View Full Version : Spinning or Splat Practice Thread 11/16 - 11/23

tazsk8s
11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Old thread was getting kind of outdated. This one should take us into Thanksgiving week (US).

Spinning:

First lesson with my coach since my injury. We nitpicked my flip, which is my absolutely favorite, and strongest, jump, but has been getting a little scratchy. Worked on the backspin also, and it was cooperating well. My coach was pleased especially given the amount of time I was off.

Splat:

My coach agrees that I seem to be a bit gun-shy on back outside edges. Which is understandable given that my fall happened on the 8 step. We spent half my lesson doing remedial back outside edge exercises.

My lutz. OK, I didn't splat it but that's because it doesn't even get off the ground. Part of it is my edge-o-phobia. Part of it is my timing was almost non-existent on it...bringing the back arm through WAY too soon. A teeny TINY part of me would like to blame the early morning hour...it was my first AM skate since this summer as well. But realistically it has been just as erratic in the afternoons.

dance2sk8
11-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Spinning: I am now able to do the splits!!!! :bow: So excited!!! Did it once over the weekend, and again yesterday. Gaining flexibility over the past couple of years. Bonus! My back flexibility is starting to come along more and more.

Sit spins are now consistently low. Yay. :lol: Consistent on my entry into my camel spin and scratch. Not traveling anywhere near as much as I used to.

Able to do consistent waltz and salchow jumps since my ankle injury. No pain yesterday with my ankle either! Only had some calf muscle uncomfortableness, but I think its because the muscle in my calf wasn't used to all the major moves I was pulling out yesterday. It had been about a month now.

Forgot to add, I actually did a real back spin one time last night. I saw the traveling circles, 3 of them. First time they were that decent. Couldn't do it again though.

Splat? No flip jump. Mental games were getting to me yesterday. Booo, hisssssss. Crowded session full of kids. And coach didn't show.

Skate@Delaware
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Spinning: I am now able to do the splits!!!! :bow: So excited!!! Did it once over the weekend, and again yesterday. Gaining flexibility over the past couple of years. Bonus! My back flexibility is starting to come along more and more.

Sit spins are now consistently low. Yay. :lol: Consistent on my entry into my camel spin and scratch. Not traveling anywhere near as much as I used to.
~~snipped~~
Splat? No flip jump. Mental games were getting to me yesterday. Booo, hisssssss. Crowded session full of kids. And coach didn't show.
That's awesome about the splits!!! Any word on why your coach didn't show??? Is this the first time? Do you think that maybe he/she was sick?

PinkLaces
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Wow! That's awesome!

PinkLaces
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Spinning I passed my Bronze Moves and Free Skate tests this morning! :D:D:D:D:D Coach was pretty certain I'd pass the Moves, but wasn't sure what the standard would be for the sit spin. Ironically, I did a good sit spin and the backspin which has been good for the last 2 weeks was weak. I had to retry it. But I passed and am sooooooooooooo happy!

dance2sk8
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Spinning I passed my Bronze Moves and Free Skate tests this morning! :D:D:D:D:D Coach was pretty certain I'd pass the Moves, but wasn't sure what the standard would be for the sit spin. Ironically, I did a good sit spin and the backspin which has been good for the last 2 weeks was weak. I had to retry it. But I passed and am sooooooooooooo happy!

Yay on passing Bronze MITF and Freeskate! That's my next test...probably after Adult competition though. Thanks for the congrats on the splits. I've been working my rear off to get them. Its improved my back catch, too.

I am not sure why my coach wasn't there. Its not like her to NOT show up and at least give me a heads up. Kinda worried about her. BUT, I know Midwestern sectionals is underway and I am wondering if she went to Kansas. Also, a family member passed away a couple of weeks ago. So I am wondering if that came into play this week for the memorials service. I'll find out soon enough.

xofivebyfive
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Spinning: I skated last Wednesday woohooo! I was SO happy.. it was the first time in 2 weeks I had skated, and then before that 2 months! and I'm used to skating every day! or I was.. well anyway.. my spirals felt really bad so I asked my mom to play it back and I literally collapsed when I saw it. I was SO sure that it had deteriorated into nothingness from not stretching at ALL for 3 months.. It wasn't the best position and it was far from perfect, but for ME.. I was expecting soo much worse. I was SO thrilled that it still looked decent. SO happy. (how many times do you think i've said "so" in this paragraph? :lol: )

oh here's a video.. you can skip the first minute or so it's just me talking and saying thanks and showing people an autograph I got at SA this weekend. well not me personally, it was very generously given to me.. but.. anyyyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrlFNxvcL2I

everything felt surprising awesome. I was obviously very off and so far from where I was before but, like I said, it was so confusing to me how quickly my body got used to the ice.. I was centered in spins, they were fast, my sit was getting 8 rotations and I remember when that was a HUGE deal, it was my record, 8 rotations.. and I got 8 without even trying to hold it very long so that.. was an accomplishment for me :) my just plain back sits were.. amazing. not amazing to anyone else watching but they felt amazing to me. I was extremely proud of myself and my body for being able to do them as well as I was considering the circumstances.

Splat: okay so, because of my illness.. I'm fatigued all the time, so skating.. is hard.. let's just say that haha. I can only do one move at a time and then I have to rest and drink for about.. 2 minutes. so I literally did this:
scratch spin ->rest, scratch spin->rest messed up sit->rest, sit->rest I mean... even in between spirals.. in between artistic moments like doing ina bauers and footwork. It was insanely difficult for me to pace myself and be patient with my body and not overwork it. Because I want to do SO much more.. so much more than what my body is letting me do.

camel spins.. let's.. not talk about those LOL. they were not.. good. I was too tired for them.. and.. it was just badness.

