink and the ice there was not great either BUT I think you have to put it out of your mind when you compete and not think about it. I remember circling to find my starting point and seing a huge hole..."I got the ice all to myself, I don't have to watch for anyones else!" I was comforted so much by that... the ruts did not bother me.

It does, however, get discouraging when you spend all that $ and work so hard and the quality of the venue is not what you expected.
A group of friends discussed the issues of Lake Placid '08 and came to the conclusion that you have to perform with the cards you are dealt...it's part of the whole process. I normally skate on freshly cut ice when I practice. I know that if I compete again I will spend some time on roughed up ice as part of my preparation. Skating at a competition is not going to be like skating at your home rink.

RachelSk8er
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I liked the atmosphere of Lake Placid for AN. They had some issues with ice, poor monitors, the pair warm up disaster. I competed on the 1932 rink and the ice there was not great either BUT I think you have to put it out of your mind when you compete and not think about it. I remember circling to find my starting point and seing a huge hole..."I got the ice all to myself, I don't have to watch for anyones else!" I was comforted so much by that... the ruts did not bother me.

I'm sure that regardless of ice conditions, your toe waltzes were lovely.

doubletoe
04-09-2010, 01:28 PM

I think the problem was that they were *required* to remove the logo from the hockey tournament that had just finished, which meant making new ice. Anyway, yeah, the ice was brand new, so it was very fragile and when they finally opened it up for the one or two practice sessions they offered, some guy was banging his toe in the ice on toe jumps and making divots about 4" in diameter all the way through the ice. Any divots that might have been on the 1932 rink would have just been normal sized ones, since that was not brand new ice.

daisies
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I think the problem was that they were *required* to remove the logo from the hockey tournament that had just finished, which meant making new ice.
I was told specifically by the woman in the ORDA office that they thought we'd want the logo, so that's why they did it. No mention of a hockey logo. But she could have been blowing smoke up my you-know-where!

doubletoe
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I was told specifically by the woman in the ORDA office that they thought we'd want the logo, so that's why they did it. No mention of a hockey logo. But she could have been blowing smoke up my you-know-where!

LOL! I guess we'll never know. . . I think I asked someone who was making the ice, and the story I got was that they had to remove the hockey logo for copyright reasons (maybe because it was going to be on icenetwork?). Then again, I might have just filled in the gaps in information with that logic, since I am in the brand licensing industry. :roll: Either way, I sure hope this A.N. doesn't suck as much as the practice ice registration has, LOL!

flo
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Any other skaters get an email from the LOC saying that they oversold your practice ice and asking for volunteers to change sessions?
Lame, no excuse for such a mess this late.

Terri C
04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Any other skaters get an email from the LOC saying that they oversold your practice ice and asking for volunteers to change sessions?

WHAT!!!???8O8O8O8O
You've got to be kidding me! I really hate to be saying this, but I'm glad that I'm not there this year. I also really hope future LOC's of AN are aware of all these issues!

drskater
04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
This may seem weird given the latest posts, but I thought now might be an appropriate time to wish everyone good luck. I hope you all do well and have a good time!! Hopefully, you'll let the rest of us know how it goes.

Isk8NYC
04-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Good luck to everyone! Have a wonderful time and skate your best!

flo
04-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Drskater -always a good time for well wishes!! Thanks!

Clarice
04-11-2010, 07:36 AM

I just did, and it doesn't make me very happy. I can't easily change the session requested - I had booked 2 next to each other purposely, and what they want me to do would separate the sessions. I don't see any point in wasting time warming up twice. I feel bad for not helping out my fellow adult skaters by switching, but the reason I have these sessions at all is because my rink has been closed for two weeks and I've been scrounging up ice time all over the place. I'm letting myself be put on a guilt trip over something that isn't my fault. Practice ice issues are really the last thing any of us need to be dealing with right now!

flo
04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I do hope that the LOC gives refunds to whoever ends up moving their session. We're not changing as our event is later that day. We were the first to sign up and sent an e-mail to the practice ice chair right away letting her know that the sessions were still showing available.

flying~camel
04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm REALLY glad I didn't pre-register for practice ice, then!

Most of the West MI contingent leaves tomorrow night/Tuesday morning! Looking forward to seeing you all there! :D

Stormy
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Looks like a lot of the sessions are gone now. I just clicked around trying to find some more ice for a friend who's in Champ Gold and not much is left Thursday and on, that she could do anyways.

I cannot believe they oversold ice. Well, I can believe it, but there is absolutely no excuse for that to happen. Fail. EPIC FAIL.

SkaterBird
04-11-2010, 12:24 PM
If anyone on this list will have access to a car and wants to know where ice might be available at other rinks within about 30 miles PM me and I'll give you some ideas.

NoVa Sk8r
04-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I cannot believe they oversold ice. Well, I can believe it, but there is absolutely no excuse for that to happen. Fail. EPIC FAIL.My pair partner got *two* e-mails telling her that two of her sessions have oversold (including one of our pair sessions). She copied me on the message she e-mailed to the organizers.
Let's just say she is *NOT* happy. 8O :lol:

vesperholly
04-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I hope there's even practice ice still available! I went to sign up today and they closed it. :(

Mel On Ice
04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm looking at 19 minutes until I'm on vacation and suddenly my throat is dry and my stomach is doing flip flops. My vacation and I do this for fun, right?

manleywoman
04-11-2010, 03:38 PM
My vacation and I do this for fun, right?

