View Full Version : Skating tights in natural colors

ChezB
11-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm relatively new to skating and am just starting to get some things together for testing in dance. I'm having a hard time finding tights in any color than "suntan." My skin is really fair and suntan color on me looks like...well, like sprayed-on suntan. I managed to get some nude Capezio skating tights but they were not nude at all - very dark and orange-y (and they ran the second time I wore them!) Any ideas where to get a true nude color heavy skating tight for adults, either footed or footless (not over the boot)? Thanks for any advice!

liz_on_ice
11-29-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. Danskin 'suntan' is the lightest shade I've found so far.

falen
11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
danskin ultra shimmery tights in "light toast". If not in stock, don't bother with the "classic light toast" which is only a bit lighter than the suntan. It looks greyish on screen but don't worry.

http://www.danskin.com/women-legwear-2331.html#danskin

these are stirrup

liz_on_ice
11-29-2009, 07:45 PM
danskin ultra shimmery tights in "light toast". If not in stock, don't bother with the "classic light toast" which is only a bit lighter than the suntan. It looks greyish on screen but don't worry.

http://www.danskin.com/women-legwear-2331.html#danskin

these are stirrup

doh, I think it is the light toast that I have. Not shimmery though. They work ok, another fairskinned skater asked me at a comp what manufacturer they were since they were noticeably lighter than she'd found so far.

RachelSk8er
11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Back when I had tan skates that were a really light tan color (as opposed to the darker Harlick shade), I had a heck of a time finding tights that matched. I wore some off-brand, I can't even remember what they were, but they sold them at the pro shop in my college's rink. Maybe try some dance web sites? Or I just wore regular easy-to-find brands (Mondor, Danskin), but I washed them a few times so that they faded a lot.

got2sk8
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Try Capezio as well...I think that I have seen their tights in a lighter color.

herniated
11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Like Rachelsk8er suggested try dance web sites. One is Discount dance wear and/or dancewear solutions. They have many different brands and thier sales people are pretty knowledgeable.

SkaterBird
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Bloch Endura dance tights are nice, and their Light Tan color isn't too dark - I think it is the most natural-looking of the tan tights colors. You can get them online on dancewear websites.

ChezB
12-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice! I thought I would also check out convertible tights for dance. I'd have to wear 2 pairs, I think, but the colors look good and I could wear them as either footless or footed. Any experience with convertible tights for skating?

herniated
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I have experience with the convertable and BLEAH!! If you keep the foot part on you feel the seam on the bottom of your foot, very uncomfortable. At least for me. And then I tried to just not wear the foot part but it kind of bunches up around the ankle unless it is a very thin tight. Just very weird.

Again, this is my experience and I don't like them. lol

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Unless you really want over-boot tights, check out the selection of 40 denier tights in your local department store this winter. There's one here that does really good tights with almost no thigh line - not so's you'd notice on the ice, anyway - and they may well have a better range of colours for you.

RachelSk8er
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice! I thought I would also check out convertible tights for dance. I'd have to wear 2 pairs, I think, but the colors look good and I could wear them as either footless or footed. Any experience with convertible tights for skating?

Do you mean the body tights? My synchro team wore Danskin body tights (which were actually a light color now that I think of it, but we always wore Mondors over them) and I still wear them now sometimes.

I liked the concept and it eliminated the nice waist bump you get from 2 pr of normal tights. However, I found the Danskin tights to be really thin/flimsy and they ran really easily. The straps have plastic hooks and they break right away so I just replaced them with new straps w/metal hooks. The tights were the footed type with the hole underneath the foot. This really didn't bother me, it was kind of nice to be able to get the tights off my feet after skating and put on shoes/socks (or flip flops) between multiple events or before driving home from practice (if I didn't change first) without having to take tights off.

TreSk8sAZ
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Convertible tights are tights which have a cutout in the ball of the foot so they can be worn footless or pulled down over the foot to be worn as footed tights. I wore them a LOT when I was dancing as we would often wear them footless for soft shoe work and footed for pointe work. I've only worn them a few times skating. I was used to them, so I didn't feel the seam like herniated did. What I did notice (and it might just have been mine) was they ran like crazy because they were much thinner than skating tights. I can see if you aren't used to the cutout on the bottom where you might feel it.

They look like this (though hard to see in this photo) http://www.danskin.com/womens-legwear-725.html#danskin or better picture: http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/tights/T90.aspx