View Full Version : Leg surgery info needed

Debbie S
11-09-2009, 05:23 PM
As some of you on here already know, I broke my leg skating Saturday. I did an RBO 3-turn, got a little off-balance, pitched forward a little, started to fall, put my left foot down, which got twisted under me as I fell. My coach didn't tell me this at the time, but she was near me and heard the snap. After being carried off the ice by the skating director (some of you may know her from Champ Masters at AN) and Flo's pairs partner (strong guy!), I went off to the hospital in an ambulance. Diagnosis: 2 fractures, 1 in the tibia near the ankle - at the top of my skate - and 1 in the fibula near the knee.

Today, I saw an ortho doc for the permanent cast (which was the most painful thing I have ever experienced - try flexing an ankle at a fracture point - my mom told me it looked and sounded worse than childbirth) and discussed options. I don't need surgery, b/c the fracture is not that displaced (this is the tibia fracture, doc said he's not worried about the fibula fracture - that bone doesn't bear a lot of weight and those type of fractures usually heal by themselves) but the recovery time is much longer w/o surgery. 6 weeks in this hard cast I'm in now (which goes from the base of my toes up almost to my crotch), 4 weeks in a hard cast that goes to just below the knee, and then a few more weeks in something else - boot, or maybe another hard cast, depending on healing.

If I had surgery, which consists of 5 small incisions (3 by the knee, 2 by the ankle bone) and inserting a rod into the tibia and holding it with 2 screws near the ankle, I'd be in a walking boot (removable) for 4 weeks (or did he say 6?) with little to no weight-bearing and then I could walk and start PT. So recovery time would be at least a month less, and I wouldn't have to wear this blasted cast. The way things are now, I can't drive (it's my left leg so doesn't affect my driving, but I can't fit and manage the cast in the driver's seat) and can't really sit at a desk for long periods, so no work. I've got 5 weeks of sick leave accumulated, but this would be longer than that and I suspect my boss wouldn't want me out that long - although I talked to her today and she understands my options and so far has been supportive.

But there are of course risks with surgery - infection, the screws and/or rod not working right and/or being uncomfortable. OTOH, I might end up needing surgery anyway if the fracture doesn't heal by itself in the cast. The procedure takes about an hour and I would need to spend 1 night in the hospital for monitoring and pain mgmt (although none of the pain meds they gave me through an IV at the hospital on Saturday seemed to work so I don't know how well my pain would be managed anyway). I've never had surgery or general anesthesia before (unless you count tooth extractions and 'laughing gas') and I've never been in the hospital. I'm not in any hurry to break that streak, lol, but I just don't feel like the non-surgery option is feasible. It's not about getting back to skating (I'm sort of waffling about whether skating is worth this agony, but I could also break my leg walking down the street, or doing some other activity) but about living my life and doing basic things. My mom has been staying with me since Saturday but she can't do that forever.

Has anyone here had (or know someone who had) this type of surgery? I would be interested to hear about the recovery process, whether the rod and screws worked as they should. I asked the doctor if I'd set off metal detectors and he said I might - I think there is a card/letter I can carry stating that - I've heard people with pacemakers have them. I also asked if I'd feel the hardware and he said I'd probably feel the screws and possibly the rod. They can be removed, but would have to stay in for at least 18 months. And that would mean another surgery.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has had a fracture and developed blisters at and near the fracture site - I'll spare everyone the details, but I've got 3 (large) ones - just above the ankle at the fracture site and 2 along the back of my ankle/heel. I saw them when they took the temp cast off today. Never heard of them before but they are supposedly common (and very gross) and the ortho tech that was putting the cast on could give me no time range for them going away. Doc said they wouldn't affect the surgery, if I got it, b/c he can work the screws around the blister site and the most important incision spot is around the knee, which is unaffected. If anyone's had them, how long did they take to go away? If you had the surgery and had to deal with these things, was it a problem?

I'm just really worried about being back to normal, not necessarily for skating, but generally. The tech guy said I'd have swelling for months, but it wouldn't be that noticeable for that whole time. I'm just realy scared right now, so hearing from those who have been through this with a tibia fracture would be helpful.