CoE backspin.. bahhh I want to be able to do these really badly! I just change edges and then fall over to the left.. i try to lean to the right more but.. that doesn't help!

Isk8NYC
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Spinning I passed my Bronze Moves and Free Skate tests this morning! Yay! Congratulations!

Skate@Delaware
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
Spinning: I skated last Wednesday woohooo! I was SO happy.. it was the first time in 2 weeks I had skated, and then before that 2 months! and I'm used to skating every day! or I was.. well anyway.. my spirals felt really bad so I asked my mom to play it back and I literally collapsed when I saw it. I was SO sure that it had deteriorated into nothingness from not stretching at ALL for 3 months.. It wasn't the best position and it was far from perfect, but for ME.. I was expecting soo much worse. I was SO thrilled that it still looked decent. SO happy. (how many times do you think i've said "so" in this paragraph? :lol: )

oh here's a video.. you can skip the first minute or so it's just me talking and saying thanks and showing people an autograph I got at SA this weekend. well not me personally, it was very generously given to me.. but.. anyyyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrlFNxvcL2I

everything felt surprising awesome. I was obviously very off and so far from where I was before but, like I said, it was so confusing to me how quickly my body got used to the ice.. I was centered in spins, they were fast, my sit was getting 8 rotations and I remember when that was a HUGE deal, it was my record, 8 rotations.. and I got 8 without even trying to hold it very long so that.. was an accomplishment for me :) my just plain back sits were.. amazing. not amazing to anyone else watching but they felt amazing to me. I was extremely proud of myself and my body for being able to do them as well as I was considering the circumstances.

Splat: okay so, because of my illness.. I'm fatigued all the time, so skating.. is hard.. let's just say that haha. I can only do one move at a time and then I have to rest and drink for about.. 2 minutes. so I literally did this:
scratch spin ->rest, scratch spin->rest messed up sit->rest, sit->rest I mean... even in between spirals.. in between artistic moments like doing ina bauers and footwork. It was insanely difficult for me to pace myself and be patient with my body and not overwork it. Because I want to do SO much more.. so much more than what my body is letting me do.

camel spins.. let's.. not talk about those LOL. they were not.. good. I was too tired for them.. and.. it was just badness.

CoE backspin.. bahhh I want to be able to do these really badly! I just change edges and then fall over to the left.. i try to lean to the right more but.. that doesn't help!
Beautiful!!!! Don't worry about having to take frequent breaks, eventually the skating will get longer and the breaks will get shorter! Welcome back to the ice!!!! (don't overdo it!)

doubletoe
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Welcome back to the ice, Tazsk8s and xofivebyfive! :D

Spinning: I am now able to do the splits!!!! :bow: So excited!!! Did it once over the weekend, and again yesterday. Gaining flexibility over the past couple of years.

Woo hoo!! Have you taken a picture yet? I made someone take a picture the first or second time I managed to do it, just in case I was never able to repeat it again, LOL! Now for your Y-spiral, right? :) I've just spent the last 6 months working on mine and have finally achieved my goal: held for 6 seconds with heel grab and entire free foot higher than my head. Whee! :D

Congratulations!!!!:bow:

dance2sk8
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll have to have someone take a pic of me over the weekend. I can do it again and again. I have dance, tonight as well, so I will test it one more time to ensure I really have them. But I touched the ground, and I looked down, and mouth just dropped. I couldn't believe it!!!!

I need to get video of me up as well. Slacker I be. :P :: Also scared of what I may look like! LOL! ::

doubletoe
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I'll have to have someone take a pic of me over the weekend. I can do it again and again. I have dance, tonight as well, so I will test it one more time to ensure I really have them. But I touched the ground, and I looked down, and mouth just dropped. I couldn't believe it!!!!

I need to get video of me up as well. Slacker I be. :P :: Also scared of what I may look like! LOL! ::

Cool, be sure to post it! :D What has really helped me to get into a split more easily (which is necessary for any kind of standing split or Y position) is to start holding the split on the floor for 30 seconds each time. I either use a stop watch or count "one-Mississippi, two-Mississipi" to 30. I'm actually holding for about 40 now that it's more comfortable.

Skittl1321
11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Congrats dance2sk8 on the splits! And Pink Laces on the test!!!

Skate@Delaware
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Spinning: had a decent practice tonight, backspins were good; toe-toe-loops (is this how I say it?) were good, altho I forgot and pulled my arms in on a few.

Splat: it was a little crazy at first, little girls everywhere...then there was an "incident" over the music. Seems there was a waiting list and somehow I couldn't get on it (none of these girls are competing, I'm not either but I will take a freestyle test soon). I need to bring this issue up to the skating director and come to a better resolution than everyone pushing to the head of the line to play their music. Also, tried my sit-spin but it wasn't pretty. Oh well.

celticprincess
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
So I visited my home club for the first time since December. It was alright..however WAAY more expensive and crowded. I'm used to going to lunch skate for 3 dollars for two hours...but for the club it's 20 dollars for two hours. But it was nice seeing everyone and a had a pretty good practice:

Spinning:
-All of my single jumps-I really concentrated on making them look nice..you know pointed toes whenever possible, crisp arms, and well checked landing
-Okay so, I have a hard time believing it, but I think I landed my axel...from a standstill. Sure that doesn't REALLY count, but it's a step further.
-Sit spins were nice and low...and for once held for several revolutions
-Broken leg/sit spin....I honestly didn't think it would cooperate, but it went really nice.:)
-My closed hip hair cutter spin....I swear I had some upper level people looking at me like 'how does she do that?'...hehe
-Ran through my artisic twice
-Spirals were pretty good..not fanominal...just good.
-Made up a spin combo involving a broken leg/attitude/closed hip haircutter:D

