View Full Version : adult skating documentary

Mel On Ice
11-26-2009, 01:47 PM
I was at ANs in '05 and '06 when someone was filming a documetary on adult skating. I haven't heard anything about it since. Anyone know anything about it?

Black Sheep
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I emailed the crew of this documentary several times begging them to let me be in it, but they refused to have me in it. They just gave me the song-and-dance about how they couldn't use every adult skater who wanted to be in it. It sure didn't make it easier for me to skate my program in Dallas (2006) with all the cameras around filming every other skater but ignoring me. When I got home, I told them I hope their project goes bust.

(Looking for my flame-retardant jumpsuit....)

jp1andOnly
11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
that seems childish...seriously. Hope you have grown up since then (I'm assumikng you have :) )

I emailed the crew of this documentary several times begging them to let me be in it, but they refused to have me in it. They just gave me the song-and-dance about how they couldn't use every adult skater who wanted to be in it. It sure didn't make it easier for me to skate my program in Dallas (2006) with all the cameras around filming every other skater but ignoring me. When I got home, I told them I hope their project goes bust.

(Looking for my flame-retardant jumpsuit....)

Black Sheep
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
that seems childish...seriously. Hope you have grown up since then (I'm assumikng you have :) )

Sure I have, but you are just as nasty and fingerpointing as ever.

Where the Hell is the Ignore function on this board...ah, there it is! Flame away, folks. Who's next?

NoVa Sk8r
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I was at ANs in '05 and '06 when someone was filming a documetary on adult skating. I haven't heard anything about it since. Anyone know anything about it?This is the documentary (produced by Nisma & Brigitte):
http://icedocs.com/
I believe that it is in post-production and that they are trying to find a place for it to be debuted. I'll ask Brigitte the next time I see/speak to her ...

Debbie S
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
that seems childish...seriously. Hope you have grown up since then (I'm assumikng you have :) )Well, if her response (at least, the one she posted about on this board) to the Adult Committee chair for not featuring her ASAP in Skating Mag is any indication, maybe not. :roll:

Black Sheep, do you see a pattern with your behavior? Seriously, something is not right. How old are you, anyway? You sound like someone who never got over being rejected by the popular crowd in high school. Sheesh.

I couldn't even skate at '06 AN, b/c I didn't pass my Bronze MIF (or FS) in time. So there. Be happy that you had the chance to go....and didn't, you know, have a broken leg or something that would keep you out of skating for almost a year. :twisted:

doubletoe
11-28-2009, 12:24 AM
This is the documentary (produced by Nisma & Brigitte):
http://icedocs.com/
I believe that it is in post-production and that they are trying to find a place for it to be debuted. I'll ask Brigitte the next time I see/speak to her ...

Oh, cool! I keep forgetting to ask Nisma about it, and just assumed they had both gotten really busy with other things. It will be nice to see it finally come out! :)

BTW, I was initially interviewed for this documentary as well, but I was not chosen. I know it was not personal, though. They can only choose so many people to feature, and they select those people based on a number of criteria based on the final product they have in mind. (With about 500 competitors at AN, 10 people is 2%. I personally only saw about 2 people getting filmed.)

jp1andOnly
11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
lol..wasn't fingerpointing..just saying.

You know people would scratch their heads and wonder WTF...that being said, if you didnt want anyone to say anything, you shouldn't have posted. Geez

Sure I have, but you are just as nasty and fingerpointing as ever.

Where the Hell is the Ignore function on this board...ah, there it is! Flame away, folks. Who's next?

coskater64
11-28-2009, 06:37 AM
My understanding is that it is post production...

I was one of the skaters in it, along with Shannon, Jason, Tara, Andy and several others.

The documentary folks were Nisma and Brigette from NYC, they were very nice and shockingly they couldn't fit everyone into it who wanted. I don't know how I got picked, they were at a lot of comps I met Nisma in Salt Lake City at a comp and then saw her at sectionals and then Nats the following year. It seemed they tended to follow skaters from a variety of sections. Andy was west, I was midwest, Shannon as well. Jason and Tara from the east coast also a pairs couple at the time.

With regards to Black Sheep, her screen name is typical of how she perceives herself, always a victim/outcast. Last years artistic at mids....you should really learn how to be a better sport, you didn't see me acting like a 4 year old. Its a sport, you win and you lose, if you can't accept it then maybe you shouldn't compete and it is that behavior that makes people cringe and why you weren't picked.

RachelSk8er
11-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Black Sheep, do you see a pattern with your behavior? Seriously, something is not right. How old are you, anyway? You sound like someone who never got over being rejected by the popular crowd in high school. Sheesh.

You're talking to the same girl who didn't like her results in interp at mids last year so in front of a group of people (many of whom were in the same group and wanted to see their results too), she ripped the result sheet off the wall and stormed out of the rink.

Black Sheep
11-28-2009, 11:48 AM
My understanding is that it is post production...
With regards to Black Sheep, her screen name is typical of how she perceives herself, always a victim/outcast. Last years artistic at mids....you should really learn how to be a better sport, you didn't see me acting like a 4 year old. Its a sport, you win and you lose, if you can't accept it then maybe you shouldn't compete and it is that behavior that makes people cringe and why you weren't picked.

Well, if I could actually win more often, I might behave "like an adult". I'm just letting people know I'm fed up with losing, losing, losing, and some of the reasons why I DO lose are ridiculous! I'm not sorry anymore for my actions, but some of you might be if you don't cut out the damn fingerpointing....and I mean it!

Terri C
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I couldn't even skate at '06 AN, b/c I didn't pass my Bronze MIF (or FS) in time. So there. Be happy that you had the chance to go....and didn't, you know, have a broken leg or something that would keep you out of skating for almost a year. :twisted:

Or better yet, be damned happy that you can go to AN every year... yes, I know you were injured last year, but last year was my first and may be my only AN that I will get to go to.

