View Full Version : Fun Dance Competition

sk8ergalgal
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
So my friend and I might be competing in a fun dance competition. We have to do the Blues and Quickstep. We have never done a dance competition before and need some help. Is it customary to choreograph something before and after the dance? Also what should we wear.. were both girls and were both named Meagan. Were looking for something inexpensive as this is probably our only dance competition of the season.
Any suggestions are appreciated. :bow:

Mrs Redboots
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Sounds like fun.

The dance proper must start on the 1st beat of the 9th bar, so any opening choreography you do must fit into 8 bars. And it must match the character of the dance - it won't be judged, but it will give a good impression to the judges! As for ending choreography - keep it short, just a sort of "This was us!" bit. In some competitions they just switch the music off when you've done the required number of sequences, in which case it looks silly to do something that goes on for several bars in dead silence!

As for what to wear - an ordinary skating dress is fine, but if you need to match, why not go on the hunt for cheap disco-dance dresses? They are usually a great compromise, although I'd suggest holding your tights up with dark (or matching, if you can find them) "full briefs" as they're called here - big knickers!