TIA!

liz_on_ice
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Has anyone here had (or know someone who had) this type of surgery? I would be interested to hear about the recovery process, whether the rod and screws worked as they should. I asked the doctor if I'd set off metal detectors and he said I might - I think there is a card/letter I can carry stating that - I've heard people with pacemakers have them. I also asked if I'd feel the hardware and he said I'd probably feel the screws and possibly the rod. They can be removed, but would have to stay in for at least 18 months. And that would mean another surgery.

Ugh, I can's say how sorry I am you have to go through this. I haven't broken my leg, but I can give you some somewhat relevent comments from my still healing wrist. I broke the radius clean through and have a plate and screws holding it together now.

The original break didn't hurt that much - by the time the shock wore off the morphine had kicked in. The post-op pain was significantly worse than the original fracture - and lasted around twice as long before it got to the 'only hurts when bumped' stage. During those days I thought having to get surgery sucked big time and dearly wished I could have just been left to heal in peace.

However, since I did have the surgery, I got the cast off after only two weeks and am now running around in a removeable brace. I've started PT to get the movement back. I'm entirely shocked how much my wrist has frozen up after only 3 weeks (surgery 1 week after the break). I would have been casted 6 weeks without the surgery and I don't want to think about how much harder recovering from that would be.

I've heard from someone else who has a wrist plate like mine that it can hurt when it warms up after getting really cold (the contraction/expansion thing) and I'm afraid this may be a problem for me skating. If the rod is all the way inside your bone that shouldn't be a problem for you.

hope that helps at least a little.

rsk8d
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
So sorry about your ankle. I am a pnysical therapist and have seen many patients with either option. With both options, you will have a lot of swelling after the boot/cast. You will have a significant loss of range of motion for a few months. The major difference between the two options is the amount of return of motion, specifically dorsiflexion (bringing your toes and foot toward you). I have noticed a better return of motion in patients who have chosen not to do the plates and screws than those who do chose the hardware. This may be purely by coincedence, yet it has followed a common pattern. The plate may also create a bit more bulk in the ankle and affect your wearing of shoes/skates. The pros to the plate and screws is your are virtually guaranteed that the bone will heal straight, as opposed to gambling without the plate and screws.

The decision is hard to make, and both options aren't any fun. Does the doctor make one recommendation over the other?

NCSkater02
11-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I can offer several points here. I was an orthopedic surgical nurse for 13 years. Tibial rods usually go in pretty easily, heal quickly and generally only come back to remove the screws. The rod usually stays in. Taking the screws out would involve a tiny incision over it, minimal pain, quick recovery. Taking the rod out is a little more difficult. You can move your leg ankle quicker and it won't stiffen as much. If you like your surgeon and he has a good reputation, I would go for the rodding simply for the healing time. Plus, you can wash your leg. Imagine what unwashed for six week smells like!:evil:

You could go back to work before you are completely healed, as long as you can get by on crutches.

RNsk8r
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I have never personally had a tibia fracture, but I do work as an orthopedic nurse practitioner (I am also fairly local to you, so if you want an opinion on your surgeon, feel free to PM me). I would recommend going for the rod mostly for the reasons other people mentioned. You will get your motion back much quicker, less time lugging around a cast, your mobility will be better quicker, etc. I know having surgery sucks, but I think in the long run you will be happier. At least where I am, most if not all fractures similar to yours are treated surgically. As far as risks of surgery, usually the surgery goes really well. Infections are pretty rare as is failure of the hardware/procedure. You would probably be in the boot for 6 wks with no weight bearing then progressive weight bearing with PT. You would certainly be driving sooner after surgery and working too.

Fracture blisters are nasty aren't they. They occur because of the swelling and bleeding that occurs around the site of the fracture(and usually below as well because of gravity). The ones that I have seen take several weeks to resolve. Elevate your leg above your heart and ice, ice, ice. The cold will get through the cast even though it won't feel terribly cold to you.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm sorry this happened, it must really suck. Good luck with your decision, and heal quickly!!

coskater64
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
So sorry to hear about your leg. I have no opinion on if you should do surgery or not, I would research both options and see which you think works best for you.

With regards to the TSA, my mother's metal knee doesn't set off the metal detector but she's 5'4 and 200+, my resurfaced hip sets off the TSA metal detectors at virtually all airports, notes don't work as they can be easily forged, you will have to learn to dress in clothing with no metal, that fits well but is ease to cope with the pat down. After 2 years, it only adds about 10 minutes to my travel time and is not that bad.

