View Full Version : Downtown Raleigh 2010 Meetup

Isk8NYC
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
*** REVISED MEETUP LOCATION AND DATES - PLEASE SEE THIS POST ***

Raleigh, NC Outdoor Skating with REAL ICE!!!! (Thanks skatingatty!)

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/raleighwinterfest/general_info.htm (http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/raleighwinterfest/general_info.htm)

AT&T RALEIGH WINTERFEST!

Grab your mittens and scarves and make your way to the heart of the center city for Raleigh's premier holiday event—the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest. Winterfest is a two-month long extravaganza featuring an outdoor skating rink with natural ice. This family-friendly celebration of fun-filled activities at the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink kicks off with a memorable event on Friday, December 4.

The opening celebration on Friday, December 4 will run from 5 pm until 11 pm and will feature performances by local choirs and bands, talented figure skaters and a multitude of other entertainers, a visit by Santa Claus, a reading by Ira David Wood III (star of Theatre in the Park’s A Christmas Carol), delicious food and drink, a dazzling holiday tree lighting and Grammy-winning, country music headliner Michelle Branch. This FREE, community-wide kickoff event will be followed by two months of additional programming at the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink.

The AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink will be located in City Plaza situated on the southern end of the 400 block of Fayetteville Street next to the Bank of America building and on top of the Charter Square parking deck.

Season Dates: 12/4/2009 - 1/31/2010

Hours vary - see schedule here: http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_files/docs/hours-of-operation.pdf

The skatingforums.com meetup is scheduled for 1/10/2010.

10am - Brunch

IHOP #408..1313 Hillsborough Street...RALEIGH, NC 27605-1826...919-821 2242 Restaurant Website (http://www.ihoplocator.com/Link.aspx?link=http%3a%2f%2fdata.gointranet.com%2f cgi-bin%2funitloc%2fihop%2flocator.cgi%3fcpage%3dmain. html%26amp%3bcu%3dwenderlein%26amp%3bcl%3d408&SrchId=2674976&LocId=2862)

12am - Skating at the rink (<10 minutes from IHOP)

Attending as of 12/28 are: Isk8NYC, jwrnsktr, skatingatty, skaternum, mskater

...anyone else?

Isk8NYC
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
*** OUT OF DATE INFO -- Please Ignore ***

I just read a news release that says a temporary outdoor ice rink is going to be installed at the Briar Creek shopping area in Raleigh, NC.

The proceeds benefit the Raleigh Rescue Mission and the organizers are holding a food, coat, and blanket drive.

The website is http://www.raleighonice.com/ (http://www.raleighonice.com/)

The installation dates are Saturday November 14 through Saturday November 28, 2009.
(Thanksgiving is on 11/26/2009)

Sunday: 1:00pm - 6:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 10:00am - 9:00pm

Admission $7 adults, $5 children. (Cash only) Includes rental skates.
If we have a group of 20 or more, we can call for group information.
On Wednesday 11/18 and 11/25, admission is free if you bring three non-perishable food items.

There are plenty of places to nosh there, so we could skate and have a bite to eat afterwards.

*** OUT OF DATE INFO -- Please Ignore ***

skaternum
11-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd be interested in a meet-up, but I've had to give up skating. I'd love to join you guys after skating for a bit to eat.

NCSkater02
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
If I wasn't finishing out a semester while working full time with weekend call, I'd be interested. Let me know when, and I'll see if I can go. However, I work 7a-7p three days, plus 6:30-9p class the other two weekdays. It would have to be a weekend for me.

mskater
11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd be game, and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I had heard about an additional outdoor rink but didn't know it was coming so soon! Bet it will be jam packed but still fun.

So what day are we thinking? Sorry you are off the ice Skaternum - I hope it isn't forever? :( :( :(

Isk8NYC
11-13-2009, 01:03 PM
How about Sunday 11/22 at 1pm? It shouldn't be too crowded when it first opens and the ice won't be torn up.

Having skated at the Koka Booth Tinsel Town rink, I know the ice gets worn down quickly because it doesn't refreeze right away.

looplover
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm in! I haven't skated in...forever!

Skaternum, I'm so sorry to hear that you're off ice. :(

Isk8NYC
11-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Arrrgghhh...I just realized that this rink is artificial, not real ice.

I don't mind trying it out for a little while, but I just wanted to point it out for others.