Black Sheep
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Or better yet, be damned happy that you can go to AN every year... yes, I know you were injured last year, but last year was my first and may be my only AN that I will get to go to.

I'm skipping Wyandotte, Mids, and AN this year because I haven't been happy at any of them. Good time for me to actually polish up some of my skills so's I can actually get points for them....

RachelSk8er
11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, if I could actually win more often, I might behave "like an adult". I'm just letting people know I'm fed up with losing, losing, losing, and some of the reasons why I DO lose are ridiculous! I'm not sorry anymore for my actions, but some of you might be if you don't cut out the damn fingerpointing....and I mean it!

I'm speechless...correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you compete at adult competitions where adult behavior is expected from competitors (especially someone in her 30s)? Have you ever seen anyone else put on such ridiculous, disrespectful, childish displays when they are unhappy with how they place? No parent or coach would even allow a child to behave that way in front of other skaters, coaches, and especially in front of judges. (Do you want judges to remember a temper tantrum the next time they're on your panel and you're on the ice competing?) We have all been unhappy with a placement or a performance, that's normal. But the key is to focus that energy into working hard and doing better next time. Or learning to simply be happy with a performance where you skate well but may not place high. Especially in an event like interp where it's so utterly subjective and results really don't matter because they can come out completely different with a different panel of judges. If you can't handle that, maybe competing is not for you.

And now you're threatening people? :roll:

Debbie S
11-28-2009, 02:23 PM
And now you're threatening people? :roll:I figure I'm safe since I won't be at an adult comp for at least a year or more. Heck, I'd settle for just being able to go shopping right now.

I wish this board had a vomit icon.

Black Sheep, no one is "fingerpointing". We are discussing comments you posted out in the open. When you post something on the Internet, it lives forever (duh!) and if you don't want people to disagree with what you post, then don't post it. Think before you say/write something (wow, what a concept). :roll:

jazzpants
11-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I wish this board had a vomit icon. So do I! Until then... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/k010.gif

:twisted:

Black Sheep: Trust me... you don't need all that glam and glory, girlfriend! There's a lot of expectations and pressure placed upon you if you are perceived as a frontrunner rather than someone who "comes from behind." MUCH easier, IMHO, to just work on specific technical goals that you can measure and control (i.e. land a clean axel with flow coming out) rather than on placements (i.e. to medal or win at AN.) which you can't really control. KWIM?

And I'm sad also that I can't go to AN this coming year. Would LOVE to do some major SHOPPING at the BIG MALL!!! But... I know my finances and my skating. ALL my coaches and I agreed that staying home and getting Silver Moves out of the way is the right thing for me as of now. (Besides, I have to humor myself to see if my new primary coach could do "Mission Impossible II" -- getting me to pass Silver Moves and dare I say, even the Gold Moves? What a concept, huh? :P :lol: :twisted: )

(*sigh* Mel... when I saw that post, I was thinking "Oh, NO!!! Not this topic again!!! I had a feeling this was gonna happen. :( )

JazzySkate
11-28-2009, 06:56 PM

I lurk more often than post, but will say this:

Blacksheep, please understand one thing. If it weren't for Rhea Schwartz (and probably others), who championed USFS long and hard to recognize adult skaters, AN wouldn't exist. Adult skaters would not be given the respect and recognition we rightfully deserve. There wouldn't be Adult Skating Camps, Adult Groups. Parents wouldn't be taking lessons and skating right along with their kids. (Some) coaches wouldn't think of teaching adults. When I started skating in the early '80's, you could count the number of adult skaters-and most were geared towards Ice Dancing.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion (I'm not taking sides), but I think you're losing focus as to what AN is really all about: self-gratification, self-esteem, pride, networking, cameraderie and again, recognition and respect for all adult skaters, be they competitors or recreational. It's not about grabbing a medal and there's no monetary purse.

Please be glad there's AN's to begin with. It didn't have to exist. Skating in AN's a priviledge, not a right. The skating community's much smaller than you think, and if you continue your negative attitude your name'll go out faster than you can tie your skates. Then you wonder why you're marked low, or out.

Free Your Mind. The Rest Will Follow.

Black Sheep
11-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Truth is, nowadays that whole adult skater documentary thing doesn't bother me like it used to. I have no idea why I reacted like I did, and I feel like such a fool. Today if they were looking for adult skaters for another "icedocs" style documentary, I just would not be interested. Fame and medals clearly aren't everything, I know....:giveup:

sk8joyful
11-28-2009, 08:51 PM
This is the documentary (produced by Nisma & Brigitte): http://icedocs.com/
I believe that it is in post-production and that they are trying to find a place for it to be debuted. I'll ask Brigitte.

Somebody made a documentary..., about what (in this case, breast-cancer?) challenges, that some people face, & yet triumph :!: over... how Inspirational!
Tho I overcame a leukemia-threat in '82, in my own way;
that wasn't as hard as the challenge, after which I laced-up my 1st. ever skates, determined I will continue my passion-for-life... :!:, that won't quit, keeping the goals bright... this I know ;)

Good!! for them :bow: & good for me!

JazzySkate
11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
What a mess!

Truth is, nowadays that whole adult skater documentary thing doesn't bother me like it used to. I have no idea why I reacted like I did, and I feel like such a fool. Today if they were looking for adult skaters for another "icedocs" style documentary, I just would not be interested. Fame and medals clearly aren't everything, I know....

Black Sheep - It's ok. We all say things and regret them later. We're human.

Please take pride and be Proud you're an Adult Skater, in a sport that some other adults (and even kids) are afraid to take part in. I know I am. That's the bottom line, and for me, that's all that matters. : )