View Full Version : Anyone have "Pink Panther" cut to 1:30?

phoenix
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I know this is a lot to ask, but I had a parent just call me to tell me her dd wants to change her program to Pink Panther (5 weeks before competition!!!!!!!!!!!). I see her tomorrow, and need to have music cut by then so we can get started on new choreography. (yes, I know it's ridiculous, don't get me started!)

By any chance does anyone have that piece already cut as an mp3 that could be emailed? Time limit is 1:30 for restricted pre-pre. Didn't really have messing w/ cutting music on the docket for tonight, 2 days before I leave for Christmas!!! :frus::frus::frus:

Stormy
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
You know, I might. I did it as an exhibition program and I think it was that time. Let me go look.....

Stormy
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I have it. It's not the best cut, and it's 1:35. It might be a start though? I can e-mail it if you want to PM me your e-mail.

RachelSk8er
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of you, but I see you got to it first :)

Schmeck
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
phoenix, I hope you charge the parents a pretty penny for this - and I'm amazed that the parents get to pick the music. That's unheard of here - the coach picks, and the kids/parents get some input, but the coach has the final say. Don't you have to come up with a new program to go with the music too?

londonicechamp
12-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi phoenix

I thought that you should be the one who chooses your student's music and not the other way round. :o

You should really ask the student's parents to pay more, coz of this.

londonicechamp

phoenix
12-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, this is kind of a wierd situation.

What we're doing is keeping the exact same program as before, just swapping out the music. It actually works, thank heaven!

This is a very young beginner with a lot of talent, who I'm trying to get excited about competing, so right now it's less about the formal structure of "how we do things" and more about getting her the experience of competition and having fun with it. There's a lack of drive right now, and I'm trying to see if I can get a fire lit in her....so am being more flexible than I would be w/ an older skater who had more discipline.

I did have a talk w/ the mom, that in the future when she's a little older things would be done differently. They are new to the skating world & don't know yet how much of anything works.....so I'm working on educating them too---but I'm less rigid about the "rules" at this point and more interested in getting them all on board to support her skating and seeing how far we can get her to go.

RachelSk8er
12-24-2009, 08:56 AM
phoenix, I hope you charge the parents a pretty penny for this - and I'm amazed that the parents get to pick the music. That's unheard of here - the coach picks, and the kids/parents get some input, but the coach has the final say. Don't you have to come up with a new program to go with the music too?

I think music picking around here is a little bit of both. The skater or parent go to the coach with music ideas, the coach may have some suggestions for them as well. It all depends on the age and level of the skater, what type of music they like and what suits their skating best, etc. But usually it's a mutual decision at least between the coach and skater.

When I was younger I always picked my music and my coach was always OK with what I chose (but I was pretty much a geek and into classical music and that sort of stuff). Since my mom made me re-use synchro dresses from previous seasons versus buying new costumes that I'd outgrow, I had to choose according to what was already in my closet.
When I was 11-12 my coach even let me do my own choreography. I really didn't like how she had a whole stockpile of cookie cutter programs with music/choreography that were recycled from skater to skater, I wanted something that was my own.

Usually synchro coaches have control over music selection, although the one club I coached at, I was handed a CD of music that was already cut by the parents who were on the board and told "this will be the junior team's music." It was really bad Yanni with no real beat and I had to work with it all year. They had skated to it the year before. They didn't even want to hear any of my ideas or the programs I had cut, I guess at this club somehow music became the decision of a group of parents and not the coach.

vesperholly
12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I always picked my own music, but I was a stubborn teenager. :halo:

I actually skated to Pink Panther years ago, but it's a 2:10 cut, not 1:30.

RachelSk8er
12-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I always picked my own music, but I was a stubborn teenager. :halo:

You? Really? I'd never guess :P

(Not that I wasn't either :halo:)