View Full Version : Fusty or Festive Practice Thread 11/24-11/30

AgnesNitt
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I noticed that the last practice thread expired on the 24th, so I thought I'd pop this one in. FYI Fusty is bad. Festive is good.

Fusty: Missed skating for two weeks due to social commitments. When I got back it was like slogging through mud. Took me 45 minutes to warm up my knees.

Festive. My mohawks are coming back after the broken ankle! And I think they're better than they were before the *Fall*.
A woman in her 40's came up and said she admired my skating. (I blush, bec. all I'm doing is forward stroking, two foot turns, mohawks and t-stops) I gave her the usual encouragement to take adult lessons, and when I left I saw her looking over the group lesson schedule, so I may have made a convert!
Mystery Guy Skater and I chatted about his practice schedule. For every half hour private he does 10 hours practice---and it shows.

jazzpants
11-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Let's see now...

Festive:
Wednesday I had a lesson with primary coach. He and I started the lesson by giving me more footwork drills to do while "warming up."

Fusty:
Unfortunately the drill got complicated enough where even when I'm awake I wouldn't be able to get the steps down in the order he had them. :twisted: :P :lol: :giveup:

Then he said two words I didn't expect "Let's.... JUMP!!!" Of course, I didn't expect it b/c my secondary coach had said in our last lesson that he will do moves and she will do jumps and spins. I said "Ummm.... okay! I wasn't expecting that one." He said "You should expect ANYTHING out of me!!! :twisted: " Right! I forgot "Coach Rule #1: The one drill that you're dreading to do during the lesson is likely to be the one you get. (Rule #2 is "The one drill you have been preparing all week for is LIKELY NOT the item s/he's gonna have you do in the next lesson!!! :twisted: Rule #2a is "It doesn't mean you don't practice it though... it will come back in a future lesson!!! :twisted: )

Festive:
I have a few things to keep in mind while during waltz and loop jumps. He's determined to make those jumps look REAL sparkly clean and pretty... so he can do "show and tell" to my secondary coach and say "Look what I made Jazzpants do now!!!" :twisted: :P :lol:

Thursdays and More "Festive":
Thursday is Thanksgiving... so no lesson with secondary coach. That said, I had LOADS of fun during the annual Thanksgiving coffee club session. I saw LOTS of my fellow coffee club session friends. And it's no surprise majority of them were ice dancers since our coffee club is sorta more an ice dance session that allows FS skaters to do their skate. When the Dutch Waltz comes up, I follow along. (It's the only dance pattern I do know. :giveup: )

RachelSk8er
11-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Festive
Second time back on the ice post-injury yesterday. Weather was in the 50s and sunny so another adult skater and I hit up a free public session at the outdoor rink here (not one of those dingy little temporary holiday outdoor rinks, a full-size one with decent ice that is open Oct-April, they only have public skate but it's free if you don't need to rent skates). Too bad they're closed Sundays, because today is even a few degrees warmer and it would have been great to go. I forgot this rink was still around, I'll have to remember it if I have a day off work and it's a day like today, because they have daytime ice.

Still hurts to have the skate on over the swelling in my ankle, although not as much as last week. Lasted a whole hour. Backward/forward crossovers are easier, so are 3 turns on the bad foot. Did some good back sits and back camels even though the push into them isn't as strong. Even did some loop jumps (they were tentative since I didn't want to fall so they didn't have a whole lot of height) and by the end of the session, even managed a clean flip jump.

Mysteriously my Y spiral, which I started working on in August, got better with my month of inactivity. My leg got up much easier and it was a lot higher than it used to be. Not sure how/why that is, I didn't do any exercise for a month and no stretching. Maybe that somehow made my hip more loose? I don't know but I can't complain.

Fusty
Speed and power are (obviously) still down. Still can't do other jumps (haven't tried) and can't really spin on the L ankle so any forward spins are still out of the question. Have yet to try more complicated turns (twizzles, counters, rockers, etc) on the bad ankle, it was a little too crowded on the public session for that. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to try a flying camel, but on the edge into it realized I wasn't quite ready, so it was more of a hoppy thing but the back camel was surprisingly decent.

I'm hoping that by next weekend, I can handle all the turns in my program's step sequence (even if I have to go back to the watered down version from Peach and not the beefed up version I planned for Buckeye--the CCW quick rocker choctaws I put in are def going to have to come out and the LFI twizzle will have to be a single and not a double) and maybe even start to run my program w/o all the jumps/spins and start doing some dances.

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
this is for last night, i was going to post but my computer was mis-behaving so i ran a virus program.....

Festive: hardly anyone at the rink they were still out for the holiday, so no one was running into each other! Synchro girl was there, she is always nice to watch! Talked with coach about the technique my group coach wants me to do on my jumps (incorporating a backspin-wrap thing when I land)....she wants me to focus more on: height and quality first then we will add it in later. Although she does agree that it's time to start thinking about working towards doubles, maybe not necessarily doing them (haha i agree!). Worked on some back spirals, which is good to take advantage of an empty rink....I need to work on these but they weren't too bad if I don't swing my leg out too far.

Fusty: Worked on some sit spins, I had a harder time this time, maybe my back was sore (everything was hurting today, maybe the weather?). They just didn't get where they needed to be.