Splat:
-Haha five minutes into practce and I had a splat. I lost balance on my brackets and down I went.8O
-I kept chickening out on doing back twizzles
-For my layback..I think I don't pick my leg up high enough. Sometimes I tend to fall back onto it and stop myself :frus:

I think that's it! Good practice;)

dbny
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Splat:
Had my ice dance lesson this morning for the first time in two weeks. I had to stop constantly to get my breath and take a sip of water. I lose strength sooo quickly when I'm sick. I guess that's just age, but it really is annoying!

doubletoe
11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
-Okay so, I have a hard time believing it, but I think I landed my axel...from a standstill. Sure that doesn't REALLY count, but it's a step further.
. . .
-My closed hip hair cutter spin....I swear I had some upper level people looking at me like 'how does she do that?'...hehe

Well, did you take off forward and land backward but do more revolution than a waltz jump? If so, then you landed an axel! I remember having to replay it in my mind the first time I landed mine, too, LOL! And a lot of people first land the axel from a standstill, since it helps keep you aligned over your hips and makes it harder to overrotate the takeoff edge. You might want to try doing it from a side toe tap, too. :)

What is a "closed hip" haircutter?

Isk8NYC
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Fooling around with my blades has become a regular routine. My pulling out a screwdriver and moving the blade attracts as much attention as a woman knitting, lol. I had time before I had to coach a freestyle group, so I took the chance.

Today's adjustment was to move the heel stanchion more to the outside while leaving the toe aligned to the inside. This is probably what my intelligent friend Renatele suggested over a month ago...

Not a bad last-minute switch. There's hope for these skates after all.

Spinning:
I landed a toe loop for the first time in weeks and I was able to get almost all the way around on a loop jump without really trying. Doing the loop entrance hop drill was not as terrifying as it usually is on these skates. Backspins felt better, just a little too far forward on the blade.

Splat:
No falls tonight, but didn't feel up to doing crossovers because they've been so uncomfortable, so I'll try that when no one's watching. none of my spins are centered and I'm skidding into waltz jumps.

I think part of my problem might be the sharpening. I've always liked a deep 5/8" ROH, but I know that the recommendation is 1/2" or 5/16", so I keep trying to get used to the more shallow hollow.

When I've had a 1/2" ROH in the past, I found that I slipped off the edge a lot and couldn't center my spins. The same thing is happening with the 5/16" ROH on these new blades.

Just found out about a new sharpener. I think I'll check the blades for straightness and have him sharpen them with a 5/8" ROH. It can't hurt at this point.

Skate@Delaware
11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I think part of my problem might be the sharpening. I've always liked a deep 5/8" ROH, but I know that the recommendation is 1/2" or 5/16", so I keep trying to get used to the more shallow hollow.

When I've had a 1/2" ROH in the past, I found that I slipped off the edge a lot and couldn't center my spins. The same thing is happening with the 5/16" ROH on these new blades.

Just found out about a new sharpener. I think I'll check the blades for straightness and have him sharpen them with a 5/8" ROH. It can't hurt at this point.
When you take your skates to the new sharpener, be sure they check to see that the inside & outside edges are level. My left blade was not level and that was one of the problems with my blade (along with a mis-aligned mount). He popped a tiny square on the bottom blade and wow it was off! Good luck with your new sharpener person!

PinkLaces
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Picked up an extra session tonight as DD wanted to pick up a couple extra sessons before her competition this weekend. We will miss our Friday lessons due to the competition.

Splat We were in one of the back rinks and they are smaller and the ice is not as nice. The session before I got on was completely full and they didn't resurface. Lots of holes and chunks of ice to trip in. I saw several girls go down doing nothing, but skating. Ugh! Ran through all Bronze Moves except back landing. Coach told me I still have to work on making them better so ran through them. Could not even get through half a pattern without an almost collision with some kid. Flips were two footed and the one I did land my foot was on the side and not in front.

Spinning Spent some time working on the RFI 3 (my weakest one) and it was getting more comfortable. Started practicing RFI 3 followed by a LBO 3 and they were getting much better. Worked on loop entry from back cross-overs instead the 3 turn. Was able to land about 1/2 of them.

tazsk8s
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Had another lesson today. We ended up splitting my time some at the beginning of the session, then my coach took a couple of kids for part of the session, then came back to me. Worked out well because it gave me lots of time to warm up jumps.

Spinning:

Sit spin wasn't too terrible today, and I did respectable backspins every time I tried one.

Lutz was better. Remedial back outside edge exercises are helping some. Still tend to bring the back arm through too soon which still caused a number of disasters, but I did land 4 or 5 of them. That's 4 or 5 more than I've landed in one session in a while.

Loop! Don't know where those came from today but both my coach and I were liking them.

Even had a couple of minutes at the end of the lesson to work on waltz-loops for the axel. Those went pretty well. And to the person upthread who asked if landing an axel from a standstill "counts"...heavens yes! I'd be thrilled if that happened.

Splat:

Toe loop. Probably my least favorite jump anyway, and today the best I could do was this tiny, whippy thing, when I wasn't busy falling on the 3 turn entrance. :frus:

Camel spin. This has had major issues since I got back on the ice so I was glad we spent some time on it. I'm rushing the entry badly. Managed one at the end that was okay-ish.

Probably won't get to skate this weekend. Too many other things happening.

londonicechamp
11-21-2009, 05:21 AM
This is for my practice and lesson this week:

Spinning
Forward and backward crossovers were good. Coach said that I needed to have more power on my backward crossovers, and needed to lift my skating leg off the ice, after the crossover, which I managed to do.

