View Full Version : A question about the term "Element".

FSWer
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Ok..I've been wondering about this. But does anyone know if when you learn a move or teach yourself a move at a Public Skate,if the term "Element" applys? Would you say for ex. that since I'm able to skate on my Outside Edge,that I have "my Outside Edge"? Or that I'm doing an Element? Thanks.

phoenix
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd say that you would not call it an element, just an "outside edge".

"Elements" typically are the main "tricks" in a program--such as each jump is an element, each spin is an element, etc. I believe you might also call the entire footwork sequence an "element", as it's one of the requirements.

Clarice
01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes, I've seen "element" used as phoenix described. For singles and pairs, that would include jumps or jump combinations, spins or spin combinations, step sequences, spiral sequences, lifts and throws. For synchro, it would mean circles, blocks, wheels, lines, intersections, Moves in the Field, or Movements in Isolation. In dance, it refers to things like lifts, dance spins, step sequences, and twizzles.

sk8rdad59
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
The things that are marked in a freeskate are elements or combinations of elements. An outside edge is not really an element but is basic to doing certain elements. Those things that are referred to as sequences or combos are made up of multiple elements. For example, a step sequence is made up of various turns (3 turn, choctaw etc), figures (loops etc) and other elements like twizzles, walleys etc.

To add confusion some elements while not marked outright in competition are "elemental" if you will to the PCS scores they are used in between the marked elements to create variety these are typically the "moves in the field" elements.

FSWer
01-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd say that you would not call it an element, just an "outside edge".

"Elements" typically are the main "tricks" in a program--such as each jump is an element, each spin is an element, etc. I believe you might also call the entire footwork sequence an "element", as it's one of the requirements.

So,it's basicly only used if you use moves as PART of a Program. In which case,we call each move an element. But by themselves there just a type of move,right?

sk8rdad59
01-05-2010, 07:07 AM
So,it's basicly only used if you use moves as PART of a Program. In which case,we call each move an element. But by themselves there just a type of move,right?

It's mostly semantics and "element" does have more of a connotation of something that would be marked. For example an double axel would be considered an element when being worked on in isolation. It can be called an element or a move outside a program. But simply being able to skate on a particular edge wouldn't classify as a move per se. The most basic "move" or "element" that requires only an outside edge would be a "outside edge swing roll". This is an integral move/element of many basic ice dances.

blue111moon
01-05-2010, 07:29 AM
To make things more confusing, though, in the USFS Basic Skills curriculum, the individual skills needed to pass each badge level are refered to as "elements." In Basic 4, Skill A says "Forward outside edge on a circle, right and left" so if you learned that, then you can say you know that element of the level. Skill B is "Forward inside edge on a circle, right and left." There are a total of 7 "elements" or skills that make up the Basic 4 badge level.

I think that's closer to what FSWer is asking about.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2010, 08:49 AM
The USFSA has a curriculum online for the entire Basic Skills program, including the Adult and Special Skater badges.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/BS-overview.pdf

sk8rdad59
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
To make things more confusing, though, in the USFS Basic Skills curriculum, the individual skills needed to pass each badge level are refered to as "elements." In Basic 4, Skill A says "Forward outside edge on a circle, right and left" so if you learned that, then you can say you know that element of the level. Skill B is "Forward inside edge on a circle, right and left." There are a total of 7 "elements" or skills that make up the Basic 4 badge level.

I think that's closer to what FSWer is asking about.

True Canskate also tends to give out badges for every little thing too. The kiddies love them! So from that perspective I agree you can consider each forward and backward gliding edge and element.