View Full Version : How many people in your family skate?

FSWer
01-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Say,how many people in your family skate? If all people in your family do. Please specify that your a Sk8family. I myself am the only skater in my family.

dbny
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Although my two daughters don't skate much anymore, they are both accomplished, and my husband skates too, so we really are a Sk8family!

Isk8NYC
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
We all skate, my husband recreationally and my oldest as college schedules permit. The twins and I skate every other day.

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
We all used to skate-me, hubby, daughter, and son (hockey). Now, it's just me....son is too busy in school (darn academics), daughter is in the military and has no time, hubby broke his foot and although he has made a few trips back on the ice since, he has pretty much hung up his skates (fear factor won).

It's too bad son has no time-the GIRLS would DIE! He is TALL at 14...almost 6' and slender!!!! and a fair skater as most hockey boys are (but not nasty or obnoxious but I'm partial). Daughter was a great skater, getting some doubles, maybe she can pick it up sometime recreationally.

Clarice
01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
My daughter and I are the skaters in our family. My husband gets out there once or twice a year recreationally, but my sons don't skate at all. I've taken my two-year-old granddaughter once so far - maybe she'll be the next skater in the family!

sk8ergalgal
01-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Well I was the first person to figure skate in my family.. father and brother have just done it recreationally but dont do it anymore as they have found other sports that interest them cross country skiing and curling. Now my cousin also skates and is getting quiet good.. she has her video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCe_6_6lzvE

londonicechamp
01-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi

I am currently the only skater in my family so far.

londonicechamp

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
My husband and I both skate; our daughter used to, but gave up when she went to university in a town without a rink, and now only skates occasionally at temporary rinks - and not at all this winter, for the very best of reasons!

Mel On Ice
01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
me - that's it

NickiT
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I was first to skate in my family and was skating before my children were born! My daughter is a very keen skater and my son more of a recreational skater, although he has come back to having lessons again! It's just my husband who doesn't skate!

Nicki

iSk8Dance
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
My wife and I skate - together.
Son and daughter used to skate
Son also used to be into roller blading and moved on to some other circus type things at university. Currently completing Masters, so no time. Does think that ice skaters look well preserved8-)

Daughter skated whilst at university but no time to get to rinks since working. Keeps hoping to get back on ice - especially as moving back to Europe from Asia soon.

No one else in the family skates - sister-in-law broke arm whilst roller-blading and had a bad fall when she tried ice.

sk8joyful
01-11-2010, 05:32 AM
My wife and I skate - together.

ooh, to be able to 'Skate with my Sweetie',
lol.
That will prolly be a riot, to say the least; hopefully we will be successful... :D

My daughter skates, lots better! than me; but then, Everybody does :mrgreen:

Muskoka Skater
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I am the only current skater in my family my sister and brother stopped skating years ago and nobody else in my family ever did skating.

Mainemom
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
My 77 year-old mother was the one who got us all started, by picking it up when she turned 60 something. She got me started in my late 40's and my older sister about the same. My younger brother started in his mid-30's and has been to Adult Nationals 4 times. My niece and nephew both skated from early on through their late teens but are now too busy with the rest of life, unfortunately. And my DD skates too, rings around me! And yes, my mom is still skating, two or more times a week, depending on how far she has to drive to a rink that's open. She's an inspiration and the embodiment of why I love skating so much - it's a life-time sport.

RachelSk8er
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm the lone figure skater in a big hockey family.

Dad played hockey in the minors (before I was born), was a high school hockey ref for quite a few years. My first memory being on ice is when I was 2, my mom and I would go to games my dad reffed and he would carry me around on the ice after the game. Dad coached my brother's teams for years, was the director for a local program, started the local junior league, and owned a rink for several years (late 90s) with his business partner. He got burned out and isn't doing anything right now, although I'm sure once my nephew gets on skates, he'll be involved.

My uncle on his side of the family also played as a kid/teenager. For years (70s-80s) he was the hockey director at one of the local rinks (he passed away 10 yrs ago). He didn't have any kids.

My uncle on my mom's side played hockey, worked in a skate shop for many years (he still occasionally plays in a pick-up men's league). He has 2 daughters (6 and 11) but they're too princessy to spend time in a cold ice rink or do anything where they might get sweaty or mess up their hair.

My mom skated recreationally growing up. She used to take my brother and I skating when we were kids, but hasn't been on ice since my younger brother was old enough to get around the ice on his own at public session (so probably 20 yrs).

My parents met at the rink, my dad worked there in high school. He was the cute zamboni driver (barf) when my mom used to go watch my uncle's games or go to public session with her friends.

Brother used to play hockey at the junior level, currently coaches high school. I guess he started playing pick-up once in a while.

Sister took learn-to-skate from age 3-7 but quit--she was a tomboy and figure skating was just too girly and she didn't want to play hockey. She went through a brief phase in junior high where she hung out at open skate on weekends with her friends, but hasn't skated since. (She currently is a college soccer player and swimmer).

My nephew (brother's kid) is almost a year and a half old, I'm sure he'll be on skates soon (only kid in my family). He says "ice skate," "auntie skate" and "hockey". My brother refuses to let him figure skate.

jazzpants
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
My big sister used to skate. Her "skate date" which I tagged along with her on was what started my skating habit as a kid. Then I stopped skating b/c my rink closed and I was busy. 10 years ago, I started up skating again. Now I'm pretty much the only skater in the family, though there was some interests on my big sister and my SIL's part to take their kid out to skate.

CanadianAdult
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
All of us. I don't play hockey (anymore) and the husband does not figureskate, but everyone else figureskates and hockeyskates. We're Canadian. It's a requirement ;)

sk8ryellow
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
My brothers and sisters used to skate when I was younger but then they all quit! Now its just my mom and I that skate.