View Full Version : How much practice do you do before your lesson?

londonicechamp
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi guys

How much practice do you do before your lesson?

For me, personally, I tend to do between 30 minutes to 45 minutes practice before my lesson, as I find that if I do anything more than that, my lesson performance kind of slumped, due to the tiredness.

I do practice for another 30 minutes to 75 minutes after my lesson though.

londonicechamp

Skittl1321
01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I prefer for my lesson to be the first thing I do on a session. If I skate before my lesson, I'm often too tired to take the lesson. After a 30 minute lesson I will skate for 15 minutes, maybe 30 if my knees will put up with it.

I try to get practice time to be 1:1 with lesson time.
I have 2 lessons a week (1 group, 1 private) so I make sure to get 1 hour of practice in a week too.

Clearly, I'm not training to be a phenomenal skater.

Skate@Delaware
01-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately (for me) I am the last one schedule for my coach's block of lessons....for a two-hour chunk of time-I'm last. I have no choice so I putz getting ready and try to skate 45-60 minutes beforehand to warmup. Anything longer and I'm tired and getting too cold (my lesson rink is very cold).

If I'm early to take the ice, I leave for a few minutes and skip to the lobby to warm up and eat a small snack (fruit). Then I'm good for the remainder.

phoenix
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I try to get in a 20-30 minute warmup before my lesson. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and I definitely don't get as much accomplished then because 15 minutes of lesson time is getting my body moving the way it's supposed to!!

kayskate
01-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Usually, 30 minutes.
Kay

herniated
01-09-2010, 07:12 PM
about 30 mins also. I usually have my lesson on Monday so I have the rest of the week to practice. So after my lesson I skate two more days after that about 3 hours worth of practice.

NickiT
01-10-2010, 09:19 AM
For my free lessons I have the second lesson slot, so I get half an hour or practice before my lesson. However with dance I have none as I have the first slot.

Nicki

PinkLaces
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Most days, I get 20-25 minutes as I am the 2nd lesson on a 45 minute time slot. I usually do the 45 minute session right after as well. If I skate the hour session, my lesson is last so I get 40 minutes to warm up.

FSWer
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure when I'll get back down to the Rink in Newington,and if the amount of time will be the same. But I'd say for me about a half hr.-2hrs. at a Public Skate.

sk8joyful
01-11-2010, 05:24 AM
I know that's not what you meant, but in my case, my entire ice-time ;) IS my lesson, lol

RachelSk8er
01-11-2010, 08:25 AM
It depends on my coach's schedule and what time I roll my butt out of bed and into the rink before my lesson, but I generally don't like to be on the ice more than 30 min before my lesson. I get one 30-45 min lesson/week. Having my lesson early (after 10-15 min warmup time) is ideal so I have a few minutes to review what we did before I have to rush off the ice and get to work, but if I get the entire 45 min lesson in one chunk, I'm usually pretty tired after, especially if he makes me do a zillion run-thrus of my program or if we do dance.

Lately my coach has been alternating between me and another one of his skaters on the same 90 min session (i.e. 20 min with me for moves, then 20 min with her, then back to me for 20 min of freestyle, then back to her for dance or free or whatever). We both were injured, off the ice for a bit, and started lessons again right around the same time, and he started doing it that way so that we both have time between lessons to rest our respective injuries if we need to, but I really hope we just keep doing it that way. That really tends to work well because I have time to warm up moves, focus on moves during my lesson, then warm up freestyle and have another lesson. It helps us budget lesson time more effectively, too (so we don't get carried away on one discipline and run out of time for other things).

dance2sk8
01-11-2010, 09:00 AM
It depends on the day. I try to practice in between the days that I don't have my lesson with my coach. On the days that I have with her, it doesn't matter to me how much practice time I get in. On Saturdays. I end up with 2.5 hrs under my belt before my lesson with her. During the week, I usually have a 45 min session beforehand then I have lesson.

Wednesdays I have my lesson immediately. So I have no preference to when I have a lesson.