View Full Version : 2010 Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational

dance2sk8
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Who's competing?! I am so uber excited! First competition, or as we like to call it, my debut! Info for those that need it is below:

Dates: January 23rd - 24th

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4144

PDF Document of Information (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CA0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usfigureskating.org%2FContent %2F2010DeborahBurgoyneInviteAnnouncement.pdf&rct=j&q=wyandotte+figure+skating%2Badult%2B2010&ei=YSdGS9eFJNOWlAeCv9Ub&usg=AFQjCNE6DXkDajvVD8SSJkHpFSQpD4osEQ&sig2=gKTXC24q_mea7_GCavtAsA)

http://www.wyandottefsc.com/

flying~camel
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm doing Interp 1 A/D.

sk8er1964
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I've signed up for three events. Who knows how many I'll actually do. I was a bit ambitious when I sent in the form.

Mel On Ice
01-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm in two events, interp and interp pairs.

dance2sk8
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I wanted to do interpretive so badly! BUT, my coach wanted me to focus on my program and compete within one event for my first time out there. Hopefully next year, interpretive dramatic will also be included for competition.

techskater
01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
FS and Interp program (interp is new A/D so who knows how that will look!)

flying~camel
01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Others from West MI that I know of are doing:

Silver 1
Silver 2
Gold 3
Masters Interp 3 A/D
Silver Solo Dance

We might also have people doing Pre-Bronze 2 and Masters Jr/Sr 1 but I don't know for sure that they signed up to do Wyandotte.

w.w.west
01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
http://newton.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4144

dance2sk8
01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
My stomach has butterfiles!!! Woohoo!!!

flying~camel
01-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Sweet, I don't skate til 5:13!

RachelSk8er
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Sweet! My first event is at 10-something and I'm done by 4. I can day trip it and save $ on a hotel.

The Leslie/Kim/Rachel show in Silver I will be fun!

flying~camel
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing the test session is going to be in the morning, since the competition doesn't start until 10am.

Becky is going to be taking her Novice moves test that day! My coach wanted me to retry Silver moves but I just don't feel ready, so I'm waiting until May (which will be at my home rink and more comfortable).

liz_on_ice
01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm guessing the test session is going to be in the morning, since the competition doesn't start until 10am.

Becky is going to be taking her Novice moves test that day! My coach wanted me to retry Silver moves but I just don't feel ready, so I'm waiting until May (which will be at my home rink and more comfortable).

Couldn't that be a problem, if you test up and disqualify yourself from your event? Not for moves obviously, but for freeskate tests?

Skittl1321
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Couldn't that be a problem, if you test up and disqualify yourself from your event? Not for moves obviously, but for freeskate tests?

I've never thought about that before- many competitions here have test sessions before them. I wonder how that is handled. Maybe with non-quals it can be "level at time of application", though I know with qualifying, you cannot test up in the meantime.

here you go, from pdf: Age and test qualifications as December 12, 2009 (close of entries), will determine classification.

Isk8NYC
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Usually, skating levels are determined by highest level passed at the time of entry deadline, not the actual competition date.

w.w.west
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Usually, skating levels are determined by highest level passed at the time of entry deadline, not the actual competition date.

Usually the case. Unless it is Adult Nationals or any other qualifying competitiion. A skater cannot pass any FS tests before the event higher than that which they entered.

flying~camel
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can admit to skating a 2nd event - Couples interp ;)

RachelSk8er
01-14-2010, 01:46 PM

In a dream world, I was going to try and test my junior moves at Wyandotte, but my ankle just started letting me do the powerpull pattern on the L foot and L inside rockers last week, and I am just starting to tackle choctaws again too. Hopefully I'll be ready by our test session here at the end of February.

Stormy
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Becky is going to be taking her Novice moves test that day!

GO Becky! I REALLY need to get my arse in gear after ANs and get my Novice moves out of the way. Considering I passed Intermediate like 4 or 5 years ago now....

RachelSk8er
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
GO Becky! I REALLY need to get my arse in gear after ANs and get my Novice moves out of the way. Considering I passed Intermediate like 4 or 5 years ago now....

Dude...I've got you beat in the moves test slacking/avoidance department, so no worries. It's took me 9 yrs to get serious about junior. If I still had Novice to do, I'd probably never do it now.

