View Full Version : My idea for Holiday show..dorky or not?

herniated
11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello all my skating friends,
Ok, I had decided long ago that I was NOT going to do any Holiday shows. NONE..because I'm working on my Bronze dances and don't have time to work on an artistic/show program. Well, now everyone at the rinks are talking about it and now i want to do it of course. It just doesn't seem like the holiday unless I totally stress myself out and perform in public. :lol:

Here is my thought on what I can do...and I need straight from the hip honest responses. Please, don't just tell me that it would be great. Ok, Since I'm working on my Bronze dances and am competiting the Ten Fox in a solo competition in March? Why can't I do the Ten Fox - solo - maybe with different music to make it more interesting with an intro and ending choreographed to it....Dorky or not dorky?

What do you all think?

Skittl1321
11-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I think it's a fine idea. 95% of the audience will have no idea that it's a compulsory dance.

We've had people Dutch Waltz in the holiday show before- to holiday music, solo or same sex partnered. This would be even more interesting than that, and give you a chance to put it out in public.

icedancer2
11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
It's a great idea - there is some music floating around the skating world that is the compulsory dances done to holiday Christmas music and you could use that!

Clarice
11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I think it certainly could work. My dance partner and I were in a show only a few months after teaming up. We did a "free dance" that was really just the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango with a choreographed intro and ending - worked great!

herniated
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I think it certainly could work. My dance partner and I were in a show only a few months after teaming up. We did a "free dance" that was really just the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango with a choreographed intro and ending - worked great!

If I had a partner I'd have no prob doing this. It's the solo part that I'm concerned about looking dorky...

Clarice
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Could you make it all about the costume? Be a dancing snow man or Christmas tree or something? Kids would love it.

herniated
11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Could you make it all about the costume? Be a dancing snow man or Christmas tree or something? Kids would love it.

OH...NoooooOOOOoo, lol :lol: Not me. Not my style.

Skittl1321
11-25-2009, 02:38 PM
If I had a partner I'd have no prob doing this. It's the solo part that I'm concerned about looking dorky...

You look fine solo. Are you confident enough in the dance to do arm flourishes?

herniated
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
You look fine solo. Are you confident enough in the dance to do arm flourishes?

I think so...I guess I have to mention it to my coach and see what he thinks. But I think I can do arms.

Clarice
11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Okay, if you're going to do a straight-up compulsory dance pattern then, I'd try to break it up with some more choreography between patterns and maybe combine it with another dance pattern as well. Compulsory dances by themselves don't look very showy, because all it looks like is laps going around in the same direction. You need to try to lay out a more interesting pattern on the ice so it's not so predictable for the audience. I think the idea can work, but I wouldn't do JUST a dance pattern.

Skittl1321
11-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it might depend a bit on what kind of environment your holiday show is. Ours is very low key- so a compulsory dance wouldn't really be out of place, and since it's a mid-level one, I think it would be more interesting than the LTS numbers at least.

If yours is a fancy, production quality one, Clarice is probably right.

herniated
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
No it's not a fancy one at all. We don't even need holiday music.

Skittl1321
11-25-2009, 03:16 PM
No it's not a fancy one at all. We don't even need holiday music.

Yeah- ours doesn't either. Our synchro team just does whatever our program is. One year we used Thriller for the Christmas show :)

Most of the kids try to use holiday music (generally without changing their program to fit it) and the LTS numbers do, but some people just skate their programs.

RachelSk8er
11-27-2009, 10:27 AM
When I was a teenager, we always had a little solo dance thing in our Christmas show with holiday music. We'd pick one dance from each level and usually had 4 people solo it. It was nice, since most of us who did dance were synchro skaters and didn't do freestyle, we were otherwise unable to participate in the show unless our synchro team (which was out of a different home club) was invited to skate our program.

herniated
11-27-2009, 02:10 PM
When I was a teenager, we always had a little solo dance thing in our Christmas show with holiday music. We'd pick one dance from each level and usually had 4 people solo it. It was nice, since most of us who did dance were synchro skaters and didn't do freestyle, we were otherwise unable to participate in the show unless our synchro team (which was out of a different home club) was invited to skate our program.

that sounds nice. but this rink doesn't do that. But it's a great idea!!

