View Full Version : SkateWrecks: Episode II--When Blades Attack

AgnesNitt
11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
The other one was getting long.
Has anyone noted how three turns are the leading cause on the board for broken ankles?

dance2sk8
11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
LOL! Love the title! I hope to not be in this thread much longer. My ankle is coming along nicely. Been able to do waltz and salchow jumps. Finally! I miss being in the air and landing on ice. Its an addiction. I need counseling. :lol:

sk8lady
11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
My toepicks tried to kill me twice recently. I think they suddenly extended like Wolverine's claws, right in the middle of a swing roll.

sk8pics
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Not just 3-turns, but seems like footwork type stuff in general. :cry:

liz_on_ice
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I have yet to hear of anyone injuring more than their dignity on a jump. Just *standing* there seems to be among the most dangerous things you can do on skates. :roll:

AgnesNitt
11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I have yet to hear of anyone injuring more than their dignity on a jump. Just *standing* there seems to be among the most dangerous things you can do on skates. :roll:

My former (retired) coach was standing and just fell--had to hauled to the emergency room with a cracked elbow.
The Big Guy says the most dangerous thing for adult skaters to do is to stand around on the ice and tell naughty jokes--someone's bound to laugh so hard they fall down.

PinkLaces
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM

No kidding. That's how I wrecked my knees up this summer. They're better now, but it took quite awhile to heal.

Had to laugh at the thread title. Two weeks ago I was doing the back landing pattern for Bronze Moves. As I was in the back landing position, a kid came through my path. I fell on my butt, but left toe pick hit my right shin. I had 2 huge bruises - one with the perfect toe pick shaped scab in the middle where it jabbed me.

katz in boots
11-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Footwork falls dangerous? Standing around doing nothing falls dangerous? Both True, but if you really want to do damage, try the dreaded bunny hop - missing your pick! Ouch!!!!

fsk8r
11-11-2009, 02:52 AM
concussion and whiplash from doing something like turning from backwards to forwards. Not really sure what happened, but didn't really control the fall well enough to stop going after I'd hit the butt.

But fully agree that 3-turns seem to be evil. I've had more falls on back inside double 3's than I'd care to remember. Although I've sometimes done more damage on those, by NOT falling than when I fall.

dance2sk8
11-11-2009, 08:37 AM

:: sigh :: I guess I am one of the few who have injured herself on doing OFF-ICE jumping. :( :lol::lol:

jazzpants
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Footwork falls dangerous? Standing around doing nothing falls dangerous? Both True, but if you really want to do damage, try the dreaded bunny hop - missing your pick! Ouch!!!!
"Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit..." :P (Of course, since Thin Ice has rabbits as pets, I have to add I meant the jump, not the animal.) :)

fsk8r
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
:: sigh :: I guess I am one of the few who have injured herself on doing OFF-ICE jumping. :( :lol::lol:

No I know someone who sprained an ankle (bad sprain) from doing an off-ice waltz jump. And I did a mild sprain last night jumping off-ice.

momsk8er
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I broke my foot doing a loop jump off ice. Just came down hard on the side of the foot and crack! Spent that summer in a boot cast.

dance2sk8
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Does this mean, "NOTE to self", no off-ice jumping? :lol:

I wish I could say yes to this. But doing off-ice jumping has completely enhanced my flip and loop jumps. Maybe just not so high in the air when I jump for my waltz jumps. ;)

fsk8r
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Does this mean, "NOTE to self", no off-ice jumping? :lol:

I wish I could say yes to this. But doing off-ice jumping has completely enhanced my flip and loop jumps. Maybe just not so high in the air when I jump for my waltz jumps. ;)

and how else do you practice rotational jumping to ever learn things like axels and doubles?
(although I've done a note to self, no off-ice jumping until AFTER the next competition)

sk8tmum
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Skating Divas Under the Height of 4' 2" tall. Leading cause of injuries to my kids. Especially when executing a 2A, a camel spin, or a backwards spiral.

Skittl1321
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
and how else do you practice rotational jumping to ever learn things like axels and doubles?
(although I've done a note to self, no off-ice jumping until AFTER the next competition)

Could you jump into a pool? It seems to be the landing of off ice jumps that is an issue, since in skating it is expected that the landing MOVES. Jumps in dance and gymnastics are designed such that the landing stays. I think that's where off-ice skating jump injuries often come in.

Or practice rotation on a trampoline. But I don't think that will replicate the feel of the entrance, nor gain the strength to get UP

Kat12
11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
try the dreaded bunny hop - missing your pick!

Ouch indeed! I've missed my pick before on waltz jumps and still had it turn out okay, but I've missed my pick a couple times on bunny hops and it's always been disaster.

I guess I am one of the few who have injured herself on doing OFF-ICE jumping.
Nope! Lost my balance during jumps on an off-ice session once and landed on my knee. OW. Had a lovely bruise. Should've left the knee pads on!

Belly-flopped trying to do a catch-foot today...it never hurts except when I land flat forward...then the fronts of my hipbones smash into the ice. OW. I need a hipbone pad! (probably wouldn't be that hard to make, really. Be sorta like a bum roll like folks wear when they dress up for Ren Fest, only worn backward)

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2009, 06:07 AM
"Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit..." :P (Of course, since Thin Ice has rabbits as pets, I have to add I meant the jump, not the animal.) :)

That's how you do a bunny hop, isn't it - first you kick the bunnywabbit in the tummy, and then, when he doubles over in pain, you stomp on the back of his neck....

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2009, 07:31 AM
My worst fall so far has been on a toe-loop where I missed putting my toe into the ice....it must have looked scary because several people came over to see if I was still alive! Hurt so bad I thought I wasn't wearing my pads (but I was). Nasty purple bruise for weeks. Next dangerous, standing around and woosh! down I went. Another time, I was clipped from behind by a 4-year-old tot-gone-wild.....went down flat and hard! Those tots are small and fast-like comets!

I haven't been skating this whole week, been recovering from the flu....it really knocked the wind out of my sails! I even put off practicing my flute as I get so winded, etc. I'm hoping to keep it together for Friday's group class and show rehearsal, and lesson on Sunday.

dance2sk8
11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
...I was clipped from behind by a 4-year-old tot-gone-wild.....went down flat and hard! Those tots are small and fast-like comets!

NO KIDDING! I am a giant compared to most people in height, and I clipped the boot of one 3-4 year old girl going into a spin. It scared the crap outta me. I am uber conscious when I am on the ice...hey, this could be a good topic on the board. Talk about a time when a 4 year old took you down. :lol:

Kim to the Max
11-12-2009, 08:11 AM
A lot of my worst bruises have come from going down on footwork. My other fear is running into people when I am doing my moves or having to try to avoid people...it just doesn't work and I tend to go down when that happens.

Kat12
11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
^I live in fear that I'll run into somebody and injure them...especially if it's somebody who's a good skater and I just put them out of commission! Don't care so much about me--I'm never going to be even remotely a good skater and it's no tragedy if I'm off the ice for a few weeks, but...for other people it'd be a disaster!

liz_on_ice
11-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Episode II indeed.

8O I broke my *other* wrist. There are no words.

Kat12
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Liz! OW!!! That sucks. Hope it gets better soon! (Is that a bad sentiment to express when it comes to broken bones? I mean, it heals as fast as it heals! But you know what I mean) *signs your virtual cast*

Skate@Delaware
11-15-2009, 07:44 PM
NO KIDDING! I am a giant compared to most people in height, and I clipped the boot of one 3-4 year old girl going into a spin. It scared the crap outta me. I am uber conscious when I am on the ice...hey, this could be a good topic on the board. Talk about a time when a 4 year old took you down. :lol:
I ran into a kid tonight while I was skating my moves, I did say "EXCUSE ME" in my totally loud outside MOM voice but she was oblivious! Luckily, I was able to "scoot" (haha not push) her out of the way! Should have seen her face! 8O maybe she will pay more attention next time?
Episode II indeed.

GIRL!!!!! That just totally bites!

dbny
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Episode II indeed.

You KNOW that deserves its own thread! I cannot believe it. The only thing I can think is that you are getting it all over with at once, and will lead a charmed life on the ice when you go back. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Terri C
11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I have my own recent story of "how blades attack."
Back in September at my first competition of the season, I was skating my Artistic program to David Cook's "Time of My Life." When the lyrics sing about "rising from the ashes" I was stooping down on my left foot and about to come up when I hit my toepick, went flying foward with a scream and bellyflopped onto the ice. So much for trying to "rise from the ashes."
I recovered well and skated the rest of the program clean, but the next day or week rather, I was very sore and my right knee was three different colors.