Change foot spin: the first two were good, scratch spin okay but travelling a bit.

Backspin: now trying to get the speed before the crossover part.

Toe loop: only got it towards the last few tries of the lesson. Needs to work more on it.

I was actually spinning so much during my own lesson, doing sit spin, scratch spin, change foot spin and variation spin etc, that I started to get a little dizzy. 8O

Splatting
Backspin: still cannot get past the 1 revolution. Aarrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!! :frus:

Change foot spin: the forward scratch spin is travelling, meaning that I need to work on getting it centred. :o

Toe loop: belly button seemed to turn out a bit too much during lesson. :giveup: Solved that problem by starting from one line of the rink, to another.

Sit spin: tried to get down lower, but managed on sitting on the butt, for 2 times. Good thing is that the number of times that I am sitting on the ice, is getting lower and lower.

No lessons for the next 10 days, as I am off to London for my Call to the Bar, at Lincolns Inn, on 26 Nov (Thur). I shall be flying with my hubby on 24 Nov, arriving there same day evening. When I come back, will have Thur and Fri lessons in a row.

londonicechamp

RachelSk8er
11-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Splat:
First time back on the ice in 4 weeks, and it was incredibly frustrating.

4 weeks ago I was working on axels and double toes, and getting my junior moves ready to test and getting my (technically very difficult for silver) program ready for Buckeye.

Thanks to this stupid ankle injury, now I can't even do a 3-turn. Can't get a good push on crossovers. Everything hurts, and my left leg feels so weak. I can't have a skate on for more than about 20 min at a time without taking a break because my boots pushes up against where it's still swollen and either hurts or my foot falls asleep.

I knew all along that it was going to be like this, but until you actually get out there, you don't realize how emotionally hard it is to deal with. Despite all the years I've been skating, I've never had an injury that had me off for more than maybe a week at the most until now, so this totally blows.

dbny
11-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Splat:
I didn't realize it until I got on the ice Friday, but my ice dance lesson the day before totally wore me out and I was like jelly. I really limped through my lesson.

Spinning:
In my ice dance lesson we did hand in hand F and B crossovers for the first time. I loved it, but discovered that my CW BXO's are considerably weaker than I had thought, so I worked on them with regular coach on Friday. They have never been as comfy as my CCW's, but I hadn't been able to figure out exactly why. I could feel my upper body wasn't quite right but couldn't get past that. My coach got it right away! I was too far back on the L blade. When she made me get farther forward everything else fell into place. Now I have to practice it!

dance2sk8
11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Splat:
First time back on the ice in 4 weeks, and it was incredibly frustrating.

4 weeks ago I was working on axels and double toes, and getting my junior moves ready to test and getting my (technically very difficult for silver) program ready for Buckeye.

Thanks to this stupid ankle injury, now I can't even do a 3-turn. Can't get a good push on crossovers. Everything hurts, and my left leg feels so weak. I can't have a skate on for more than about 20 min at a time without taking a break because my boots pushes up against where it's still swollen and either hurts or my foot falls asleep.

I knew all along that it was going to be like this, but until you actually get out there, you don't realize how emotionally hard it is to deal with. Despite all the years I've been skating, I've never had an injury that had me off for more than maybe a week at the most until now, so this totally blows.

I haven't skated as long as you have, but I do understand the emotionally distressing part. Just going from being physically active, 6 days a week, two activities (dance/skating), to NOTHING. Very depressing. I still have some pain, but managed to do everything today. Its taken 4 weeks to get to this point. I still can't flex 100% with full weight yet. I also am not taking ice dancing because that hurts the worst.

Take it one day at a time and continue to do everything PT wise off ice. You'll feel better soon. And yeah, the boot thing is a pain in the butt, literally. The boot hurt my foot/ankle for over a week to two weeks before I was finally not cringing and favoring my foot. Cross overs (going backwards), still kinda hurt, too. :: hugs ::

dance2sk8
11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Spinning:
I GOT BACKSPINS TODAY!!!, Real ones! With circles, no twizzle marks!!!! LOL! :lol: I did it 5 times in a row. My coach told me what I was supposed to with my upper body, and it all clicked. I had to do it several times to really know I was doing it! I was ready to scream and jump all over the place! Still am...kinda. ;) Did it a few times bring my free leg and cross it over. Did them each 5+ revs. I can't believe I can do it now.

Sit spins were awesome today.

Splat: Literally, splat, caught the back of my blade during a layback spin I was working on and landed on my rear. It was funny at the time, but not so much tonight. :P My left part of the rear is sore tonight.

Again, backspin, baby!!!! Axles here I come!

Skate@Delaware
11-21-2009, 07:37 PM
After all the skating I did today, I feel TOTALLY SPLAT! I hit the freestyle session, then taught LTS and our Academy which is advanced LTS.

Spinning: Because everyone seems to be at sectionals, the rink was fairly empty! I was able to go through my complete moves routine twice as well as run through an old competition routine (even though I forgot some of it it still went well and I ended on time).

Splat: Caught the heel of my blade on one of the 3-turns and almost went down. It torqued me and I could feel my back spasming up.....I had to really stretch it out before I felt "even" again. My muscles are really giving me fits lately!

Worked on some toe-loop combinations and tried really hard keeping my arms out...man that is going to take some doing!

sk8pics
11-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Splat:
In my ice dance lesson we did hand in hand F and B crossovers for the first time. I loved it, but discovered that my CW BXO's are considerably weaker than I had thought, so I worked on them with regular coach on Friday.