Good luck with your choice, my 2nd surgery went really well, but I had an awesome surgeon, so that would be what helped me decide to go for that choice.

Leslie:lol:

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2009, 05:52 AM
*Hugs* What a very horrid thing to happen!

If your doctor is recommending surgery, I'd listen - if it will heal quicker, and help you get back to a normal life, and sooner or later back on the ice, that is probably your best option.

It could well be you won't even need a general anaesthetic - very often, they can do these things with an epidural, although they sedate you so you are pretty well out of it anyway.

Isk8NYC
11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm so sorry about your leg and I hope you heal quickly and uneventfully.

RachelSk8er
11-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Oh wow that's horrible :( I hope you get better quickly. I've been off the ice/injured for just over 2 weeks now in a boot (sprain + hairline fracture) and it sucks, I can't even imagine how much worse it must be for you.

tazsk8s
11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
First of all, to the original poster, no real advice. I am very sorry to hear of your injury though! I hope you have a swift and uneventful recovery regardless of which method you use.

However, since I did have the surgery, I got the cast off after only two weeks and am now running around in a removeable brace. I've started PT to get the movement back. I'm entirely shocked how much my wrist has frozen up after only 3 weeks (surgery 1 week after the break). I would have been casted 6 weeks without the surgery and I don't want to think about how much harder recovering from that would be.

My wrist fracture from this summer was similar to yours, liz_on_ice. Only I went the opposite route - no surgery, 6 weeks of casting. 3 weeks in a full arm cast (over the elbow) and 3 more in a shorter one that gave me the use of the elbow back. And I had practically zero range of motion right after the cast came off, and the whole hand was so weak I couldn't even squeeze a tube of toothpaste effectively. I kept working the range of motion and that did come back pretty quickly - it seemed like every day I could do something that I couldn't do the previous day. The strength has been slower to return, but I haven't been working on that as much as I probably should be. The one positive about the cast was, I was almost entirely pain-free immediately after they casted it. I took the vicodin from the ER for the first day or so, switched to regular old Tylenol for a couple of days after that, and never really needed anything after that.

We've had a couple of cold spells already and I *have* noticed it does get a bit sore when the weather changes.

Scarlett
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry about the injury. That sounds awful.

I suggest the surgery. Not only will you get out of your casts quicker and have a better QOL but those at our age should have our lower limbs immobilized as little as possible just due to increased risks of blood clots.

Wishing you the best in your recovery-

Skate@Delaware
11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
So sorry to hear about your injury! Not sure if this is along the same line of injury & repair-several years ago one of the hockey guys got slammed into the boards. His foot went one way his body another and he fractured his leg in pretty much the same way as yours. He had external hardware & screws installed. He had a rolling walker for his leg (pretty fun for the girls at the rink to play with) and in a short time he was out of the contraption and into rehab. It took a bit longer for him to get back on the ice because of some residual swelling and fear on his part (he was slammed really hard) but the next year he was back and in great form.

momsk8er
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
So sorry to hear about your leg. That must have been awful. Whatever you do, heal quickly.

Debbie S
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Quick update: I am having surgery tomorrow. Saw a doctor today who thinks I should have it ASAP, b/c I was going crazy in the hard cast. There is the risk of developing compartment syndrome (think Tessa Virtue last season) when operating when the leg is still swollen but there is a risk of clots if we wait. I am very worried about clots so they are going to give me shots of luvenox (sp?) post-surgery. Shots in the abdomen. Oh boy. 1 shot each day for the first 5 days after surgery. Maybe I can get my mom to give me those - she's always enjoyed medical stuff. While they split the cast open today so the new doc could look at my leg, I hid my eyes while my mom peered over at it, with the docs (there were 3, b/c the doc I saw is going out of town for a conference tonight so one of her colleagues is doing it).

I'm really scared of surgery and anesthesia and the whole pain and recovery process, but I don't have a choice. I know I need to think positive.

I'll stay overnight in the hospital tomorrow night and then I'll go to my parents' for the weekend, where I hope I'll be well enough to watch Skate America on IN and TV.

Thank you all for your support and I'll check back in when I can. :)

phoenix
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
GOOD LUCK!! We'll be thinking of you.