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Hugs liz-on-ice! Still, you aren't the first skater to be obliged to skate with splints on both wrists, and I don't suppose you'll be the last, either.

Isk8NYC
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Episode II indeed.

I am so sorry. I hope you heal quickly and uneventfully.

dance2sk8
11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Hugs to liz on ice. I can't imagine the frustration in that. :( Keep your chin up!!!

RachelSk8er
11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Went back to the doctor today. Xrays looked good, I'm out of the ugly plastic boot and have a smaller, less obnoxious brace to wear. No jumping/spinning/full out skating for another 3 weeks but I am allowed to get back on the ice this week "if there is other stuff I can do safely" (doctor didn't know much about figure skating).

I thought about working on dance while I'm on restrictions and passing the blues (even if I just get the adult pass and standard has to wait, although that would be the only test I could do and still compete silver solo at ANs this year). However, my coach just hurt his knee very badly playing flag football and he's off the ice for a while now. So much for that idea. So I'm going to ease back into skating by working on the adult moves tests (since all my tests are standard). I'd like to test all 4 of them on December 7th if the ankle can handle it. After that, I'll hopefully be cleared start jumping/spinning again and preparing for Wyandotte and get back to my junior moves test. (If I don't give myself a goal like this to focus on, I'll go back to skating as usual too soon.)

dance2sk8
11-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Went back to the doctor today. Xrays looked good, I'm out of the ugly plastic boot and have a smaller, less obnoxious brace to wear. No jumping/spinning/full out skating for another 3 weeks but I am allowed to get back on the ice this week "if there is other stuff I can do safely" (doctor didn't know much about figure skating).

I thought about working on dance while I'm on restrictions and passing the blues (even if I just get the adult pass and standard has to wait, although that would be the only test I could do and still compete silver solo at ANs this year). However, my coach just hurt his knee very badly playing flag football and he's off the ice for a while now. So much for that idea. So I'm going to ease back into skating by working on the adult moves tests (since all my tests are standard). I'd like to test all 4 of them on December 7th if the ankle can handle it. After that, I'll hopefully be cleared start jumping/spinning again and preparing for Wyandotte and get back to my junior moves test. (If I don't give myself a goal like this to focus on, I'll go back to skating as usual too soon.)

I'll warn you now, dance will really aggravate your ankle (if you sprained it like I did, but yours sounded like it was worse than mine). It did mine. I could do moves and spins when I got on the ice, but all the pressure and edge work of dance seemed to make it sore. Plus, the first time I put on my skating boot...ouch! The pressure was not so fun. After 3 days and the swelling was basically gone, it felt fine. Dance still bothers my ankle. I have to keep that to a minimal.

RachelSk8er
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I'll warn you now, dance will really aggravate your ankle (if you sprained it like I did, but yours sounded like it was worse than mine). It did mine. I could do moves and spins when I got on the ice, but all the pressure and edge work of dance seemed to make it sore. Plus, the first time I put on my skating boot...ouch! The pressure was not so fun. After 3 days and the swelling was basically gone, it felt fine. Dance still bothers my ankle. I have to keep that to a minimal.

Yeah, I thought about that. The first edge of the choctaw in the blues will probably be hard, since it puts all my weight on a LFI edge. I may have to stay away from dance for a while. Luckily the two solos I'm competing this year are ones I passed long ago and I can whip them back into shape pretty quickly (the American really should not be bad on the ankle, I think the only thing on the Foxtrot that may aggravate it will be the LFO into the mohawk on the end pattern). I was originally going to compete the Kilian at Wyandotte in addition to the Foxtrot and American, but now I won't be able to get that one up to par in time with the edges on that choctaw.

Did you injure your left or your right? I hurt my left, so I think it will be more realistic to get back to jumping (axel and sal aside) before I can get back to doing forward spins on my L foot.

dance2sk8
11-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. The first edge of the choctaw in the blues will probably be hard, since it puts all my weight on a LFI edge. I may have to stay away from dance for a while. Luckily the two solos I'm competing this year are ones I passed long ago and I can whip them back into shape pretty quickly (the American really should not be bad on the ankle, I think the only thing on the Foxtrot that may aggravate it will be the LFO into the mohawk on the end pattern). I was originally going to compete the Kilian at Wyandotte in addition to the Foxtrot and American, but now I won't be able to get that one up to par in time with the edges on that choctaw.

Did you injure your left or your right? I hurt my left, so I think it will be more realistic to get back to jumping (axel and sal aside) before I can get back to doing forward spins on my L foot.

I noticed you will be at Wyandotte. So will I! :D I'll be competing Bronze and hopefully doing an Interpretive/Dramatic.

I injured my right ankle. So jumping has been a slow come back. :cry: Spinning and most of my footwork now is not a problem (actually improved my camel like crazy). Twizzling on it has come around as well. However, doing back cross rolls hurt last week and doing dance on Saturday was a stretch. My ankle was slightly throbbing at the end. Took some Ibuprofen and went right back out for 2 more freestyle sessions. I kinda overdid it. Today it feels really good. I can flex more. That's been the hardest thing for me. Putting full weight and flexing (bend at the knee).

The first time I put on some skates was 2 weeks ago today. The first day was tough. I was shaky and concerned about bumping my ankle as it was still tender. The boot actually hurt to put on (the pressure around the ankle). :frus: I was able to skate around and do some forward cross overs to the left, to the right, not a chance. This past weekend was the first I was able to be completely comfortable on back cross overs. Its taking time to heal. Trying really hard not to over do it. But jumping has come back which I am glad about. Even doing some toe jumps (flip).

I hope you heal fast. Glad we did this now and not in December!!! :giveup:

P.S. I have actually felt some uncomfortableness in my calf of the leg that I sprained my ankle. Super weird. But I know its because the muscles are connected. Be careful on that, too.

tazsk8s
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Episode II indeed.

No, none that we can use on the forums, anyway. :cry:

Really, really sorry to hear this! I wish a speedy recovery for you!

2loop2loop
11-16-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm a giant compared to most four year olds too. I don't think one of them has ever taken me out, but I can think of a number of times where one has got in my way and, having no room to stop, I had no choice but to scoop them up and set them down again once it was safe again. I think that surprises them more than being knocked down.

RachelSk8er
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm a giant compared to most four year olds too. I don't think one of them has ever taken me out, but I can think of a number of times where one has got in my way and, having no room to stop, I had no choice but to scoop them up and set them down again once it was safe again. I think that surprises them more than being knocked down.

I've done this (once scooped up a kid in the middle of a dance pattern because otherwise I would have run her over), only to have the kid's parent go off on me. Um, maybe your kid should not be on a crowded session full of higher tested skaters when they don't know how to look out and can't skate well enough to get out of the way.

mdvask8r
11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
HaHa! Years ago on a busy public, my coach set out to show me a BIIIGGG waltz jump. Just as he took off, you guessed it, a little guy stumbled into his path. He scooped the kid up and took him along for the jump. The landing ended in a heap (with the kid on top, of course, unharmed.) The kid's eyes got 8O, then he laughed and wanted more.

liz_on_ice
11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Wrist surgery part 2 scheduled for thursday. Sucks, but over with fast has merit.

ibreakhearts66
11-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Haha, years ago, my coach was doing a cantilever going CW. One of her skaters did an axel going CCW. She grabbed him right as he landed before she was even upright and stood up from the cantilever holding on to him. She is a STRONG woman!

I think I'm going to officially take myself off the injured list. I'm back on the ice after my ablation and feeling pretty good. I'm having really, really bad knee pain, but it bothers me LEAST when I skate and is probably just general aches and pains from high school and club sports.

Kat12
11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely a proponent of the "I'm running into you so let's grab onto each other and hold each other up until we're balanced again" technique. Happened to me once when a kid darted in front of me, and happened the other day when one of the rink buddies and I ran into each other, lol.

Skate@Delaware
11-18-2009, 07:47 AM
A few years ago during show practice, we were doing a straight line synchro number (there were TEN of us so you could NOT MISS US) and one of the bigger girls dashed out in front of us....I was on the end-all I could do was grab her as we twirled....otherwise we BOTH would have gone down. She later said she saw us but misjudged how fast we were going :roll: (yeah, the old ladies can skate fast when we are all going together). After that, people stayed out of our way. It was funny afterwards, scary when it happened though.

