View Full Version : double 3 easier to practise than back 3s

londonicechamp
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi guys

Does anybody have this problem? I found that when I practised, I got a double 3 turn easily, though when I just tried to practise a back 3 turn (required for ISI freestyle level 4), it is a bit difficult to get the hang of it. Is that normal?

londonicechamp

Isk8NYC
01-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes - I love double back outside three turns. Add a fan kick and it floats.
It's mostly momentum carrying you through the turn and you don't have to use the back rocker as much.

The actual BO threes take more control and practice to master. Especially the power-pull FI edge to complete the turn. You have find that back rocker to really turn the three properly, so keep your weight back on your skate, towards the heel.

liz_on_ice
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes - I love double back outside three turns. Add a fan kick and it floats.
It's mostly momentum carrying you through the turn and you don't have to use the back rocker as much.

The actual BO threes take more control and practice to master. Especially the power-pull FI edge to complete the turn. You have find that back rocker to really turn the three properly, so keep your weight back on your skate, towards the heel.

but not too far :oops:

Isk8NYC
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
but not too far :oops:((Liz)) That's why I didn't say "turn on the heel." I usually tell students to turn on the instep of the foot. I'd rather have them scrape a little than take a splat.

It is really important to prerotate the shoulders to the back for the BO 3's. That way, it's just a "lift your toes inside your skate and turn the foot on the instep."

What's interesting is that it's easier to teach the BI3's with FO3 entrance. You teach them to do a double three (FO/BI) and it just clicks.

Petlover
01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Coach taught me to do double 3s first just for fun. It made it easier due to the momentum and kept me from being too scared at first :) . To this day, individual back 3s are harder, but I love them!

sk8rdad59
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi guys

Does anybody have this problem? I found that when I practised, I got a double 3 turn easily, though when I just tried to practise a back 3 turn (required for ISI freestyle level 4), it is a bit difficult to get the hang of it. Is that normal?

londonicechamp

Double 3's are definitely easier for me. I can do them both direction but have never been able to master a single back 3, I just cannot seem to find the right spot on the blade and always come to a grinding, stumbling halt. :(

vesperholly
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
They're probably easier because you're not checking the first turn at all. I have students who can do double threes because they just spin right through them. However, that is neither beneficial nor the correct technique, even for double threes. Both turns should be checked and controlled.

liz_on_ice
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
((Liz)) That's why I didn't say "turn on the heel." I usually tell students to turn on the instep of the foot. I'd rather have them scrape a little than take a splat.

it wasn't a B3 I went down on, but a back edge when I was concentrating on the correction about my weight being too far forward. Sounds like good advice - in fact today's lesson was all about keeping my weight in the middle. Good plan all around.

techskater
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
It is really important to prerotate the shoulders to the back for the BO 3's. That way, it's just a "lift your toes inside your skate and turn the foot on the instep."

Interesting, I am working on not using the shoulders at all going forward but only core muscles. It appears to one of my coaches that I use too much upper body and not enough core to create turns.

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I find double 3s easier, and twizzles easier still. Single back 3s - er, no! Well, occasionally, but they aren't great.

kayskate
01-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Definitely, I agree on the double back 3s being easier than single B3s. An exercise that has helped me w single BI3s is to do a back xover, hold the edge, position the free foot the turn the 3. The xover puts you on a strong BI edge. Often I will have a prob getting a good BI. If the BI is flatter, it is much harder to turn the 3. Also, this exercise is fun. The movement becomes fluid as you add xovers.

Kay

fsk8r
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Definitely, I agree on the double back 3s being easier than single B3s. An exercise that has helped me w single BI3s is to do a back xover, hold the edge, position the free foot the turn the 3. The xover puts you on a strong BI edge. Often I will have a prob getting a good BI. If the BI is flatter, it is much harder to turn the 3. Also, this exercise is fun. The movement becomes fluid as you add xovers.

Kay

And I find this exercise makes the bi3 harder to turn as I need to get my weight over the skating foot and shoulders prerotated to do this turn. Any other way into the bi3, as in step onto the inside edge and turn I don't have a problem.

Kat12
01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I haven't been practicing B3s in a while, but when I was I was always astonished at how far back on my heel I had to go. I always felt like I was lifting my toe way up! But that's how it worked. If I didn't feel my rock back to the heel was ridiculous, I'd scrape the whole way through.

katz in boots
01-08-2010, 01:48 AM
It is really important to prerotate the shoulders to the back for the BO 3's.

I originally learned by rotating arms & shoulders first, then the down up down to allow the hips to follow. My latest coach won't let me do this! I have to do say a RBO3 with my head turned to the R, inside the circle, no pre-rotation of shoulders at all. It's really hard ! She said it has to be done this way for loop jumps, but I don't think it's correct for figure-style BO3s.

techskater
01-09-2010, 05:23 AM
BI 3s are easiest set to turn if you pretend your arms are the bow of a ship/boat and you turn your upper body to look out over the bow