My coach does these with me sometimes, backward, and it is lots of fun. He will use them as a treat sometimes. For me, CCW backward is scary because I don't twist my upper body as much that direction.

dance2sk8 and RachelSk8ter-- When I first got on the ice after recovering from my ankle break it was painful for me, too. Especially backward crossovers, because of the flex in the ankle that's needed. But it was good therapy and improved my range of motion. Hang in there, it will get better, frustrating though it is in the moment. I can't remember your specific injuries, but it can take a long time to get back to 100%. My ankle is about 98% back, but it's been 3 years. Still it continues to improve, so that's encouraging.

londonicechamp
11-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi dance2sk8

How long does it take you to get the 5+ revolution in your backspin? I just learnt it about 3 months ago, and still am getting through the frustration that cannot do more than 1 revolution at the moment. :roll:

londonicechamp

dance2sk8
11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi dance2sk8

How long does it take you to get the 5+ revolution in your backspin? I just learnt it about 3 months ago, and still am getting through the frustration that cannot do more than 1 revolution at the moment. :roll:

londonicechamp

I just got it yesterday, the back spin (i've never done it before, other than on accident in the past, maybe twice?), and I just focus I continuing to keep my shoulders turned towards the circle I am making, leaning my weight on my foot (for me thinking baby toe helped), and finding that sweet spot on the blade. Its taken several months to figure a backspin out for me. But yesterday, it just happened! I just kept focused. I kept doing it over and over (5 times total, I think) and then I started bringing my hips more forward, that would speed up the spin a little, and then bring my free leg in. Keeping my back straighter also seemed to change things.

I am probably not explaining this very well. I know I have to get video. 8O Its been on my mind more to get some videos up of me skating.

RachelSk8er
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Take it one day at a time and continue to do everything PT wise off ice. You'll feel better soon. And yeah, the boot thing is a pain in the butt, literally. The boot hurt my foot/ankle for over a week to two weeks before I was finally not cringing and favoring my foot. Cross overs (going backwards), still kinda hurt, too. :: hugs ::

Thanks :) This just blows. I'm going to try roller skating tonight at roller derby practice. I initially thought that getting back on ice skates would be easiest since the boots have ankles support, but I almost wonder if rollers will be better since they don't come up around my ankle bone. I have a brace to wear under my skate on the bad ankle. I went and got new wheels yesterday that are narrower and will be better for my agility, since I've wanted them for a while and I figured it would be a good time to get used to them.

Kim to the Max
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Spinning:

I GOT MY NEW SKATES!! I've needed them for a long time, and they have been ready to go since July, but waited to switch the blades over until I tested, so I skated in them for the first time tonight...

Splat:

I GOT MY NEW SKATES!! I spent tonight stroking, doing moves (lots of cross strokes and the 8-step mohawk), and was able to jump up to and including the lutz and did all my junior moves except the choctaws. Did lots and lots of waltz jumps. Tried at the end of the session to do a waltz back spin but because I don't take off right (I tend to skid), I was afraid I would break something, so I held off on those.

My plan was to have my lesson with coach on Thursday (nope, she got stuck at work), switch my skates this weekend (obvious) and then skate a lot and have my lesson with coach the week after Thanksgiving and be all good to go. The problem now is that coach had mentioned trying to get a lesson in this week sometime.

By the end of the night, they were starting to feel more comfortable and like "my" skates. Now I just need them to soften up that little bit...

I will say that I was getting some wonderful edges in my new skates though :)

londonicechamp
11-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi dance2sk8

Wow, that is so cool. You get your backspin straight away!!!!!!!! :lol:

I am still working on the speed part now. My coach said that I need to work on my speed part, before even thinking about getting past the 1 revolution. My problem is that my body tends to lean too far backwards. 8O

And yes, you should put your video up sometime. :D

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
This is for last night, I was very tired and drained when I got home so I didn't feel like posting. There was some drama at the rink and the rink moms were out for blood.

Spinning: That pretty much sums it up! Most of the lesson was spent on spins....Scratch went from blah to zing with some repetitive pointers from coach. "Go back into your circle" which works like a charm when I actually do it. Sit spin-managed to actually hit a 3-revolution sit (coach said not to worry about the "sit" part yet...it will come. Backspins were great, added the 2nd push and really put that one out!

Splat: me and the loop! It's an security issue for me and my non-pointing toes! Although I can get all the way around, I could get more airtime if I actually launched off my toes and landed back onto them. I know this, she knows this, you all know this. My brain knows this but refuses! Oh well, one day it will happen!

All in all, a great session, drama not-withstanding.

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi dance2sk8

Wow, that is so cool. You get your backspin straight away!!!!!!!! :lol:

I am still working on the speed part now. My coach said that I need to work on my speed part, before even thinking about getting past the 1 revolution. My problem is that my body tends to lean too far backwards. 8O

And yes, you should put your video up sometime. :D

londonicechamp
Have you tried really bending down in the knee on your backspin until it centers? It's hard to lean backwards when you are in that position. See if that helps.

doubletoe
11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Have you tried really bending down in the knee on your backspin until it centers? It's hard to lean backwards when you are in that position. See if that helps.

Yes, that is great advice. Press the ball of your blade into the ice, stay completely level and pretend you are going into a reverse sitspin, drawing a half circle on the ice with your blade.
Once you have completed that half circle, turn your skating hip in to face your free leg, keeping your free leg really tight and the free side hip completely closed so that the leg is right in front of you. This is something I wish my coach had harped on a lot earlier because I have open hips and did not realize my free leg was opening out as I turned into the spin. That made me lean back and away from the free leg.

dance2sk8
11-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Spinning: Got a few more back spins in today. I even did a back sit spin! (couldn't sit all the way down due to my ankle, but still, I felt how its supposed to be).