RachelSk8er
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I noticed you will be at Wyandotte. So will I! :D I'll be competing Bronze and hopefully doing an Interpretive/Dramatic.

P.S. I have actually felt some uncomfortableness in my calf of the leg that I sprained my ankle. Super weird. But I know its because the muscles are connected. Be careful on that, too.

I'll be doing silver free, pre-silver and silver solo dance (prob sitting out pre-gold because I won't have the Kilian back in shape). I'd like to do masters interp, I was going to do a lt ent program and maybe a new AD program for this year, but at this point I may have to just re-vamp last year's artistic/dramatic program instead. (Since I'm sitting out 2 comps, probably not doing mids, and won't have a paper to write during ANs like last year, I can do 4 events at ANs).

I've noticed a lot of calf/shin pain and even some knee soreness from walking kind of funny. Actually my shin really bothered me when I was in the boot, because the bruising spread up to my knee and the boot rubbed against it. I start PT today. It's crazy how week my ankle got just from not really using it for 3 weeks. So far walking boot-free, I was OK Monday. Yesterday I had a lot of soreness and I was thinking there was no way I could skate yet. But so far today I'm ok. Stairs are still hard, gong down I still need to take them one at a time old lady-style.

The goal is to skate Friday morning for 30 min, and then try for 45 or an hour on Saturday. (And roller skates for a bit on Sunday at derby practice, just skating around and no more than 30 min.)

Isk8NYC
11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I was skating the PM spiral sequence and was just finishing the next-to-last outside spiral when one of the college students came down the ice doing a different pattern. She was skating forward on TWO feet - all she had to do was slow down. Instead, she made eye contact with me and proceeded to cut me off with my free foot still in the air!

I couldn't stop in time to prevent a collision, so I put my free foot down and just grabbed her because I was going really fast. If I had just hit her, she would have been thrown backwards. I kept both of us on our feet, but I slammed my right wrist and thumb really badly. Still hurts.

dance2sk8
11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
I'll be doing silver free, pre-silver and silver solo dance (prob sitting out pre-gold because I won't have the Kilian back in shape). I'd like to do masters interp, I was going to do a lt ent program and maybe a new AD program for this year, but at this point I may have to just re-vamp last year's artistic/dramatic program instead. (Since I'm sitting out 2 comps, probably not doing mids, and won't have a paper to write during ANs like last year, I can do 4 events at ANs).

I've noticed a lot of calf/shin pain and even some knee soreness from walking kind of funny. Actually my shin really bothered me when I was in the boot, because the bruising spread up to my knee and the boot rubbed against it. I start PT today. It's crazy how week my ankle got just from not really using it for 3 weeks. So far walking boot-free, I was OK Monday. Yesterday I had a lot of soreness and I was thinking there was no way I could skate yet. But so far today I'm ok. Stairs are still hard, gong down I still need to take them one at a time old lady-style.

The goal is to skate Friday morning for 30 min, and then try for 45 or an hour on Saturday. (And roller skates for a bit on Sunday at derby practice, just skating around and no more than 30 min.)

Oh man, you had a worse sprain than me if the bruising spread up to your knee. I had bruising on the inside and outside of my ankle (also where the blood drains down to the bottom of the foot, that looked pretty...NOT!) The bruising spread up a little over the top of my ankle and that was it (light bruising). My ankle is pretty much back to normal size wise. Still can't do off ice jumping yet. Loop jumps have to be minimal since that requires a lot of force on it. Every day I seem to be able to do more and more.

I hope you heal as quickly as I have so far.

Tomorrow I have PT. I'm also doing thera-band work outs with it at home on my ankle - flex and point - (picked up a pack of them at Meijer), soaking my ankle in hot water before I shower (use Epsom salt if you want to do this, and it feels really good when your ankle is sore). And doing cold laser therapy on it as well. All seems to have been effective for a quick recovery.

Which club do you skate at?

RachelSk8er
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh man, you had a worse sprain than me if the bruising spread up to your knee. I had bruising on the inside and outside of my ankle (also where the blood drains down to the bottom of the foot, that looked pretty...NOT!) The bruising spread up a little over the top of my ankle and that was it (light bruising). My ankle is pretty much back to normal size wise. Still can't do off ice jumping yet. Loop jumps have to be minimal since that requires a lot of force on it. Every day I seem to be able to do more and more.