PinkLaces
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Fusty Got new skates last week. They felt fine when I left the shop. They couldn't find laces long enough for my big, wide feet so I had to tie them really tight to get them skateable. (120's not long enough). Could only skate 20 minutes in them before my feet went numb. Not good. I've been trying to wear them at home to break them in, but can only wear them 30 mins at a time. :cry::cry::cry:

je
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Fusty: Got my second retry on the Ten-Fox last night.

Festive: Got a pass from a judge who gave me a retry on my first try (June 08). And this time I was officially testing standard--my first try had been mistakenly noted as adult.

I'm bouncing back and forth between feeling like I've had it with testing dance and being more determined than ever to conquer this one. The latter feeling will win out, I know, but I allowed myself not to do one little bit of dance practice this morning (I'm also working on Gold moves and Bronze free.)

I'm sorry I don't post much, but I do read everyone's posts.

Johanna

dbny
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
A woman in her 40's came up and said she admired my skating. (I blush, bec. all I'm doing is forward stroking, two foot turns, mohawks and t-stops)

It's amazing how a little basic skating can impress the uninitiated! I was working on a crowded public session yesterday and I know for a fact that I did absolutely nothing remarkable - not even a three turn or mohawk, but a Russian woman who grew up skating told me I'm a beautiful skater 8O. The only thing I could guess impressed her was that I often do slow motion stroking to show my students exactly what is going on, since so many beginners think they should either step ahead or slide their feet ahead.

Fusty Got new skates last week. They felt fine when I left the shop. They couldn't find laces long enough for my big, wide feet so I had to tie them really tight to get them skateable. (120's not long enough). Could only skate 20 minutes in them before my feet went numb. Not good. I've been trying to wear them at home to break them in, but can only wear them 30 mins at a time. :cry::cry::cry:

When you are not wearing them, pull the laces as tight as you can and tie them that way. That will help stretch them, and will also pull down the sides of the boots where the holes are.

Isk8NYC
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Get two short pairs and tie them together to make two long laces. Put the knot at the bottom and lace as usual.

However, I have to wonder if you weren't mismeasured for skates. I've never seen stock boots with too-short laces unless the skates were too narrow for the foot. Then, the "throat" (space where the tongue shows between the eyelets) is really spread apart.

If your feet ache across the ball or instep, your skates are probably too narrow. Take the skates back and ask them to order the proper width skates.

Speaking of which:

Fusty: Decided that Santa should bring me new skates for Christmas. Just a stock pair of boots - I have plenty of blades I can use. Measured myself using three different Jackson sticks. I need a size 7.5 boot. The width is insane though - my foot measurements are off the chart, yet a pair of 8B skates fit me fine, width-wise. Nowhere to try on a pair. Gak.

Festive: Nailed a few toe loops and loop entries this weekend.

dance2sk8
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Festive

Mysteriously my Y spiral, which I started working on in August, got better with my month of inactivity. My leg got up much easier and it was a lot higher than it used to be. Not sure how/why that is, I didn't do any exercise for a month and no stretching. Maybe that somehow made my hip more loose? I don't know but I can't complain.

Welcome to my world!!! LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I found I was better at certain elements than before whenever I took a week or longer off. Not sure why, but I am glad I am not the only one plagued with this blessing.

dance2sk8
11-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Breaking in new skates are the WORST!!! I hope they relax soon so you can enjoy skating again!

phoenix
11-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Fusty AND Festive, all together: Well, coach has approved testing Paso in Jan (11), so I sent in the paperwork today. And, as I licked the envelope & sealed it, my heart started pounding, and the nerves started kicking in!!

Which is probably fine, as I've learned that the more I freak out ahead of time, the less I freak out on the actual test. Of course, there's always the issue of not being actually able to get through 2 patterns w/ music just yet......yikes!!

Festive: Decided to spring for a gym membership over the winter so I can keep running, which I did all summer & which definitely helped my stamina.

PinkLaces
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
When you are not wearing them, pull the laces as tight as you can and tie them that way. That will help stretch them, and will also pull down the sides of the boots where the holes are.

Thanks for the tip!

Get two short pairs and tie them together to make two long laces. Put the knot at the bottom and lace as usual.

However, I have to wonder if you weren't mismeasured for skates. I've never seen stock boots with too-short laces unless the skates were too narrow for the foot. Then, the "throat" (space where the tongue shows between the eyelets) is really spread apart.

I am seriously wondering about this. I went to the biggest most reputable skate place in the state to try to avoid this. I've probably broken 3-4 pairs of skates over the years and my feet have been sore after skating, but never numb. I did call the manufacturer to see about longer laces and he thought that they came standard with the 114 so is sending me out some 120s. I did get the wide width.

aussieskater
11-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I did call the manufacturer to see about longer laces and he thought that they came standard with the 114 so is sending me out some 120s. I did get the wide width.

If the 120's don't work, Jackson make white 130's, which may be the right size. They're thin laces, though, and may not be to your liking. I love thin laces, but know plenty of skaters who prefer the thicker cotton ones.)

(PS - good luck breaking in the new boots! Hope they feel a little more "yours" soon.)

techskater
11-30-2009, 07:29 PM
festive: off the ice this week on vacation. Checking in from sunny Mexico.

fusty: not much. Driving here was easier than I anticipated and everything is easily identified!

