View Full Version : Returning Light or Deepening Dark - practice thread 1/13-1/19

liz_on_ice
01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Overdue for a new practice thread I see. Have you noticed that sunrise is a little earlier lately? Or are you still getting up in the dark so it doesn't matter?

Returning light - I felt much more confident in lesson this morning, I think off-ice strengthening is working. We ran through my program for the winter classic in March - a modified version of my FS3 test program tuned for pre-bronze competition.

Deepening Dark - I walked through spirals and jumps, just placing them in the routine. Even the waltz was teeny tiny. Maybe next week we'll work on them.

Returning light - coach pronounced my sitspin "recognizeable"

Isk8NYC
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice thread title. We're still getting up in the dark, but it's light out by the time I start working/the kids leave for school (6:50-7:10am)

Returning Light:
Goofed around with my students, doing spins and jumps without warmups.
They were, as Liz' coach would say, "recognizable," lol

Deepening Dark:
Still waiting for my new skates to come in. Every edge and jump is a battle, I even struggle with doing half flips with the picking foot landing. It's just scary!

Spins weren't centered, but they were enough to impress the parents.

phoenix
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Deepening Dark:
Well, got a retry on my test Monday night. I didn't fall apart by any means, but skated a bit cautiously because I think I just was worried about getting through it with no mistakes. Which I did....but the judges wanted more expression, more "crispness" & said it was sluggish & a small pattern. All of which was true. But I saw a video that someone was kind enough to tape for me, & it really wasn't bad.

Returning Light:
So--I'm okay with that. I knew that it was borderline--it really is only to the place where it's *sometimes* consistent and I'm still thinking pretty hard through the whole thing. So it definitely has a lot of room for improvement.

Back to the Dark!:
This throws a wrench into my over-ambitious goals for 2010, as I'd hoped to have this one out of the way to move on to get the next one ready to test in May.

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Haven't posted on one of these for ages, and no, I haven't really noticed that the days are any longer! It's been so dreary here that most days you have to have the light on all day anyway!

Returning Light: Had our first lesson with our new coach on Tuesday; he has saved a 15-minute slot for us then, and hopes to find a second slot on a Friday for us! We miss our old coaches, but it's fun to be working with R for the first time since our very first learn-to-skate class!

Kim to the Max
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Returning Light:

I'm ready for my test...or as ready as I'm going to be for now. I had a very good lesson yesterday. My rockers were better, powerpulls were amazing (although coach had me do them 3x's!!) and my choctaws looked good!!

Partly Sunny/Partly Cloudy:

So........the question about testing intermediate free came up again yesterday...and I told her that I made a deal with someone else to try during 2010....she was slightly excited....

Deepening Dark:

I may or may not get on the ice until my test on Saturday and I'm not okay with this. I have to work tomorrow night when I would normally skate and I usually skate Fridays too but I also have to work Friday night. I can go to another rink tomorrow from 8-11pm but that is not ideal because it's late.

phoenix
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Kim, don't let it throw you. My practice schedule was disrupted quite a bit the week before my test, and I let it shake my confidence too much! I once had to skate in a competition the day after I got back from a 4 day business trip, which I was very unhappy about, but I stayed relaxed and I skated really well. You have months of training behind you; it will stand you in good stead.

If you can skate the late night session, do it, and then go in on Sat. with confidence and strength.

Good luck!! I feel for your situation.

tazsk8s
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Returning Light: Camel spin. I'm getting it to actually spin more often than not. The position isn't great yet, but I'm still working on getting some semblance of flexibility and core strength back and it seems to be starting to help. I even tacked on a sit a couple of times, something I've never, ever been able to do. Nice to have something new to work on...It gives me the illusion that I'm progressing again.

Lutz is a little better. I figured out I'm waiting waaaaaayyyyy too long on the back entry edge and getting completely stuck there.

Axel is finally back to where it was pre-injury. I'm getting the weight over the right side. Most of my attempts are 2 footed or falls, occasionally I will land on one foot. I usually don't do these until the end of my practice so the ice is pretty well hacked up by then, so I can't really see my tracings to be able to tell how rotated (or not) it was.

Finally got to go skate on the little temporary outdoor rink by my office. I was glad I wore my old skates....the ice was pretty rough. It had some huge ruts that I was afraid I'd catch, so I didn't do anything harder than a few 3 turns. Still, it was fun. My co-workers were coming and going from the office and waved when they saw me.

Deepening Dark: Pitch black, that was my entire lesson last week. I usually manage to skate okay in the mornings as long as I don't have the first lesson and a little bit of time to warm up. My coach has two other kids that she alternates with first lesson, but they were both late so I ended up taking one for the team, so to speak. Nothing worked well.

Kim to the Max
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Kim, don't let it throw you. My practice schedule was disrupted quite a bit the week before my test, and I let it shake my confidence too much! I once had to skate in a competition the day after I got back from a 4 day business trip, which I was very unhappy about, but I stayed relaxed and I skated really well. You have months of training behind you; it will stand you in good stead.

If you can skate the late night session, do it, and then go in on Sat. with confidence and strength.

Good luck!! I feel for your situation.

Thanks, phoenix! If I can't make it to my regular rink tomorrow, I will go to the 8-11pm session at the other rink. If dinner is done by 6, I can hustle and make it for 6:30-8pm or I can go for 7:15-8pm. I don't like going for only 45 minutes (my regular rink is about 20 minutes away or so, so I generally skate 2-3 sessions to make going out there worth it....but I like it because it's NOT on campus!!), but really I only want to do moves tomorrow (because if I hurt myself with freestyle, coach will not be happy :) ) so 45 minutes would be okay.

