View Full Version : S.O.S Broken Skate! question before purchase

Franco
11-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Hello, the last night my boot death, i allready buy new skates in the states but im going to recive it in two month. i Need to purchase to day enything! my old skates have a MK 21 Blade. And the only blade that there is here to purchase now is a Ultima Mark IV. is a bad change? wich is better? (remember that is a temporary skate)

With MK 21 i'm doing axel, sit spin variations, camel, etc. the mark iv are going to bother me?

Sorry for me english!

Thank's a lott

Isk8NYC
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
The Ultima Mark IV is almost the same as the MK 21 blade. They both have a 7' rocker.

Just be sure to get your new blades sharpened before you use them - the factory sharpening doesn't last long and is often uneven in spots along the edges.

Skittl1321
11-23-2009, 11:15 AM
The Ultima Mark IV is almost the same as the MK 21 blade. They both have a 7' rocker.

The Mark IV has a 7' rocker? That's so odd, because if you just go up the level in Jackson boots- the next blade that comes on boots is the Mirage which has an 8' rocker. Wonder why they would do that to people!

The Mark IV seems an awfully low level blade for the skills listed, IMO.

Franco
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Thank you, is good to kwno that the Mark IV has a 7 rocker like de MK 21.

I know that the mark iv is a very low level blade for the skills listed, but is the only blade that i can purchase here in Argentina now. there isn't any other in stock!

i allready purchase Jackson Elite supreme with coronation ace in the states, but i'm waiting for them. Im going to recive it in 2 month.

Thank both a lot

Isk8NYC
11-23-2009, 12:16 PM
The Mark IV has a 7' rocker? That's so odd, because if you just go up the level in Jackson boots- the next blade that comes on boots is the Mirage which has an 8' rocker. Wonder why they would do that to people!

The Mark IV seems an awfully low level blade for the skills listed, IMO.
I read some specs on the 'net that said it was a 7' rocker. If you read something else, please feel free to correct.

The Jackson Freestyle boot-and-blade set uses the Mark IV, which is why I didn't question what I read - it's a good low-to-mid-level boot. The blade is well-made with chrome and hard steel. No weld joints or seams. The toerake is a good size but I didn't have a way to measure the rocker, so maybe you're right.

I didn't see any difference in DDs' skating when they switched to the MK Double Stars. I just switched one of the twins over to JW Coronation Aces and she loves them, even though she's not used to them yet. I can see much better edging and control in her skating after just a few sessions. Just found a good deal for the other twin, so we'll be swapping her blades too.

The OP is eventually getting Coronation Ace blades, which have a 7' rocker, so I hope the information I relayed was correct.

Skittl1321
11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh no, I haven't read differently, just thinking that was a mean trick of Jackson to pull, since most people around here seem to just go through their line of boot/blade combos, and after the Freestyle/Mark IV is the Competitor/Mirage and Mirage is 8'.

slusher
11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Older Competitor models, 6 - 8 years ago, had Mark IV blades. That was back before the big blade merger and Jackson coming out with their own line so they were real Mark IV blades, not Jackson's Ultima Mark IV's. I think the steel is a little cheaper in the Ultima Mark IV, but we're splitting hairs here. The difference would be in how many sharpenings the blade could take, and the OP just needs them until his new skates come from the US. He's not going to be changing rockers significantly, from M21 to mIV's to Aces.

doubletoe
11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh no, I haven't read differently, just thinking that was a mean trick of Jackson to pull, since most people around here seem to just go through their line of boot/blade combos, and after the Freestyle/Mark IV is the Competitor/Mirage and Mirage is 8'.

That's no different from Wilson. The Coronation Ace has a 7' rocker but the Pattern 99 and Gold Seal have an 8' rocker. Frankly, once you've skated on--and sharpened--7' rocker blades to the point where you need new ones, you've got a flatter rocker on the old 7' blade than the new 8' blade so the adjustment may even be easier than going from a 7' to 7'.

ibreakhearts66
11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
That's no different from Wilson. The Coronation Ace has a 7' rocker but the Pattern 99 and Gold Seal have an 8' rocker. Frankly, once you've skated on--and sharpened--7' rocker blades to the point where you need new ones, you've got a flatter rocker on the old 7' blade than the new 8' blade so the adjustment may even be easier than going from a 7' to 7'.

SO true. I was really worried about switching from Coronation Aces to Paramounts because of the rocker. I figured flatter blade combined with bigger toepicks was going to be a recipe for disaster. It turned out my Coronation Aces were so flat that everything, including spinning, was MUCH easier once I switched to the 8' rocker.