View Full Version : Coming back post skating injury...

got2sk8
11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't post very often, but I am seeking some insight from skaters that have injured themselves skating and what they go through when they come back to the ice. I realize that the skater, the injury, and psyche of the person all play a factor.

I have been skating for 10 years. I am an adult and I compete at USFS and various ISI competitions. I live, eat, sleep, and breathe skating...when I am not working. In September I fell during my prejuv MIF on a stupid RFO 3 turn. I smacked my knee into the ice. I was mortified because I did it right in front of the judges. I don't know how I recovered to even get myself in the right direction picking up from where I left off, but I did. I finished the test.

Then, 5 weeks later I duplicated the injury on footwork and had to be carried off the ice. To sum it up: I had knee surgery two weeks later. They fixed some level 4 arthritis on the knee (rounded it out), fixed a meniscus tear, and removed some bone fragments. I have had a complete ACL reconstruction on the other knee so this was fairly mild in comparison.

Therapy is going nicely and I am now doing the elliptical for 20 minutes in the a.m. and 20 in the p.m. I find my biggest challenge is mental. I am so longing for the ice, but I also worry a bit that I am going to refrain from being as intense as I used to be. I don't want that to happen. I don't want to be scared. I am used to (was) taking whatever abuse the sport demanded to work on my elements. The axel is my most recent challenge and that has resulted in many falls, but I never minded because I was working toward something that I have dreamed of for a long time.

Can any of you share your experience with me on how you made your comeback and what mental process you went through to regain your confidence? Thanks so much for reading.

Audryb
11-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I haven't been injured skating, so I can't help with that directly, however I would really recommend the skating safe ultracrash knee pads. I know a lot of people here use them and swear by them. I finally broke down after taking a really nasty fall on back crossovers where my coach had to help me up.

I actually made myself a pair out of a wheelchair pad based on some suggestions from this board. I posted pics and a detailed explanation of how I did it. I don't post much, so it should be easy to find. The polymer used in these particular pads is thin, so it makes for very low profile pads, yet it is really really impact absorbent. I put mine on and intentionally fell on my knees from higher and higher up to prove to myself that they'd protect me :lol: and that did the trick. I don't hesitate on anything because I'm afraid I'll fall on my knees.

liz_on_ice
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Therapy is going nicely and I am now doing the elliptical for 20 minutes in the a.m. and 20 in the p.m. I find my biggest challenge is mental. I am so longing for the ice, but I also worry a bit that I am going to refrain from being as intense as I used to be. I don't want that to happen. I don't want to be scared. I am used to (was) taking whatever abuse the sport demanded to work on my elements. The axel is my most recent challenge and that has resulted in many falls, but I never minded because I was working toward something that I have dreamed of for a long time.

Can any of you share your experience with me on how you made your comeback and what mental process you went through to regain your confidence? Thanks so much for reading.

My first experience was to go charging back onto the ice within days of my doctor telling me I could. Second time on the ice, I injured myself again. I'm now healing from the second injury, and wondering the same things you are. I think we need a support group for victims of the more serious side effects of AOSS.

TreSk8sAZ
11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I've had two knee surgeries in the past two years. Both were from the same fall (which I luckily don't remember), but I didn't know I'd injured the second as badly as I had. I'm on Intermediate MITF, at Silver FS (working on axels and doubles when I got hurt) and working on pre-silver/silver dances.

The first time I came back it was after three months - arthroscopic fixing of arthritis, taking some cartilage out, etc.. I did moves and dance for a week, starting from the beginning. I mean, literally stroking around and doing crossovers until I was comfortable doing that. Then starting to add things that were "second nature" to me like comfortable three turns, doing dances and progressives, and going back to pre-pre moves through juv moves. I did things slowly until I was comfortable adding more speed.