I'm feeling good with the moves, I just want to work on sorting out a few things and just get one more good practice in.

I'm feeling the pressure since I want to get both junior and senior done by September. Plus, I always have a pre-test freak out :) and this NEED to be on the ice could be a part of that...

Laura H
01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
this is from my private lesson yesterday . . .

Returning Light: After running through the non-jump, non-spin stuff in FS 4 and verifying that I could do all of it, we then worked on jumps the whole time, fixing/improving some stuff on the salchow, looked at sachow-toe loop (apparently fine) and then moving on to the new jumps, loop and flip . . . after a few prep drills for the loop, she told me to try it full rotation . . and I actually landed some of them!!! Yeah!! We then moved on to the flip, and that shows promise too - I just need to work on them in practice this week, but I'm definitely getting the feeling of both of the jumps, so exciting!! (for me AND my coach, I think!).

Deepening Dark - it was a good thing I got to the freestyle session with enough time to warm up, because I was SO stiff from sitting all day at work . . . felt like Frankenstein for a while there, ugh.

aaand . . . I definitely didn't want to leave the ice when freestyle ended - just wanted to keep doing loops and flips over and over again so they will be "mine!"

londonicechamp
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Laura H

Congrats on landing some of the flips and the loops. I just managed to land some of them during my practice today. Felt a bit weird, but well at least I know that I am landing on the right foot, and not the wrong one. 8-)

How long were you sitting in the office for? The reason I ask is that starting next Monday, I will be doing a full time internship with a French bank, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (this means that I am working 9.5 hours). I have already talked to my coach, and she agreed that when I start working full time, she will fit me in for a 7:30 p.m. lesson slot, as the ice is resurfaced at 7:00 p.m.

Given that you have a full day's work, how long did you end up skating in the rink? I at one point last year, was working well 3 days a week, and out of one of these work days, still managed to skate for 2 hours or more after work. ;)

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi

This is for my lesson and practice this afternoon.

Returning Light
3 turns: both leg outside forward ones. Now they are somewhat recognisable. Just need to watch out for my arms position. :D

Forward crossovers: stronger on the right leg than the left leg.

Backward crossovers: trying to get more speed.

Scratch spin: well, with the newly taught entry position, with just holding the leg out for about 1 revolution, if lucky, manage 2, still manage about 12 to 14 revolution. Even managed 1 19 revolution spin when I was not paying attention during the practice before my lesson. :bow:

Loop jump: kind of existed. Knew that I am now landing on the right leg. Coach has not checked yet, so not very sure.

Spirals: right leg seemed not too bad. :P

Backward inside pivots: well, kind of managed 1+ revolution. :D

Mohawk before doing the waltz jump is nice, coach pronounced it more than recognisable. :mrgreen:

Change foot spin: well, standards maintained. Still the last forward spin not less than 15 revolutions. :D:D:D

Variation spins: still my favourites. If I get the entry position correct, I can easily get more than 10 revolution, even 13 to 14 revolutions.

As my legs were getting cramped towards the end of the skating session, I did some little man, my favourite move. Tried to do some shoot the duck too. Well, not sure they are low enough.

Deepening Dark
Forward crossovers: need to practise more on the left leg.

Scratch spin alone: tend to lose it a bit, coz maybe the coach taught me a new entry position today. Even with the new entry position, tended to hold my leg out for not too many revolutions, before crossing them. Trying to correct this on my mind. Only one time during practise, I managed to hold my leg out for 3+ revolutions, then cross with about 14 revolutions. ;)

Waltz jump: the arm position is not quite correct. Coach reminded me that as I move up the level, I need to still work on the basics too. :!:

Backspin: well, the crossing bit is still hard. Well, will probably need a million more practice, before I got the spin. :giveup:

Sit spin: tried to get low, but ended up sitting on the ice 2 to 3 times. :( Saw a 54 year old retired man practising sit spin on the ice, about going more than half low. Was thinking to myself: if that man can do it, there is no way I cannot do it!!!!!!!! :halo:

Spirals: not so high on the left leg. Wanted to do catch foot. Lost the balance, but miraculously did not fall on the ice.

Coach said that she can slot me in for a lesson tomorrow, as her 6 p.m. student for tomorrow had a cancellation. :)

Well, actually I also practised on cherry flips, toe loops and salchow. I would say that they are somewhere in betwen returning light and deepening dark. Now, what do you call that? :?:

londonicechamp

PinkLaces
01-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Kim - good luck on your test!

Laura - Yay on the loops and flips!

I ended up skating twice today. Coach had mentioned she might have an opening on the 8-845 session tonight. I sent her an e-mail to see if she did. I didn't get her reply back until I was about to leave for the afternoon session at the rink. I decided to go anyway.

Returning Light Really practiced my footwork section this afternoon. Coach was happy with the results tonight. It is getting better every time I do it. We came up with a fun ending for program, too. Practiced holding the landing on my salchow-loop before going into the sit spin. Coach pronounced it good. Getting more revs on the camel-backspin - both parts of the spin. Sit spin is getting lower millimeters at a time, but getting lower.

Deepening Dark I am landing the flip in isolation, but having some trouble landing it in the program. A couple of times the height/speed on the loop from the back-crossovers surprised me and I 2-footed the landing.