I hope you heal as quickly as I have so far.

Tomorrow I have PT. I'm also doing thera-band work outs with it at home on my ankle - flex and point - (picked up a pack of them at Meijer), soaking my ankle in hot water before I shower (use Epsom salt if you want to do this, and it feels really good when your ankle is sore). And doing cold laser therapy on it as well. All seems to have been effective for a quick recovery.

Which club do you skate at?

Strongsville Skating Club (Cleveland suburb)

I went to PT today but I'm probably not going back. They had me doing a bunch of band stuff and standing things that were pretty much common sense and all of them are ankle strengthening exercises I was already doing as part of my normal gym routine before I even got hurt (with weights versus the band), same stuff with the BOSU I already do as well (I used worked as a personal trainer in college). Some of it was stuff I'd actually started on my own last week. They want me to do PT twice a week for a month, but I don't feel like shelling out the $30/session copay for some PT assistant to tell me what I already know. I'm going to do the exercises they gave me for the next few weeks, ease back into skating, cardio equipment, weight training, and see how it goes. If I don't see progress I'll go back to PT, but my company has a personal trainer in our company's gym who was a PT assistant, and she'll teach us different exercises and that sort of thing for free. (The only thing we have to pay for are one-on-one training sessions.)

dance2sk8
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Strongsville Skating Club (Cleveland suburb)

I went to PT today but I'm probably not going back. They had me doing a bunch of band stuff and standing things that were pretty much common sense and all of them are ankle strengthening exercises I was already doing as part of my normal gym routine before I even got hurt (with weights versus the band), same stuff with the BOSU I already do as well (I used worked as a personal trainer in college). Some of it was stuff I'd actually started on my own last week. They want me to do PT twice a week for a month, but I don't feel like shelling out the $30/session copay for some PT assistant to tell me what I already know. I'm going to do the exercises they gave me for the next few weeks, ease back into skating, cardio equipment, weight training, and see how it goes. If I don't see progress I'll go back to PT, but my company has a personal trainer in our company's gym who was a PT assistant, and she'll teach us different exercises and that sort of thing for free. (The only thing we have to pay for are one-on-one training sessions.)

I am from the Avon Lake area. I grew up there. :) I moved to Michigan about 6 years ago for work and haven't left. (Also got married ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track. The PT appointments I go to are free due to a friend of the family and he uses this machine on my leg that puts pressure on certain areas over a a period of time. I think it releases the toxins and helps with the healing process. Its great, but kinda hurts. Its like having a massive massage.

RachelSk8er
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I am from the Avon Lake area. I grew up there. :) I moved to Michigan about 6 years ago for work and haven't left. (Also got married ;)

Sounds like you are on the right track. The PT appointments I go to are free due to a friend of the family and he uses this machine on my leg that puts pressure on certain areas over a a period of time. I think it releases the toxins and helps with the healing process. Its great, but kinda hurts. Its like having a massive massage.

Nice. We actually have something like that at my parents house, probably not as high tech. It's a cuff that connects to a cooler and some little machine thing, the cuff fills with cold water and puts pressure/vibration on the injured area. (My sister is a college soccer player and swimmer and she's had a few surgeries, I guess insurance covered it and we never had to give it back. She's actually in the undergrad portion of the PT program but she might go to medical school instead). I've been using that since the injury happened and that's probably what helped it heal faster. A friend who skates at my rink and is a PT, she actually spent a few months last year working specifically with injured skaters at a clinic in Canada doing on-ice rehab, and she also said she's work with me.

Did you skate at all when you lived in Cleveland? I actually lived in MI for a bit too, I used to skate on the Crystallettes out of Dearborn MI before I quit synchro.

ibreakhearts66
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I just wanted to pipe in on the ankle sprain/injury discussion. Every time I hear about someone's ankle injury, I'm more and more confused about how mine worked out. I destroyed my ankle playing soccer. Came down after taking a shot, ankle rolled and my whole body weight landed on top of it. I heard it snap but was able to get up, "walk it off," and completed practice including a 2 mile run. It swelled, but not that much and it bruised, but not that much. I never needed crutches. It was so disgustingly unstable, though, that I ended up going to the doctor. When they did one of the tests where they hold your shin and pull your foot forward from the heel and then the one where they invert your foot and the degree to which my foot moved was just disturbing. I had totally ruptured two of the ligaments and ended up needed surgery, but had little pain and swelling.