SkaterBird
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Decidedly festive - I FINALLY took an official USFSA test, or three actually - all of the Preliminary dances, and, miraculously, passed them. This was (is) a very big deal that required my darling husband, who promises to ice dance with me some day, to take me (and kids, too) out to dinner. :twisted: Very nice. Now I have to get through the next three, as quickly as possible!!!

PinkLaces
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
If the 120's don't work, Jackson make white 130's, which may be the right size. They're thin laces, though, and may not be to your liking. I love thin laces, but know plenty of skaters who prefer the thicker cotton ones.)

(PS - good luck breaking in the new boots! Hope they feel a little more "yours" soon.)

I think I bought my pink laces from Jackson when they were a vendor at the US Nationals in 2008. Love those laces, but had to stop wearing them when my old boots started getting too broken down. Maybe the upside is that I can wear them again. :P

Skate@Delaware
12-01-2009, 08:03 AM

If your feet ache across the ball or instep, your skates are probably too narrow. Take the skates back and ask them to order the proper width skates.

Speaking of which:

Fusty: Decided that Santa should bring me new skates for Christmas. Just a stock pair of boots - I have plenty of blades I can use. Measured myself using three different Jackson sticks. I need a size 7.5 boot. The width is insane though - my foot measurements are off the chart, yet a pair of 8B skates fit me fine, width-wise. Nowhere to try on a pair. Gak.

Festive: Nailed a few toe loops and loop entries this weekend.
I wear a stock 8B Jackson. Which is weird, since the whole line was "redesigned" I went from a C/D width to a B. Although I find the heel a bit wide for me and I'm thinking maybe a 7.5 would be a better fit, now that the padding is packing down....:roll: Although I'm glad I didn't have to buy another 8C/D semi-custom boot ($$$$$$$$$).

I still can't point my toes sufficiently in these (Elites). They are still pretty stiff. If I lace to the top I can't bend; if I loosen then enough to get enough toe point (for proper push off on the loop jump) then I don't feel as though I have enough ankle support). Yikes!

phoenix
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Decidedly festive - I FINALLY took an official USFSA test, or three actually - all of the Preliminary dances, and, miraculously, passed them. This was (is) a very big deal that required my darling husband, who promises to ice dance with me some day, to take me (and kids, too) out to dinner. :twisted: Very nice. Now I have to get through the next three, as quickly as possible!!!

Congratulations!!!! That's a great feeling, isn't it? I remember my first dance tests--I couldn't bend my knees for anything, I was so nervous. Later my coach joked that someone else had my legs that night.

dance2sk8
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Festive: Worked on my back spins. Am now more comfortable going into them, however, still need to get some more muscle memory in and be more conscious of my right shoulder and my entry needs to be slightly deeper to get that "circle". I twizzle at least 3 times and then start spinning. Will get that corrected soon.

Spirals were really nice today. My coach commented on my catch spiral and I was able to do it with control and dropping my leg easily into a spiral and holding it. I have been struggling on doing this within a circle. Its easy to do across the rink with minimal turns. I was really happy about this.

Got the slide chassez..(sp?) and now need to practice it!

Am able to do an open (arrow) camel now as well as the standard position. Now I need to get more comfortable grabbing my blade for the catch camel. Grr. I tip forward on this at times.

Fusty: Got a little bit of video of me last night and need to post my spiral. I didn't like any of my spins, which I realized right away, I NEED TO SHARPEN MY SKATES! :P I was skidding every-which-way and unable to hold my scratch spin. So, dropped them off to Fred Martin and I pick them up tonight and will try more video again. ( they were really dull)

Sit spins were a disaster in my book. (Me the perfectionist). My coach said they were still really good even though I am not as low as I usually am. Everyone has tough weeks at times with skating. So hoping my sit spin returns tonight. I love doing them.

ibreakhearts66
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
My first practice post in a while!

Festive:
-Just about everything. Landed all of my jumps through 2lutz, only falling on ONE 2lutz (and I did a ton a of jumps). In fact, only fell a few times the whole session, twice on combo jumps, once on the 2lutz and once on an amusing pop. I don't mind falling, but it was great to have consistency. Also landed 2flip+2loop, 2flip+2toe (a combo I never attempt) and some solid 2toe+2toes.
-Spins felt really good. Started messing around with new arm positions for my layback and I really like what i saw (I videotaped). Grab camels have gained a lot of extension.

Fusty
-Even this is kind of festive because it meant I was working so hard and enjoying myself so much that I didn't want to rest, but I spun til I puked! I think I was pushing myself just a little too hard for coming back from a heart procedure.

Really, the best part was just that I ENJOYED being out there. I've been stuck in a rut and have been struggling with depression and just haven't really enjoyed skating lately. I almost didn't go today but decided to at the last minute and I'm SO glad I did.

PinkLaces
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Festive Coach had me lace new skates skipping the second notch and lacing the the 3rd and top ones. What a difference that made! :) Yea! Had a lesson tonight. We went through the 3 of the Bronze Moves and coach was happy with how quiet my skating is with the new blades. I even got some nice growl on some of the edges. She was happy to see that I was putting in less effort and getting better results. We worked on some jumps: waltz, salchow, and toe loop.

Fusty Had to cut lesson to 15 mins(usually do 20). My feet really hurt. I had to take off my skates every 20 minutes and rest my feet. Then when I put them back on and I could skate again. Spins were totally off. Scratch spins traveled. Backspins ground to a halt after about 3 revs. Didn't attempt sits or camels.

BatikatII
12-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Festive: Had a couples dance lesson today and things started well although I have to say I am not happy to be doing the Dutch Waltz as one of the British Championship dances this year. I hate it because it is soooo boring. Still we did some work on power, speed and edges which was fine until....

Fusty....at the start of a run through we hadn't got beyond the first push of the intro steps when partner caught toepick and fell heavily taking me down too and wrenching my arm back:cry: Who'd have thought just doing the baby dances could be so dangerous. :lol: Didn't think it was too bad til I tried to drive home and changing gear or trying to pull on the handbrake was actually quite painful. Have iced the shoulder and will rest it now and hope it's better by Friday when I have synchro practice!

singerskates
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I still can't point my toes sufficiently in these (Elites). They are still pretty stiff. If I lace to the top I can't bend; if I loosen then enough to get enough toe point (for proper push off on the loop jump) then I don't feel as though I have enough ankle support). Yikes!

I have the same problem. It seems we both bought a boot that was one level too stiff for us. I have the Elite Plus boots. I should have only bought the regular Elite boots. But look at it this way once and if we ever get the boots to bend in the way we want them to bend, the boot will last much longer.

Now to grab my skates and work on them while watching TV.

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I have the same problem. It seems we both bought a boot that was one level too stiff for us. I have the Elite Plus boots. I should have only bought the regular Elite boots. But look at it this way once and if we ever get the boots to bend in the way we want them to bend, the boot will last much longer.

Now to grab my skates and work on them while watching TV.
I'm tempted to switch my blades back to my old boots...and take my chances (duct tape anyone?) at least I could point my toes (I could always pad out the heels so there's no slipping around).

phoenix
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Festive: I went to the gym yesterday to meet w/ trainer for the first time to set up which exercises/machines I should be using. He did some strength tests & stuff to see what level of fitness I'm currently at. One of the things he had me do was crunches for one minute--he said I did more crunches than anyone he'd ever seen. HA!! Respect the skating muscles, bub!! :lol:

dbny
12-03-2009, 01:12 PM
(I could always pad out the heels so there's no slipping around).

What do you use for padding?

sk8tegirl06
12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Festive Started prejuvenile moves in lesson today. 8O Honestly, didn't really ever see this day coming. I'm coming up on my third anniversary of skating this time around. Right around this time three years ago, I was getting ready for the Christmas show with the LTS Delta/Gamma group.

Now, I have passed three standard track tests, competed twice, and medalled once. As an added bonus, so far prejuv seems like a possibility, the 5 step and the forward power pulls I sort of have figured out.

Fusty The introduction to the prejuvenile back 3 turns.....this is going to take a looooong time. The second session I skate on Thursdays was busier than normal. I like the calm, quiet mid morning sessions.

jazzpants
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
For today (Thursday)

Fusty: I was SOOOOO BUSTED at this morning's lesson today when I had to do salchows but from a "?" (or in my case since I'm a lefty skater, a "reversed ?" setup.) I was slow and tentative (b/c I really need to work on my RFI mohawks at "FULL OUT BUST MY @$$ speed." It's REALLY weak -- I only could do them well enough for the 5 step mohawks!!! 8O ) and on the back crossovers that are in the "?" setup!!!

Of course, my primary coach was nearby and while I was getting BUSTED by the secondary coach for the back crossovers, primary coach took the opportunity to bust me on something else!!! :twisted: (I called my primary coach a "sadist" on my FB status. Long story, but I meant it as a COMPLIMENT... :halo: :lol: )

Festive:
I did plead for mercy :bow: and after finally getting back those back crossovers that the coaches loved back about 6-7 months ago, I was finally out of the doghouse!!! (And believe me, at one point during the lesson, it was good enough for the eyewitnesses that were watching my secondary coach bust my @$$!!! But STILL NOT good enough to get out of the doghouse with my secondary coach, b/c "she's greedy and she WANTS IT ALL!!! :twisted: " So for me to finally have her happy enough for me to get out of the doghouse... that's a feat in itself!!! :bow:)

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
What do you use for padding?
In my ooooold skates I use the Dr. Scholls heel grippers, but in these slightly older boots I guess I could just use some moleskin and get away with it (I skate barefoot so only need a little bit of gripping power). I like someone else's idea of using a bunga gel sleeve, but I'd be afraid it would bunch all up and then I'd get a blister or something.

AgnesNitt
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I have a coach!:P
After my old coach retired I finally have a coach again!
My new rink is not real adult friendly, and I got the brushoff from the one coach I approached.
Then one of my ice-dance friends told me a coach I knew from my old rink had moved to a nearish-by rink. He's taking silver moves from her. So an exchange of emails later and I finally have a coach.
(And she know my limited skating ability so, I'm sure she's rubbing her hands going 'finally I get to fix those flaws');)

Kim to the Max
12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
FESTIVE!!!

I finally was able to do the junior power pulls without practically reading a book between the turns (pull, pull, pull, turn........read a book.........think about turning........not really ready yet.......okay, I'll turn now). I did them with a real rhythm today!! (pull, pull, pull, set, turn, turn) Sooooo exciting!!