Looplover - glad you're on board!

looplover
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh funny - I wondered if it was - I've always wanted to try artificial ice, it should be interesting to be on it having not skated at all since the spring 8O

looplover
11-14-2009, 07:04 AM
OK don't kill me but I think I'm going to bail on this one - working from home has me absolutely stir crazy (though I'm still glad I do it) - I need to hit the road and get out of here for the w/e! I'm not sure where yet!

Hope to make a meetup soon!

NCSkater02
11-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I might be able to make that. Since I've not met any of you guys IRL, I have long red hair.

Where in Brier Creek will the rink be? It's kind of a spread out place.

mskater
11-14-2009, 01:53 PM
oooh, yikes, I don't really want to skate on the artificial ice. I've seen it at shopping malls and it looks like people basically walking around on ice skates with maybe a wee bit of 'slide' going on occasionally. plus my blades are dull and I heard it will only make them more dull.

Isn't there a real-ice rink that opens sometime in December in Cary? I'd be up for that? Also, I think it would be fun to meet up at the late night public session in Cary on Friday nights. It starts at 10pm on Friday and is 18 y/o and up so no annoying little ones trying to trip you up. We could meet for coffee since it's so late, then go skate?

(((back to ice dancing live from Sk8 America on Universal Sports)))

skatingatty
11-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, this sounds like fun, but I'm hugely pregnant and might give birth any day now, so I can't join you all. I haven't skated since February. I agree w/mskater about the artificial ice. From what I've seen and heard, it's a lot harder to skate on it and it really wears out your blades. The other outdoor rink, with real ice, is going to be the Progress Energy rink in downtown Raleigh on Fayetteville St. I don't know when it opens, but that sounds like a fun place to skate if you can avoid the crowds on weekends. Have a good time! Hope to see you all at the rinks again sometime next year. :)

skaternum
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
There's supposed to be a seasonal rink in downtown Raleigh. I'll see if I can find out if it's real or artificial.

Isk8NYC
11-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks, skaternum - when I started the thread, I thought this one was the real ice rink. It wasn't until later that I read a release saying it was fake ice.

I'm open to suggestions.

Isn't there a real-ice rink that opens sometime in December in Cary?

There was in 2006 & 2007 - the Koka Booth Amphitheatre held their "Tinseltown" celebration with a real ice rink outdoors. It was cute, very small, the ice was bad because the changing area was muddy and that mud ended up on the ice. They didn't have it last year (I think it was killing the lawn, imo) and I haven't seen any news about it this season as yet.

Isk8NYC
11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
skatingatty - Congrats again! Keep us posted on the baby!

The other outdoor rink, with real ice, is going to be the Progress Energy rink in downtown Raleigh on Fayetteville St. I don't know when it opens, but that sounds like a fun place to skate if you can avoid the crowds on weekends.

Much better choice, thanks very much. Real ice rules!!
(Maybe you can just come to show us the baby and have a bite to eat????)

Raleigh, NC - REAL ICE!!!! (Thanks skatingatty!)

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/raleighwinterfest/general_info.htm (http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/raleighwinterfest/general_info.htm)

GENERAL INFORMATION
Grab your mittens and scarves and make your way to the heart of the center city for Raleigh's premier holiday event—the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest. Winterfest is a two-month long extravaganza featuring an outdoor skating rink with natural ice. This family-friendly celebration of fun-filled activities at the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink kicks off with a memorable event on Friday, December 4.

The opening celebration on Friday, December 4 will run from 5 pm until 11 pm and will feature performances by local choirs and bands, talented figure skaters and a multitude of other entertainers, a visit by Santa Claus, a reading by Ira David Wood III (star of Theatre in the Park’s A Christmas Carol), delicious food and drink, a dazzling holiday tree lighting and Grammy-winning, country music headliner Michelle Branch. This FREE, community-wide kickoff event will be followed by two months of additional programming at the AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink.

The AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink will be located in City Plaza situated on the southern end of the 400 block of Fayetteville Street next to the Bank of America building and on top of the Charter Square parking deck.

Dates: 12/4/2009 - 1/31/2010

Hours vary - see schedule here: http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_files/docs/hours-of-operation.pdf (http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_files/docs/hours-of-operation.pdf)

A weeknight or Sunday opening time (noon) would be best for me, before 12/20/2009.