Yes. Yes you do. :twisted:

The week before, I always question why I'm doing this. And then once I'm bowing in front of the judges and it's all done, I remember why.

I only signed up for one practice ice Friday morning. So far so good, I haven't gotten an email. But remember to bring your receipts everyone! Seems we're going to need them.

I'm very glad I'm the type of person who doesn't like to do too much practice ice at ANs.

flying~camel
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm looking at 19 minutes until I'm on vacation and suddenly my throat is dry and my stomach is doing flip flops. My vacation and I do this for fun, right?

We're going to have one hell of an awesome road trip together! :twisted:

sexyskates
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Of course we are doing this for fun! The week before I leave, I always wish that my skating were better. But once the training is over, it's time to enjoy the adventure. Everyone feels the pressure of wanting to skate well, but it's also so much fun to see our skating friends from around the country!
Thank you for the good luck wishes!

sk8er1964
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Good luck everyone! Have fun! :D

SkaterBird
04-11-2010, 10:42 PM

You ARE doing this for fun, and when all is said and done it really IS fun! You get to do something you love, see people you love and who love you back, watch a whole lot of skating - not too many things are better than that!!! All that, AND you get some of my homemade caramels too!!!;)
Mimi

doubletoe
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Looks like a lot of the sessions are gone now. I just clicked around trying to find some more ice for a friend who's in Champ Gold and not much is left Thursday and on, that she could do anyways.

I cannot believe they oversold ice. Well, I can believe it, but there is absolutely no excuse for that to happen. Fail. EPIC FAIL.

Amazing how giving *every*single*spot*on*every*single*practice*sessio n its very own number did not magically prevent an oversell. :roll:

Stormy
04-12-2010, 07:46 AM
You can now check on your reservations to make sure what you did book went through- http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/practiceice/practiceiceschedule.php

RachelSk8er
04-12-2010, 07:53 AM
OK good, mine show up even though the site is screwed up and didn't let me enter my paypal number. Guess I'll straighten it out there...

What a nightmare!!

harmony
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Good luck to everyone going to AN! Have safe travels and skate great! Smile, sparkle and shine!! =)
I wish that I could be there with everyone this year. Know that I will be cheering you on from home and will miss you all very much. It's weird to not be preparing to go, but I hope to go next year. I (and I know many others) will be looking for updates on what's going on so please update us whenever you get a chance. Go team!

flying~camel
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Since I don't compete until Friday, I'll be tweeting & Facebooking from the stands pretty much all day on Wednesday and sporadically on Thursday (we're planning a trip to the mall at some point that day ;)). So, PM me if you want to follow me on Twitter or Facebook. :)

rlichtefeld
04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
You can now check on your reservations to make sure what you did book went through- http://www.fscbloomington.org/an10/practiceice/practiceiceschedule.php

Only one of mine shows up (Tuesday freestyle).

I made 2 different reservations with 2 different Paypal numbers. Onlythe first one shows up.

However, I did get an email saying my second session (pairs) is overbooked and they'd like us to reschedule.

Guess we'll get it sorted out there tomorrow. I've printed out my Paypal confirmations.

Rob

rlichtefeld
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Only one of mine shows up (Tuesday freestyle).

I made 2 different reservations with 2 different Paypal numbers. Onlythe first one shows up.

However, I did get an email saying my second session (pairs) is overbooked and they'd like us to reschedule.

Guess we'll get it sorted out there tomorrow. I've printed out my Paypal confirmations.

Rob

They've changed the report that is generated. Now both of my sessions are showing. Whoo hoo!!!

Rob

RachelSk8er
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Since I don't compete until Friday, I'll be tweeting & Facebooking from the stands pretty much all day on Wednesday and sporadically on Thursday (we're planning a trip to the mall at some point that day ;)). So, PM me if you want to follow me on Twitter or Facebook. :)

OOH I wanna be your friend! Please!!! Ha ha. I'm not going to follow you though, that's a little creepy. And I don't tweet. Too many technologies to keep up with. Thank god work hasn't punished me with a corporate leash/crackberry yet.

rlichtefeld
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
OOH I wanna be your friend! Please!!! Ha ha. I'm not going to follow you though, that's a little creepy. And I don't tweet. Too many technologies to keep up with. Thank god work hasn't punished me with a corporate leash/crackberry yet.

But, Jay (The Cookie Man) is shipping ME his cookies!!!

Wonder how many friends I'll have this week?

Rob

sk8er1964
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Rob

Jay's cookies + you? Millions, I would think. :bow:

Is your fan page going to promote this?

8-)

jazzpants
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Rob
Jay The Cookie Man is NOT going this year either!?!?!? 8O Geez!!! And speaking of which, Jay the hairdresser is NOT going either to AN this year. His one Adult Gold student decided not to compete this year, opting instead for a nice Alaska cruise.

I'm not going... but I'll be your friend if you ship me some of his cookies to San Francisco (or hell... pass it to either of my coaches and have them bring it to me... :mrgreen: )

F~c: I'm not on Twitter, so I'll just follow your FB status! Please bring back plenty of NICE JUICY GOSSIP please!!! :twisted:

Petlover
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Good luck to all!