Mel On Ice
01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can admit to skating a 2nd event - Couples interp ;)

hope you bring your SILVER polish :halo:

flying~camel
01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
hope you bring your SILVER polish :halo:

I will, so you can borrow it ;)

FSWer
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Does that competition qualify you for anything?

flying~camel
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Does that competition qualify you for anything?

Nope, it's just an open, all-adult competition.

FSWer
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
BTW. are there any old pics of when she was alive and skating? As far as element or skating program pics go?

FSWer
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
HEY!! Someone please remember to post pics from the competition here for us to see. I'd love to see pics. Also,anyone have a link to pst pics of the competition and does the competition have a website? Thanks.

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I will, so you can borrow it ;)

OMG I can't wait for this event!!! It's going to be sweet!!! I need to get my butt to Target for some ridiculousness to throw.

I have to remember to bring my Snuggie. I have about 3 1/2 hrs between events.

dance2sk8
01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
HEY!! Someone please remember to post pics from the competition here for us to see. I'd love to see pics. Also,anyone have a link to pst pics of the competition and does the competition have a website? Thanks.

I have posted all available links in the first post of this thread. Thanks!

w.w.west
01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
OMG I can't wait for this event!!! It's going to be sweet!!! I need to get my butt to Target for some ridiculousness to throw.

I have to remember to bring my Snuggie. I have about 3 1/2 hrs between events.

I got a leopard print Snuggie for Christmas!

dance2sk8
01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Snuggies... :roll: who would have thought they'd be so popular. I refuse to buy one. LOL! :lol:

flying~camel
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Denise got most of us West MI skaters royal blue snuggies with the West MI Adult Skaters logo and our names embroidered on them ;)

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
^^That rules.

I'm glad I started such an awesome trend. I saw the jealousy on the West MI gang's faces when I rolled into Adults 4 Autism in a Snuggie. And had to compete with blue Snuggie fuzz all over my black dress and my tights because I didn't realize it would shed.

w.w.west
01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
^^That rules.

I'm glad I started such an awesome trend. I saw the jealousy on the West MI gang's faces when I rolled into Adults 4 Autism in a Snuggie. And had to compete with blue Snuggie fuzz all over my black dress and my tights because I didn't realize it would shed.

Speaking of Adults 4 Autism, we won't be able to have a competition this year due to judges availability because of the way Easter falls, High School Figure Skating States in Midland and AN being back to normal time. We are planning to do an exhibition on April 3 as a kind of "Sendoff to AN". But anyone will be invited to skate who wants to. There will be a small fee to cover ice costs but not as much as a comp. fee. We are still planning on doing silent auction too. More info. to follow and will have at Wyandotte this weekend!

RachelSk8er
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Speaking of Adults 4 Autism, we won't be able to have a competition this year due to judges availability because of the way Easter falls, High School Figure Skating States in Midland and AN being back to normal time. We are planning to do an exhibition on April 3 as a kind of "Sendoff to AN". But anyone will be invited to skate who wants to. There will be a small fee to cover ice costs but not as much as a comp. fee. We are still planning on doing silent auction too. More info. to follow and will have at Wyandotte this weekend!

Thanks for the update. It was a good competition last year (small, not stressful, and a nice warm-up for Nationals). I was wondering if you were hosting it, otherwise I was going to do a local competition the week before ANs. I might be interested in coming for the send-off if the dates work out, though. The local comp rotates among all the NE Ohio clubs and is an hour away this year, no adults above bronze ever sign up, so I'd end up competing against the oldest group of pre-juv instead. So 2 hrs to MI isn't a whole lot farther and might be more worthwhile.

Dave
01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Be sure to look in the stands. Someone is bringing a baby with him...

flying~camel
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM

There will be 2 babies in the stands since Leslie is bringing Briggs, too :)

FSWer
01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
There will be 2 babies in the stands since Leslie is bringing Briggs, too :)

Who's Leslie?

FSWer
01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
BTW. anyone know if the Deborah Buroryne will come were I am?

w.w.west
01-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Hooray....The Boy is coming!!

w.w.west
01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
BTW. anyone know if the Deborah Buroryne will come were I am?

Don't know where you are, but it is in Wyandotte, MI. It is not a qualifying competition so it does not move around.

flying~camel
01-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Who's Leslie?

She's another adult skater who has a baby.

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2010, 07:12 AM
I want a Snuggie! I had a lead on where they could be got cheap, but alas, not where I live.... but I console myself with the thought that in a couple of years they will be as ubiquitous as cheap pashminas.

