View Full Version : Where did you take your Learn to Skate Program?

FSWer
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Say,I hope this isn't too personal. But I was wondeing were everyone here took their Learn to Skate Program? I took mine at Newington Arena. What about all of you?

jazzpants
12-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Yerba Buena in San Fran!!! I was fortunate to have some really good ones (including the guy that ended up as my current primary coach now!!! :bow: ) Of course, you take the good with the bad... and the bad ones are ultimately the ones that ended up driving me out of skating school (well, that and a fellow skater had asked "What are you doing still in skatng school? Get outta there!!!") :P

londonicechamp
12-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi

Well, I took my LTS programme in Cityplaza, Taikooshing, of Hong Kong, more than 10 years ago.

londonicechamp

iSk8Dance
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Pleased to say that they didn't have a 'Learn to Skate' program when I started - more than 35 years ago in the UK. The only option was private lessons - but have been on some pretty good group courses over the years at the rink. That's more a tribute to the coaches there than any national co-ordinated scheme (they eventually had to adjust the rink courses to fit in with the national scheme).

Our kids learnt to skate via a mixture of group courses (by that time the rink did its own learn-to-skate program), club time and private lessons.

I can understand some of the emphasis on basic elements on some of these programs for those who might want to go on and compete, but sometimes feel that there can be too much emphasis on some of these elements in isolation from their application for adults looking at recreational skating. I sometimes find it quite depressing when I see the courses running at my local rink and see the same adults there still trying to master some element they're unlikely to use, but need to do it to get to the next level, whilst having neither a simple free program nor being able to do some basic recreational dance.

I see loads of stats saying how many people took part in these programs, but nothing on how many are still in skating.

What's your experience? Are the wrong metrics being used to judge the 'success' of these programs?

RachelSk8er
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Greenbriar Ice Rink in Parma Hts., Ohio (which is no longer an ice rink but an indoor soccer facility :() from 1984-1989 or 90 (tiny tots, regular LTS, then junior club).