This last time, I had a large portion of the bone in my knee taken out along with arthritis, fixing some other things, etc. I was off the ice for a year. It was a lot different coming back this time as I'd been off so long I wasn't comfortable even stroking. The best thing for me has been to *slowly* come back. I literally started by doing 30 minutes at a time, doing stroking and crossovers. After a couple of weeks I was doing more, such as crossover patterns, dance patterns, etc.

I've had to play mental games with myself. Things that I normally did without thinking I could not do at all, which was hard for me to adjust to. I'd do something I was comfortable with (like a LFO3) then make myself do something similar the other way. In order to get myself to do a RFO3 I went back to two foot turns. Even though I was actually doing it on one foot, the second was around the ice so I could trick myself into thinking it wasn't as hard.

I also started doing the same things every day. I would do stroking, crossovers, crossover patterns, power pulls, MITF patterns from lower levels, and the slide chasse pattern from Intermediate. I couldn't do all of them full out right away, so I might do half patterns or 2 LFO3s without the back ones, etc. Once I was able to do the intermediate pattern completely, I added another intermediate pattern. I would spend x number of minutes on spins each day, x number of minutes on certain patterns, and limit myself to those things until the last 5 minutes when I could "play" with things I knew I could do but weren't comfortable yet.

Also, focus on some part of your body that *wasn't* the cause of the injury. So, if your foot got stuck on a RBO3, for example, focus on your shoulders or arms until you can get yourself to do it. It really was a matter of making myself think things were easier and getting comfortable with focusing on something else in order to get myself to do the skills.

Isk8NYC
11-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Years ago, I had a bout with the flu ago and came back on the ice full force after two weeks in bed with no exercise. Within 30 minutes, I had pulled a muscle in my lower back after a hard landing and ended up back in bed for another two weeks on painkillers and muscle relaxants. I essentially doubled my time off the ice by being macho, lol.

Sk8pics successfully planned her return to the ice after a major injury (broken ankle) - she didn't just go back and try to pick up where she left off, she eased back into it, initially focusing on the elements that made her more stable on the ice.

I think that was a very sensible approach and I wish I had done the same.

RachelSk8er
11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm coming back from a nasty wicked sprain and hairline fracture in my left ankle (not from figure skating). I've been skating my whole life, but fortunately have had very few serious injuries (2 concussions, stitches in my shin), so having to stay off the ice and basically do nothing but work and go to school for 4 weeks was a new, horrible experience. (Even when I've taken a few months off of skating here and there, mostly during college, I was still working out several hours a day). I'm one of those people who only really operates at 2 speeds---gogogogogo and asleep, so sitting around for a month and then having to take it easy have been hard.

I knew that I would have to take things slow once I got back on the ice, but the emotional difficulty of that did not hit me until my first time back on the ice (just over a week ago). My skate hurt like hell because my ankle is still swollen and my boot puts pressure on it. First day back I could not do anything, not even crossovers or 3 turns. I had planned to go way way way back to the beginning (pre-pre moves) and focus on the skills on those patterns, and even something stuipd and simple like edges on my L foot has been hard (ankle is wobbly and it's painful to hold the edge for too long). I actually got really upset and started crying, since just 4 weeks earlier I had been working on axels, double toes, double sals, and was getting my junior moves ready to test (had to w/d from that as well as a competition I looked forward to).

I also play roller derby (the source of the injury) and I had a much easier time getting back on those skates, since the boots are low and don't put pressure on my ankle. (Crossovers are painful and I'm not scrimmaging or anything yet but at least I can keep up with the rest of the team during endurance training). I've also been able to get on the bike in the gym...so I figure I'll not worry too much about figure skating and at least start getting back in shape while the swelling goes down.

I didn't skate again until this past Saturday. I went to public session rather than club ice (the one rink here has free public sessions and I figured it wouldn't be discouraging as club ice where I'm surrounded by people jumping/spinning). It was better than the first time, I could do more turns on the bad ankle and crossovers weren't as painful. Was able to do some loop jumps and even a flip by the end of the session. I can't spin on my L ankle yet but I was able to work on back camels/back sits (which need work anyway), those were actually pretty good.