I think I made some progress on fixing my axel (well, as much as I can fix it). It went all wonky after my test and after I got my new skates...so I did a whole ton of them from a side-toe-hop and was able to fix a bit of my take off...

Coach thought is would be a good idea to start me on trying axel/half loop/double sal. I was able to do the axel/half loop part and then do a single sal....it's something new to work on.

We also did some flying camels and coach was pleasantly surprised with how good they have gotten. We made a few small fixes and yay!!! they are pretty good :)

jazzpants
12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
For Tuesday:

Fusty:
It was supposed to be lesson with primary coach for Wed. morning but I got scheduled for a meeting at 8am Wed. morning at work!!! Had to be done... but I'm not happy about it.

Festive:
We worked on BI3's again!!! We worked on the push off to the edge AND on rotation. Have to keep up with the homework I got from him from previous lessons.

We also worked on back power pulls!!! OW OW OW!!! My ankle!! Who knew I had to use THAT much quad and ankle bend (never mind coordinating the skating leg, free leg and the arms/shoulders. 8O ) (And okay, it's my own damn fault for NOT switching feet during the lesson too!!! :roll: :lol: )

Look forward to more lessons!!! :) :bow:

dbny
12-04-2009, 01:16 PM
In my ooooold skates I use the Dr. Scholls heel grippers, but in these slightly older boots I guess I could just use some moleskin and get away with it (I skate barefoot so only need a little bit of gripping power). I like someone else's idea of using a bunga gel sleeve, but I'd be afraid it would bunch all up and then I'd get a blister or something.

I skate barefoot too, and my R heel slips. I tried the Dr. Scholls, but can't get them in. I'm currently using a square of molefoam in the very back, but it compresses fairly quickly and it's hard to get in also, so I'd like to find something that will last longer.

Agnes - Congrats on finding a new coach!

Fusty:
I told my ice dance coach yesterday that I did not want to do the dances (still fuming about the sicko judge, and it just makes me want to quit) and that I had to take it easy. I just wanted to have fun. Well, we worked a ton on F and B XO's, both solo and in kilian and hand in hand. Then edges, FO and FI. By the end I was sweating a ton and exhausted - exactly what I did not want. Then I had to work a couple of hours and did not get a good night's sleep. Woke up this AM feeling sick and had to cancel my regular lesson, which I had really been looking forward to. I'm definitely coming down with something :x. I am going to have to change my dance lesson to Wed and insist on slowing down with this coach (he's a kid, in his mid-twenties, so doesn't know what it's like to recover from illness in one's 60's) or switch coaches!

PinkLaces
12-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I have a coach!:P
After my old coach retired I finally have a coach again!
My new rink is not real adult friendly, and I got the brushoff from the one coach I approached.
Then one of my ice-dance friends told me a coach I knew from my old rink had moved to a nearish-by rink. He's taking silver moves from her. So an exchange of emails later and I finally have a coach.
(And she know my limited skating ability so, I'm sure she's rubbing her hands going 'finally I get to fix those flaws');)

That's great!

PinkLaces
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Fusty Still breaking in new skates. This time I only had to take them off 3x on my 90 minute session. Tuesday was 4x. Jumps are limited to waltz, salchow, and toe loop...no loops or flips. Backspins ground to a halt after 3 revs. Trying to find the sweet spot on the new blades.

Festive Spinning! Whoa! These blades make spinning so much faster. My scratch spin was making me dizzy, but I didn't care. Coach said my sit spin position is much better..still needs to be lower, but it's getting there. I had some nice 3 rev camels.

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I skate barefoot too, and my R heel slips. I tried the Dr. Scholls, but can't get them in. I'm currently using a square of molefoam in the very back, but it compresses fairly quickly and it's hard to get in also, so I'd like to find something that will last longer.
I put the heel grippers above the heel cup, where the achilles tendon starts if that's helpful.

Festive: Show Practice!!!!! It was good, our number is working well. Tried on my dress and it looks great (I'd better not gain any weight). Bought some tights but got the wrong ones and these are footed...oops! The sheen is nice though. I think I can stand it for the 10 minutes I wear them.

Fusty: I'm feeling really bad about my skates....especially since I still can't do scratch spins with them!!!! It still feels like the blade is off a smidge and I'm also feeling like one leg is longer than the other....this has me so aggravated!

dbny
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I put the heel grippers above the heel cup, where the achilles tendon starts if that's helpful.

I'll try that, thanks!

Bought some tights but got the wrong ones and these are footed...oops! The sheen is nice though. I think I can stand it for the 10 minutes I wear them.

When I switched to barefoot, I cut the toes out of my tights and they are fine that way. Because you still have the whole foot, there is plenty to keep the tights from pulling up above the top of the boot, and I didn't get a single run. If you want to try it, just cut right along the seam that goes across the toes.

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
When I switched to barefoot, I cut the toes out of my tights and they are fine that way. Because you still have the whole foot, there is plenty to keep the tights from pulling up above the top of the boot, and I didn't get a single run. If you want to try it, just cut right along the seam that goes across the toes.
I will try that, and I can tuck it around my ankle so it looks footed hehehe and I can do without my ankle padding for a bit. Some comments made last night were "Oh my we can see your skates now!" because I usually wear pants with them pulled down over the heel.....