PinkLaces
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
The year my DD started dance, she was asked to skate the Dutch Waltz in our ice show. I think if you did a nice intro, ending, and used some arm flourishes it would be a nice program.

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Your idea gave me an idea for some bits we needed for our show number....it's a "party scene" and we didn't know what to fill it with, so we are doing some dance stuff (we are partnered up so it will look more difficult than it really is). My partner is lower level than I am and after trying it out tonight it worked great. Thanks!!!

Let us know what your coach thinks of your idea!

herniated
11-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys! I feel encouraged and feel that I will NOT look stooopid doing this alone.:roll: And, my main concern is NOT to look stupid or dorky. Again, I wish I really had a partner but I don't.

I will talk to my coach on Monday!!!:)

herniated
11-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I think Ifound a good song. Christina Aguilera's 'Home for Christmas'. Going to try it out tomorrow.

Skate@Delaware
11-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I have a different dilemma, my "partner" in our ice show is a woman I've known for years at my rink, but she is many levels below me as far as skating goes. So I have to really stretch the choreography to incorporate her skills into the routine (most of the time both of her skates are firmly planted). So far, its going good and I'm happy to partner with her (we get along very well). But at first I was bummed out cause it meant no jumps or spins. I'm over that now and trying to be creative (I'm not a very creative person LOL).

I think you picked a beautiful song!!!!

herniated
11-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks Skate@Delaware, I have to run it past the coach first! If we lived closer I'd skate with you. I'm a Silver free skater (don't jump anymore) but can move my feet. :lol: Like shadow dancing..that was a suggestion from a friend.

herniated
11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, my coach thinks it's a G-r-e-a-t idea along with changing the music with the beginning and end choreographed! YAY!!!

I made a mistake the song I'm thinking of is "Everybody is Home for Christmas"

herniated
12-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Ok, The song I picked is not going to work! I have some others in mind but I have to edit it quickly. Here's my question, (maybe I should start a new thread) I have music already downloaded on my computer, how do I shorten it onto another cd? Nothing fancy, just need to shorten.

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
You mean cut it a bit shorter? Can your coach edit it for you? That might be the easier thing if you aren't very familiar with editing software.

herniated
12-05-2009, 01:21 PM
He didn't offer but I'll ask him. I recently downloaded editing software but I must be an idiot cause I can't seem to get it to work. Seems straight forward but...I just left a message for my teenage neighbor for help. lol

Mrs Redboots
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Audacity is easy enough to use - you can just select, copy, cut, paste and delete as necessary, just like text! I'm sure there was a tutorial somewhere, written by one of us (Rusty Blades?), but can't now find it.

Skate@Delaware
12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
there is a tutorial on the audacity website...it's pretty good. I'm sure there are more on the web as well.

Skittl1321
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Audacity is easy enough to use - you can just select, copy, cut, paste and delete as necessary, just like text! I'm sure there was a tutorial somewhere, written by one of us (Rusty Blades?), but can't now find it.

It's easy enough to use- it's pretty darn hard to use it well!

But I always figure I'm not going to the Olympics, and I can just fade out wherever I need to end.

herniated
12-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Ok, I got a D.J. friend to edit for me...thanks everybody for your suggestions. And, I'm going to skate to "Just Dance" Yup, Lady Gaga, lol. It's a stretch for me and 'outside the box' but it's so fun.

My coach choreographed the beginning, arm movements, and end today and I'm using the Hickory Hoedown instead of the Ten Fox. It goes better, faster but better. I haven't moved like this since I was in college on kickline/dance team. FUN!! Hope I can pull it off.8O