When we played my program music, it was like an obstacle course. :evil: :frus: I don't know if these girls just weren't used to a lefty, because they would skate directly into my path to try to avoid me. Coach cheated and put my music on again as soon as I caught my breath ;)

dance2sk8
01-15-2010, 07:49 AM
[B]
When we played my program music, it was like an obstacle course. :evil: :frus: I don't know if these girls just weren't used to a lefty, because they would skate directly into my path to try to avoid me. Coach cheated and put my music on again as soon as I caught my breath ;)

LOL!!! I go through this often. SO I FINALLY have started using my vocal chords and yell out "Excuse me" somewhat aggressively before I approach. People move. But then again, I am a 6 ft giant hurdling across the ice at them. That makes a difference! :lol:

liz_on_ice
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
returning light - scheduled a moves lesson with summer coach in addition to regular lesson with winter coach this week. He dusted me up right, made a big difference. Off ice exercise is helping - I did some tentative spirals and they weren't too bad. Spins are slow due to lack of confidence, but centered nicely.

deepening dark - still a long way to go to get back to my pre October form. Unlimited time and money would be a big help here but I can't handle two lessons a week except special occasions.

PinkLaces
01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
LOL!!! I go through this often. SO I FINALLY have started using my vocal chords and yell out "Excuse me" somewhat aggressively before I approach. People move. But then again, I am a 6 ft giant hurdling across the ice at them. That makes a difference! :lol:

Hee Hee - I can picture it. 8-) I had to resort to yelling "You're in my corner!" at a girl when I was setting up for the lutz-toe loop on the second run through. It's usually not so bad on my usual sessions. I used to skate this session last year and it was dead. Now there are girls that do the Dartfish training on it and they rotate every other/every third week with that coach so more crowded.

londonicechamp
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Returning light

Forward crossovers (R) followed by mohawk then backward crossover (left): the speed seemed to be there. Same sequence repeated on the left leg. The good thing is that the coach did not complain that my forward crossover on the left leg is much weaker today. :P

Backward crossovers (both left and R): when I leaned my body back, tend to gain more speed.

Scratch spin: tried to open leg as wide as I can. Did a few good ones with good revolutions (close to 10), and the coach said that they are nearly there, meaning that is what she wanted me to do, except that my leg has to go out much wider. 8-)

Well, managed one close to 20 revolutions one foot spin during my practise today. :bow:

Change foot spin: seemed not too bad. Forward spin and forward scratch spin seemed to be okay. Tried to get more snap on the backspin, with the left leg wide open (no crossing yet). :D

Sit spin: coach corrected my posture, well, kind of seemed to get down lower, though only 3 times I think. At least coach said that I can now work on the height, and to think about improving the strenghth on my right leg. Well, at least they go a bit lower during practice after my lesson. Lower than what I used to do, and they were centred, as I can see the tracings on the ice, so I was happy. ;)

Backward inside edges: seemed to be better than outside edges. Strange, but well. :P

Loop jump: practised on them, tried to land them on the left leg. They were tiny. Accidentally found an exercise which helped with the loop jump, doing backspin and then landing position on the left leg. :mrgreen:

Variation spin: still my favourite spin. Not sure the correct name for this spin though. :o

Deepening Dark
Well, worked on backward outside edges. Tended to turn my back too soon. Not aware of that till coach corrected my mistake. Needs working on them. :!:

Scratch spin: tried the entry position as taught by my coach during this week (Thursday's lesson), when opened too wide, seemed to lose the spin altogether. :evil: Coach said that it may be coz my leg is not held high enough. :halo:

Sit spin: tried to get down lower. Sat down on the ice 3 times. My skating friend laughed that my sitting on the ice seemed very smooth, just straight sit on the ice. ;)

No time to work on jumps, as a bit tired by the time I finished working on the spins.

As I start 6 month internship job on Monday (18 January), my request to change my original skating lesson to Thursday after work, at 7:30 p.m., is refused by them, as my coach has no more available slots for the evening, for the next two weeks. Have to book me in for skating after work on Tuesday (same time as Friday), I am not happy with that as I have to work on Wednesday. Well, suppose I can stay for about 45 minutes to practise after my lesson, so that I do not tire myself out too much. Good thing is that the Friday slot is there for me, starting the 1st week of Feb. Looking forward to the new bank job. Hope that it is not too boring. 8-)

Bad idea to have high tea with friends which finished 2 hours before my skating session, as by the end of my 1.5 hours skating session, still have not burned all of the energy off from the high tea. :(

PinkLaces
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Returning Light Had a lesson with Coach where we didn't work on the program and could work on skills. Spent most of our time on spins. Worked on my combos including some new ones - sit/back sit and camel/sit/backspin. I am very excited about starting the layback with coach. It took awhile to figure out the right hand position(where I didn't fall over), but coach was very happy with the progress tonight.

Deepening Dark Flip was tiny in the program tonight.

techskater
01-16-2010, 05:31 AM
[B][COLOR="Purple"]When we played my program music, it was like an obstacle course. :evil: :frus: I don't know if these girls just weren't used to a lefty, because they would skate directly into my path to try to avoid me. Coach cheated and put my music on again as soon as I caught my breath ;)

This is an ongoing problem at our rink. Last year around Adult Mids, I almost took out TWO kids who were PLAYING AROUND on my spiral sequence while in program on a lesson. They both got yelled at by my coach. Yet, these two are still a problem

Kim to the Max
01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
This is an ongoing problem at our rink. Last year around Adult Mids, I almost took out TWO kids who were PLAYING AROUND on my spiral sequence while in program on a lesson. They both got yelled at by my coach. Yet, these two are still a problem

I run into this as well....not so much with running a program, but with my moves, most of the junior moves pass through the middle, so it can be hard to get the pattern in....we call it bowling :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Returning Light: had a good skate this morning....worked on a lot of things and most were good. Managed some waltz jump-backspins and waltz-loops. I fell on one and jammed my toe inside my boot which hurt a bit.

Deepening Dark: looking for another alternative to freestyle sessions...since they don't suit my schedule at this time.