Isk8NYC
11-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Be strong! We're all pulling for you!

dbny
11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm really scared of surgery and anesthesia and the whole pain and recovery process, but I don't have a choice. I know I need to think positive.
:)

I am too, so I remind myself what a blessing it is that we have modern medicine when we really need it! Good luck & best wishes for a speedy recovery.

ibreakhearts66
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Good luck! Try to stay as positive as possible--I've found this makes a difference, at least for me, in how I feel coming out of anesthesia.

I'm glad to hear they'll be keeping you overnight. Don't be shy about asking for more pain medication if you need it. In the past, I was nervous about asking for certain pain meds or saying morphine doesn't help me, but I finally learned to speak up until the pain was gone.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery, easy pain management and a quick recovery!

fsk8r
11-12-2009, 04:34 AM
I am too, so I remind myself what a blessing it is that we have modern medicine when we really need it! Good luck & best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I had a surgeon who reminded me of a the bottle of whisky they gave to Nelson before chopping his arm off. Wasn't really what I needed to hear, but does show the blessings of modern medicine.
Surgery isn't really that bad. Just take care and look after yourself afterwards. Pain management is key as is getting sleep when you need it.

liz_on_ice
11-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Good luck.

Don't take your pain meds on an empty stomach.

feel better soon.

pairman2
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Best Wishes for a very speedy and comfortable recovery Deb !!!

flo
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Debbie - So sorry to hear about your fall! Take care and heal well.

Debbie S
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I had surgery on Thurs, stayed overnight at the hospital, came home Friday to my parents' condo (no steps) where I will probably stay until T-giving. On Wed the 25th I go back to the doc to have the hard cast removed and they'll put me in a sock or stocking or something with a walking boot. No weight-bearing, but I'll at least be able to shower normally and can drive and possibly return to work. It's a min of 6 weeks (I guess these next 2 weeks are included) of no weight-bearing, but could be longer, and then partial weight-bearing and PT.

The doc said the surgery went well, everything is lined up and he's optimistic, but he also said that the swelling could take up to a year to fully go away (which means I might not fit into my shoes or skates until then) and that the screws might cause a prob with skate fitting - b/c my ankle is thin and the screws might be felt (after he said that, I started envisioning having the cast taken off and seeing screws poking out of my skin, although he says that won't happen). I can have the screws removed after 6 mos, though, if they are a problem.

Since I got home, the pain has been pretty bad. Today was the first day I felt well enough to get out of bed and walk/crutch to the kitchen where the computer is. I was glad to at least be able to watch the FD live (and the NBC broadcast earlier). The doc's assistant said the swelling and pain reach their peak at 72 hrs post-op, so if that is true, the pain should be on the downward side. I've also got to take an antibiotic every 6 hours for about 4 days and have shots of Lovenox to prevent clots. Originally, they told me I'd get 5 - 1 a day for 5 days - but apparently the 5-day dose is very concentrated and I don't weigh enough for that option, so I get them for 14 days. 8O (yeah, I know, it's better than getting clots...)

I know I'll get through this, but it's so hard to look ahead at months of recovery. At this point, I just want the pain to stop and to have my life back. Not just skating, but everything. I can't go to the Kaleidoscope show Monday (Dorothy Hamill cancer benefit in DC), which sounds awesome, and no Easterns, and not really much of anything that involves leaving the house. And I really hate showering on a bench....although it will probably be easier once the casting comes off and I don't need to deal with the plastic shield.

liz_on_ice
11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
glad to hear the update and that you are feeling a little better. once you get that hard cast off and get to wash you'll start feeling better. I found myself really perking up just a few days into PT. Maybe too perky :roll:

dbny
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
(((((Debbie))))) I'm so glad the surgery went well and you are on the mend. Thank goodness you can stay with your parents and not have to deal with steps! If you don't have a subscription to IceNetwork, this might be the time to buy one. Of course, it's nothing like going to the events, but at least you can see almost everything whenever you want. I give you tons of credit. I think I would be crying buckets in your place.

Skate@Delaware
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Glad your surgery went well! Take care of yourself and be sure to eat right and get plenty of fluids. When you go physical therapy, be sure to address the issue of swelling/edema and ask about massage to counter that.

Later on, when you start skating, you might have to put some gel sleeves on (maybe doubled up) to pad so you don't feel the screws pushing in. The hockey guy at my rink did that, altho he was in hockey skates and only had to worry about the screws near his navicular bone, not the ones higher up. Once he padded them he was ok with not feeling them as much.

flo
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Debbie,
Glad all went well. Everyone at Mt. P sends their best. Dennis and Jeff say hi and send along their hopes for a speedy recovery.
Please let me know if you need anything.

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Hugs Debbie!

Isk8NYC
11-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Debbie:

I'm glad things went okay with the surgery and that you have a place to recover safely. (Hopefully, your parents will take good care of you.)

I am sorry the anti-clotting medicine involves so many shots, but it's a necessary evil, right?

Get well soon!

cherriee
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Just reading your post Debbie and feeling sorry for you. I wish you a speedy recovery.

doubletoe
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to send a big (((HUG))). Hang in there!!

Debbie S
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for your support!

I'm now off the pain meds and antibiotic I was taking and am now taking Tylenol....and Benadryl, b/c I am apparently allergic to one of the 3 meds (painkiller, anti-nausea drug, and clindamycin)....and have a rash to show for it. Yuck! I talked to my surgeon's P.A. this morning about that and the tingling sensations I'm having in my leg under the cast. I was worried about an infection but she said the tingling is a good sign and means the nerve cells are regenerating. Still taking the Lovenox shots - she said it's rare to have a reaction to that and it is most likey the other meds.

One week from today and I get this blasted cast off. But then I also have to look at the scarring and whatever else lies beneath. 8O

jazzpants
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Minus the rash... Sounds like everything else is encouraging. (Yes, "tingling" sound very hopeful in this case.). I'm still sending "good health" and "speedy recovery" thoughts to 'ya over there in the East Coast!) :D

liz_on_ice
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
8O let them put that tape over the incision and let it heal more before you look. tingling sounds good, sending good cast-off vibes.

LilJen
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Debbie--sounds like the healing is progressing well. I broke my ankle a couple of years back and there was no question that I needed pins & a plate (fibula broken clear through and a tip of the tibia broken off). My recovery went OK, GREATLY assisted by good PT and regular at-home exercises, but I did end up having the hardware removed a few months later for two reasons (1) The metal ended up giving me pain to the point that I couldn't exercise any more (2) I couldn't flex my ankle enough, which made stairs and (of course) skating difficult.

Getting into the skates 3-4 months postsurgery took some finagling, but it worked for a while with gel pads. The second surgery to remove the hardware was easy-peasy and I was walking the next day. I feel for you on the Lovenox (low-molecular-weight) injections (do you often clot or do you have a higher than usual risk of clots)--I had to inject myself twice daily with heparin while pregnant and for 6 weeks postpartum and it was NO FUN. My sis was pregnant at the same time and had an autoinjector, but I had to shove that needle in all by myself. . .

Debbie S
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I feel for you on the Lovenox (low-molecular-weight) injections (do you often clot or do you have a higher than usual risk of clots) I think this is standard protocol for surgeries that leave you off your feet for a while. Anytime you are sitting/lying down for long periods, you run the risk of a clot. Taking an aspirin a day is another option, but my doc said that although it is known that aspirin thins the blood, there is no evidence that it decreases clot risk. So I'm doing the shots.

I am so freakin mad right now. I don't believe the rash is entirely from the earlier meds. Because the rash on the surgery leg is intense, almost hive-like, and extends as far down as I can fold back the bandage at the top. Probably down to my foot for all I know. Plus the rash on my torso and now arms. I've moved from Benadryl to a stronger anti-histamine and not much change. I suspect the tingling was more rash than nerve cell regeneration. And after talking to the immeasurably unhelpful P.A., I looked up the name of the surgical scrub they used and it turns out it is contraindicated for people with thyroid disorders, which I have (hypo) and told everyone at the doctor's office and hospital about.

I called my endocrinologist who thinks it is a localized reaction and not a general allergic reaction. So the other rash may be from the meds. I just made an appt for a "dressing change" tomorrow morning. I don't even want to think about what my leg is going to look like, but I've clearly got to get this crap cleaned off and get new bandages. They're going to have to put me back in another cast until Wed, but I think it's better to do at least something now rather than wait.

Taking prednisone (which I've taken before for hives) is not recommended right now b/c it could inhibit the healing of the incision.

I must have been asked 5 times, by each doc and nurse, what leg was being operated on, and the doc drew his initials on my leg, all in the name of avoiding a medical mistake. Part of their "Patient Safety Initiative". I guess patient safety doesn't include checking underlying medical conditions and possible reactions to materials/meds used in surgery? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ETA: Just talked to my mom's allergy doctor. He does not think prednisone would inhibit the healing but would like to see it first before prescribing anything. We might go tomorrow b/c he can look at the upper thigh area at least. He thinks the rash on the other areas is from the oxycodone (painkiller). He told me to take Benadryl along with the stronger antihistamine I took earlier. If anything, it will knock me out and make me sleep.

Isk8NYC
11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
How frustrated and uncomfortable you must be right now. (((DEBBIE S)))

Debbie S
11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm now back from my appt. And I'm in a walking boot! Not to walk but a removable cast. As I was sitting in the cast room with the tech pulling off the cast stuff, the doc walked by and looked at everything. I was a bit horrified by the sight of my extremely swollen ankle but the tech said that everything looks good. 8O The rash was only down to a little below my knees, not all the way down as I feared. Tech gave me baby wipes to clean off the gunk above the stitches.

It turns out that the surgical scrub the PA told me they used was not the one used after all. Doc thinks it might be a latex allergy - I've never had problems before but I guess there's a first time for everything. As the doc looked over my leg, he suggested getting x-rays and going into a walking boot today. I was like, really? So I got the x-rays - somewhat painful b/c I had to bend my knee and ankle, but I survived - and then got a boot, with a thin white stocking that goes just above the knee. My ankle is a few degrees short of 90 when it bends but the doc wants me to work on it - periodically taking the boot off and flexing back and forth. He worked a little on it and said it looks good.

He showed me the x-rays and I could see the rod and screws. 4 screws total - 2 near the knee and 2 at the ankle. The ones at the ankle look like they could pop out of the skin when the swelling goes down - they were right up against the 'shadow' on the x-rays, and the screws aren't shrinking... I asked the doc about the timeframe for removal and he said he wasn't planning on removing anything. I'm like, huh, b/c that's not what he said at the hospital, but I suppose there's plenty of time to address that. I really would prefer not to have hardware in me the rest of my life.

Then he said it could be a year before I'd be able to fit into my skate, b/c that's how long it takes for the swelling to completely go down. 8O And then he suggested getting a larger boot in the meantime, lol. I guess I could have that skate stretched or punched.

He said that ankle breaks heal faster than leg breaks. Just my luck. :cry:

But at least I'm not in that blasted cast anymore. I do still have to go back Wed to get the stitches removed.

dbny
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Congrats on being out of the cast and on everything healing so well. Maybe when you mentioned removing the screws, the doctor thought you meant in the near future, as opposed to way down the line when the swelling is all gone and you've had time to find out if they bother you.

liz_on_ice
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Yay! Enjoy the plaster-free living. :lol:

FWIW, The ER doctor who first told me I'd likely need a plate said most people don't notice it and just leave it in rather than have another surgery to remove it. She quoted me something like 1 in 2000 people have it taken out. Now that is wrist, not ankle, but you might as well wait and see how it feels.

londonicechamp
11-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi Debbie

Glad that your surgery is progressing well, and that you are in your parents' house, so that they can look after you.

Well, just take your time to rest, before going on the ice again, as you certainly do not want to make your injuries worse.

And if you are bored of having nothing to do, and frustrated of not being able to get onto the ice, maybe you can watch some ice skating DVDs. Just a thought.

londonicechamp

sk8pics
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah, my surgeon had originally planned to take out just one of the three screws in my ankle, but then he changed his mind and took all three out. So the important thing is that your doc listen to what you're saying about how it feels, and is adjusting his plan accordingly.

gt20001
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I personally had this same type of break. I was given both options. I opted for the surgery. Like you said they said I might need it anyway if it didnt heal so I didnt want to go through the pain with the cast then have surgery still. The surgery wasnt bad. The worst thing was the staples in the knee. After they were out it wasnt bad at all. The main bone that they put the rod in barely hurt at all it was the smaller bone that bothered me. Becuase there wasnt a cast over it when i would turn over sometimes it would bother that bone. I didnt have to sleep with the boot on. I mainly wore it when i was out to protect the leg from getting hit. I was able to shower early on and take baths once the incision healed without trying to keep my leg dry. You are able to clean the leg (carefully). I was also able to flex the ankle a little which helped it from getting stiff. My leg didnt heal even with the surgery i had to have a bone stimulator but i was still able to walk on it with the boot after a couple months and then without the boot i just still had to use the bone stimulator. It ultimately healed right. I didnt have much problem with the rod. THe only issue was one of the screws down at my ankle when i started skating again the pressure of the boot made it bother me but that has subsided. As of now i havent had it removed and have no problems. This was 3 years ago. I may have it removed but am waiting a little while. If i had this happen again i would personally do surgery again. Hope this helps.

Careygram
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm another one in your club. 1995 did a double flip, left toepick came down for whatever reason and I did the rest of the rotation with my foot stuck in the ice. Tibia and Fibula fractures all up and down the bones, rod and four screws. All my hardware was removed.

Bottom line-- skated a year later, haven't left the ice or had problems since. Key is PATIENCE. Take your time, recover properly, do the physical therapy and take it day by day. You can do it and you will skate again if you want to.

Good luck, wishing you a speedy and painless (as possible) recovery.
From Debbie to Debbie :)

Debbie S
11-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Bottom line-- skated a year later, haven't left the ice or had problems since. Key is PATIENCE. Take your time, recover properly, do the physical therapy and take it day by day. You can do it and you will skate again if you want to.

Good luck, wishing you a speedy and painless (as possible) recovery.
From Debbie to Debbie :)Thanks, Debbie. :)

How long did you wait to have the hardware removed? And everything's been OK, no knee problems? That's good to know.

Careygram
11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
So my rod and screws were put in at the end of June and I had everything out by March of the next year. And I have not had even one issue due to that injury. I was blessed to have had an amazing doctor. And it was so funny because that orthopedic group in princeton was the same that was working on Sergei Grinkov. I missed him and katia by TWO DAYS. I said "OMG you should have called me". They were like "why?". Argh...

Anyway, I feel great. Have a positive attitude and look for the good somehow. I got to spend an entire summer with my family on the beach, at the chesapeake bay, at the movies, doing all kinds of fun things with my mom so it was one of the best times that came from a bad time.

I hope you're better even today :bow:
Debbie

Debbie S
11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Debbie, and everyone. Just got back from having the stitches taken out. Will still be 2 weeks before I can wash the leg. I asked doc about daily icing and he said that yes, it will help the swelling go down, so that's what I will be doing. My Lovenox shots end tomorrow and he said the effects wear off after 12 hours.....which means I can have a drink Friday night - I think I need one, lol. Unfortunately, no ibuprofen for 3 months, b/c it inhibits bone healing - I was hoping to be able to take something stronger than Tylenol for pain.

He had me bend my ankle and knee and both can go to 90 degrees. He said I can take my foot out of the boot for up to an hour a day total (like 4 15 min periods or something) and flex the ankle.

I asked him if he thought the break was a sign of weak bones and he said no. I told him that I'd been thinking if there was a way I could have prevented the injury somehow - his response: give up skating. As if! :lol: :halo:

I asked about removal of the hardware and he said that he usually takes out the screws if people are having problems, but leaves the rod in. But he said if I wanted the rod out, he could remove that, too. It wouldn't be for a year. And he said the issue with rod removal was that I'd have to go through a knee rehab since it would involve moving my knee around.

I asked him about whether I'd need to take antibiotics for my dentist appt next month and he said to just wait 6 mos before going. 8O OK, that would mean a year between cleanings. I have 4 cavities, but none since about 11 years ago and I sure don't want to get any more, if I can help it. Grrr.

jazzpants
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I told him that I'd been thinking if there was a way I could have prevented the injury somehow - his response: give up skating. As if! :lol: :halo:
RIIIIIGHT!!!!! NOT!!! :twisted:

I asked him about whether I'd need to take antibiotics for my dentist appt next month and he said to just wait 6 mos before going. 8O OK, that would mean a year between cleanings. I have 4 cavities, but none since about 11 years ago and I sure don't want to get any more, if I can help it. Grrr.Okay, if you don't already have this, shell out the $ for a Sonicare (http://www.sonicare.com/) toothbrush. Very easy to use AND my dentist tells me that practically all his patients that used it properly had improved checkups since using it. Of course, most of his patients are those little old ladies and men from Chinatown that does the tai-chi class near the parks of Chinatown. I really don't expect them to do anything but the cheapo manual toothbrushes that my dentist hands to them for free after their checkup. :P :giveup: