View Full Version : Who is a Pairs,and who is an Ice-Dancer here?

FSWer
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
CALLING ALL PARTNERSHIPS HERE!!! I was just wondering, as of today what majority of us a Pairs Skaters,and what majority are Ice-Dancers. As well as who here does both.

flo
11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Pairs skater here. I've taken some of the general dance lessons offered at club. I enjoy learning the skills, but not the dances.

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Ice-dancer here, although we have done some pairs skills and the occasional "interpretive pairs" programme. We did seriously look at doing a pairs programme last year, but our coach, who had seemed all for it, bottled out when it came to actually putting something together. Don't blame him - the thought of trying to do side-by-side jumps with my beloved husband, who doesn't know the meaning of "restraint", made my mind boggle a bit, too!

herniated
11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Ice dancer!! No partner other than my coach though but that's fine with me!!:lol:

Clarice
11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Ice dancer! My partner and I are hoping to pass our last Pre-Bronze dance this month, and so qualify for Adult Nationals.

dbny
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Ice dancer!! No partner other than my coach though but that's fine with me!!:lol:

Same here. I put DH on the ice to become my partner, but he no longer has the time to take lessons and practice.

herniated
11-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Same here. I put DH on the ice to become my partner, but he no longer has the time to take lessons and practice.

Mine doesn't skate but I think that would ruin it for me, lol.

iSk8Dance
11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
The username says it all…

My wife is my skating partner.

Beats ballroom. Just the most fun you can have with the opposite sex with your clothes on.:):):)

icedancer2
11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
:):):)

I was going to say the same thing!!

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

My wife is my skating partner.

Beats ballroom. Just the most fun you can have with the opposite sex with your clothes on.:):):)

I couldn't agree more! I dance with my husband.

rlichtefeld
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Pairs skaters rule!

Rob

BatikatII
11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Ice dancer - but had to borrow someone else's husband to do it. :lol: (Thanks bunny-hop!)

Would love to try pairs someday as am not a fan of compulsory dances and only really enjoy the free dance side of it.

FSWer
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Ice dancer - but had to borrow someone else's husband to do it. :lol: (Thanks bunny-hop!)

Would love to try pairs someday as am not a fan of compulsory dances and only really enjoy the free dance side of it.

Oh,oh. I hope the Wife agreed to that. LOL.

BatikatII
11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh,oh. I hope the Wife agreed to that. LOL.

It saves her from having to skate with him in competitions etc. so I think she's happy!:lol:

Bunny Hop
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
It saves her from having to skate with him in competitions etc. so I think she's happy!:lol:Oh yes, not only was I happy (and still am) and relieved, it was actually my suggestion!

As I can only skate once a week due to work/rink timetable conflicts, if he'd had to wait for me to be ready to compete we'd have been doing the Dutch Waltz for the next five years - and I still wouldn't have been ready!

Skittl1321
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd like to be an ice dancer (or a pairs skater really- that would be my dream) but alas, neither is meant to be. There are no men to skate with, and no bribe will get my husband on skates ("it's boring". I tell him it's because he doesn't know how to do it well)

I'm learning ice dances, but am dreadfully slow at it. I think my first 2 are test ready, but the next one will be a long time coming. And I can't test until I find some sort of partner, because my coach isn't a registered coach, so she can't do it.

Clarice
11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
And I can't test until I find some sort of partner, because my coach isn't a registered coach, so she can't do it.

I'm testing on Sunday. A female coach is taking me through, but she's not my actual coach. This is apparently not a problem. She is considered my coach for the purposes of this test. We've only practiced together twice, which is also not a problem if you know the dance. I'm having to travel a bit to do this, though. If you want to test at our club in June and need a partner, let me know and I'll try to hook you up with somebody.

Skittl1321
11-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Clarice- I think that's what I'm going to have to end up doing, but it's an issue of finding WHICH coach can do it. (Since my rink doesn't really have any coaches, and I'm not sure what club I'll actually end up joining...) But I think the woman who sharpens my skates may be able to do it. She's a registered coach, and has danced.

I HOPE I can test before June.. (Especially since that would mean I would be joining USFS for just 1 month!)

Clarice
11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm a registered coach, too, although I'm not sure whether I'd be strong enough to take you through. If you're willing to go as far as Rockford or Peoria, I can find other people to test with you. Actually, in June the coach that's taking me through will probably be there, but it would be an issue of being able to practice together beforehand.

FSWer
11-27-2009, 05:50 PM
It saves her from having to skate with him in competitions etc. so I think she's happy!:lol:

LOL,don't tell me she didn't want him for a Partner. Or she was dumpping him. LOL.

BatikatII
11-28-2009, 03:01 PM
LOL,don't tell me she didn't want him for a Partner. Or she was dumpping him. LOL.

Not at all - if you read Bunny-hops response you'll see the problem for her was not having the time to practice. They do skate together, just not for competitions - yet!

Bunny Hop
11-28-2009, 03:06 PM
LOL,don't tell me she didn't want him for a Partner. Or she was dumpping him. LOL.:lol:As this is me we're talking about, I'll take the answer.

Basically I work office hours and that doesn't really work with the rink timetable in terms of practice. So I skate once a week. His work is a bit more flexible and he skates 3-4 times a week. Which means that even though I was originally the skater, he has overtaken me in skills long ago, and it's now impossible for me to catch up. You can't be in any shape to compete with once a week training/practice - or you can, but I have standards. So it was never going to work. The once a week schedule also means I never build up any reserves of confidence in my skating, which is becoming more and more of an issue. And that's a very bad thing if you're trying to skate with a partner.

If that wasn't enough, I'm also really, really NOT competitive in terms of personality, so the idea of competition was very stressful.

CoachPA
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM
100% ice dancer here for the past 9 years!

I'm currently working on my International dances (starting the Rhumba and Silver Samba).

SkaterBird
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Ice dance - just passed my Preliminary dances. My husband promises to take ice dance lessons with my from my coach once our daughter's hockey season ends!