Today I'm actually wearing heels for the first time in over a month (I don't walk at work much and this particular pair is comfy).

I'm hoping that by next weekend, I will be able to run my program with the spins and jumps left out.

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Years ago, I had a bout with the flu ago and came back on the ice full force after two weeks in bed with no exercise. Within 30 minutes, I had pulled a muscle in my lower back after a hard landing and ended up back in bed for another two weeks on painkillers and muscle relaxants. I essentially doubled my time off the ice by being macho, lol.

Sk8pics successfully planned her return to the ice after a major injury (broken ankle) - she didn't just go back and try to pick up where she left off, she eased back into it, initially focusing on the elements that made her more stable on the ice.

I had a herniated disc in my lumbar spine and severe sciatica with leg numbness and severe pain (still skated until a month before my operation just to remain sane). Afterward my operation I was on the ice once then my rink was closed for the summer so I was forced to recuperate.

I was scared like you would not believe! Not only did I have severe muscular and skeletal imbalances, lack of coordination etc I had a deficit as far as mental.....I was terrified of falling, severing my spine and being paralyzed! Add to that not being able to do one foot glides without falling over....it was tough! I ended up in a "re-training" program with my physical therapist, coach, and some others involved, I basically started at Snow Plow 1 and worked my way up!

When I needed a hand to hold, however, there were many that volunteered! I didn't need it often but it helped. Got me over those "bumps" in the ice! I still get hitched up mentally but I think of how far I've come and it helps.

dance2sk8
11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Today I'm actually wearing heels for the first time in over a month (I don't walk at work much and this particular pair is comfy).

Be careful with the heels. Its so much easier to injure yourself now that the ankle has weakened and I completely have avoided heels the whole time so far since I don't want to do something stupid just from walking to the bathroom and back, have my ankle give on me unexpectedly and re-injure it.

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
After my herniation, I had a note from my doctor to wear sneakers, because I had foot-drop and had to wear a brace...which you can't wear with heels. It was really good because my job required a lot of walking and I hated wearing heels (dress code stipulated "dress shoes").

I even wore the brace/sneaker combo after my operation...since there was no expiration on the note and I was still in rehab (nerves/muscles take a long time to rehab).

Be extra careful, don't wear heels higher than one-inch be sure they are wide-based (not kitten heels) or you could topple.

got2sk8
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Heels!!!!! I had forgotten how much I miss heels! Like Rachelsk8er I don't have to walk much at work either and love wearing them. I am scared to right now though. I don't feel steady...like when I go to put my leg down from a regular stride in walking that the kneecap will not be in the right place. There are lots of weird feelings going on in that leg right now, like it is an alien appendange. And Rachelsk8er, try not to be upset when you skate. I know that you will get better. It made me sad when I read that, but I know that I would have (and probably will) have the same reaction to myself.

I so appreciate the experiences that everyone is sharing. Is sounds like some of the emotions and concerns are the same across the board. One thing that I am hearing over and over is to take is easy and ease back onto the ice. I WAS thinking more about how quickly I can start running through my AN10 programs (I have 3), but I think that I am going to start with the basics of MIF and work up to it. I did not have a plan to execute when going back. This has helped.

I have to say that part of this has been kind of a good thing. It has given me time to step back and look at the sport (that I was/am a slave to) and figure out what is important. Being a board member, seamstress, stoner (skating dresses not the other), and general skating addict I have not been as involved with posting and communication as I would have liked. The time off is giving me time to do things that I needed to get done like having my tonuges rebuilt, reading the skating forums, reading books that I have set aside, spending time with my other half, and the dreaded housework that is always awaiting me.

Still, there is nothing quite as fulfilling as the smell of the ice and executing an element to the best of your ability and feeling that sense of accomplishment...so if you all could spare one element for me the next time you practice, just think about how lucky you are, we are to have this sport.

Missing my ice...

RachelSk8er
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Heels!!!!! I had forgotten how much I miss heels! Like Rachelsk8er I don't have to walk much at work either and love wearing them. I am scared to right now though. I don't feel steady...like when I go to put my leg down from a regular stride in walking that the kneecap will not be in the right place. There are lots of weird feelings going on in that leg right now, like it is an alien appendange. And Rachelsk8er, try not to be upset when you skate. I know that you will get better. It made me sad when I read that, but I know that I would have (and probably will) have the same reaction to myself.

I so appreciate the experiences that everyone is sharing. Is sounds like some of the emotions and concerns are the same across the board. One thing that I am hearing over and over is to take is easy and ease back onto the ice. I WAS thinking more about how quickly I can start running through my AN10 programs (I have 3), but I think that I am going to start with the basics of MIF and work up to it. I did not have a plan to execute when going back. This has helped.

Yeah not wearing heels sucks when all your pants are hemmed for them! I could probably milk the tennis shoes a few more weeks, since they look so hot with business attire and all, but I also have enough flats that are comfortable. The only reason I'm in the pair of heels I'm wearing today is because they felt good/stable this morning (and I don't drive to/from work in them, and half the time I kick them off at my desk and if I'm just walking around my department, I usually slip on crocs). So they're really just for show if I had any meetings today or had to be around any important people (which I don't).

You may find that you need to re-prioritize for competition season. I had planned to compete free (new program for this year), solo dance, and whip together a new interp (maybe even 2) before I got hurt. Now I realized that I'll have to scale back due to the setback. I'll compete freestyle and dance for sure, but if I do interp it'll be last year's program. Especially since passing my moves is my main priority once I can get back to 100%.

You may also have to re-adjust your thinking and approach to competing for now, since it sounds like you're pretty competitive/hard core like I am. Aside from sitting out Buckeye (since I couldn't even walk then), I had to decide to sit out a competition in a few weeks (which I did last year) because it would be pushing it way too much to even have some version of my freestyle program ready in time (in the middle of my law school finals and end of the year deadlines at work). I'll be at Wyandotte for sure, but my freestyle program may have to be watered down and my goal just making it to the end--and not winning. I'll also sit out interp, since I want to do solo dance and I don't want to have to run from one event to another all day long with little rest in between like I normally would. My goals for ANs (podium in silver free and silver dance) are more important to me than some of the smaller competitions, so there is no reason to overkill too soon.

My sister has actually had both of her ACLs reconstructed (one at age 14 and the other at age 16). She just turned 19, is a freshman in college, and is playing varsity soccer and is on the varsity swim team at a D3 school. She says her knees are stronger now than they were before she was injured. Both times, she did exactly what her doctors and physical therapists said with regard to rehab and she was really dilligent about icing it. She's just as competitive as she was before. So I'm sure you'll be back to your old skating self.

dbny
11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I came back after a broken wrist in 2001 while transitioning in the Pre-pre BI edge pattern. I might not have come back except that skating was helping me lose a ton of weight and I had almost brand new Klingbeils. I scheduled a lesson for my first time back on the ice, which was a good thing, because I chickened out and my coach had to coax me onto the ice. After we discussed what had happened in the move that resulted in my fracture, I was less scared, but it still took about a year before I could do that move without fear, and two years before I was ready to test again (I had planned to test just a few days after the accident.) Music has been a big help in quelling my fear. I find that with a good beat, everything is easier.

Since your injuries have been to your knees, I highly recommend investing in the Skating Safe gel knee pads. I don't skate without them, ever, and wish there were something tried and true for wrists. The gel pads are excellent, and I've whacked my knees without them, with foam pads, and with the gel pads and there is a world of difference. Also, the gel pads are nearly invisible. Under pants they don't show at all, and under tights with a dress they are pretty much invisible from a distance. Get a larger size than you need, and wear them verically rather than across, as instructed. That cuts down on the visibility.

got2sk8
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah not wearing heels sucks when all your pants are hemmed for them! I could probably milk the tennis shoes a few more weeks, since they look so hot with business attire and all, but I also have enough flats that are comfortable. The only reason I'm in the pair of heels I'm wearing today is because they felt good/stable this morning (and I don't drive to/from work in them, and half the time I kick them off at my desk and if I'm just walking around my department, I usually slip on crocs). So they're really just for show if I had any meetings today or had to be around any important people (which I don't).