PinkLaces
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Fusty No group lesson today. Group coach is at a competition. So just fooled around with some of the kids. WOrked on some laybacks...can hold the position from the neck down. Once the head goes back it's all over.

Festive Was able to keep the skates on the whole 90 minutes. Wahoo!

tazsk8s
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Festive: Most of my spins in yesterday's lesson. Front scratch was fast and nicely centered. Backspin working well. Sit was decent and was starting to get the idea on the backsit. See below for the exception.

Lutz is coming back, and the loop is getting reliable enough to start trying it in combos again. I decided to start with flip-loop since the flip is my best jump and did a couple that were small-ish, but clean. Even spent some time on axels in my lesson yesterday. I lost some of the height and rotation I was getting before my injury, but I'm getting over the right side much better than I did before. Go figure.

Fusty: Camel spin in yesterday's lesson. Uggggggg. Lost some of my flexibility (such as it was anyway) during my off-time. Need to make daughter help me stretch spirals again. Even hip-height is a challenge right now.

Today's Saturday public. Too crowded, ice got choppy pretty fast, and I was tired anyway. Haven't done public skate routinely in a long time, but need to keep costs reasonable right now so don't want to add another freestyle if I can avoid it.

Skate@Delaware
12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I'll post here, there's no new practice thread yet (altho I was tempted to put one up with a "say no to drugs-theme" hahaha).

Fusty: braved the public session, since my regular session with coach was off. Woman at the counter "Oh, it's pretty crowded today" I look out and see a manageable crowd.

Spins were so-so. I know it's easy to blame the equipment, and I know it is 40% equipment 60% me. ((sigh)) only could do ONE centered scratch.

Festive: it was still nice, I needed a break from studying. Met another woman (not skating) studying microbiology for her test (at another campus) it was nice. She is also entering clinicals in January.

Worked on sit spins the last 10 minutes of the session, and tried really hard to get my free leg to "snap" and the foot to roll over. It's a struggle but I'm trying.

jazzpants
12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I'll post here, there's no new practice thread yet (altho I was tempted to put one up with a "say no to drugs-theme" hahaha).Well, I just did one!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

(Moderators: I don't need the warning about putting SPAM on the boards! I hope you know I did that in jest of the SPAM!!! Please delete my thread... but AFTER you delete the SPAM threads.)

Most of my skate were pretty Fusty Friday: :frus:

Working on back crossovers... they are better but not as good as towards the end of Thursday's lesson.
BI3's - meh... Still working on the BI edge drill.
FO3's - CHECK!!! Check, please!!! (After the turn, it's curving too much back to the axis after the 3turns.)
Cross strokes: Some success (i.e. edge growls and am moving at a good speed), some failures (i.e. toe scratches.) This is the same case for both forwards and backward ones.
Power pulls: Forward ones aren't that great (but not bad either.) Back power pulls: Can't do the coordination between the edge that the skating foot is one, the arms and the free legs. :frus:

Layne
12-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Festive: I'm going to be a figure skater!

Fusty: I'm not one yet.

I think I'm doing pretty good for the few times I've been on ice, I just want to be able to skate on one foot holding a girl over my head NOW! :lol:

kander
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Festive: Did one of each of my tricks in the same session for the first time in a long time. Did a beautiful axel. Got to skate in snow last week!

Fusty: Had a major crash and burn on an axel. My hip is still sore :cry: I almost ran over a little kid who was skating completely oblivous to his surroundings. I'm going to take the next couple days off from skating so I can be fresh for my lesson on wednesday.

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Welcome to skatingforums, Layne. I keep telling all the boys/men I meet that figure skating is a great way to meet women...

Fusty: (What does "fusty mean?")
My feet measure for a 7-1/2 Jackson boot. The width charts at an "E" or "EE," according to Jackson, lol. Of course there are none available for try on and anything wider than a "C" width cannot be returned if it's the wrong size. :giveup: GRRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm never going to really skate again, are I?

Festive:
Spins were decent and almost centered. Need a sharpening; going to try and get that done today. Maybe the guy at the pro shop can take a look at the alignment as well.

Skated through one of my soloists' programs and switched out a few jumps. Not too bad - got around on the loop. Wish my skates didn't feel like someone else's. Maybe if I go back to wearing pantyhose...

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Got to skate in snow last week!I thought of you on Saturday. I had to run back into the rink itself to talk to another coach after I was all set to leave. The public session had already started. The windows of the rink were really dark - I thought we had had a power outage. They had the disco lights going. It was so cool and I felt guilty for not letting my kids stay and skate, but it had already been a loooong day.

jp1andOnly
12-07-2009, 09:52 AM
try Graf's or Gams. Jackson just remodelled their boots and I find them much narrower then in the past....

Welcome to skatingforums, Layne. I keep telling all the boys/men I meet that figure skating is a great way to meet women...

My feet measure for a 7-1/2 Jackson boot. The width charts at an "E" or "EE," according to Jackson, lol. Of course there are none available for try on and anything wider than a "C" width cannot be returned if it's the wrong size. :giveup: GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Festive:
Spins were decent and almost centered. Need a sharpening; going to try and get that done today. Maybe the guy at the pro shop can take a look at the alignment as well.

Skated through one of my soloists' programs and switched out a few jumps. Not too bad - got around on the loop. Wish my skates didn't feel like someone else's. Maybe if I go back to wearing pantyhose...

