View Full Version : Isu

Pandora
11-27-2009, 08:17 AM
This looks interesting....but are these international competitions? 8O(Have to travel to Germany, etc.?) Looks like they allow skaters to register themselves by jump level (not test level.):D http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=29395 (Under the heading where it mentions a few rule differences.) This could be what I am looking for. (So I can stop bothering you all.;))

Has anyone skated this? Is there anything held annually in the US? Obviously hard to travel to Oberstdorf.:roll:

Do you know if they (ISU) are on the road to requiring tests based upon US model? Have been reading their site, but some of it is kind of hard to figure out. It is tricky to navigate and I'm having trouble finding an "adult" section. Was wondering if anyone here knows more about it.....????? Would like to skate this, (no tests needed :D), but cannot travel outside US. (Too much $ to travel for hobby. Husband will burn my skates.;))

slusher
11-27-2009, 09:59 AM
There is talk that the ISU adult competition will be held in North America one day. I do know skaters who however save all their money and only do the ISU competition once a year, bypassing all their own countries adult events because of not fitting into their proscribed competition category at home. That's more a case of skating down because they've lost their jumps due to age or injury, and no one is skating down on purpose to win.

Pandora
11-27-2009, 11:13 AM
So....right now this is only a one a year event in Germany (or maybe a few events throughout Europe), right? ....But nothing in the US now.

Skittl1321
11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Right now the only ISU sanctioned adult competition is Obsterdorf.

There are other adult competitions in Europe, but they are not ISU competitions- so the country's requirements are used to enter the event, not the ISU's.

Pandora
11-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Bummer! :cry: But thanks for the info, Skittl. :D

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Not really a bummer. In fact, some of the other competitions are probably more suited to your needs than the ISU competition would be, as the ISU still requires you to have a well-balanced programme. But there are often other classes in the European competitions, such as an Interpretive class, where you are telling a story or interpreting a piece of music or a character on the ice. And I've just returned from a competition in France where one of the classes was "creative skills", where you turned your Field Moves skills into interpreting a piece of music or a character. And in the ordinary interpretive classes we were treated to a routine from Baywatch that had most of the spectators sobbing with laughter. This was a couples routine, and the woman also did a solo Amy Winehouse that was very funny.

Pandora
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh that sounds so funny! :lol: I think ISI is like that over here. They have a lot of different catagories including even rhythmic events (skating with hoops, balls, or ribbons.) Very cool! 8-)

Clarice
12-02-2009, 05:29 AM
People do stuff like that in USFS interpretive events, too. I've seen all kinds of crazy costumes and props. And some really good skating, too! Those events do have jump limits, though.

Pandora
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes, I think you are right about USFS. Took a quick look at ISI and it looks like they kind of lump everything together after test 5 or 6, so would only have to go that high. This might be the answer!!! ;) :D Have to look further into it when I get some time. Work. Holidays. Skating. UGH!!!! :roll: Too much! Need 12 more hours in day. Same work load. Might get something done then. ;)

hanca
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Mountain Cup has the same requierements as the ISU competition in Oberstdorf, so you would like it too. (people put themselves into any category they feel they can do). Though Mountain cup is in Europe too.

coskater64
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Mountain cup follows US figure skating guidelines, I have gone for the last 5 years. The levels pre bronze, bronze, silver, gold and then masters are similar to the ISU event but you still need to have passed tests in your home country. Where countries have no tests skaters generally select their level based on skills sets.

Leslie:halo: