View Full Version : What Level are you at this New year?

FSWer
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!! Since we have just turned over a New Year. I'd like to know what Level everyone is this year? Please include your Discipline(s) and Level for each this year. I am still Adult1 Learn to Skate. GO!!!!

sk8ryellow
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I am in singles skating and am staying Novice for the new season!

FSWer
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I am in singles skating and am staying Novice for the new season!

I always thought you moved up a level each year as long as you pass it.

Clarice
01-06-2010, 05:39 AM
You do move up a level when you pass the next test, but you can schedule the test any time you want. Many skaters stay at a level for more than one year. There are two levels that have upper age limits - for Juvenile the skater has to be under age 13, and for Intermediate under age 18. Otherwise, you can stay at a level as long as you want.

flying~camel
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Competitively, I am staying in Bronze until the 2011-2012 season (though I am not competing in freestyle for the 2009-2010 season).

I am hoping to take & pass the Silver moves, Pre-Juvenile moves and Preliminary freestyle tests this year, though.

liz_on_ice
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm a Pre-Bronze lady, I'm planning to move up to Bronze
ISI I'm FS3, planning to test FS4 this year.

I had been working towards both tests in the spring, but I had a major setback and much recovery to do. I think it is still realistic before next Jan though.

FSWer
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
You do move up a level when you pass the next test, but you can schedule the test any time you want. Many skaters stay at a level for more than one year. There are two levels that have upper age limits - for Juvenile the skater has to be under age 13, and for Intermediate under age 18. Otherwise, you can stay at a level as long as you want.

So if you YOURSELF as a Skater feel your not ready to test. You can postpone it for as long as you want,rigt?

CoachPA
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Discipline: Ice dance
Level: International

FSWer
01-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Discipline: Ice dance
Level: International

What is the International Level?

Clarice
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
So if you YOURSELF as a Skater feel your not ready to test. You can postpone it for as long as you want,rigt?

That's right. And I should clarify that the upper age limits for Juvenile and Intermediate really only apply to competing, not testing. A person of any age can take and pass the tests. It's just if you're older than the limit, you wouldn't be able to compete at that level. For instance, you and I are both older than 18, so if we wanted to compete on the standard track (instead of the adult track), we'd have to keep moving up until we passed the Novice test since we're too old for Juvenile or Intermediate.

Skittl1321
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
What is the International Level?

That is the highest level for dance. It is after Gold.

My levels:
USFSA Freeskate LTS: in Freestyle 4 classes (hope to pass by middle of year)
USFSA Freestyle: Pre-Bronze (hope to be Bronze by end of year)
USFSA MITF: Bronze
USFSA Dance: No-Test (hope to be Preliminary by end of year)
ISI: Freestyle 3

FSWer
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
That's right. And I should clarify that the upper age limits for Juvenile and Intermediate really only apply to competing, not testing. A person of any age can take and pass the tests. It's just if you're older than the limit, you wouldn't be able to compete at that level. For instance, you and I are both older than 18, so if we wanted to compete on the standard track (instead of the adult track), we'd have to keep moving up until we passed the Novice test since we're too old for Juvenile or Intermediate.

So your saying you can only compete once you hit Juv. right?

Clarice
01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
So your saying you can only compete once you hit Juv. right?

No, there are competitions for skaters at all levels. Basic Skills competitions have events for skaters at the Learn to Skate levels. But for Qualifying Competitions (which are Regionals, Sectionals, and Nationals), yes, you have to be at least Juvenile level. That is the lowest Qualifying level. An adult skater has to be at least Bronze level for free skating or Pre-Bronze for dance in order to compete at Adult Nationals.

Edited to add my USFS levels:
Free Skate: Silver
Moves in the Field: Gold
Dance: Pre-Bronze
Figures: Preliminary
I'll most likely stay at these same levels this year, although I'd like to give the First Figure Test a try.

phoenix
01-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Still pre-gold dance, but hopefully will pass up to gold during this year!

Also hopefully will pass up to Bronze FS this year, though I won't be competing FS.

FSWer
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
No, there are competitions for skaters at all levels. Basic Skills competitions have events for skaters at the Learn to Skate levels. But for Qualifying Competitions (which are Regionals, Sectionals, and Nationals), yes, you have to be at least Juvenile level. That is the lowest Qualifying level. An adult skater has to be at least Bronze level for free skating or Pre-Bronze for dance in order to compete at Adult Nationals.

Edited to add my USFS levels:
Free Skate: Silver
Moves in the Field: Gold
Dance: Pre-Bronze
Figures: Preliminary
I'll most likely stay at these same levels this year, although I'd like to give the First Figure Test a try.

COOL!!!!!! You mean you can be just a Learn to Skate Skater and compete? Does anyone know what Level Skaters compete in a Learn to Skate competion? Also do they devide Disciplines like a reg. competition? How does one work btw? What would I expect to see in one? Interesting!!!

Clarice
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=335

This link should take you to the USFS Basic Skills Competition Manual. In it you will find tables of the different events for the different Basic Skills levels. There are events with no music (called Elements for Basic 1-8 and Compulsory for Free Skate 1-6) where the skater is given a list of things to show the judges. There are also Program events, which are regular programs with music. Again, the skaters are given a list of things for their level that they have to include in their programs. They can include things from lower level lists, but not from higher levels. Basic Skills competitions can also include other events, like Showcase, Spins, Dance, etc. It's all in the manual.

FSWer
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Are there any pics of a Basic Skills competition? So there's nothing like Pairs,etc. right?

sdfigureskater
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
As far as levels... Well I'm 44yrs old and I'm at a FS 4 level. I have the singles and I'm working up the nerve to start in on doubles. I've haven't tested since returning to skating about seven months ago. when I left 27yrs ago I had a good axel, 2toe,2sal,2flip (but not consistant). I need to take my coaches advice and start testing. I think I'm just being lazy :) My spins are stronger than my jumps at this point. (I'm on youtube "sk8g4fun") Good tips are always welcome :) The idea of competing kind of freaks me because for some reason I become more of an introvert on the ice!? I wonder if there are many people my age competing? Does anyone know? Hmm...

Clarice
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Are there any pics of a Basic Skills competition? So there's nothing like Pairs,etc. right?

I've never seen a Pairs event at a Basic Skills competition, but a club could choose to offer it. There are Learn to Skate levels for Pairs.

techskater
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I know it's not part of the LTS champions series (in IL) for Pairs.

londonicechamp
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi FSWer

I am a freestyle skater. I am currently in ISI FS level 3, my coach is starting to teach me some of the FS level 4 stuff already.

londonicechamp

sk8joyful
01-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Since we have just turned over a New Year.
I'd like to know what Level everyone is this year? Please include your Discipline(s).
I am still Adult1 Learn to Skate.

Beginner here, perpetually...

(even Master-level skaters, when learning new tricks, are
also a "beginner" at that stage; so I'm in good company, eh?) ;)