Had a few good camels, both open (arrow?) position and standard, with a back catch.

My jumps were back to their NORMAL height again! I felt so much joy. I jump nice and high. Hopefully this will help me once I start working on doubles or my axle.

Sit spins keep getting lower. I am also focusing on keeping my free leg up and straight.

Coach was really happy with how I did my program today. Lots of speed and being consistent. Woohoo!!! I didn't think I did that great because I kept having to dodge little kids. But she was happy with what I was doing.

Splat: Not much of a splat other than rushing my camel spin entry every once in a while and twizzling a few times on my back spin.

Skate@Delaware
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes, that is great advice. Press the ball of your blade into the ice, stay completely level and pretend you are going into a reverse sitspin, drawing a half circle on the ice with your blade.
Once you have completed that half circle, turn your skating hip in to face your free leg, keeping your free leg really tight and the free side hip completely closed so that the leg is right in front of you. This is something I wish my coach had harped on a lot earlier because I have open hips and did not realize my free leg was opening out as I turned into the spin. That made me lean back and away from the free leg.
I think this is why it's important to work on pivots...altho I did not realize it until later and had that "aha" moment!

I'm still thinking about the drama that happened on Sunday. I might as well vent because it still bothers me-I had asked some of the younger girls to scootch off to the side for a minute so I could do my pattern without interruption (they were standing around giggling where I needed to do a transition). They did and never said anything to me. End of things-so I thought. When I got off the ice, mom #1 & #2 lit into me like you would not believe and accused me of all sorts of things! One accused me of swearing at her daughter and threatening her in addition to swearing at her a few days ago at my home rink!!!!8O I didn't even have a chance to respond other than to say, "What????" totally dumbfounded as they stomped off. (later I thought-if someone had been swearing at MY kids, I sure would not wait days later to confront that person, KWIM?)

I was really frosted about this and I know I should not let this bother me but it does. As one of the few (and sometimes ONLY) adults on the ice, I do feel responsible for looking out for the kids. When they fall, I'm usually the only one that makes sure they are ok (especially at my home rink). The moms sit in the lobby, not rinkside (although they are allowed).

I don't know if they will make trouble or let it end there. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me. I know they were being protective but I feel they went way overboard and I feel assaulted. Ugh! My instinct is to give them wide berth, not say anymore to them or their girls and keep to my own skating.

I'd appreciate any advice.

dance2sk8
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the tips on this. It did seem to make a difference when I would bend my knee, a lot easier to find where I needed to be, even though I was still having some slight difficulties compared to Saturday. But I kept working on them.

dance2sk8
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I think this is why it's important to work on pivots...altho I did not realize it until later and had that "aha" moment!

I'm still thinking about the drama that happened on Sunday. I might as well vent because it still bothers me-I had asked some of the younger girls to scootch off to the side for a minute so I could do my pattern without interruption (they were standing around giggling where I needed to do a transition). They did and never said anything to me. End of things-so I thought. When I got off the ice, mom #1 & #2 lit into me like you would not believe and accused me of all sorts of things! One accused me of swearing at her daughter and threatening her in addition to swearing at her a few days ago at my home rink!!!!8O I didn't even have a chance to respond other than to say, "What????" totally dumbfounded as they stomped off. (later I thought-if someone had been swearing at MY kids, I sure would not wait days later to confront that person, KWIM?)

I was really frosted about this and I know I should not let this bother me but it does. As one of the few (and sometimes ONLY) adults on the ice, I do feel responsible for looking out for the kids. When they fall, I'm usually the only one that makes sure they are ok (especially at my home rink). The moms sit in the lobby, not rinkside (although they are allowed).

I don't know if they will make trouble or let it end there. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me. I know they were being protective but I feel they went way overboard and I feel assaulted. Ugh! My instinct is to give them wide berth, not say anymore to them or their girls and keep to my own skating.

I'd appreciate any advice.

No offense to skating moms, and I know a lot of them that are super nice, but then you have your select few that are just complete poodles with their noses way up in the air and think they are better than everyone else. Also, they are the ones I want to beat down because they yell and scream at their kids for not completing a double axle during practice and shame them when you can tell they are working really hard. Basically, living their lives through their kids. NOT the way to do things and a great way for your kids to resent you in life down the road.

However, getting back to the situation you speak of, keep your distance for now, or possible approach the director and discuss the situation with them and let them know what happened in case those women approach them or provide a written complaint. Not sure if you belong to the club you were at.

Skate@Delaware
11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
No offense to skating moms, and I know a lot of them that are super nice, but then you have your select few that are just complete poodles with their noses way up in the air and think they are better than everyone else. Also, they are the ones I want to beat down because they yell and scream at their kids for not completing a double axle during practice and shame them when you can tell they are working really hard. Basically, living their lives through their kids. NOT the way to do things and a great way for your kids to resent you in life down the road.

However, getting back to the situation you speak of, keep your distance for now, or possible approach the director and discuss the situation with them and let them know what happened in case those women approach them or provide a written complaint. Not sure if you belong to the club you were at.
Those are good suggestions, this is at a county run community center rink-not a club just open freestyle sessions so there are only money-takers and cleaning staff when we are there-no management or director. I get along with all of the other mom's not sure about these women....:giveup:. Their girls are on this rink's synchro team but don't do anything beyond that (other than chase each other on the ice and giggle during freestyle session).