Have a wonderful time at the competition, everybody - and do post photos!

RachelSk8er
01-19-2010, 08:13 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS to Will and Briggs, too!!! I'm gonna steal them!!!! Don't worry though, the second they cry or poop, you can have them back. So I guess that's not really stealing, it's more like borrowing.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Don't worry though, the second they cry or poop, you can have them back. So I guess that's not really stealing, it's more like borrowing.My sister used to say that that was called "grandparenting." lol That was before she became the Uber-Grandma who DOES change the kids.

rlichtefeld
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
BTW. are there any old pics of when she was alive and skating? As far as element or skating program pics go?

There is a photo of Deborah on the bottom of this page:
http://ic.net/~burgoyne/ice/intro.htm

I never met her, she had passed away before I got active in skating.

But, I know her husband quite well. Bill has been (as still is) very active in adult skating, and had the competition renamed after his late wife.

Bill is actually back skating after a couple of years off due to injuries and foot conditions. He is dancing now, instead of freeskating. He says it's easier on his knees.

Rob

Mel On Ice
01-24-2010, 07:54 AM
had a great time wearing all my hats!

FSWer
01-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone have pics from the competition?

flying~camel
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I had TONS of fun this weekend!

I finished 2nd out of 4 in Ladies & Men Artistic/Dramatic Interp I, III & V and 3rd out of 3 in Couples Interp!

The judges totally did not get our couples interp but I think we entertained the crowd and had fun doing it!

Don Korte will be posting full results and pictures from the competition on his site, sk8stuff.com, tomorrow.

flo
01-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Are the results posted?
Mrs. redboots - Send me your address!

dance2sk8
01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I had a great time for my debut as an adult skater. Everyone was so supportive and friendly. I was happy to skate clean other than a small touch down after my loop jump. I have a lot of work to do. Flying~camel, thank you for the cute little goodie that you threw out for me!!! I was totally touched. Everyone surprised me. I look forward to attending my next competition.

:)

flying~camel
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Flying~camel, thank you for the cute little goodie that you threw out for me!!! I was totally touched.

You're welcome! I'm all about the throwies :)

If you're still in Bronze II next season, I'll be in your group since I turn 31 in 2 weeks and have decided to stay in Bronze for 1 more year!

flying~camel
01-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Are the results posted?

Don Korte should have them up on his site tomorrow along with the photos he took (he took one of me mid-backbend, which should be interesting, LOL!) :)

dance2sk8
01-24-2010, 08:12 PM
You're welcome! I'm all about the throwies :)

If you're still in Bronze II next season, I'll be in your group since I turn 31 in 2 weeks and have decided to stay in Bronze for 1 more year!

I will be in Bronze II! At least for another year. :) I need to clean up some things, get more smoothness into my skating and also increase my jump ability and form. LOTS OF WORK! :)

RachelSk8er
01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I will be in Bronze II! At least for another year. :) I need to clean up some things, get more smoothness into my skating and also increase my jump ability and form. LOTS OF WORK! :)

Once you get more comfortable on the ice, with those crazy long legs you should be able to launch yourself into the air on your jumps. We have an adult skater here who is a silver II and she's 5'10. Her jumps were huge when she was competing (she's been off the ice for most of the past 2 yrs, baby then was back on the ice for about a year and then tore up some stuff in her knee and just had surgery). I'm jealous of you people.

dance2sk8
01-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Once you get more comfortable on the ice, with those crazy long legs you should be able to launch yourself into the air on your jumps. We have an adult skater here who is a silver II and she's 5'10. Her jumps were huge when she was competing (she's been off the ice for most of the past 2 yrs, baby then was back on the ice for about a year and then tore up some stuff in her knee and just had surgery). I'm jealous of you people.

We do fall harder. I promise. LOL!

Yeah, jumping higher is definitely my goal and having more refined jumps. There are times I surprise myself at how high I can get. But I plan on learning doubles down the road, so I better get some height. After competing, I am more motivated. I don't think we got a chance to meet in person, did we??? I met several people, and reconnected with a couple of others. I did get to meet Cindy...the Adult National Champ. She was hilarious! I liked her immediately. :)

RachelSk8er
01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
We do fall harder. I promise. LOL!

Yeah, jumping higher is definitely my goal and having more refined jumps. There are times I surprise myself at how high I can get. But I plan on learning doubles down the road, so I better get some height. After competing, I am more motivated. I don't think we got a chance to meet in person, did we??? I met several people, and reconnected with a couple of others. I did get to meet Cindy...the Adult National Champ. She was hilarious! I liked her immediately. :)

No, we didn't, I had 2 dance events right before you competed. I think we were in the same locker room, but I didn't know who you were until I was back in the stands after dance, your group was on the ice, and Jen pointed you out to me. After I changed out of my dance dresses, I was the really cool person running around in a Snuggie.

flying~camel
01-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I was the really cool person running around in a Snuggie.

You're an honorary WMAS by Snuggie proxy! ;)

flying~camel
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Photos are up!

http://evt.sk8stuff.com/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4144

RachelSk8er
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

http://www.sk8stuffmore.com/comp_pic9/naopen10_show/.scaled/DSC03157.JPG

daisies
01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds like everyone had a great time! Congrats to all!

I have what is probably a really stupid question, but I've always wondered this, so maybe someone has an answer. Why is this competition, as well as several others that are current topics on this board (NYI, Cleveland), labeled an "invitational"? You don't actually have to be invited to compete, do you?

(See, I told you it was a stupid question!)

flying~camel
01-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I think "back in the day," you did have to be invited to an invitational but nowadays I think its just used so everything doesn't have to be named "open."

vesperholly
01-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I think "Invitational" is just a pretty way of saying a competition, like "Classic". Although, it may have meant something different back in the day. My area used to have an inter-club competition for all the local club skaters only, and they called it an Invitational. The competition is still around, and still called an Invitational, but is no longer inter-club. Hm.

Mrs Redboots
01-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Never mind the skating - I'm just envious of the slanket/snuggie/whichever it is! Wants, wants, wants! Oh well, in five years' time they'll be ubiquitous in cheap shops - just wish they were right now this minute, as I'm cold!

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

http://www.sk8stuffmore.com/comp_pic9/naopen10_show/.scaled/DSC03157.JPG

Skittl1321
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Never mind the skating - I'm just envious of the slanket/snuggie/whichever it is! Wants, wants, wants! Oh well, in five years' time they'll be ubiquitous in cheap shops - just wish they were right now this minute, as I'm cold!

How much do they cost there? They are only about $15 here...
Is the price difference enough that it would be worth paying shipping too? I'd pick one up for you, if you'd pay me back

Mel On Ice
01-26-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought the Snuggie was stupid until I got one and looooooooooove it. Got home from the rink with that rink chill clinging to my skin and snuggled right in.

Isk8NYC
01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I think "Invitational" is just a pretty way of saying a competition, like "Classic". Although, it may have meant something different back in the day. My area used to have an inter-club competition for all the local club skaters only, and they called it an Invitational. The competition is still around, and still called an Invitational, but is no longer inter-club. Hm.
I used to skate at an Invitational competition back in the day where only certain clubs were sent entry forms, lol. It was just to level the playing field and keep the number of skaters to a sensible limit because they didn't have very much ice time available.

Ah, those were the days when you had too many competitors at figure skating competitions. I'm still shocked these days when I see that the stands empty out during the ice cuts as people leave to get awards and go home/out to eat. When I skated, it was an all-day thing and you stayed to watch and cheer on other skaters from your club. Maybe it just seemed that way because there were SO MANY people skating at the time.

My late mother gave each of us a light blue fleece blanket back in the 1970's. I still have mine (see: hoarding) and use it as a family room throw when I'm watching TV, or take it in the car for long trips. When DH bought the girls Snuggies, I remembered that my blanket has about eight snaps that, when closed, turn it into a long robe with sleeves and a cowl-neck collar. The kids thought this was great that the three of us could sit around in our monk robes, lol! So, I own the original Snuggie!

After teaching all afternoon/night at the rink, I love my heated car seats and, if I'm still chilled, a heating pad works wonders. The snuggie is good, but the heat is better.

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2010, 06:00 AM
How much do they cost there? They are only about $15 here...
Is the price difference enough that it would be worth paying shipping too? I'd pick one up for you, if you'd pay me back

They're about the same here; it's just a matter of being able to find one! I could probably order from Amazon or similar, or, at that, make my own! Sometimes a shop gets delivery of cheap ones, but they go in a few minutes. This will undoubtedly not be the case next year.