Is there anyone else here who has had something like that happen? I still don't understand HOW I was in so little pain after the injury.

dance2sk8
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I just wanted to pipe in on the ankle sprain/injury discussion. Every time I hear about someone's ankle injury, I'm more and more confused about how mine worked out. I destroyed my ankle playing soccer. Came down after taking a shot, ankle rolled and my whole body weight landed on top of it. I heard it snap but was able to get up, "walk it off," and completed practice including a 2 mile run. It swelled, but not that much and it bruised, but not that much. I never needed crutches. It was so disgustingly unstable, though, that I ended up going to the doctor. When they did one of the tests where they hold your shin and pull your foot forward from the heel and then the one where they invert your foot and the degree to which my foot moved was just disturbing. I had totally ruptured two of the ligaments and ended up needed surgery, but had little pain and swelling.

Is there anyone else here who has had something like that happen? I still don't understand HOW I was in so little pain after the injury.

Ahhh, I'd love for my husband to chime in on this as he's a nurse. :)

Found this on google:

"Sometimes ligament sprains can be more painful than ligament ruptures, since all pain receptors are destroyed upon rupture and thus they no longer cause pain."

Guess that explains why you didn't feel any pain.

RachelSk8er
11-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Ankles are tricky since there are so many bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles involved. I've had sprained ankles in the past where I was fine a few days later with little-no swelling/bruising. With the fall I took last month, I felt and heard a snap when I fell. There was no way I was getting up, and I was certain it was broken (more so than the "hairline fracture" they were never able to confirm whether I had or not), but it wasn't. With all of the swelling and bruising, you would have thought something must have at the very least been torn. But everything checked out OK. My sister had a break in her ankle from soccer but had no clue until 3 weeks later when she went to the doctor (the pain wasn't bad, she had no swelling/bruising, could walk, so she thought it was shin splints and kept icing it).

liz_on_ice
11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Two broken radius bones and I barely felt either when they happened. First time I didn't believe it was broken till i took off my glove and saw what it was shaped like. 8O Second one still didn't hurt but I had a pretty good idea from experience what was up before looked. Of course i felt every bump and motion on the way to ER, but very little pain as long as the bones were still.

The skate guard who helped me off the ice and tied my shoes told me he'd broken his wrist earlier that year and drove himself to the ER 8O 8O

ibreakhearts66
11-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Ahhh, I'd love for my husband to chime in on this as he's a nurse. :)

Found this on google:

"Sometimes ligament sprains can be more painful than ligament ruptures, since all pain receptors are destroyed upon rupture and thus they no longer cause pain."

Guess that explains why you didn't feel any pain.

That makes sense. That was the only thing I could think of since it hurt as it happened, but I was able to get right back up. Thanks!

tazsk8s
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
The skate guard who helped me off the ice and tied my shoes told me he'd broken his wrist earlier that year and drove himself to the ER 8O 8O

When I broke mine, I somehow got my skates off by myself and drove myself home. Hubby was P'd off that I'd done that instead of calling home for a ride, or calling an ambulance. Since I work for the fire department where the rink is located, it would have been my co-workers transporting me. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm still living it down even without that experience!

sk8pics
11-19-2009, 05:25 AM
One of my friends broke his elbow and drove himself to the hospital, too. 8O He broke it doing a waltz-loop combination, I believe. Ended up needing surgery and had his elbow casted at a 90 degree angle. Yikes!

ibreakhearts66
11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I've also been bad about driving when I'm not supposed to. I drove myself either 4 or 5 times while having a heart arrhythmia--atrial flutter and a heart rate of 250. The arrhythmias always happened while I was skating my house is between the rink and the hospital. If I waited for my mom to pick me up, it would take an extra hour and a half to get to the hospital AND my car would be stuck at the rink so....I just drove home. One time I ended up driving to the hospital myself because it was an early morning freestyle and my mom wasn't even awake yet. Sent her text message once I got to the ER :halo: