View Full Version : Why do skaters keep gliding on Spirals?

FSWer
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Say,I've always wondered about this. But WHY do skaters keep going on a Spiral after lifting their foot off a 2-Foot Glide, rather then just stop in place from not having the use of 2 feet to glide? I mean when I've tried it I've skated on 2 feet. But as soon as I lift my foot I stop. Why?

sk8joyful
11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Do you start your 2-ft. glides on the flat, meaning you are skating 'straight forward'? This is usually the easiest way to start, as you lift your free-foot. Then as you feel comfortably, you can give it more speed ;) such that when you lift your foot, you will continue... in a straight line.

After you gain confidence skating on one foot straight ahead, you can do this also on an edge, such that you skate in a spiral. - And with more practice, you can start lifting your free-foot progressively higher, until you can begin approximating what a real forward spiral looks like.

Your question sounds like you are still learning how to skate on one foot, yes? - How did your class-teacher show you how to do it right?

Clarice
11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Two foot glide, one foot glide - it doesn't matter. The blades will keep going forward until you run out of speed or unless you do something to make them stop. If you're stopping when you pick up one foot, either you aren't going fast enough to keep on gliding, or you're changing something about the foot you're standing on - like digging in the toe pick. I'd have to be able to see you skate to be able to tell you exactly what's causing you the problem.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
I know what you mean - when I started skating I had huge trouble holding an edge (or even a flat) going backwards. I expect it's because you haven't yet learnt to push hard enough to get yourself going. As Clarice says, we'd need to see you skate to see exactly why it's not happening, but if you keep on practising, you should find you are moving more freely.

caffn8me
11-10-2009, 07:54 AM
You need to build up your confidence and your balance by doing plain vanilla one foot glides before you can do a spiral. Then it's a question of building up speed to gain momentum.

I started doing one foot glides with the free foot lifted only a few inches off the ice against the ankle of the skating foot. My coach then got me to place the free foot (the one I've lifted off the ice) against the knee of the skating leg and skate further. I have practised this a lot and now if the ice is good I can get the full length of an Olympic sized rink on one foot after a few power strokes. I'm now working on doing the same backwards.

Get your one foot glides working nicely and then increase the speed. Once you've done that you should be able to learn to do spirals on the move.

Good luck!

Sarah