View Full Version : Adult Canadians, Getting Skate Canada to act...

singerskates
10-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Getting Skate Canada to act...

In trying to motivate Skate Canada to start a Canadian Adult National
Skating Championships, ee adult skaters have to all pester Skate
Canada continually. And if we all have a group such as Competitive
Adult Skaters to organize ourselves we should be more effective in
pestering Skate Canada to act. Plus, as a group, we could get
financial backing and again pester Skate Canada. I mean we could have
everything planned out to the last detail with financial backing from
sponsors and then they'd have to give in.

Brigitte a.k.a. singerskates
Group Owner compadultsk8s
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/compadultsk8s/

Any ideas in getting sponsors?

CanAmSk8ter
10-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Just wanted to say good luck. I'm not sure how you would go about getting sponsors. I don't think the U.S. has sponsors for its Adult Nationals. I guess you could start by writing to skating-related companies in Canada- maybe Mondor? The thing is that since adult competitions don't get TV coverage or reach large numbers of people, I don't think most companies are going to consider it a great investment, regardless even of how much they may support the idea of an Adult Nationals. That's why it's probably best to go after skating-related corporations; they wouldn't be reaching large numbers of people, but if the people they are reaching are all skaters, then they'd all be potential buyers/subscribers/whatever of their product. Before giving you money, I would think any potential sponsor is going to want to have some idea of how many people will be seeing their ad(s). The first step, then, is probably to get a rough idea of how many skaters would be interested in attending an Adult Nats in Canada, which I know you're working on already.

I have to wonder, though, if the numbers and/or interest are really there in Canada. I know you've been working on this for quite awhile, but unless you're getting a lot of PM's, I haven't seen many messages of "yeah, I want to do this and I'll do whatever I can to help" from other adult skaters in Canada. How common is adult skating in Canada? Do most clubs have a fair number of adult members? Do most rinks offer separate Learn-to-Skate classes for adults? I assume this may also vary from area to area, too.

Either way, keep at it. Also, try to get SC and the clubs to promote beginning lessons for adults. If they do some aggressive recruiting of adult beginners, maybe you'll have more people in a few years who are willing to go with you on this. Good luck!

arena_gal
10-11-2002, 05:24 PM
You need your section behind you to work with Skate Canada. Who is on that Adult Skating Advisory Committee?

Look how long it took Skate Canada to finally have a national Interclub competition (it starts this year) and how many thousands of skaters compete on that level. There were many requests for this type of event. I don't believe Adult skating in Canada has that kind of numbers, although it is important enough for Skate Canada to have struck a committee.

Lee
10-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Adult skating is really in its infancy in Canada. It's going to be some time before the numbers warrant the investment in time and money in an adult national event. In order for it to be truly 'national,' there will need to be more than just a few sections with active adult competitive programs. Even the the STARSkate Challenge is only having select events in its inaugural year, and will take place at the same time/place as the National Festival Synchro event.

While it's all well and good to show your interest in adult nationals, things do happen in due course. I think *some* patience is warranted in this instance.

singerskates
10-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by arena_gal
You need your section behind you to work with Skate Canada. Who is on that Adult Skating Advisory Committee?

Look how long it took Skate Canada to finally have a national Interclub competition (it starts this year) and how many thousands of skaters compete on that level. There were many requests for this type of event. I don't believe Adult skating in Canada has that kind of numbers, although it is important enough for Skate Canada to have struck a committee.

I wrote my Athlete Chair person to find out if we even have an Adult Skating Advisory Committee in the Western Ontario Section (WOS). Wonder if I'll get back an email with the info.

Brigitte

lizzz
10-13-2002, 09:43 PM
I agree that it will be a while to get anything as big as a national competition together. There was a western Challenge last year in Calgary and although it made it in the newletter in skate canada, There were still only 50 or so skaters. Many events only had 2-3 skaters in them. It was great to see and be at but we in Canada have a long way to go.
Locally I am entering the kid competitions because there are ususally no adult events offered. Because of this, a couple of the local competitions are going to offering adult categories. That really is a huge change because two years ago that would not have happened. There are only a few of us in this area but as long as we stay at it it will slowly grow.
Many adults have not thought about competing here and many do not want to. If I and a few other show what fun we have doing it perhaps we can help change their minds!
AT my club I know of 3 moms who have started can- skate lessons because of seeing me and another adult out there every day. I encourage them when I can!
This is just going to be a slow process but as long as I can continue to compete whether in the kid categories or the adult ones. I am happy. I'll compete anywhere!:lol: