View Full Version : Wanted: Adult skaters' comments on skating apparel for research project

tapping_skater
11-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi adult skaters,

I'm "unlurking" long enough to ask (beg?) for your help with my graduate school research project.

I am asking female figure skaters in the U.S. (ages 51 and above) to voice their comments about ready-to-wear skating apparel. Sorry men, you'll have to wait until my next research project. :)

I'm interested in finding out whether you have had (or haven't had) design and fit issues with ready-to-wear skating apparel. No personal identifying information is collected, so feel free to be honest in your responses. ;)

The survey should take no longer than 10-15 minutes of your time, and your responses are very important!!! Please visit http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB229VWUGJHU9 before midnight, November 26, 2009 (Thanksgiving Day).

Many, many thanks in advance from a fellow skater,
Tapping_skater

stacyf419
11-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi - unfortunately I'm 41 so can't participate - what's the reason for the age 51 cutoff? Just wondering. Good luck with this!

tapping_skater
11-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Stacyf419,

I'm tying it into the aging of the U.S. population as the baby boomer generation ages (the oldest boomers are now around 63 and the youngest boomers are now around 45). I used 51+ for the survey because that is the age break for class IV in USFS adult comps (51-60 is class IV and 61+ is class V). Arbitrary, I know, but I wanted to limit the survey results a bit.

T_S

Skate@Delaware
11-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Aw, I'm almost 48 and too young as well.

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2009, 04:09 AM
And although I fit the age demographic, I live in the UK, not the US, so presumably you don't want my participation, either (although I have bought dresses in the US).

londonicechamp
11-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi

Sorry, I am too young as well, as only 33 years old.

Also, I live in Singapore, and not the USA, and so in that respect, won't be able to help you either. Sorry!!!!!!

londonicechamp

tapping_skater
11-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Mrs. Redboots,

I'd love to have your input, particularly if you can answer the questions based on your experience with the dresses you bought in the US.

T_P

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Okay, have done!

kayskate
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
i am also too young for your survey and have made my own dresses anyway. However, I looked at your Qs on the first page. As a former textile science and fashion major, I am interested in the results of your survey. Do you plan to post/share results? Please let us know. Thanks.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I also make my own, or re-make ones I find. I have a long torso and have trouble fitting everywhere (especially the arms). I just don't like a lot of the dresses I find-or they fit "funny" pull, bunch etc. I actually prefer separates, cause it's easier to make nature calls! When nerves kick in....you know?

Skittl1321
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm not old enough to answer the survey, but looking at the questions, I'm not sure the answers will tell the whole story. I know I don't have any difficulty finding dresses that will fit my bust, my waist, my hips, or my girth- so I'd have to answer all those questions as not having any difficulty. However, it's difficult for me to find a skating dress in general because I have trouble finding dresses that will fit ALL of those at the same time!

(It is difficult to find dresses that have long skirts, and also ones to cover a full bra, but since I only need a bra for "cold coverage" and not support, I can stick a half bra into the front of a dress, so that's not an issue for me. I don't like to skate in sleeves, so I've never looked for those)

tapping_skater
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
However, it's difficult for me to find a skating dress in general because I have trouble finding dresses that will fit ALL of those at the same time!

Skittl1321, good point!!

Ladies, if you're just now taking a peek at this thread (and you meet the demographic criteria), it's not too late to get your comments in before the survey closes. I truly, truly appreciate it.

You know what I'll be doing over Thankgiving weekend - analyzing data!! :lol: No Black Friday shopping for me!

T_P