View Full Version : National Showcase???

Pandora
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Have found something about this on USFS site but still not exactly sure what it is? Does it operate under same rules as regular USFS nats (ie. test levels, restricions on jumps by level etc.) or is it a more "open" event? (Can use all moves at any level?) Guess you qualify by placing on a showcase event......are these available at states/regionals....(like "regular" events)...So confused... :(

doubletoe
11-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Have found something about this on USFS site but still not exactly sure what it is? Does it operate under same rules as regular USFS nats (ie. test levels, restricions on jumps by level etc.) or is it a more "open" event? (Can use all moves at any level?) Guess you qualify by placing on a showcase event......are these available at states/regionals....(like "regular" events)...So confused... :(

You can qualify by placing in the top 4 in any artistic/interpretive competition; it doesn't have to be Adult Sectionals or Nationals (and honestly, many local competitions don't have more than 4 adults in each artistic competition so that makes it easy to qualify). The competitions are divided by test level, just like other competitions, but I think you might be allowed to do any jump you want, since no jump limits are stated in the event announcement. However, the difficulty of the jumps is not taken into account in the placements, and any mistakes on jumps will count against you.
The rules are here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/ShowcaseRules.pdf
The event announcement (which also has rules stated) is here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/events/200809/nationalshowcase/2009NationalShowcaseAnnouncement.pdf

Pandora
11-20-2009, 05:08 PM
According to the link Adult/Master seems to be all thrown together. (So I'm thinking if I tested up to Adult Bronze and just did ONE artistic competition at that level....even if I had to single all my jumps and take out some spins.....Yes, that would be unfair, but what else can I do?:roll:) Then for National Showcase, since you are NOT given any credit for technical difficulty....I was thinking that ANY moves would be allowed since you are not given credit for the difficulty of the moves (only for the skating and how the moves realate to the music). Of, course, then I would probably score pretty low.....:lol: (Especially if a judge wanted to make an example of me for including some higher level stuff.) But that's ok.:D At least could get to skate my program. Making up a really good one.....but no where to skate it (except maybe at adult camp in LP.) :cry:

Skate@Delaware
11-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Pandora, is the issue really you wanting to skate in public doing skating UP to your level with NO restrictions on your skating? If so, have you ever thought about skating in ice shows?

Pandora
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Can't do triples. :cry:
Also, can't learn group routines. Left foot, right foot......arrrrrgh! Confusing. :roll: Always end up on left foot when everyone else is on right. :lol:

Clarice
11-22-2009, 07:11 AM
There is a rule in the USFS rule book that says that Masters and Adult Interpretive free skates cannot contain axels or multi-revolution jumps. That would apply to Adult Nationals as well as the adult events at National Showcase (the showcase rules specifically quote the rule in the rule book). They're deliberately deemphasizing jumps in favor of skating and theatrical skills. Pandora, I can't think of anything within USFS where you can just jump without passing tests or otherwise demonstrating basic skating skills. There are "jumps only" events at local competitions, but even then you have to be at the appropriate test level, and you have to do the jumps specified.

Pandora
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, unfortunately, think you are right. Will just have to make own routines and post on youtube for fun. That's ok. Can still compete on inlines if I can really want to. No tests needed there. :D (Unfortunately, roller competitions are so few and far between have to travel over 6 or 7 states to even get to one.....:roll:)

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Can't do triples. :cry:
Also, can't learn group routines. Left foot, right foot......arrrrrgh! Confusing. :roll: Always end up on left foot when everyone else is on right. :lol:
That would be ok at our shows....we all do that and it's ok! We finally broke free from the "old way" of doing show stuff and the ladies of the rink (we are all over 40) get to pretty much "embellish" which means what it means. The new director gives us license to be creative and actually do what we want! It's awesome and beats doing swizzle-pump-waist-trains which we did for years with the previous director. I think many show directors push your creativity that way.