Kim to the Max
01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I got a retry on my Junior Moves...I didn't skate the power pulls like I know I can which annoys me to no end. I couldn't even do it on the reskate :( but, I will take them again in 28 days!

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I got a retry on my Junior Moves...I didn't skate the power pulls like I know I can which annoys me to no end. I couldn't even do it on the reskate :( but, I will take them again in 28 days!
I KNOW you will pass it next go-around! Good luck! I hate power pulls...more than the back 3's I never work on any more....;)

dance2sk8
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Light: Did 4 run throughs of my program yesterday. Went pretty well. Refining my moves and such. Getting more height in my jumps and getting super darn low in my sit. Adding more revolutions to my camel spin. This coming week I will be focused on skating in a skirt to get more comfortable with doing my program in it.

Dark: Inconsistency on my flip jump within my program. But I know what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. When I focus on keeping my upper body more upright (standing tall) and not rotating my arm beforehand, it makes it easy and really high. Sometimes surprising me. Have to get used to it when its easy to do.

Also, super nervous for next Saturday!!!! 8O And feeling that competitiveness in me. :twisted:

PinkLaces
01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Light: Did 4 run throughs of my program yesterday. Went pretty well. Refining my moves and such. Getting more height in my jumps and getting super darn low in my sit. Adding more revolutions to my camel spin. This coming week I will be focused on skating in a skirt to get more comfortable with doing my program in it.

Dark: Inconsistency on my flip jump within my program. But I know what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. When I focus on keeping my upper body more upright (standing tall) and not rotating my arm beforehand, it makes it easy and really high. Sometimes surprising me. Have to get used to it when its easy to do.

Also, super nervous for next Saturday!!!! 8O And feeling that competitiveness in me. :twisted:

That darn flip! With all the work we have to do on it, maybe it'll be our best jump someday. ;)

Good luck on your competition!

PinkLaces
01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
For Saturday....

Deepening Dark Group coach was sick :( I was going to use the half hour to practice, but always get FS1 & 2 girls wanting me to watch them. We have a very small practice space and normally I have to shoo them away during the lesson. I didn't get much practicing done. Tried to do my salchow-loop combo and just missed one of them by inches. Gave up jumping after that. They are very nice girls who only skate 1x per week and seasonally so I feel bad yelling or correcting them.

Returning Light Really only could do spins. Happy with my sits, camels, and even got a few 1-2 rev lay-backs.

Sunday
Deepening Dark Our club had a 2 hour National Skating month event. Was going to do one of the exhibitions with my competition program (comp is in 2 weeks), but DH really wanted me to go to the Vikings game with him. We have season tickets. I'm not a big football person, but went because he really wanted me to go. I'm sad I had to miss 2 hours of skating. :( The things we do for love. :halo:

flying~camel
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Returning light:

Lutzes!

Now that I am really building back my upper body strength, I am able to pull my right arm back nicely and get a good snap on the takeoff. I cleanly landed 75% of the lutzes I attempted and coach even has me trying lutz-loop again! I will be SO HAPPY when I get this jump back consistently again!

Layback spin!

Not to toot my own horn, but my layback has always been pretty decent, especially for a Bronze/Silver level skater. But lately, they've been much faster and with a small tweak, my leg position has improved.

Camel spin!

This has always been a problem spin for me, even when I skated as a kid. But, after a recent 2-on-1 training at the gym with my coach/personal trainer we discovered that I am carrying my weight too far back and once I started thinking about pushing my weight more forward, voila, camels are there!

Silver moves!

I am now consistently doing what my coach considers passing Silver moves run-throughs! I still feel a little shaky on LFI and LBO 3s but I have 3-1/2 months before I test, so I have plenty of time to work that out!

I am looking forward to competing next weekend in Wyandotte and seeing (some) of my long-distance skating friends again! :D

Deepening Dark:

Nothing this week! :)

Skate@Delaware
01-18-2010, 07:46 AM
this is for yesterday
Light: had a good skate...things were nice. Started on cranking it up so we worked on the flip. Much better this time around.

Dark: it was really hard to get centered on my scratch spin....because I was (once again) whipping into it too quickly. Slowed it down and ta-da! My coach was freaking on my salchow-I rushed the 3-turn and lost the rhythm and she thought I was a goner but I managed to stay upright (still not sure how I managed to save that one). So, I'm still remediating and to hold the check longer, even on the mohawk entrance.

dbny
01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, got a retry on my test Monday night. I didn't fall apart by any means, but skated a bit cautiously because I think I just was worried about getting through it with no mistakes. Which I did....but the judges wanted more expression, more "crispness" & said it was sluggish & a small pattern. All of which was true. But I saw a video that someone was kind enough to tape for me, & it really wasn't bad.

Returning Light:
So--I'm okay with that. I knew that it was borderline--it really is only to the place where it's *sometimes* consistent and I'm still thinking pretty hard through the whole thing. So it definitely has a lot of room for improvement.

Sorry you didn't nail it this time, but it's great that you know what you need to do and are OK with your performance.

And you'll pass them then! Getting a reskate on the power pulls shows how close you were to passing.

Deepening Dark:
My skating life has been invaded by a lot of negatives lately, which has made me seriously consider divorcing altogether from skating. It would be a huge task for me, as my identity is now wrapped up in skating, but I've been feeling that I need to get away from the toxic atmosphere I've been subjected to. I don't have a clue what else I would do.

Returning light:
My coach can be counted on to put a positive spin on things (pardon the pun), and she's done it again! I had a great lesson on Friday, and even made progress on my own with the negative work issues, so now I'm feeling more hopeful.

One foot spins were good enough Fri that I told coach I wanted to try from a wind up. Although I two footed the entries just a bit, they were close to perfect, and the spins centered nicely. From there I got the courage to attempt backspins, but still at the boards. No progress there, but at least no backslipping either. Coach spotted me through LFI/RBO threes in the field, which are fun. I did a few on my own after the lesson. If I could just master my fear, I could really do these! F power pulls are getting better and better. I do a few in between lessons (the ones I give) whenever I can. I can feel that there is just a tiny bit of forward lean at my waist, and when I get rid of it, I really get smooth and build speed.

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Deepening Dark:
My skating life has been invaded by a lot of negatives lately, which has made me seriously consider divorcing altogether from skating. It would be a huge task for me, as my identity is now wrapped up in skating, but I've been feeling that I need to get away from the toxic atmosphere I've been subjected to. I don't have a clue what else I would do.

Maybe either take a few weeks of, or switch rinks? (Either a temporary or permanent rink change?) If you have to go to your current rink d/t your coach, spend the rest of your skating time elsewhere.

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
From Friday/Saturday:

Returning Light:
--My ankle is now able to tolerate 2 hr sessions. Occasionally my foot will fall asleep because there is a tiny bit of swelling left and I can't get my skate tied quite right so I have to stop/take my skate off for a few minutes/re-lace. And it's generally kind of sore after I'm done skating.
--Back to working on axels. Just did takeoff drills w/my coach during my lesson on Friday to get the muscle memory back. On Saturday I was fully-rotating them. No clean landings yet, and not as much speed going into them yet pre-injury, but they'll get there. Really want to put it in my program out of a RBI double-3 followed by a with a change of edge to put me on a RBO. That would be SWEET and perhaps keep me from over-thinking the jump.
--Also back to working on double toes/double sals. Just 1.5x around and landing forward; haven't tried to fully-rotate yet.
--Junior moves-->power circles are back to passing standards, outside rockers are close.
--Did a decent run-thru of my program on Saturday, had to leave out one jump b/c people were in my way. Have some changes I want to make after Wyandotte. Step sequence still not back to the "beefed up" version I put in my program prior to my injury b/c it has quick rocker choctaws on the L foot (the one I injured) and I'm still hesitant to do these up to the correct speed.
--Put a forward scratch with a COE in my program as the first spin because laybacks are not cooperating, and I don't have time to fight with them before Wyandotte. I don't think a COE will get rewarded at silver under 6.0 as it would in gold under IJS, but hopefully it will not go unnoticed. And hopefully I won't mess it up. Riding around on the forward outside edge is kind of fun.
--My flying camel on its own is finally what I would call consistent. I nail about 85% of them and can save the spin when the jump sucks (because my back camel has gotten stronger). In the program is still another story since it's the end of my program and I rush into it. Goal is to nail it at Wyandotte (I've either bombed it in every competition I've tried it so far, took it out altogether last time I competed @ Peach).

Deepening Dark:
--Lutzes have been a hot mess ever since I came back from my injury. I'm having all sorts of timing issues with them for whatever reason. Which sucks, they had gotten so good before I got hurt. So all fun/difficult things going into them that were in my program have come out for Wyandotte so that I can just focus on the jump.
--Junior Moves-->Diagonal patterns. Yuck. But in all fairness I just started working on choctaws again on Friday. Total lack of speed/rhythm to the power pull pattern (although I've been practicing it on crowded sessions and as discussed above, that's downright impossbile). Also having issues with FI rockers, I'm not getting my body over the skating leg enough on the turn.
--Laybacks. Yuck. Tried a few for the first time post-injury on Saturday and they were just uncomfortable. I'll re-visit after Wyandotte when we can devote some lesson time. It's a shame, I had a breakthrough on them right before I screwed up my ankle. Argh.
--Dance. Did the 2 dances I'm competing at Wyandotte for the first time since Peach the other day. I feel bad for judges or anyone else who watches me do these on Saturday...they're going to be pretty bad. I have a lot of cleanup work to do on these between now and ANs if I want to re-claim a spot on the podium.

General annoyance:

It bugs the %*@! out of me that coaches don't teach their skaters how to look out for various patterns or elements and stay out of the way when they see people doing them. When I was a kid, we were taught to look out for patterns on various moves tests, i.e. taught not to hang out at center ice when we see someone working on junior moves, and never to hang out in the corners where right handed skaters do lutzes. When we hear ice dance music, look out for someone doing a dance and stay out of the way. If you and another skater are coming at each other, always go to your right. Or if you're a little skater and an older/stronger skater is coming toward you, don't move, let them go around you, because they can swerve around you faster than you can get out of their way. If we didn't follow the rules when I was younger, we got reamed out by our coaches and the ice monitor.

Sessions tese days are like a free-for-all. I had one kid crash right into me on Saturday and a few little ones constantly getting in my way. Even the bright orange belts for people doing their program don't help. I should start being rude on sessions, get in everyone's way, and see how they like it.

Maybe it was easier back then because we had sessions that were a little more segregated. You'd never have skaters working on novice/jr/sr moves on the ice with kids in basic skills just starting private lessons. These days pretty much all sessions here are general sessions.

Skate@Delaware
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
General annoyance:

It bugs the %*@! out of me that coaches don't teach their skaters how to look out for various patterns or elements and stay out of the way when they see people doing them. When I was a kid, we were taught to look out for patterns on various moves tests, i.e. taught not to hang out at center ice when we see someone working on junior moves, and never to hang out in the corners where right handed skaters do lutzes. When we hear ice dance music, look out for someone doing a dance and stay out of the way. If you and another skater are coming at each other, always go to your right. Or if you're a little skater and an older/stronger skater is coming toward you, don't move, let them go around you, because they can swerve around you faster than you can get out of their way. If we didn't follow the rules when I was younger, we got reamed out by our coaches and the ice monitor.

Sessions tese days are like a free-for-all. I had one kid crash right into me on Saturday and a few little ones constantly getting in my way. Even the bright orange belts for people doing their program don't help. I should start being rude on sessions, get in everyone's way, and see how they like it.

Maybe it was easier back then because we had sessions that were a little more segregated. You'd never have skaters working on novice/jr/sr moves on the ice with kids in basic skills just starting private lessons. These days pretty much all sessions here are general sessions.
Yup! Been saying this for YEARS at my rink, only to face censure (recently). No you can't be rude or berate the other skaters-you could get banned for "poor sportsmanlike behavior" but don't worry that the others are flagrantly disregarding the rules (that they & parents agreed to when they step onto freestyle ice).

Rant (agreement) over.

Kim to the Max
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
General annoyance:

I hear you on that one. Coach and I call it bowling for little kids. It seems that whenever I go to do my power pulls or choctaws the kids decide to screw around in the middle or start doing a spin right as I am barreling on through. They have started getting better, but it's hard because some of the coaches don't teach their kids to watch for those things. I have literally told some of the coaches that I CANNOT watch on the power pulls because that screws up the timing/balance and I would never be able to do the rockers. After I told them that, they finally told their kids to watch. I try not to do moves on crowded sessions, but sometimes it's unavoidable since I try to do moves every time I am on the ice.

My issue is that it's not the kids that don't know any better...it's the middle kids...the ones that are not young enough to have no clue about moves patters, but the ones that are still a few levels below me. The majority of my problems come from the kids who are working somewhere between juv and novice.

Can I also add that at my rink, some of the kids feel the need to practice both dance and moves in packs? One right after another which makes it extremely difficult to practice ANYTHING! Many times I need to alter my practice plan because there would be no way I could get through the middle without hitting a kid.

I wish my club would be able to divide things up better or that at the very least people would get a clue and watch...

Rob Dean
01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Light: Well, I passed my Bronze moves today, and even had a few tenths over! My coach would rather I be over-prepared, so I was glad to have accomplished that so that when the nerves hit I was still passing. :) Now it's back to prepping (some of) the bronze dances for the next test session I enlist for. I'd like a little breather before we start on Silver moves--that'll be a long slog with none of them yet in the bag except the spirals.

Darkness: Not much, except coach will be off to Spokane for the rest of the week. Luckily coach #2 is free one night. :)

jazzpants
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Congrats on passing Bronze Moves, Rob!!! Do I see Bronze FS and Adults National in your future??? ;) 8-)

Returning Light:

I have started lessons with a third coach at another rink near my job. Well, actually, I have returned to a coach that I've taken lessons with for several weeks before having to ditch him b/c (back then) a new job and our schedule couldn't mesh b/c he's so busy!!! Those of you who are on Facebook and/or know of my long history with my coaches will know who I'm talking about.

He will be my spin coach for now...but the role may (more than likely to) expand. :)

We immediately worked on fixing the BAD spin entry habit from HELL that has been haunting me even since the first time I took from him... I'm sick of it and I want the bad habit DEAD once and for all, if nothing else, I want to start working on that camel and I know fixing this problem will fix my camel problems (and any other forward spins for that matter!) :evil:

Apparently, the spin coach revealed that he is also very closed hip (claims he can't do a spread eagle, though I am SURE I saw him doing an Ina Bauer before so he's not THAT closed hipped! :twisted: ) and he has not only seen my problem but has a solution that sorta did fix this problem w/o my having to go thru surgery to open those hips. I'm gonna practice this exercise to keep up the momentum and get the spinning foot to do what it SHOULD do! I KNEW then I got the right guy for the job!!! :bow:

Deepening Dark:
Not related to skating... the weather. It's QUITE windy and rainy today... There's no way in hell I was gonna make it to my Monday night skate with that weather!!! I just hope the power will hold up to this weather!!! 8O

RachelSk8er
01-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Can I also add that at my rink, some of the kids feel the need to practice both dance and moves in packs? One right after another which makes it extremely difficult to practice ANYTHING! Many times I need to alter my practice plan because there would be no way I could get through the middle without hitting a kid.

Actually I've done this. There were 3 other skaters working on junior moves on my Saturday morning session (until recently, they've all since tested/passed and are now on senior). We had our "junior moves party" at the start of the session. It makes practicing the diagonal patterns much easier if you go one after another. Everyone gets the hint to stay out of the way, and it kept us from getting in each other's way. But the difference is that it was only for about 15 minutes of a 2 hrs session, and not the entire time.

Yesterday:
Was able to pick up an hour of ice since I didn't have class. Overally pretty good session.
--Moves: Choctaws getting better. Couldn't really do the power pulls with power b/c the sesson was crowded. Rockers were good, forward insides were still shaky but better.
--Axels: Yuck. Wasn't staying down enough before taking off. I was playing around with the back double 3-change of edge entry though, and it was fun. I tend to jump better when I have things going into jumps that keep me from over-thinking the jump itself.
--Double toe: Just did some drills and was only rotating 1.5x around, but it felt much more solid than the day before (like I probably could have gone for it). However, after a few of these and my ankle starts to hurt and the last thing I need to do the week of Wyandotte is screw up my ankle on a jump I can't even compete with this year. Hopefully after Wyandotte I can start going for the full thing.
--Double sal: Not happening yesterday, I chickened out on every one I tried, they were at the end of the session when I was kind of tired.
--Lutz: Timing issues much better now that I'm rotating my shoulders the entire time into it versus not trying to crank the edge with my free leg. Not a whole lot of speed coming out of my lutz loop at the moment, need to fix that.
--Did't work much on spins, did a few of every spin in my program (sit-back sit, flying camel-forward sit, forward scratch + COE) and they were all good.

Didn't run the program other than sections without music. This session was too crowded, they didn't have bright belts/vests or anything like that, and since I don't normally skate at this rink, no one knows my music belongs to me when they hear it.

Stepped on the scale, I'm down 7 lbs so far for this month. Yay! (Still a lot more to go, but it's a start.) Probably won't look any different to anyone @ Wyandotte this weekend since that's weight I gained last semester, especially while I was injured.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Actually I've done this. There were 3 other skaters working on junior moves on my Saturday morning session (until recently, they've all since tested/passed and are now on senior). We had our "junior moves party" at the start of each session. It makes practicing the diagonal patterns much easier if you go one after another. Everyone gets the hint to stay out of the way, and it kept us from getting in each other's way. But the difference is that it was only for about 15 minutes and not an entire session.
That's a great idea! We used to do that with Lutz jumps on the public sessions, lol. After you jumped, you stood and guarded the corner, turning the traffic away so the next person could jump.

Kim to the Max
01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Actually I've done this. There were 3 other skaters working on junior moves on my Saturday morning session (until recently, they've all since tested/passed and are now on senior). We had our "junior moves party" at the start of the session. It makes practicing the diagonal patterns much easier if you go one after another. Everyone gets the hint to stay out of the way, and it kept us from getting in each other's way. But the difference is that it was only for about 15 minutes of a 2 hrs session, and not the entire time.

That makes sense to me I probably would do that too if I skated on the same sessions as folks who were also doing junior moves (we usually don't skate the same sessions or we end up with lessons opposite sessions)...these kids are doing the 8-step mohawk and the hickory or my favorite is when they are doing the Intermediate power circles as a cluster... :frus: and they do freestyle that way too...they move around in packs and do their spins in the corners...

RachelSk8er
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
That makes sense to me I probably would do that too if I skated on the same sessions as folks who were also doing junior moves (we usually don't skate the same sessions or we end up with lessons opposite sessions)...these kids are doing the 8-step mohawk and the hickory or my favorite is when they are doing the Intermediate power circles as a cluster... :frus: and they do freestyle that way too...they move around in packs and do their spins in the corners...

Are these synchro kids? We always did stuff like that when I was younger (a bunch of us from my synchro team were on the same dance/moves tests and actually had our own dance/moves session once a week, it was awesome), I swear we didn't know how to just do things on our own. When I was coaching synchro, I noticed my skaters were always working on stuff together in little clumps when they were on dance/freestyle sessions, too. But they were never being obnoxious about it or getting in the way.

PinkLaces
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM

The coaches I've seen here are only focused on the skater they are working with. One coach is notorious for getting in the way of other skaters.

I seriously dislike skating on Monday nights. In addition to our normal coaching staff, we have several other coaches come in. They all line up their students along the one side of the rink from team box to team box. I have to do the sit spin in my program at the end of one box and then an inside edge spiral along that side of the rink with a apex right at the announcer box in the middle. It's almost impossible to get through there.

Kim to the Max
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Are these synchro kids? They tend to practice like that because they're just used to the team/group mentality. We always did stuff like that when I was younger (a bunch of us from my synchro team were on the same dance/moves tests and actually had our own dance/moves session once a week). When I was coaching synchro, I noticed my skaters were always working on stuff together in little clumps when they were on dance/freestyle sessions, too.

Nope...not on synchro teams...their coach gives them group lessons on our freestyle ice which I think is where they get it from. But the group lessons is a whole other issue that I don't want to touch with a 10-foot pole. Personally I can't imagine a group moves lesson beyond preliminary/pre-juv...but that's just me. I don't think the practicing together is the problem, it's the not looking out for anyone else that kills me.

PinkLaces
01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
light: Well, i passed my bronze moves today, and even had a few tenths over! My coach would rather i be over-prepared, so i was glad to have accomplished that so that when the nerves hit i was still passing. :) now it's back to prepping (some of) the bronze dances for the next test session i enlist for. I'd like a little breather before we start on silver moves--that'll be a long slog with none of them yet in the bag except the spirals.

Darkness: Not much, except coach will be off to spokane for the rest of the week. Luckily coach #2 is free one night. :)

congrats!!!!

PinkLaces
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Skated the early a.m. session and then picked up a lesson with Coach the last session of the night. What was I thinking - I was tired in the morning from not getting enough sleep the night before and then I was tired on the p.m. session from not getting enought sleep and being up all day.

Deepening Dark Program run throughs were crap. First run through missed the spins. Second run through missed the flip, lutz, and loop.

Returning Light Hit the salchow-loop combo in both run throughs. A skating friend had returned to the rink after 3 months out with foot surgery. She told me that my skating had really improved so that was nice. Also got nice compliments from a couple of the skating moms - one came out clapping and cheering after the a.m. run through of my program.

dance2sk8
01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Skated the early a.m. session and then picked up a lesson with Coach the last session of the night. What was I thinking - I was tired in the morning from not getting enough sleep the night before and then I was tired on the p.m. session from not getting enought sleep and being up all day.

Deepening Dark Program run throughs were crap. First run through missed the spins. Second run through missed the flip, lutz, and loop.

Returning Light Hit the salchow-loop combo in both run throughs. A skating friend had returned to the rink after 3 months out with foot surgery. She told me that my skating had really improved so that was nice. Also got nice compliments from a couple of the skating moms - one came out clapping and cheering after the a.m. run through of my program.

You and I and our flips. My dark spot this week. FLIPS!!!! :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

I have them then I don't! Rawr!!!

jazzpants
01-19-2010, 03:00 PM
You and I and our flips. My dark spot this week. FLIPS!!!! :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

I have them then I don't! Rawr!!!
Now you know what *I* go thru... that and my lutz too!!! I seemed to have a daily quota for those jumps. After 3 for the flip and the lutz these days...:roll:

dance2sk8
01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Now you know what *I* go thru... that and my lutz too!!! I seemed to have a daily quota for those jumps. After 3 for the flip and the lutz these days...:roll:

:lol: A daily quota!!!! I love it! I usually don't have it at the beginning of my sessions, and then I start getting them. Then when I go do a run through of my program, it disappears. :roll:

liz_on_ice
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Light: Well, I passed my Bronze moves today, and even had a few tenths over!

whoooooooooooooot:!:

Skate@Delaware
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Congrats, Rob on passing your test!!!!!!

Light: went to public skate today and it was really nice-glad I went. Although there were about 10 people on the ice (crowded for a daytime session), I did manage to hit all my elements (freestyle stuff, not moves). Even managed to get all the way around on the flip (even tho I'm 2-footing it which is ok for now according to coach).

Dark: spins were off, I had a slight headache today maybe that was why? Sit spins were terrible!!!! Ugh! I did manage one that was centered but my behind was no where near where it should have been (i.e. closer to the ice).

Isk8NYC
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
light: Well, i passed my bronze moves today, and even had a few tenths over! bravo!!! Well done!!!

PinkLaces
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
:lol: A daily quota!!!! I love it! I usually don't have it at the beginning of my sessions, and then I start getting them. Then when I go do a run through of my program, it disappears. :roll:

This is me, too. About 3 weeks ago, I thought I finally had flipped the switch on the flip and had them figured out. Well, no ice for a week and it disappeared back to wherever it goes when it hides on me. Now I can get them in isolation(after a bit of practice), but 2 foot them in the program. Coach gave me an exercise tonight to get the position more automatic. She has me to do a backspin. When the feet are crossed, she has me hop up and out of the jump, hold the back landing edge, and step forward on the opposite foot. She made me practice it 20x after my lesson.

Returning Light My program run through went much better tonight. I even finished with my music. Coach liked the spins and some of the jumps. She fixed some of the transitions like between the spiral and the lutz. Layback is coming along. I end up leaning myself out of it, but can recover into a 1 ft spin.

Deepening Dark See comments on the flip above. :frus: Also worked on my lutz. I was going all Brian Boitano with my arms. Coach made me practice it by transfering a skate guard between hands while during it.

Rob Dean
01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Congrats on passing Bronze Moves, Rob!!! Do I see Bronze FS and Adults National in your future??? ;) 8-)

Thank you! But no, almost certainly no FS--I took up dance when I didn't want to learn to jump at the end of the basic skills lessons, and have since only managed a few very tentative waltz jumps. It'd be ugly...:oops: AN in a dance mode remains within the realm of possibility.

phoenix
01-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the moves test, Rob!! I found that moves is a very good complement to dance. Moves found a lot of weak spots that I didn't know I had! (and still more to come, I'm quite sure).

Move to Chicago area & I'll dance w/ you! ;)

londonicechamp
01-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Well this was for my lesson and practice straight after work on Tuesday (19 Jan) of last week:

Returning Light
Learnt the Russian stroking. Coach used it as a warm up to wake me up from the tiredness of work. Really fun, and I like this move. :mrgreen:

Did forward crossover on both sides and backward crossovers too. The one on the right feet, I did with a mohawk, before changing to backward crossovers.

Well did change foot spin. The first forward spin and the back spin not too bad. Hands not tight enough, hence lost a number of revolutions in the last forward scratch spin. :o

Did waltz jump, 3 in a row, they are quite fun really. :D

I practised on loop jump. Seemed to manage a tiny one, so I am rather happy. ;)

I also practised on sit spin. Tried to get down lower, and fell 3 times on the bum. :)

Backward inside pivot: not too bad either.

Worked on lots of double 3s. I like them a lot. 8-)

Also practised on corkscrew spin. I like them too.

Managed to practise on spins (one foot spin) after my lesson. I think that I did count to as much as 19 revolutions at one time. :bow:

Very nice to skate in the rink after 7:00 p.m. It was just mostly students having their lessons, no public though. ;)

Deepening dark

Waltz jump: coach spent a long time with me working on the arms position. :(

Toe loop: needed to work on them.

Salchow: needed to work on them, as tended to jump flat on the blade. My coach said that it should be with toe pick.

Spirals: not high enough. Even if the right leg goes high enough, my leg will not be that straight.

Backspin: well still not getting more than 1 revolution in the crossed leg position. Kind of frustrating. :frus:

Had to leave the rink about 9:00 p.m. (after 1.5 hours of practice), as I needed to work the next day. The next day after coming home in the evening, dropped dead in bed for about 2 hours.

dance2sk8
01-25-2010, 09:07 AM
From Friday/Saturday:
Deepening Dark:
--Lutzes have been a hot mess ever since I came back from my injury. I'm having all sorts of timing issues with them for whatever reason. Which sucks, they had gotten so good before I got hurt.

TOTALLY understand. That's how my flip has been. I had it beautifully before I got injured. Hang in there! It does come back! I promise. It just takes a darn long time. Bah! :frus: Oh, and I had it with a 3 turn into it...now I can't do that. Boo Hissssssssssss!

I was happy I landed it in my program for Wyandotte.

kander
01-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Deepening Dark: I blew out my back on a toe loop two weeks ago. It hurt so much I couldn't get my skates off. It'll probably be at least another couple weeks before I can think of getting back on the ice, and another couple weeks after that before I can think about jumping again :frus::(:frus::(