NCSkater02
11-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Week nights don't work for me (work and school committments) but I could potentially do a Sat or Sun, except for the 12th when I'm on call.

skaternum
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Week nights don't work for me (work and school committments) but I could potentially do a Sat or Sun, except for the 12th when I'm on call.

I could do a weekend, depending on the exact time. But then again, I'm not skating -- only meeting you guys for food & drink. :)

Isk8NYC
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Since we changed the location and dates, I've added a poll to tally interest. This would be either December or January since the rink opens 12/4/2009.

They said on their website that they were looking for volunteers, if anyone is interested.

Remember - it's REAL ICE, outdoors in the South! Yahooo!

skaternum
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry you are off the ice Skaternum - I hope it isn't forever? :( :( :(
Yes, unfortunately. I've finally come to the realization that the knee just isn't going to let me skate, so I boxed up all my skating stuff and am mentally adjusting to the notion of not skating anymore. :cry: But on the bright side, I can sleep in, I don't hurt all the time, and I have rediscovered massive amounts of disposable income. :P

NCSkater02
11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I could do a weekend, depending on the exact time. But then again, I'm not skating -- only meeting you guys for food & drink. :)

Or, you could keep my boyfriend company. He's leery of skating, but will try it to humor me...

skaternum
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Or, you could keep my boyfriend company. He's leery of skating, but will try it to humor me...

Indeed I could, but I'm really not sure I can emotionally handle going to a rink right now and not skating. It was a really, really hard decision to make, and it's still kind of "raw." :cry: I'm sure that sounds kind of silly, but skating is what I always wanted to do and I did everything I could do to try to keep skating. It's like losing a part of my identity in a way. (ETA: wow, that does sound all lame and histrionic!)

NCSkater02
11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Actually, you sound pretty normal to me. You're going through a grieving process and you have to go through all the stages. I completely understand where you are coming from. (OK, I'll step off the nurse wagon now.)

Petlover
11-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Skaternum, I also understand where you are coming from, it's really, really hard, especially as well as you skated. But, you can't take the chance of crippling your knee so badly you won't be able to walk.

Wish I lived in NC so I could come to the meetup, you all have fun and have a spiked hot cocoa for me.

mskater
11-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I think your reactions/emotions are pretty normal. Most of us adult skaters skate because we actually enjoy it and it's our way to 'escape' a little bit each day. I KNOW you are so strong and so well-rounded that you will make the best of this and find a way to re-direct your creativity and energy into something else that will bring you happiness.

Love ya! If there's anything I can do to help cheer you up just let me know...

londonicechamp
11-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi

Sorry cannot do the forum meetup in NY, as I do not live there.

Let me know how the forum meetup goes.

londonicechamp

FSWer
11-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Say,I myself have always wanted to do a meet-up at my Rink (Newington Arena) near were I live. So if there is anyone here who believes the could make it there sometime for a Public Skate. Please let me know too. I have always dreamed to meeting some of you and becoming friends in real life. I myself would have to let you know when I would be there. Time and Day of the weekend. But it would be and feel great!!! So if you can make it at anytime,please let me know too. Thanks.

Isk8NYC
12-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Two of our rink's skaters appeared in the rink opening exhibition. They said it's a very small rink (1/4 NHL size) and the crew was using shovels to clear the snow off the surface.

DH and I just synched our schedules and December's going to be too busy for me to get there for a meetup on a Sunday.

The rink is open through the end of January, so I propose the following:

Sunday, January 10, 2010
Time to be determined

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Someone just suggested (via email) that we EAT first then go skating.

It's a great suggestion (imo) since it gives us a definite schedule.

We can meet for breakfast/brunch/coffee, then the skaters can leave for the rink around 11:30am to make the noon opening time. (Better ice, I think.) Skaters can leave the ice when they want to head for home or chores. This way, no one's waiting around for others.

We still need restaurant suggestions. It would have to be a place that's open early.

How about:

Sunday, January 10, 2010
10-11:30am -- Breakfast/Brunch
12 noon -- Skating

skatingatty
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi, guys- thanks for the mesg, isk8nyc! I had my baby on 11/25 and am feeling pretty well, other than slightly sleep-deprived. Since it's going to be on a Sun., I'm sure my husband can take care of our son and let me get away f/a few hrs. I think I can skate too if my fat feet'll fit back into my skates. I haven't tried them on since Feb. & my feet swelled up during pregnancy. Either way, it'll be nice to see you all & see the rink. Some of my friends went there on Fri. and had a good time.