You may find that you need to re-prioritize for competition season. I had planned to compete free (new program for this year), solo dance, and whip together a new interp (maybe even 2) before I got hurt. Now I realized that I'll have to scale back due to the setback. I'll compete freestyle and dance for sure, but if I do interp it'll be last year's program. Especially since passing my moves is my main priority once I can get back to 100%.

You may also have to re-adjust your thinking and approach to competing for now, since it sounds like you're pretty competitive/hard core like I am. Aside from sitting out Buckeye (since I couldn't even walk then), I had to decide to sit out a competition in a few weeks (which I did last year) because it would be pushing it way too much to even have some version of my freestyle program ready in time (in the middle of my law school finals and end of the year deadlines at work). I'll be at Wyandotte for sure, but my freestyle program may have to be watered down and my goal just making it to the end--and not winning. I'll also sit out interp, since I want to do solo dance and I don't want to have to run from one event to another all day long with little rest in between like I normally would. My goals for ANs (podium in silver free and silver dance) are more important to me than some of the smaller competitions, so there is no reason to overkill too soon.

My sister has actually had both of her ACLs reconstructed (one at age 14 and the other at age 16). She just turned 19, is a freshman in college, and is playing varsity soccer and is on the varsity swim team at a D3 school. She says her knees are stronger now than they were before she was injured. Both times, she did exactly what her doctors and physical therapists said with regard to rehab and she was really dilligent about icing it. She's just as competitive as she was before. So I'm sure you'll be back to your old skating self.

Yeah, hardcore is a good way to sum it up. My goal is to be skating my freeskate at AN and maybe I won't be competitive, but at least bring out there will be an accomplishment.

Good luck with your recovery and I will be in the stands cheering you on.

sk8pics
12-01-2009, 05:28 AM

Yes, there's no way I could have done it any other way. I'd have hurt something for sure, and I couldn't stand the thought of another serious injury, especially given the complications I'd suffered through. My coach was and continues to be a rockstar. The first time on the ice I was with him and he held my hand as I stepped onto the ice and for those first couple of very slow laps. That day, he coaxed me into skating a few steps on my own, but boy it was very scary. I felt very unstable and the muscles in my ankle were still very weak. Today I can do many of the things I could do before I broke my ankle, but I don't skate as much as I used to. Not because of the injury but because some of my priorities shifted. I usually skate with my coach but I have occasionally skated on my own --that was scary at first! I love every minute I am on the ice and I'm so grateful that I can skate! I still remember how many people came up and hugged me when I first came back to the rink to meet up with a friend for dinner and then when I started skating again.

Take your time, pay attention to what your body tells you, know when to push through any pain or discomfort and know when to stop. Definitely the psychological side of it can be difficult, too! It just takes time and patience.

tazsk8s
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm in a similar situation - broke my wrist in mid-July working on the 8 step mohawk. Basically I got too far back on a back outside edge and went "wham" before I realized what was happening. I was off for almost 11 weeks, 6 weeks in cast, 4 weeks additional healing/regaining some of the strength in my wrist and arm. I've been back since the end of September and just now am starting to feel like I'm having some "normal" practices again.

Lots of good advice above, sharing what has worked well for me:

1. Protective gear - wrist guards in my case. There is a definite fear factor that wasn't there before my injury and I am certain I wouldn't have had the nerve to get out on the ice again without them.

2. Working back up to my previous level gradually. I made sure my coach knew there was a fear factor at work on back outside edges. We've spent a bunch of time doing remedial exercises on them, and I'm feeling a little better about them. Not yet ready to tackle the 8 step again quite yet, but the edge practice is helping a lot of other things too, like jump entrances. I'll get back to the 8 step eventually.

coskater64
12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I have come back from 2 major hip surgeries, the second of which resurfaced my hip. Every single gluteal muscle has been cut, min, med and max I lost 15 lbs of muscle and 3" of mass in my right leg.

Over 2 years I have come back very slowly, no jumping for one year, started axels at 1.5 years and some double attempts. Used hinged boots to get my knees working again since I had very limited bend at the hips (flexion). At 2 year mark my axels are closer, 2 sal, 2 toe about the same, getting past landing on my right leg with 10x my body weight is not easy. Of course I do flying camels which are about 7x so, I am slowly getting there.

Take it easy, I went and did all the adult moves and tested them, I had been working on my Jr moves. I did a lot of stroking and edge work and just tried to become as bilateral as possible.

It is very nice to wear heels again, I like the 2-4" heels that put me close to the 6'-6'2" mark.

Good luck with your recovery, just be careful, set a plan for exactly how long you will skate each week. I skate 2 days 20minutes for 2 weeks then went up to 30, very slowly and gradually currently I am attempting 3 hours a day 4 days a week with 2.5 on the 5th day. I may die of exhaustion soon.:lol::lol:

skaternum
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Background: I skated Silver singles and Gold pairs. I've had five surgeries on my right knee and one on the left. Number 3, which I call "the big surgery," was an old school style slit down the leg with the knee cap popped back. They implanted cartilage cells that they'd previously extracted from me and grown in a lab with a biologic product. They also performed a Fulkerson osteotomy, completely changing the load bearing structure of my knee. It was an 18 month rehab, with the first MONTHS being completely non-weight-bearing. The other 4 surgeries were all various scopes.

The main advice I have for you is to echo what others have said: take it SLOWLY when you start back. Start with easy stuff and gradually work your way back up to where you where before. After "the big surgery," I did nothing but stroking around for a long time, then I started working on the Moves In The Field, starting with Pre-Pre! This allowed me to really learn to trust my "new" knee.

Also, even though it's hard, try to limit the length of time you're on the ice at any one session. Stop BEFORE you feel anything like fatigue or pain. And never do back-to-back days in the first month or so.

Mentally, it's really hard to be off the ice with an injury. Use the time away to do things you normally don't get to do, so you try to see the time as fun or productive, instead of a prison sentence. :D

Part of being an adult skater is ... getting older. Accept that you may take a little longer to get back "up to speed" than you're used to. Accept the fact that you may never get back to where you were before the injury. You probably will, but don't flip out if you don't. Revel in what you CAN do, rather than what you CAN'T do.

I finally, after some complications and setbacks from the fifth surgery, came to the realization that I can't skate anymore. The trade off of what I get out of it isn't worth what it does to my body and my mind any more. It was a hard decision, preceded and immediately followed by a lot of sadness and grief. I felt "goal-less," because getting back on the ice had been my primary motivator for the last 3 years. I even got back on the ice between surgeries 4 and 5, and I brought back a handful of medals from Peach Classic. 8-) But in a way, I'm seeing that it's been sort of liberating. No more pain like I was experiencing; no more rink politics; no more stressing out about fitting into a skating dress or breaking my partner's back with that extra 5 pounds. I'm learning that there's more to life than skating. Use your time off the ice to remember that, then go back into it with a greater appreciation for every moment on the ice and every accomplishment, no matter how small.

I hope your rehab and return to the ice is easy for you.

RachelSk8er
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
II'm learning that there's more to life than skating. Use your time off the ice to remember that, then go back into it with a greater appreciation for every moment on the ice and every accomplishment, no matter how small.

There is!? Like what!? (Ha ha just kidding, I did some soul searching in college because I spent my teenage years practically living in an ice rink, but then I realized normal people aren't as fun).