I will just keep about my own business for a while and see how things go. I will be skating there next Sunday then not for two weeks (coach is away and so I will have no reason to go there). This is just bugging...and I have finals coming up (and my mom has been sick again, grrrrr! why do things happen all at once?)

doubletoe
11-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I had asked some of the younger girls to scootch off to the side for a minute so I could do my pattern without interruption (they were standing around giggling where I needed to do a transition). They did and never said anything to me. End of things-so I thought. When I got off the ice, mom #1 & #2 lit into me like you would not believe and accused me of all sorts of things! One accused me of swearing at her daughter and threatening her in addition to swearing at her a few days ago at my home rink!!!!8O I didn't even have a chance to respond other than to say, "What????" totally dumbfounded as they stomped off. (later I thought-if someone had been swearing at MY kids, I sure would not wait days later to confront that person, KWIM?)

Could the mothers actually hear you from where they were sitting at the time? I wonder if the girls might have exaggerated to their mothers and told them you had sworn at them, knowing it would get a rise out of them?

Skate@Delaware
11-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Could the mothers actually hear you from where they were sitting at the time? I wonder if the girls might have exaggerated to their mothers and told them you had sworn at them, knowing it would get a rise out of them?
There was no way the mother's could have heard me, they were sitting in the lobby of the rink which is separated by a temporary wall (there isn't even a window overlooking the rink at this point). I'm sure the girls might have said "that skater lady told us to get out of the way" or something like that, neglecting to mention that it was only for a minute while I did my pattern. I don't personally know these girls, as I only see them on Sunday so I cannot vouch for their behavior or honesty.

Not 30 minutes after I had asked them to scootch, another skater asked me to yield a section so she could do her pattern. I didn't have to-I was in a lesson-but I did. No big deal for me, I yielded and when she passed, that section was free again. No interference, no frustration, all handled between two skaters sharing the ice.

it's all give and take and you GET what you GIVE.

PinkLaces
11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I wonder if the girls might have exaggerated to their mothers and told them you had sworn at them, knowing it would get a rise out of them?

I think mostly likely this was the case and that why they went all mama bear. Sorry you had to deal with that. I'd just advoid them if possible.

We have lots of rink drama here lately. It sucks. Apparently, one of the coaches went off about me last night. I am normally there on Monday nights, but my DD hurt her knee in her competition this past weekend so is off ice this week. This coach read the test schedule for today's test on her blackberry wrong. We have multiple rinks. I put all the home club skaters on their normal practice rink and all the guests on another. She thought it was the other way around and went off on a tirade about what a terrible test chair I was. This was in front of other parents (who told me about it today) and skaters. Totally unprofessional. Then this morning she sent me a very nice note about what a good job I'm doing. Very weird and too much drama.

phoenix
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Splat: First lesson in 3 weeks, & it ended up being on a public with all the kids out of school. So, yeah, no fast skating today and certainly no Paso patterns!

Spinning: HOWEVER, since we couldn't really work on anything else I talked my coach into working with me on the partnering for the Tango Romantica!! Such fun--and I did much better than the last time I managed to talk him into it, which was probably a good 4 months ago. We never did get through a whole pattern, but did get through pretty big chunks & did all the pieces. Of course, we're just slowly 'walking' through it, but it makes me feel like such a real skater!! :)

Also--despite not having seen my Paso for like a month, coach gave me permission to send in my test form, so Jan. 11, do or die, I *will* be skating that dance to music! It's good--I need a deadline to motivate me.

Kat12
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I've skipped the public session for the last two Sundays. I know, bad! Just had other stuff I wanted to do. I'll go back next week.

Last class went okay.

Splat:
I felt sort "inept" to start out. Maybe because I hadn't skated in a week! But got better later. Still can't spin. Coach tried to show me and even took my arm and gave me a spin but I still ground to a stop on my toe picks. GRR!!

Oh, and splat *literally*--fell backwards (but luckily didn't hit my head). Didn't give myself a headache either, though every time I fall backwards my bun loosens up and later my hair is falling down!

Some edges still skidding, which is unnerving on jump landings! Didn't get a chance to ask coach at class, but emailed her later to ask what I might be doing wrong. First thing she wants to do is look at my skates.

Spinning:
Fell/landed not-prettily on a few waltz jumps, BUT I know it's because I'm getting more gutsy and trying to jump higher/further, so I'm okay with that. Plus it didn't hurt And I think sometimes I can feel the "quick and light" thing that coach is trying to impress on us. Need to have her look at my waltzes and give me pointers.

CW salchow is still okay. not great, but I haven't regressed. Also started work on toe loop.

Rink buddy (RB) D. says she is impressed that I picked up jumping so quickly for someone who hasn't skated before. I still think I'm pretty dismal, but I'll go with it! I told her it makes up for me not being able to spin, lol. RB S. says that as she cant stop spinning once she starts, some day we'll do an ice show routine and she can spin in the center and I'll do jumps in a circle around her, lol.

After not finding a chance to get to the "school" rink for like a month, I think I may give up on going there. For one, the time this year is more inconvenient--instead of 3:00-4:00 like last year, it's now 3:30-4:30, which means I get back to work just in time to pack up and leave. I don't want to get in trouble for something like that. I doubt I would since my boss is cool, but still. For two, this year it seems to be more crowded, which sort of negates my reasons for liking it, though last year I only started skating there in the spring--maybe it starts out busy in the fall and thins out. And for three, there is a part of me that is afraid that I'll be skating there one day and get hurt (you know, the famous three-turn broken ankle or whatever) and then what? I mean, I work 30 miles from home. Granted, my partner works in that town too so it'd actually be easier than if I got hurt at my home rink while he's at work, but still. I dunno. Still thinking about it, but...

PinkLaces
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Spinning Appropriate as most of my lesson and practice focused on spinning. Worked on sit spin...especially closing the gap between the legs. Was able to do that but spin is not low. Coach didn't care. Coach showed me a good arm position on the back spin. OMGosh. That worked so great. We even moved on to the camel spin. Working on the snap and getting it to all come together. Got only 1 rev for the coach, but she was happy that. She wanted me to work on camel-backspin after my lesson. I could get up to 2 revs on the camel and very nice centered backspin for about 3-4 revs. It is soooo much easier to do the backspin part when you are already spinning. Did one toe loop before the end of my lesson. Coach was happy with the position and I'm getting less waltz toes and more toe loops.

Splat My blades totally suck and are shot. I'm going to drive an hour away to a shop that is very well known here as being "the" place to get figure skates. They stock lots of brands of boots, blades, and sizes. Hopefully, I will come home with some new skates.

dance2sk8
11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I've skipped the public session for the last two Sundays. I know, bad! Just had other stuff I wanted to do. I'll go back next week.

Last class went okay.

Splat:
I felt sort "inept" to start out. Maybe because I hadn't skated in a week! But got better later. Still can't spin. Coach tried to show me and even took my arm and gave me a spin but I still ground to a stop on my toe picks. GRR!!

Oh, and splat *literally*--fell backwards (but luckily didn't hit my head). Didn't give myself a headache either, though every time I fall backwards my bun loosens up and later my hair is falling down!

Some edges still skidding, which is unnerving on jump landings! Didn't get a chance to ask coach at class, but emailed her later to ask what I might be doing wrong. First thing she wants to do is look at my skates.

Spinning:
Fell/landed not-prettily on a few waltz jumps, BUT I know it's because I'm getting more gutsy and trying to jump higher/further, so I'm okay with that. Plus it didn't hurt And I think sometimes I can feel the "quick and light" thing that coach is trying to impress on us. Need to have her look at my waltzes and give me pointers.

CW salchow is still okay. not great, but I haven't regressed. Also started work on toe loop.

Rink buddy (RB) D. says she is impressed that I picked up jumping so quickly for someone who hasn't skated before. I still think I'm pretty dismal, but I'll go with it! I told her it makes up for me not being able to spin, lol. RB S. says that as she cant stop spinning once she starts, some day we'll do an ice show routine and she can spin in the center and I'll do jumps in a circle around her, lol.

After not finding a chance to get to the "school" rink for like a month, I think I may give up on going there. For one, the time this year is more inconvenient--instead of 3:00-4:00 like last year, it's now 3:30-4:30, which means I get back to work just in time to pack up and leave. I don't want to get in trouble for something like that. I doubt I would since my boss is cool, but still. For two, this year it seems to be more crowded, which sort of negates my reasons for liking it, though last year I only started skating there in the spring--maybe it starts out busy in the fall and thins out. And for three, there is a part of me that is afraid that I'll be skating there one day and get hurt (you know, the famous three-turn broken ankle or whatever) and then what? I mean, I work 30 miles from home. Granted, my partner works in that town too so it'd actually be easier than if I got hurt at my home rink while he's at work, but still. I dunno. Still thinking about it, but...

Are you no longer attending DSC LTS class on Saturdays? I haven't seen you there in several weeks.

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2009, 04:39 PM
This is for last night:
Spinning: worked a little bit on sit-spins, they weren't as good as on Sunday but I'll take them. Also worked on backspins and scratch which were good.

Splat: did some run-throughs of an old program, and it was nice (just skipped a ballet jump in it). Fairly empty session meant no fighting over the music box, although when I did put my music on the skating director (who was coaching my friend, another adult) did look up to notice. He never said anything to me (as he should not)...repetitive playing of show music is ok, but I needed to work on my routine.

Double-splat: Can you BELIEVE IT??? We are once again without a RINK manager! Word is neither he nor the fair board saw eye-to-eye....which has been happening to ALL the recent hires. Not sure if it's because of the "good ole' boy" mentality of the farmer-boys on the fair board or because they just need to hire business people instead of skating people.....sheesh!

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Splat: I was tired today-hot flashes kept me up and down most of the night. Meant to get to the rink earlier for extra skating time, BUT my son had a friend over and since my husband was working.....I couldn't leave right away. I had a discussion with my boy about making sure I was the one he cleared these things with from now on!!! My 5pm freestyle is taken up with a show number practice, so I don't get much extra practice time; I also had a bad headache from the weather....and was cold :cry:...this weather is icky.

Spinning: we worked on our show number (there are 4 of us ladies and one man plus a girl who plays scrooge). We ROCKED this number! It has some awesome parts: a line where the ladies on the end hit a spiral and let go while still spiraling; and a 4-person pinwheel in which we all peel away into a 2-foot spin. There's more but it's so much better because we are essentially the only ones out on the ice during this number!

During the lesson portion of tonight, we worked on "stuff" and the coach gave me a different thing to try on the salchow-after I jump, hit more of a backspin position before checking out into my landing position....I did a few and found myself over-rotated and had to really check hard. He thinks I could have a double if I work hard at it and asked if I have been doing any off-ice jumps. I said I have been hitting the off-ice axel. He wants me to keep doing them and backspins off-ice and go for height and quickness. Yeah!!! It was a good lesson.

My rink is holding a Winter Break Skating Camp, December 27-31. 8am-4pm with skating, off-ice jumping, lunch etc for all ages. I am not sure if I can do it, the ladies and I are waiting to see if we can do one day on a "drop-in" basis. I don't think I can do 4 days-I don't want to die!

Now it's off to study microbiology...I have a quiz on Monday, a lab test next Wednesday then an exam followed by the final.....8O

aussieskater
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM
/snip/

He thinks I could have a double if I work hard at it

/snip/

Wow! Way to go! :D