Skittl1321
12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

This is my issue with new skates too. I'm not quite that wide (a C width is pretty close to good for me- but my big toe is still quite squished) but I really need split widths. But it's "custom" so you can't return it. And of course, you can't try it on either. Who orders these things blind???

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
It would nice if Jackson had samples that they could send for us to try on at home in these situations. I'm going to have to check out others' boots and see if anyone has a Jackson in my size that I can slip into for a fit test.

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
It would nice if Jackson had samples that they could send for us to try on at home in these situations. I'm going to have to check out others' boots and see if anyone has a Jackson in my size that I can slip into for a fit test.
That would be your best bet-I'm not 100% happy with my boots, as they have had to be punched out mid-foot to accommodate my bone.....and they still hurt a bit (especially if I skate a lot).

Kat12
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Oh, how bad am I that I haven't posted in a while!!! Anyway.

Only three of us at class this past Friday. I took a couple spills but none even remotely bad. Rink Buddy T, on the other hand, fell backward on a toe loop and whacked her head. she said she feels better now though. OW. We were a bit worried about her, obviously! She is also getting used to new blades, so, yeah! All mostly went as usual, though apparently I did one salchow that RB A said was awesome. Didn't feel awesome, but oh well. :)

Was back to the home rink on Sunday for the first time in a few weeks (other stuff to do on Sunday afternoon and being out of town kept me away). No rink buddies showed up there. But there were plenty of the usual little kids, several figure skater types, and a "class" with two young girls and instructor...it was another one of those "wow you're progressing way too fast" trainwreck things...went from waltz jumps to toe loops (which resembled drunken Mazurkas, lol) to loops (and I should mention that neither kid could hold a landing edge) to spins (okay, I'll admit it. There is nothing more disheartening than seeing little kids learning to "spin" and after a couple tries they can do it, and I don't know that I'll EVER be able to) to hydroplaning to Y spirals (on kids who couldn't do a Y on dry land holding onto a railing if their life depended on it). My favorite though was the guy there with his young daughter who asked me out in the lobby how one laces figure skates (must be the first time he's taken a girl skating), then on the ice asked how one stops in figure skates, and afterward thanked me for the tips and disclosed that he didn't know if you sharpen figure blades and had figured we skated on them dull. Really???? I wonder where things like this come from, lol.

I stuck to working on edges (dismal...in practice my edges aren't that bad like for spirals and landing jumps, but put me in the exercise for edges that I'd encounter on a test and I SUCK at it. Still am trying out figure out why I skid on edges sometimes in the past couple months. Coach has ruled out a skate problem, which I knew she would. So I guess it's just me. Seems to be worse when I skate edges on a straight leg), spins (awful as always), our exercise with 3-turns and mazurkas (improving slightly, but hard to practice in the small space of the center circle), and only jumps I worked on were salchow (seems a few turned out okay, or at least felt okay--that is, okay for me, not okay in general) and toe loop (sucks) as I currently work on those from standstill. Waltz jump I do from back crossovers and I am just not confident enough to do it in such a crowded rink...I don't trust that by the time I am ready to jump, I'll have a clear space to do so, so why frustrate myself by having to abort at least half my jumps? I'll save those for freestyle sessions.

Layne
12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
he didn't know if you sharpen figure blades and had figured we skated on them dull. Really???? I wonder where things like this come from, lol.

I always thought they were sharpened like a knife on the bottom, I only recently learned they have 2 edges. It seems to be a common misconception. I was relieved though that if someone skates over my fingers, they probably won't be cut off. 8O

phoenix
12-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I was relieved though that if someone skates over my fingers, they probably won't be cut off. 8O

Don't be so sure about that.... seriously. If you look at your blades, you'll see that in reality, you have not one knife edge, but two.

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't be so sure about that.... seriously. If you look at your blades, you'll see that in reality, you have not one knife edge, but two.
We have one girl at my rink that has a camel spin that is soooo fast, I tease her that her spin is a "whirling Ginzu spin" (after the ginzu knives often seen advertised on tv).....her blades are at neck level and get to close and THWACK....you could lose your head 8O

Seriously, be careful wiping off your blades, as you can cut yourself (I know this for sure).

dbny
12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I was relieved though that if someone skates over my fingers, they probably won't be cut off. 8O

That actually happened at my rink. A girl on a public session fell, hands on the ice, and a guy coming along behind her in nicely sharpened hockey skates went over her little finger. The girl and the finger went to the hospital together for re-attachment surgery. This is why hockey players are taught to get up with no hands on the ice! Then there's Brian Joubert's recent injury (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/vancouver/figureskating/2009-11-27-joubert-surgery_N.htm), which I think is speaks to both the sharpness of figure blades and the force of landing a triple.

Layne
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Well yes, obviously they are still very dangerous, and anything could happen. But it's a lot less scary than when I thought they were more like machetes. A friend laughed at me because I work with dangerous machines all day at work but I was more concerned about losing my fingers to skates. I will just try my best to keep my hands off the ice.

PinkLaces
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Seriously, be careful wiping off your blades, as you can cut yourself (I know this for sure).

I have gone through many a pair of gloves that way LOL

doubletoe
12-08-2009, 03:06 PM

Is there some way to get measured by an actual Jackson company representative? I know Harlick and SP Teri always have people traveling and doing fittings at rinks across the country. I would think that if someone from Jackson fits you, they would be obligated to let you return the boots if they don't fit, KWIM?

Kat12
12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I kinda used to feel that way about hockey skates...I thought the blades were really narrow and sharp!

phoenix
12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Festive: Well, my new trainer at my new gym has joined my coach in trying to kill me! She had me do mostly upper body work, which of course being a skater, I'm very weak on! She's also going to help re-balance my legs as my quads are WAY overdeveloped and my gluts/hamstrings are very underdeveloped. (now how could that have happened??!)

Fusty: Friday in my lesson my right knee felt very "off"; not painful really, but just not right & my skating reflected it. Saturday while teaching it was still way "off" and was actually moving into the realm of pain, so I took Sun/Mon off from practicing. So back on the ice tomorrow, and crossing fingers that it's resolved itself!!!

jazzpants
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
phoenix re: conspiracy: Welcome to MY world!!! My trainer and two skating coaches are ALWAYS trying to kill me!!! And I come back for MORE too. DANG AOSS!!! :twisted: :lol: (Seriously, I'm thankful b/c I'm now justified for buying more crap from LLBean!!! I've been eyeing the deluxe rolling backpacks! Or maybe it's time for me to go "sk8er grrrl" and get a Zuca!!! :twisted: )

Festive:
Worked on a move I haven't worked on in a while... forward perimeter crossovers move!!! Needs tweeking but looked much better towards the end.

Festy:
Forward power pulls! Today, my primary coach is working on my getting more knee bend. Apparently based on this dialog, I'm not doing it right:

Coach: Okay does your quads hurt?
Me: Slightly tired but no, it doesn't hurt, why?
Coach: Then you don't have enough knee bend. Your quads are supposed to be SCREAMING!!! Do them again... with MORE knee bend!!! :twisted:

I've had glimpses of glory towards the end though. I did hear some RIPPING sounds and it's definitely from towards the back of the blade! 8-)

Have to miss lesson with secondary coach this week. I have work and life obligations to take care of, so I couldn't take a lesson with her on our normal day and time. She forgot that she doesn't come on Tuesday mornings anymore. Should NOT have scheduled her lesson for this morning with me. :lol:

And to add humor to the Festy section, it's COLDER outside than inside and I live in "sunny California." It's now tettering around the freezing mark and we've had incidence of black ice this morning!!! It's actually WARMER in the rink than the outside!!! 8O

The only "Festive" part of this whole weather thing (and those of you who live in the NYC/NJ area will agree) it's good preparation for me to get used to the weather when I come visiting Christmas time!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

londonicechamp
12-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Sorry for not posting for a while. I was caught up in many things this past week. :roll: I now have lessons two days in a row, thur and fri afternoons :D

Thursday

Fusty

Coach taught me alternate outside and inside 3 turns. I had a tendency to push towards my toe pick. Might be a result of me skating 3 times during my recent visit to London recently, in their outdoor rink, using hired skates. Felt slightly weird when I first went on the ice, but after about 3 mins, the problem resolved itself.

Was still on jet lag. Told the skating school that I only came back from London the Wednesday before, but they still booked me in for a lesson for Thursday. 8O Luckily, I only fell once whilst practising a sit spin.

Spins were not that centred, just leaned body backwards too much. Seemed to sort that out when my coach told me to do a few last spins. :D

Umm, coach suddenly realised that I should have learnt a half loop before a loop. Felt weird doing the jump. :halo:

A lot of school children due to the 1 month vacation in Singapore. One of the ice marshalls told me to practise my jumps in the middle. A coach told me to be extra careful, as his student was right behind my back, was doing a camel spin, and did not want his student to chop my head off. :o

Backspin still sucks, though the speed was there.

Festive
Crossovers consistent.
Alternating 3 turns stronger on the right than the left.
For my change foot spins, the first two spins were nice.
Jumps were not too bad. Did toe loop, salchow and half flip.

Friday

Fusty
Still something wrong with my forward spins, trying to sort out what the problem was.
Backspin still sucks.
Getting the feel of a half loop, though still felt weird.
Needed to remember the pulling in and arms action for my salchow and toe loop.

Festive
Did forward crossovers, they seemed to be more consistent now.
Did alternating 3 turns with dips on both toes. Finally got it in the end. :lol:
Backward inside 3 turns better than backward outside 3s. 8-)
Did half flip with pulling in arms action. Coach said that I improved my height in that jump drastically. I considered that the greatest achievement of my skating of that week, given that I was still on jet lag. :)
My coach e-mailed me and all her other students about ISI testing at 22nd of this month. I do not want to give myself too much pressure, so did not ask my coach to sign me on. Maybe will test in another few months or so.

Non skating related, I gave the rainbow lollipops which I brought back from an old sweete shop, to my 7 or 8 year old skating friend. She brought the lollipop and showed it to me, coz I gave the lollipops to her dad, and the little girl seemed to be super happy. :D:D:D

londonicechamp

Shouldn't someone start a new thread, considering that it is now another week?

Isk8NYC
12-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Shouldn't someone start a new thread, considering that it is now another week?

New thread is here: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=30214

londonicechamp
12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi Isk8NYC

Thanks.

I should post something in the new thread too, after my lesson and practice today and tomorrow, as I now have lessons two days in a row.

londonicechamp