View Full Version : They say change is sometimes good...

jazzpants
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
And I hope this change will be a good one...

I have made an official change on my coaching. Effective 11/4/09 (yes, my birthday! There's always something going on then! :P ) I have not only started lessons again after a long "absence", but have switched primary coach.

Long and short, old primary coach and I have a schedule conflict and I no longer can make his time. His Monday nights is all booked. The agreement with old primary coach and I now is when one of his regular students on Monday night drops out that I'll take the empty slot. Of course, given his popularity, it's not likely gonna happen! :P

Also, this past April (after AN) I was sitting in the hair shop getting a haircut and we've discussed our future after I find a job! We agreed that I need someone who is very senior in the coach food chain to work with me. So this was in the works for a while.

My new primary coach is.. old primary coach's former primary coach! (Does that make sense? :?? ) I have had previous work experience with the new primary coach since I was a beginner in skating school and he was my group lesson coach, but my most recent experience with him is that he was my choreographer for my artistic program that I debut this year at AN. He also started work on my crossovers, edge work and Silver Moves along with my secondary coach. I saw improvements on all counts in the few months I've worked with him and I had some small improvements in my skating at AN. (Of course, secondary coach has a hand in it too, especially on the power part.) Those who know him well know he is very experienced with competitive adult skaters that goes to AN and is seen at the competitor's party. :P It was not hard to go thru the "change coach" protocol since the two coaches are on very good terms. And given the feedback from a few people I told at my rink, seems everyone assured me I made a VERY smart move and singing praises of my new primary coach. Most of them commented on his edge work, MITF, and choreography.

Note: no change to secondary coach! She's still EVILLE! She was my lesson day after my b-day and we are tackling the equally EVILLE FO mohawks. :twisted:

I'll leave it in the wise words of my new primary coach when I made the offer to him: "It was meant to be." :)

Skittl1321
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Hope the coach change works out for you! It sounds like it was a positive change.

Terri C
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Those who know him well know he is very experienced with competitive adult skaters that goes to AN and is seen at the competitor's party. :P It was not hard to go thru the "change coach" protocol since the two coaches are on very good terms. And given the feedback from a few people I told at my rink, seems everyone assured me I made a VERY smart move and singing praises of my new primary coach. Most of them commented on his edge work, MITF, and choreography.

He gets praises from this skater on the Eastern Seaboard that he helped out at AN. He didn't know me, except for being Jazz's roomate at AN this year and had not seen me skate. Nevertheless, he said the EXACT same things about my technique that my coaches here at home had been after me all season long for!

Clarice
11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
My new primary coach is.. old primary coach's former primary coach! (Does that make sense? :?? )

So your new coach is also your grandcoach! :)

Petlover
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Good for you Jazzpants! It's hard to make a change, but this is definitely the right one for you.

AgnesNitt
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM

OT but that comment reminded me of the time the Big Guy had a primary coach and a second coach that the primary coach didn't know about. We called his primary coach his 'wife coach' and the second coach his 'mistress coach'.
Now all the coaches in a region must know each other, so I expect the wife coach knew, she was just too polite to say anything. After all how many 6'3" bald guys that figure skate? Word's gotta get around.

jazzpants
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Geez, that sounds so incestuous,but yes. :twisted: :lol:

I used to have a secondary coach we nicknamed "Mistress Coach" too! The reason for her name was she was SCARY tough ...and that one of her students bought a whip as a Christmas gift for her! :twisted: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I hope it works out for you. We, too, may have a coaching change in the works, but are not sure yet whether this will happen and, if so, who we will work with. If anybody - this may turn out to be the end of the road for us, but I hope not.

Isk8NYC
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Good luck with all your coaching changes.

jazzpants
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope it works out for you. We, too, may have a coaching change in the works, but are not sure yet whether this will happen and, if so, who we will work with. If anybody - this may turn out to be the end of the road for us, but I hope not.

Oh, no! 8O What's going on with your coach(es)? You can PM me if you don't want to mention online?