Isk8NYC
12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Congratulations!

Make sure you bring pictures of your bouncing baby boy! I'm looking forward to the meetup. jwrnsktr said she can make it that date, too.

I have two Red Cross-certified babysitters for when he gets a little older, lol.

skaternum
12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi, guys- thanks for the mesg, isk8nyc! I had my baby on 11/25 and am feeling pretty well, other than slightly sleep-deprived. Since it's going to be on a Sun., I'm sure my husband can take care of our son and let me get away f/a few hrs. I think I can skate too if my fat feet'll fit back into my skates. I haven't tried them on since Feb. & my feet swelled up during pregnancy. Either way, it'll be nice to see you all & see the rink. Some of my friends went there on Fri. and had a good time.
Yay! It'll be great to see you. I should be able to make it. Only thing that would interfere is a friend's birthday, but I can't imagine it would be that early.

Places that do brunch that early, or close:
Irregardless Cafe (opens at 10)
Humble Pie (opens at 11)
Bogart's (opens at 10)
IHOP (always open)

There may be others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

skatingatty
12-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Great! I love IHOP. There's also Big Ed's City Market at
220 Wolfe St
Raleigh, NC 27601. Anyone have a preference? Looking forward to this!

Isk8NYC
12-14-2009, 06:52 AM
IHOP was mentioned by someone else as well, so I say we go with that option. The menu has variety, the location's good, it'll be fun.

This is the closest one to the rink - about 6 minutes away, according to the IHOP directions: IHOP #408..1313 Hillsborough Street...RALEIGH, NC 27605-1826...919-821 2242 Restaurant Website (http://www.ihoplocator.com/Link.aspx?link=http%3a%2f%2fdata.gointranet.com%2f cgi-bin%2funitloc%2fihop%2flocator.cgi%3fcpage%3dmain. html%26amp%3bcu%3dwenderlein%26amp%3bcl%3d408&SrchId=2674976&LocId=2862)

10am - Brunch at IHOP, Noon - Skating on the outdoor ice rink.

Anyone else coming? Let me know and I'll update the RSVP list in the first post.

skaternum
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
IHOP works for me.

Judy, FYI, Big Ed's is closed on Sundays. <sniff>

So now that we have a date, time, and place ... let's have a roll call of who is coming.

Isk8NYC
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm definitely in!

NCSkater02
12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll be coming off a 24-hour call shift, so not only will I be super-cranky, I'll be tired and behind in class (after the first week of the semester, no less) Wish I could say otherwise...

skaternum
12-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll be coming off a 24-hour call shift, so not only will I be super-cranky, I'll be tired and behind in class (after the first week of the semester, no less) Wish I could say otherwise...

Come anyway, at least for brunch. :) A good hot meal will make you feel lots better, and you can leave as soon as the eating is done and go off to your studying. You'll study better on a full stomach. :halo:

skatingatty
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Yes, the food is great and there's plenty of coffee! I will be there too. :)

mskater
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd like to come - has this meeting occurred just yet or is it in January?

Isk8NYC
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Nope, you didn't miss the meetup, mskater. The more, the merrier! I'll add you to the list now.

Skatingforums Raleigh Meetup
January 10, 2009
10am - Brunch at IHOP
Noon - Skating on the outdoor ice rink.

Anyone else coming for brunch, skating, or both?
Let me know and I'll update the RSVP list in the first post.

RESTAURANT: IHOP #408..1313 Hillsborough Street...RALEIGH, NC 27605-1826...919-821 2242 Restaurant Website (http://www.ihoplocator.com/Link.aspx?link=http%3a%2f%2fdata.gointranet.com%2f cgi-bin%2funitloc%2fihop%2flocator.cgi%3fcpage%3dmain. html%26amp%3bcu%3dwenderlein%26amp%3bcl%3d408&SrchId=2674976&LocId=2862)

RINK: AT&T Raleigh Winterfest Ice Rink -- City Plaza situated on the southern end of the 400 block of Fayetteville Street next to the Bank of America building and on top of the Charter Square parking deck.

BarbraM - if you need a ride, let me know and we'll figure something out.

Isk8NYC
01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Six days and counting to the meetup...

skatingatty
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Hey guys,
My baby's gotten fussier so I will only be able to make it to the brunch part before heading home. See you all soon!

skaternum
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
See you guys Sunday!

Isk8NYC
01-09-2010, 10:57 PM
See y'all tomorrow!

NCSkater02
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Dang I forgot all about it. How was it?

Isk8NYC
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a great time thanks to my well-informed breakfast mates!

Jazz - I think skaternum knows where more bodies are buried (or should be) - I was like this numerous times :o

skatingatty needed the break from caring for her newborn and she's very sharp. (Remember, babies get easier as they get older!)

We really missed everyone who wanted to come but couldn't. Next month is Adult Easterns at my home rink - maybe we'll have another get together.

Re: Skating
My kids had begged to come with me, but turned them down, saying it was "Ladies Day Out." Since I was the only one who was going to skate, I drove past the rink. It's really nice in the sun - not too windy or anything. I wouldn't have even needed my ski pants and there was plenty of parking.

I felt guilty skating by myself when my kids really wanted to go, so I bailed and tried to get DH his birthday gift. (Massive fail.)

We'll go skating as a family - DH was intrigued by the diner-style IHOP with the friendly staff.

By the way, the rink's website says they're staying open until February 15th, so if anyone wants a romantic Valentine's activity, gotta skate!

skaternum
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I had a great time too. (And didn't feel hungry until about 6 pm!) I'm glad we could make it, even if we were a small crowd.

The Valentines outdoor skating idea is brilliant. I'm going to suggest it to some friends who are looking for something romantic for V-Day.

See you all at Easterns!

mskater
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Completely forgot about this:( I so would have come - although I did have company at my house so maybe it wouldn't have worked out. Nonetheless I'll be at Sectionals so I'll see all you lovely people there:]

How was the crowd? I went with a fellow skater about 2 weeks ago and though the crowd was massive (was a Thursday night) we had a great time skating - I love the rink and the live music and all the lights, etc.

Has anyone tried skating there on say Sunday morning? Is it busy then??

Isk8NYC
01-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I drove by Sunday morning around 12:30-1:00pm when it had just opened. It's very small (around the size of one corner hockey circle) but it wasn't too crowded, maybe 20 people on the ice around the edges, three kids/ladies who looked like they could skate hanging out in the middle. Lots of parents and little beginners.

I believe the nice people from Skating Club of North Carolina were offering free startup lessons yesterday in honor of National Skating Month. Very generous.

I have a gift - kids at public sessions always come to me and ask me to teach them stuff and I can't say no. I love teaching little girls how to do wobbly two-foot spins. Their faces just light up and then I get asked "Do you give lessons?"

Renatale can testify to this from the seasonal rink in Pershing Field, where there are no lesson programs. When we would hang out and skate, I'd be approached at least three times each session. I'd reply "I teach at () but not here, I'm just having fun skating with a friend."

Since I would have been alone yesterday, it would have looked like I was soliciting and I don't belong to SCNC. It would have been uncomfortable, like I was soliticing people away from other rink's lesson programs.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Went to this rink this afternoon with the family. It was sopping wet - the entire ice was a puddle and the ice was super-soft. Small wonder, it was warm outside. They have the cutest little golf cart-style ice resurfacer. I made DH take a photo of it because it was just darling.

Not crowded at all and because of the water, the ice wasn't chopped up - just really soft. I didn't really try anything fancy, just some spins and such.

The wind was pretty strong, so I taught the kids how to "kite" across the ice with the wind at their backs. DH liked doing it as well, since his Jacksons make him feel more secure going fast. He still won't learn how to stop though - one day, perhaps.

The kids skates were soaked - I just pulled out the insoles and opened them up to breathe/dry out.

skaternum
01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh, I want to see the little ice resurfacer! Can you post the pic?

skatingatty
02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey guys- the ihop get-together was fun! gave me a reason to escape the confines of baby central too. i look forward to seeing everyone again at easterns. can't believe it is Feb. already. :)

Isk8NYC
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I had a great time too. DH really wanted to visit that IHOP, but the kiddies wanted dinner, not brunch.

Oh, I want to see the little ice resurfacer! Can you post the pic? I'll try to pull it off his phone and post it. Hmmm...he might have sent it to my phone. BRB